• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm expecting Pence to fumble in the VP debate, resulting in more poor coverage. We'll likely get anti-Hillary leaks after that but it's too late.

Pence isn't smart but he will prepare. I don't think there will be a clear winner in this debate, but I also don't think anyone will care. The sideshow of the veeps just isn't all that interesting given the strangeness of the things going on at the top of the ticket.

leroidys

Trump is really going to attack Hillary over Monica at a Townhall:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/01/us/politics/hillary-bill-clinton-donald-trump.html?_r=0

Hillary about to end this man's entire career.

Nah.

Take the hacking of the DNC to try to help Trump. Everyone says "oh, wow, so smart, Putin getting someone who likes Russian into the white house!" but Putin is now poisoning relationships with Democrats and if he gets Trump elected, Trump will invade Iran (one of Russia's only allies).

Putin is amazing at finding chess moves that help him out two moves from now while killing him seven moves from now.
Possibly,I think that's a too-narrow and premature reading of his strategy here though. His objective is to weaken peoples trust in the US political system, not just in the US but abroad, and I think the hacks have accomplished that. I don't think he cares so much who gets into office, so long their clout at home and abroad is weakened.

Looking at something like Crimea and Ukraine, it's rather the opposite of what you said. The near term economic ramifications were severe, but long term it will be to Russia's advantage.

Then there are Russia's efforts to sow discord and support right wing ethnic nationalism in Europe, which have recently resulted in Britain leaving the UK. You can bet that there were champagne bottles popping in Moscow that night.

There are countless more examples of his successes, from disabling Russia's nascent democracy to modernizing her military and propaganda machine to bringing Chechnya to heel.

There have been set backs for sure, but Puttin is slowly a achieving many of his long term goals for Russia.

Geg

If they had anything I don't see why they wouldn't have already put it out to try to distract from all the negative stuff that comes out about Trump, unless they're really adamant about waiting for October

jmdajr

If they had anything I don't see why they wouldn't have already put it out to try to distract from all the negative stuff that comes out about Trump, unless they're really adamant about waiting for October

Sadly folks have a short memory. Guess it's not a bad strategy.

Just saw CNN teasing something about Trump's Mic at the debate.

Only affected sound levels in the auditorium to the 1000 people in the hall. Not the broadcast.

There have been set backs for sure, but Puttin is slowly a achieving many of his long term goals for Russia

Disagree. I think he's hurt his long-term goals for short term gains, a move necessary to cement his support with a population that might have wavered if it wasn't for the nationalism that he's been stoking (driven by the events he's participated in).

The country isn't moving forward economically towards a hybird resource/post-industrial economic base that they need to move towards to have the economic influence to both support their military adventures as well as form deep ties with neighboring countries that they can slowly start to bring under their sphere of influence.

Having a strong sphere of influence is Russia's goal. It requires a lot of things to happen that will take a lot of time to play out. So the country itself needs to have vibrant economic growth and modernization to prevent the experiment from falling apart as it plays out. That's not happening.

thebloo

jmdajr

Man. I still don't know how this race is even close.

Anyhow I think GOP are hosed and crazy people are going to be screwing up their primary process for years to come.

Congress is their last line of defense.

Effect

His complaining about his mic though never made any sense. It didn't change how he answered or what he actual said. He said those things under his own will power. He physically performed the way he did under his own power. Clearly Hillary and Holt could hear him and respond to him. He came across completely fine sound wise to everyone watching the debate on TV and the stream. Is he complaining that the audience at the debate didn't hear him because no one was responding when they were instructed to not respond? He wasn't at a rally or in a room filled with his supporters.

What exactly is he blaming the mic on? That has never made any sense.

Boke1879

Y'all worry too much. Over 80 million people heard him look like an idiot and even laughed at him. Everyone knew what he's saying.

And right now he's gotta bigger things to worry about other than a damn "defective" mic.

leroidys

Disagree. I think he's hurt his long-term goals for short term gains, a move necessary to cement his support with a population that might have wavered if it wasn't for the nationalism that he's been stoking (driven by the events he's participated in).

The country isn't moving forward economically towards a hybird resource/post-industrial economic base that they need to move towards to have the economic influence to both support their military adventures as well as form deep ties with neighboring countries that they can slowly start to bring under their sphere of influence.

Having a strong sphere of influence is Russia's goal. It requires a lot of things to happen that will take a lot of time to play out. So the country itself needs to have vibrant economic growth and modernization to prevent the experiment from falling apart as it plays out. That's not happening.
None of that is true though. Yes, the economy doesn't look like a modern western one, yes, the style of corrupt authoritarianism applied is not good for growth and diversification, but if you compare the Russian economy of 2000 to today, it has made enormous strides, especially in financial and tech sectors.

Y'all worry too much. Over 80 million people heard him look like an idiot and even laughed at him. Everyone knew what he's saying.

And right now he's gotta bigger things to worry about other than a damn "defective" mic.

Also, this. No one cares if Trump's mic was defective. The damage is done, only his base cares, and none of this matters because the television audience could hear him perfectly.

Hopfrog

Wow. At about 47 minutes in he goes in hard bragging about winning more votes than any Republican ever, including Reagan, Nixon, and Eisenhower, who "won the Second World War," by the way, if you didn't know. So in a way Trump's victory is bigger than the U.S. winning World War II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom