• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
i read the comments and it's my fault.
thanks for the reminder, i should have read them on the NFL piece:
JamesARoberts 4 days ago
So if these players think the African American have been oppressed, there are plenty of slaves still in Africa as we speak. When they are in off season are they going to help their brother and sisters in Africa. Donate 1/2 their salary I doubt it.
Myths1967 3 days ago
Considering we are a military family, we will not be watching or going to anymore NFL games. I am done with this mess, if they don't like America go somewhere else...
pirate64 4 days ago
@JamesARoberts Where is the oppression. Yes police have killed Blacks. Some of them but very few may have been unjustified. There have been prosecutions and confictions. Blacks have been slaughtering each other. Where the angry protests against that? America does a wonderful job helping the truly needy. Free and subsidized housing, free food stamps and more each time a baby is born, free phones ad infinitum. What do these protesters want? Serious question.
Xiled 3 days ago
@Myths1967 I agree, I earned my citizenship by humping it through the jungle with the 75th Rangers, H company, I will never watch another NFL game
RepubCA 4 days ago
Kaepernick has freedom of speech to say whatever he wants...ON HIS OWN TIME! When he is representing the 49ers or the NFL, he is not allowed to do so!
HillaryIsMissPiggy 4 days ago
Blacks are exhausting.

It's never enough for them, even though they've been given EVERY POSSIBLE ADVANTAGE over every other race in the U.S.

AniHawk

Gen X is the real silent generation. Never mentioned, never discussed. We seem to obsess over the boomers and millenials and skip out the bulk of the current working age population.

gotta feel a little bad for them - they were the new hotness in the 80s and 90s and then around the 00s everyone stopped caring.

that'll never happen to the millenials though. we'll be around for at least a thousand years.

benjipwns

Banned
gotta feel a little bad for them - they were the new hotness in the 80s and 90s and then around the 00s everyone stopped caring.

that'll never happen to the millenials though. we'll be around for at least a thousand years.
They got MTV in its prime, what more do they want?

This is awesome

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-poll-decoder/

polll-decoder-e1474374314731.png

Clinton needs to improve in 35-49 even more IMO.

PoliGAF doesn't care about non-Nates with Wang analysis.

Monmouth Florida poll at 1.

HylianTom

Banned
They got MTV in its prime, what more do they want?
That was pretty sweet. Music videos playing in the background while doing homework..

I like growing up when I did. We got to live in the world before it went digital-crazy (this is where my Luddite ass does a Kiff sigh), and then we got to grow with the transition.

I remember magazines and TV media dissecting us pretty thoroughly back in the mid-90s, but nowhere near the extent to which millennials are being subjected.

thefro

we haven't blamed generation x for anything this election cycle yet, have we?

Not sure how Clinton can win when Millennials, Gen X, and the Baby Boomers are all awful and the people older than that who are left are the core Trump supporter group.

Emarv

Don't know if you guys have checked out Sam Wang's Woocast: Politics & Polls Podcast, but you should. Normally it's pretty dry, despite Wang being super smart. It's got some good historical context and Wang doesn't shy away from throwing rational shade on people.

But you should really start on their latest episode on Gender & Politics. They have on Rebecca Traister and have a legit wonderful discussion on Hillary in the context of gender history and the rough history of political feminism. Probably my favorite podcast they've done so far. Traister tells a wonderful story about the 08 primaries I'd never heard before, and, despite the terrible history we have with female representation in this country, I walked away really optimistic and proud of what Obama & Hillary mean for this country.

benjipwns

Banned
Sometimes I'm listed a millennial sometimes I'm not. I certainly was never in with the millennials before like 2008 or something.
Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe are widely credited with naming the Millennials.[1] They coined the term in 1987, around the time the children born in 1982 were entering preschool, and the media were first identifying their prospective link to the millennial year as the high school graduating class of the year 2000.[2] They wrote about the cohort in their 1991 book Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069,[3] and released a book in 2000 titled Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation.[2]

In August 1993, an Ad Age editorial coined the phrase Generation Y to describe those who were aged 11 or younger as well as the teenagers of the upcoming ten years who were defined as different from Generation X.[4] Since then, the company has sometimes used 1982 as the starting birth year.[5] According to Horovitz, in 2012, Ad Age "threw in the towel by conceding that Millennials is a better name than Gen Y",[1] and by 2014, a past director of data strategy at Ad Age said to NPR "the Generation Y label was a placeholder until we found out more about them".[6]

Alternative names for this group proposed include Generation We,[7] Global Generation, Generation Next[8] and the Net Generation.[9] Millennials are sometimes called Echo Boomers,.[10] A 2004 60 Minutes newscast reported "they're called 'echo boomers' because they're the genetic offspring and demographic echo of their parents, the baby boomers." The term refers to the generation's size relative to the Baby Boomer generation and due to the significant increase in birth rates during the 1980s and into the 1990s. In the United States, birth rates peaked in August 1990[11][12] and a 20th-century trend toward smaller families in developed countries continued.[13][14] In his book The Lucky Few: Between the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boom, author Elwood Carlson called this cohort the "New Boomers".[15]Newsweek used the term Generation 9/11 to refer to young people who were between the ages of 10 and 20 years during the September 11 attacks. The first reference to "Generation 9/11" was made in the cover story of the 12 November 2001 issue of Newsweek.[16]
American sociologist Kathleen Shaputis labeled Millennials as the Boomerang Generation or Peter Pan generation
A minority of sources start the generation in the 1970s. A 2014 report from Synchrony Financial describes Millennials as starting as early as 1976,[19][20] and a 2009 report from MetLife defines the generation as being born between 1977 and 1994
i can't even

Link

The Autumn Wind
More importantly, Sean Hannity is doing a townhall with Trump on....African American issues. How many AA's watch Fox News again? 2%? Its abundantly clear who this is aimed at.
The worst part is I feel like this strategy is working for him.

benjipwns

Banned
Don't know if you guys have checked out Sam Wang's Woocast: Politics & Polls Podcast, but you should. Normally it's pretty dry, despite Wang being super smart. It's got some good historical context and Wang doesn't shy away from throwing rational shade on people.

But you should really start on their latest episode on Gender & Politics. They have on Rebecca Traister and have a legit wonderful discussion on Hillary in the context of gender history and the rough history of political feminism. Probably my favorite podcast they've done so far. Traister tells a wonderful story about the 08 primaries I'd never heard before, and, despite the terrible history we have with female representation in this country, I walked away really optimistic and proud of what Obama & Hillary mean for this country.
Victoria Woodhull and Belva Ann Lockwood or discredited.

Also,
In 1940, the team launched a similar stunt when Allen announced she was running for President of the United States on the Surprise Party ticket. Allen did a cross-country whistlestop campaign tour on a private train, performing their live radio show in different cities. In one of her campaign speeches Gracie said, "I don't know much about the Lend-Lease Bill, but if we owe it we should pay it." Another typical Gracie-ism on the campaign trail went like this: "Everybody knows a woman is better than a man when it comes to introducing bills into the house." The Surprise Party mascot was the kangaroo; the motto was "It's in the bag." As part of the gag, Allen (in reality, the Burns and Allen writers) published a book, Gracie Allen for President, which included photographs from their nationwide campaign tour and the Surprise Party convention. Allen received an endorsement from Harvard University,

Ezra Heywood, just because of what he got charged with.

kevin1025

Banned
Sometimes I'm listed a millennial sometimes I'm not. I certainly was never in with the millennials before like 2008 or something.

i can't even

Huh, I'm a millennial. As someone who is balding, that is weirdly reassuring!

At the same time, though... so many people coining terms.

HylianTom

Banned
That USC poll has Trump +5 today. Seems like movement towards Hillary is being shown in a fair number of places now.

And the head of Monmouth polling will be on CNN after noon (Eastern) with Wolf Blitzer to discuss their latest Florida poll.

Meanwhile, Nikki Haley has tweeted her morning music selection..

i can't even

We are all milennials.

Seriously, the criteria for who is and isn't a millennial is so liquid. Everybody born after 1982 is a millennial. I was born in 1991, but I'm a millennial. My girlfriend was born in 1994, but she's a millennial. My sister, who is 17, is a "young millennial."

Like wtf.

But I've noticed a lot of "millennials" referring to everybody born before 1982 who is still alive as "boomers." So, whatever. Nothing means anything anymore. We need broad labels to enable our thinkpieces.

That USC poll has Trump +5 today. Seems like movement towards Hillary is being shown in a fair number of places now.

And the head of Monmouth polling will be on CNN after noon (Eastern) with Wolf Blitzer to discuss their latest Florida poll.

Meanwhile, Nikki Haley has tweeted her morning music selection..

802.gif

Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in meeeeeeeeeee.

Tamanon

Banned
I will say, I was surprised at seeing a good amount of enthusiasm amongst Hillary supporters at the local Centerfest fair in Durham this past weekend. My wife got a yard sign from their booth and then got in conversations with a lot of women that were really excited about her.

The Jill Stein booth was dead(was next to a folk singer and Greenpeace), and the Republican booth wasn't hopping too much (a lot of old white people, shockingly).

No Gary Johnson booth oddly enough.

I will say, I was surprised at seeing a good amount of enthusiasm amongst Hillary supporters at the local Centerfest fair in Durham this past weekend. My wife got a yard sign from their booth and then got in conversations with a lot of women that were really excited about her.

The Jill Stein booth was dead(was next to a folk singer and Greenpeace), and the Republican booth wasn't hopping too much (a lot of old white people, shockingly).

No Gary Johnson booth oddly enough.

Was the Jill Stein booth more or less dead than Harambe. Who is actually dead.

Crisco

Banned
I find it absolutely incredible that they took this bombing suspect alive. Every time there's a police shooting, there's always a few people who ask "why didn't they shoot him in the extremities? why did they shoot to kill?", and then the "experts" chime in saying that cops are only trained to aim for center of mass, vital organs, etc.... It sounds reasonable, except now we know that is complete and total bullshit. Looks like cops are perfectly capable of taking down an armed suspect alive, if they want to.

Plumbob

WASHINGTON — The Department of Homeland Security granted citizenship to hundreds of people who had previously been ordered deported or removed under different names because of flaws in keeping fingerprint records, according to a report released Monday.

The report from the department’s Office of Inspector General found that nearly 900 individuals were granted citizenship because neither the agency nor the F.B.I. databases contained all of the fingerprint records of people who had previously been ordered to be deported.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/2...s-allowed-hundreds-to-become-us-citizens.html

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Do people notice Hillary is copying my airplane rallies - she puts the plane behind her like I have been doing from the beginning.

Huh?

Steven GinsbergVerified account
‏@stevenjay
New revelations from @fahrenthold about the Trump Foundation coming shortly.
OHHH

What about nominees who weren't President?

Goldwater
Romney
Landon
Hughes
Dole
Dewey
Willkie
McCain

McGovern
Gore
Stevenson
Humphrey
Dukakis
Kerry
Davis
Mondale
Cox
Smith
Clinton

Perot
Buchanan

La Follette
Roosevelt

had to really shuffle around those Dems a number of times

No Anderson love?

Valhelm

contribute something
What about nominees who weren't President?

Goldwater
Romney
Landon
Hughes
Dole
Dewey
Willkie
McCain

McGovern
Gore
Stevenson
Humphrey