• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
This open letter to swing voters was posted by thedailybeast today
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ng-voters-still-considering-donald-trump.html
Raising the quality of our discourse:
That is not in the normal realm. That’s in the Goebbels realm. It’s a 2016 American equivalent of “the Czechs are the aggressors in the Sudetenland.”

So think ahead to a Trump presidency. He’s capable of saying something similar about anyone who crosses him—a liberal judge, a by-the-book bureaucrat, a left-wing academic, whatever. And then suppose one of his followers actually takes him up on it. Imagine explaining to your kids why the president of the United States incited a murder. And then imagine your kids asking if you voted for him, and you explaining that well, before the election, you just didn’t see much difference between the two.

There’s a world of difference. One candidate is flawed. Even deeply flawed, if you prefer. The other is psychotic.
What if the President, hypothetically of course since this would never happen in the real world, murders an American and his son, without trial, and blames the child for "not having better parents" while stating that this authority and power to murder without trial doesn't apply to just Americans on foreign soil but to Americans on American soil. Also, that he keeps a kill list decision matrix. Proudly.

And at the same time his Director of National Intelligence lied under oath to Congress, committing a crime, admitted he did, and was never fired and instead defended by the President. Something that Roger Clemens, a baseball player testifying about baseball, was indicted over.

Imagine the horrible world where someone would have to explain that. It'd be a dark world too.

Without Thor.

NYT gave their raw polling data to 4 different firms. All 4 arrived at different results:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...he-polling-world-rarely-talks-about.html?_r=0

gAUtJcH.png

This continues to be awesome.

Teggy

Any followup on that phone banking issue? I looked up the threads this morning and they seem to have been archived on 4chan. Reddit thread is still up.

That "do you believe the current candidate is better than the last one" question in that poll bothers me a bit, because it doesn't really mean much.

I love Hillary, but I'm not going to try and pretend she's a better candidate than Obama. But I'd not go so far as to say Hillary is a weak candidate, just that Obama knocks it out of the park.

I say she and her campaign had strategies that had flaws, but she - herself is a pretty strong candidate. Her campaign's dismissal of scandals and her low key strategy during a month had some negative impacts.

studyguy

When your vote is simultaneously for and against the candidate you actually voted for. In fact, a vote for Trump is actually worth 2 for Clinton in most states and 1 of Stein is in actuality 3 for Trump, but only in Wyoming during an overcast day, otherwise it's not counted at all.

So the Paul Combetta reddit saga has gone full circle.

The House is requesting an interview with Combetta by Friday at noon or they issue a subpoena.

https://science.house.gov/sites/republicans.science.house.gov/files/documents/9-19-16%20CLT%20to%20Ken%20Eichner%20-%20PRN%20TI%20letter.pdf

lmao

Conveniently ignoring, of course, that the replies on the reddit thread said what he wanted to do was impossible, and with no actual evidence he did anything at all

Iolo

NYT gave their raw polling data to 4 different firms. All 4 arrived at different results:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...he-polling-world-rarely-talks-about.html?_r=0

The Upshot continues to shame 538, who just seem to be doing a bunch of podcasts about tipping point states and 80s theme songs. 538's model is fine, but their output has been lackluster.

wait, is she taking the day off?

She is using a lot of time this week to do debate prep. The concept of which is lost on Trump, who succeeds at everything without trying.

While she is set to make a quick trip to Florida on Wednesday, after dipping into Pennsylvania on Monday, Clinton will devote the lion's share of her time huddling with her debate team, gaming out how she will confront Trump next Monday night at Hofstra University.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

gAUtJcH.png

This is actually a pretty good article; I wish it had gone more in depth though. There's some really fascinating stuff about how people derive LV filters and the problem with e.g. self-reporting.

There's a lot of room to talk about the UK election 2015, which really damaged a lot of conventional LV models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom