• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's probably gonna lose in 2020. I can feel it in mah bones. :-(

I hope not but yeah... She would lose now but luckily her opponent has the personality and charm of a piece of used toilet paper.

I think this position is mostly bedwetting or whatever term is now being used here.

A. She's got 4 years of things to accomplish that we can't be sure of
B. Where will the economey be in 4 years
C. What makes you think somone less insane than trump will make it through the republican primary

Makai

Someone on Planet Money this week made a good point: we seem to have this hard-on for these manufacturing jobs that are never coming back because of nostalgia. He then went on to point out that the reality is that we are a service-based economy now and how come no one is clamoring to make these jobs better like we did for these old manufacturing jobs instead of constantly complaining about phantom manufacturing jobs.
Who even wants a manufacturing job? Sounds so distopian - hidden away in a factory doing a repetitive task. There's at least a menial amount of creativity afforded to service-sector workers.

NeoXChaos

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 11m11 minutes ago
5. In the Senate race, Odesky poll has Strickland up just 40%-34%. That's lousy. Sherrod Brown won county by 32.5 pts in 2012

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 14m14 minutes ago
4. A 27-point lead in Lucas County with a bunch of undecideds is pretty good for Clinton, I'd say.

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 15m15 minutes ago
3. This poll has Clinton leading in Lucas 50%-23%, or 27 points. 6% Johnson, 1% Stein, high undecideds 21%

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 17m17 minutes ago
2. For context, Obama won Lucas County (Toledo) by 32 points, 65-33 in 2012

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 17m17 minutes ago
1. Just got a poll of Lucas County, Ohio (Toledo), conducted by Stan Odesky and Associates

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think this position is mostly bedwetting or whatever term is now being used here.

A. She's got 4 years of things to accomplish that we can't be sure of
B. Where will the economey be in 4 years
C. What makes you think somone less insane than trump will make it through the republican primary

Yeah, the Republican Primary in 2020 is the biggest "Who the fuck knows" of politics right now, lol.

I don't get the microphone story, we all heard him fine on TV
Hillary can shift focus back to the debate if he brings up mic issues saying "see? I told u guys I was having mic issues!!". All she has to do is say "Trump said he had mic issues at the debate. Yet we heard him loud and clear when he said he pays zero taxes, refuses to back down from birther issue,etc"

Debirudog

I guess the mike having problems could accentuate the fact he was sniffing loudly but he has no real good excuse that his performance was a big fat mess.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hillary's strategy seems clear now-agitate Trump just enough to keep him spewing nonsense and attacking things that aren't Hillary. Talk about your plans with the remainder of your time.

Today, in FL:

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

It's good assuming some of the IND and Aleppo votes come to her in the end. It's a solid baseline.
Lucas is one of the areas I would think she'd be running significantly behind Obama's 2012 numbers, especially if the blue collar shtick Trump is trying out is actually working. I think the Aleppo people will come home or just not vote. Again, exit polls with pre-election polling etc, but that makes me feel pretty good.

If she can do marginally better than Obama in the suburbs in Cincy, Cleveland and Columbus, we'll be okay.

Teggy

Elizabeth Warren ‏@elizabethforma 11m11 minutes ago
Is this what keeps you up at night, @realDonaldTrump? Thinking of new & interesting ways to call women fat or ugly or sluts?
705 retweets 1,262 likes

More bait

SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND THINK ABOUT THIS.

Think about Alicia Machado right now, think about her. Think about the person. Think about the shame she endured at the hands of Trump. Think about the awful, degrading attacks he made to her face, behind her back, on camera, in print and years after the fact. Think about him parading her around and forcing her to exercise in public. Think about what that must've done to her life, her soul.

Now think about how this circles around. Waiting for 20-25 years, to strike at the heart of the beast with probably one of hundreds of people he's abused over the years. THINK ABOUT THAT.

I don't know how she feels now, and I don't know how she felt then. I can tell you how it feels to see a victim raise up and strike back at her abuser. It's not a good feeling, but it is a righteous one. Think about how it must feel to his other victims, to all other victims out there right now watching this rich, white, elderly, obese disgusting pervert of a 'man' be brought down so low by someone he discarded so long ago. Think about that.

May that fucker burn in hell.

The more I think about it the more I realise it may be one of the most astute political moves in recent history. It worked on three fronts:

1. As you say, it gives massive catharsis to not only Machado but to anyone who's been belittled by Trump or a Trump-like figure over the course of their life. Which, unfortunately, is a vast swath of the populace.

2. It focuses the narrative about Trump down to a single figure. Yes, its easy (and incredibly accurate) to call him a racist, misogynistic xenophobe but showing that in practice, in a case study of sorts, helps humanise the issue and make it real.

You also have to assume the Clinton campaign took note of what happened with Khan post DNC. Trump and his team know how to respond to allegations of fraud and corruption and dodgy dealings - point the finger right back at the Clinton Foundation or shout EMAILS loudly. But when it's a single figure, like Khan and Machado, they totally lose it and desperately try to dig up something to discredit the figure, like (unsurprisingly) accusing Khan of having terrorist ties or Machado having a sex tape. But they forget that in politics that stuff only works with other politicians. Trying to discredit normal people just makes you look ten times worse.

3. It massively threw Trump off balance. Because it was equal parts a big deal and something that had been mostly forgotten about he had no clue how to deal with it. As much as he was unprepared for the debate generally, this was something he was doubly unprepared for, and so he's basically doubled down in an attempt to act like everything's totally fine. Which it isn't.

The whole thing is just a work of beauty.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Yeah, the Republican Primary in 2020 is the biggest "Who the fuck knows" of politics right now, lol.

I guess a big influence on that will be how much Trump loses by. If he loses narrowly, he will be a thorn in the flesh of the GOP until he dies - he'll carry his base with him and will be the kingmaker in the primaries. If he loses very badly, he'll either grump off into the sunset or be pushed out by the rest of the party.

Or he'll be in jail.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
More bait

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

So, basically the entirety of the rest of the campaign is going to be Dems baiting a dumb guy into getting angry and saying dumb things.

This is probably the most solid strategy. He'll probably call Elizabeth Warren an Ugly Redskin and then double down on building the wall 30 days before the election at this point.

Pretty much, low skill labor/production line style jobs are vanishing. High skill machinist's, CNC workers, etc are still in demand though, and are going to be even more in demand as there is a void of workers with these skills once the baby boomer generation retires.

Although some factory jobs HAVE started to come back as rising incomes in places like china and cheap energy here has started to shift the balance of cost

This is the thing. We badly need welders and machinists where I live, and I have students come through my classes every quarter who know this and are in school to pursue these stable, high-paying careers. I'd love a higher ed bill that focuses on two- and four-year degrees at public tech and community colleges. We can get people back to work in jobs like this.

Combine that with an infrastructure bill, and we can really attack unemployment efficiently in the Rust Belt (and in other places, of course). It's worthwhile spending.

I guess a big influence on that will be how much Trump loses by. If he loses narrowly, he will be a thorn in the flesh of the GOP until he dies - he'll carry his base with him and will be the kingmaker in the primaries. If he loses very badly, he'll either grump off into the sunset or be pushed out by the rest of the party.

Or he'll be in jail.

The establishment wanted to moderate some after Romney lost and this is what we got. Right wing radio and media outlets control the messaging and the freedom caucus still exists to threaten their seats if they move left. It's really quite the pickle. I have no idea how they get out of it. This base isn't going to become less racist and more welcoming of minorities in 4 years

Iolo

Can we get a dotted line comparison to 2012?

I don't have the data for that, except I saw the other day the dem line is currently about half of what it was 2012 --- ostensibly due to a "change" in Dem strategy in pursuing absentee voters this year, where the ballots are being sent and received later.

If someone found the data I could put it in, at least weekly.

The establishment wanted to moderate some after Romney lost and this is what we got. Right wing radio and media outlets control the messaging and the freedom caucus still exists to threaten their seats if they move left. It's really quite the pickle. I have no idea how they get out of it. This base isn't going to become less racist and more welcoming of minorities in 4 years

That's what I've been saying. The only way they keep a white nationalist from getting the nomination in 2020 is if they change the rules. Superdelegates, fitness tests, and so on. Some non-democratic method of disqualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom