• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

Anyone notice how Rudy does the crazy eyes all the time now?

Normal:

k6iHor.png

Crazy:

X3UQLh.png

WYIZei.png

Kusagari

She's one of the worst, most ineffective people in Washington and apparently even worse in Florida. Murphy isn't her fault but if anyone is emblematic of the republican-lite empty suit culture that Murphy comes from it's her. It's 2016, that empty suit shit doesn't work as well for white guys anymore.

The problem is Murphy was legitimately the best Democrat in the state to run for a statewide office like governor/senator.

Which says nothing about Murphy's qualities and more of how absolutely terrible everyone else in the state is.

Teggy

It looks like he stepped on his glasses and never got them fixed. Look at the arms. Also the shape of the frames around the lenses (actually that part is shadow).

Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg plans to retire “when it’s time,” the 83-year-old told NPR in an interview published Monday morning, leaving open the question of when exactly she might decide to leave the bench.

"And, when is it time? When I can't do the job full-steam,” she said.

Take the hint.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Had no idea Chertoff backed Hillary.

mo60

CNN has a new countdown on the screen

4,338 hours, 19 minutes, 08 seconds to coverage of the Wisconsin Primary

Awww, it just went away
Probably a glitch unless they are starting to count down for something that is happening in early january that is not a primary.

Emarv

How long can the media keep saying "This is a CHANGE election" before it makes no sense? Castigate Clinton as establishment and Obama's 3rd term, but then she's leading nationally by 5 points.

Sure, Bernie and Trump were popular, but Clinton has essentially been dominant all year. I just don't get how those two concepts make sense together and why we keep pushing this "Change" narrative?

There are a lot of conservative Dubya-era types backing Clinton. Not surprisingly the campaign doesn't put a lot of emphasis to their endorsements.

It is notable that both HW and Dubya's foreign policy apparatus are more or less all behind Clinton. Some of them might have big ideological bents but they all operated in the real world and know the kind of strong, nearly-unilateral power that the modern Presidency has on foreign affairs.

How long can the media keep saying "This is a CHANGE election" before it makes no sense? Castigate Clinton as establishment and Obama's 3rd term, but then she's leading nationally by 5 points.

Sure, Bernie and Trump were popular, but Clinton has essentially been dominant all year. I just don't get how those two concepts make sense together and why we keep pushing this "Change" narrative?

$$$$$
Who's going to challenge them?

Don't see where this is a change election. No downballot earthquakes.

Kander winning Missouri would be about the only thing that suggests a genuine change election to me, and that has more to do with Blunt being a lazy fuck than anything else.

Emarv

$$$$$
Who's going to challenge them?

Don't see where this is a change election. No downballot earthquakes.

Exactly. No major downballot shakeups. No major governor shakeups i can think of off the top of my head. Neither Hillary or Trump is pushing a wave a new candidates to the top.

I honestly just wonder if the press can't handle such a boring election outside of Trump's antics.

There are a lot of conservative Dubya-era types backing Clinton. Not surprisingly the campaign doesn't put a lot of emphasis to their endorsements.

It is notable that both HW and Dubya's foreign policy apparatus are more or less all behind Clinton. Some of them might have big ideological bents but they all operated in the real world and know the kind of strong, nearly-unilateral power that the modern Presidency has on foreign affairs.

The context of this endorsement is crazy, though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...rmer-prosecutor-michael-chertoff-endorses-her

Twenty years ago Michael Chertoff was near the top of the Clintons' enemy list. He was the lead Republican counsel on the Senate Whitewater Committee, one of the first of many Congressional investigations into Hillary Clinton.

Clinton later cast the only vote in the Senate against him when he was nominated in 2001 to head the Justice Department's criminal division. She was also the lone no vote against Chertoff in 2003 when he was nominated to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the third circuit.

All of this though was before the Republican Party nominated Donald Trump as its presidential candidate. This has shaken the party of Reagan. Chertoff, a life long Republican, will now be voting for the Democrat in November.

Over the weekend, Chertoff -- the former secretary of Homeland Security -- told me his decision came down to national security. "I realized we spent a huge amount of time in the '90s on issues that were much less important than what was brewing in terms of terrorism," he said. For Chertoff, Clinton "has good judgment and a strategic vision how to deal with the threats that face us."

This, it's clear in both races that the incumbents thought they were safe and have been getting completely out-hustled by scrappy challengers.
In fairness, Blunt seems to be trying harder than Burr to blunt Kander's rise, his (albeit piss-poor) response ad to Kander's gun ad being an example.

But like, you get elected to the Senate in a GOP wave year and spend the next six years sitting on your ass and not doing anything, don't expect the electorate to feel obligated to come to your rescue. I detest guys like McConnell and Grassley but they at least know how to work their constituents.

I get the feeling a good half of incumbents hate fundraising so much that they would rather risk losing their seat than doing the fundraising song and dance.

Also convinced that a large part of gerrymandering isn't just to entrench political power, but also to put long-time members of the state party in power in a position where they don't have to lift a finger (and hence not have to fundraise/campaign) to get re-elected.

This, it's clear in both races that the incumbents thought they were safe and have been getting completely out-hustled by scrappy challengers.

Yeah, if they lose (and I expect at least one of them will) it won't be because it's a change election, but instead that they ran shitty, lazy campaigns against surprising opponents.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's so exciting seeing the ususual suspects get excited for the end of the Clinton campaign on Wednesday!

NeoXChaos

October 4th, 2016
Vice Presidential Debate-pigeon
October 9th, 2016
2nd Presidential Debate-Paskil

Pigeon can post his tonight if he wants or in the morning. Paskill you can post yours Saturday night if you like.

October 19th, 2016
3rd Presidential Debate-Holmes
November 8th, 2016
United States General Election-Aaron Strife

Paskil

October 4th, 2016
October 9th, 2016

Pigeon can post his tonight if he wants or in the morning. Paskill you can post yours Saturday night if you like.

October 19th, 2016
November 8th, 2016

Righto. Hold on to your asses, folks.

I get the feeling a good half of incumbents hate fundraising so much that they would rather risk losing their seat than doing the fundraising song and dance.

Also convinced that a large part of gerrymandering isn't just to entrench political power, but also to put long-time members of the state party in power in a position where they don't have to lift a finger (and hence not have to fundraise/campaign) to get re-elected.
Of course. This works both ways. Look at Corinne Brown and how hard she fought to keep the Florida Republican gerrymander. It gave her a much safer seat even though it was crippling the party as a whole.

And when they remapped the state she got her ass served to her in the primary because she was a terrible congresswoman who spent her entire career coasting. Good riddance too.

Cyanity

Banned
October 4th, 2016
October 9th, 2016

October 19th, 2016
November 8th, 2016

My anus is ready.

Wait, wait, wait, there's a "Vice" President? Like, a bad version of the president? When does this shadow candidate appear?? If the candidate faces their shadow self with imperfect courage, will it take their place?

Geg

I honestly didn't realize pigeon had been unbanned, I was looking for the Cruz avatar but it makes sense that he doesn't have it anymore

Emarv

I'm glad CNN gave John King an hour again. It's been pretty solid so far. Fun to see people like Glenn Thrush and Jonathan Martin on a panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom