• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
MhA7F7m.png

I'm seeing nonstop Kander and Blunt ads in Kansas City (usually one immediately after the other). Kander's ad is really well done. His is a longshot but I'm still rooting for and donating to him. I think Koster has it in the bag as Governor though, all my relatives that get those insane letters from the NRA are instructing them to vote for him.
Kander struck down the medical marijuana proposal here and will not have my vote.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no expectation that the map will look terribly different than Obama's 2012 map.

Trump's ability to gain supporters at this point requires him to start saying smart things.

I wonder if my mom will replace the family photo of the Obamas she has on the wall with the Clintons, or if she'll just leave her shrine to the Obamas up for all time because nothing will ever come close to them.

Yes, my mom has a family photo of the Obamas framed on her wall. Next to the family photos of her actual family

I love Clinton but Biden would have no problem kicking the shit out of Trump.

This is kind of my pet peeve. Yes, if Biden hot-tagged in to this exact race right now, unsullied by a primary or general election campaign and with none of Clinton's specific issues, he'd probably win going away.

Otherwise he's a two-time primary loser to the right of Clinton, polled at like 10% this year as a ghost primary candidate, has plagiarism charges in his past and is known for putting his foot in his mouth. Does two terms as VP change his story? Almost certainly! But who knows and by how much? Exactly how high do you think Obamas approval would be right now if the GOP had been gunning for his VP all year?

Unless Clinton loses by 10 points there's no saying who would have clearly done better.

kingkitty

I guess i don't get the "bedwetter" term usage here. It originally came from people freaking out/being scared about polls, but do people who are scared wet the bed? It just doesn't make much sense.

if I woke up and saw a naked, coke-fueled Trump stomping around my bedroom with a chainsaw, I'd probably pee the bed in fear.

16 would be far too young. My brother is 17, and his friends are all dorks who are laughing about voting for Trump because it's funny and they don't really care to look into anything other than "lol Trump"

But on the other hand, there are kids who are 16 who have kids and real jobs and lives, and they could probably vote just fine

But there's no way to tell the difference, and there are more dumb high school dorks than teen moms.

Holmes

Thinking that Nevada and Iowa also don't go blue.

Also saw Georgia, no chance in hell Hillary wins Georgia.
Dunno about Iowa, but I'm almost 100% certain Nevada will go Democratic. Unless 100% of whites vote for Trump, there's no way Trump can get over the large amount of Hispanic, African-American and Asian voters in the state.

HylianTom

Banned
Dunno about Iowa, but I'm almost 100% certain Nevada will go Democratic. Unless 100% of whites vote for Trump, there's no way Trump can get over the large amount of Hispanic, African-American and Asian voters in the state.
I tend to operate under the assumption that polling in Nevada remains riddled with issues (language barriers, an electorate that's more nocturnal than most other places, etc) and that it could still be understating Democratic support. If polling remains close, I think Hillary wins it and we keep the Senate seat.

It's honestly impressive how much Rand Paul has debased himself over the last 12-18 months:

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presi...-hillary-clinton-significant-health-problems/

This guy has no chance of being more of a loser than his father, but he's making an effort.

I always love the way these start out, "yeah, it's pretty much a waste of time for me to speculate from a distance without the actual patient work-up in front of me... but what the hell why not"

Meowster

Kander struck down the medical marijuana proposal here and will not have my vote.
Sorry to hear that. I hope someday you might be able to change your mind. A few years with a Dem majority might be able to help out a lot of people. I wasn't happy when Koster was publicly endorsed by the NRA when gun control is so important to me but I'll still be voting for him and pretty happily in comparison to the other guy.

I think Ohio is going to be handily won by Trump this time around.
I very much doubt. Economy is great, Governor hates Trump and there's burgeoning immigration in many parts of Columbus and Cleveland which is changing demographics. This doldrum is simply Hillary supporters lacking enthusiasm and nothing more.

Armaros

I very much doubt. Economy is great, Governor hates Trump and there's burgeoning immigration in many parts of Columbus and Cleveland which is changing demographics. This doldrum is simply Hillary supporters lacking enthusiasm and nothing more.

The title change is extremely on point for the last couple weeks.

So I was looking at Bernie's "Our Revolution" website to see who they had endorsed, since they just endorsed a bunch of candidates. First: This website is terrible! They list the endorsed candidates alphabetically by state (?) and not by position they're running for. Or at least, there's no searchable option. So here's what we have:

https://ourrevolution.com/candidates

Senate:

Deborah Ross (NC)
Russ Feingold (WI)
Misty Snow (UT)

House:

Raul Grijalva (AZ-03)
Morgan Carroll (CO-06)
Progressive Surfing Icon Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02)
Jamie Raskin (MD-08)
Paul Clements (MI-06)
Keith Ellison (MN-05)
Rick Nolan (MN-08)
Peter Jacob (NJ-07)
Zephyr Teachout (NY-19)
Chase Iron Eyes (ND-AL)
Marcy Kaptur (OH-09)
Pramila Jayapal (WA-07)
Sarah Lloyd (WI-06)
Thomas Nelson (WI-08)

First, this is admirable.

What struck me second is there is a decent amount of people who endorsed Bernie in the primary who I wouldn't count as "progressives" (see: Islamaphobe Tulsi Gabbard, Pro-Life Advocate Marcy Kaptur), but these people endorsed Bernie in the primary. Not too thrilled about that. A lot of this seems to be, you endorsed me, so I'll endorse you. Which is fine, I guess, but I didn't think this was the point of the organization!

Third, of the 85 candidates they endorsed, 35 are people of color. That's a good start, and definitely more reflective of the Democratic constituency.

Have fun with Roy Blunt because you couldn't get a blunt.

While I understand red state Democrat frustration with some of our democratic choices we have to realize super liberals are not going to win. Think of all the good that could be done like Medicaid expansion.

johnsmith

remember me
I guess i don't get the "bedwetter" term usage here. It originally came from people freaking out/being scared about polls, but do people who are scared wet the bed? It just doesn't make much sense.

Yes, when people get scared they piss their pants. It's a common trope.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BringMyBrownPants

And it's common for it to be used in reference for liberals
https://newrepublic.com/article/117257/bed-wetting-liberals-democrats-freak-over-setbacks-gop-doesnt

So I was looking at Bernie's "Our Revolution" website to see who they had endorsed, since they just endorsed a bunch of candidates. First: This website is terrible! They list the endorsed candidates alphabetically by state (?) and not by position they're running for. Or at least, there's no searchable option. So here's what we have:

https://ourrevolution.com/candidates

Senate:

Deborah Ross (NC)
Russ Feingold (WI)
Misty Snow (UT)

House:

Raul Grijalva (AZ-03)
Morgan Carroll (CO-06)
Progressive Surfing Icon Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02)
Jamie Raskin (MD-08)
Paul Clements (MI-06)
Keith Ellison (MN-05)
Rick Nolan (MN-08)
Peter Jacob (NJ-07)
Zephyr Teachout (NY-19)
Chase Iron Eyes (ND-AL)
Marcy Kaptur (OH-09)
Pramila Jayapal (WA-07)
Sarah Lloyd (WI-06)
Thomas Nelson (WI-08)

First, this is admirable.

What struck me second is there is a decent amount of people who endorsed Bernie in the primary who I wouldn't count as "progressives" (see: Islamaphobe Tulsi Gabbard, Pro-Life Advocate Marcy Kaptur), but these people endorsed Bernie in the primary. Not too thrilled about that. A lot of this seems to be, you endorsed me, so I'll endorse you. Which is fine, I guess, but I didn't think this was the point of the organization!

Third, of the 85 candidates they endorsed, 35 are people of color. That's a good start, and definitely more reflective of the Democratic constituency.

Have fun with Roy Blunt because you couldn't get a blunt.
Bernie would never engage in the quid quo pro politics that define the establishment. Come now. That's just silly.

Obviously anyone who saw through the Clinton snake is a true believer.

While I understand red state Democrat frustration with some of our democratic choices we have to realize super liberals are not going to win. Think of all the good that could be done like Medicaid expansion.

I hear a lot from red state Dems that if they just nominated a Real Liberal, then these missing Dem voters would come flocking back to elect them. That's as silly as Ted Cruz thinking there are these secret conservatives that just aren't voting for a moderate GOPer that will come flocking back when the party nominates a Real Conservative.

HylianTom

Banned
Florida TV stats..

@ryanstruyk
Scheduled television ads between now and Election Day in Florida:

Team Clinton: $36.6 million
Team Trump: $0.7 million

She's continuing the carpet bombing. I really want to know where all of that money he's raised is going.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Florida TV stats..

@ryanstruyk

She's continuing the carpet bombing. I really want to know where all of that money he's raised is going.

Judging by the article today, perhaps it is being used for legal settlements.

Grief.exe

There were some rumblings last month that Trump never actually forgave the campaign debts when he said he did, so much of that money is flowing directly into his pockets.

I never followed up on that however.

Florida TV stats..

@ryanstruyk

Check the SEC reports. He's blatantly using campaign money to purchase his own products, host his staff in Trump hotels, etc. He's also paying large amounts of money to consultants who don't exist - either family or business associates with no consulting history.

NeoXChaos

I hear a lot from red state Dems that if they just nominated a Real Liberal, then these missing Dem voters would come flocking back to elect them. That's as silly as Ted Cruz thinking there are these secret conservatives that just aren't voting for a moderate GOPer that will come flocking back when the party nominates a Real Conservative.

In a lot of these red states, the numbers are just not there. Republican outnumbers Democrats in most of them and the remaining liberals are few.

Oh no Richard Burr is stupid.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/richard-burr-carolina-senate-228297

Republicans are privately fretting that the laid-back Burr isn’t campaigning aggressively enough for his third Senate term and potentially risking a GOP seat that the party should otherwise have in the bag. But — in his usual easygoing form — Burr brushed off any concerns about national Democrats spending at least $6.7 million to unseat him — a forceful play to make a red-leaning state competitive less than two months before the election.

“It’s great. I think anytime they waste money it saves my colleagues from having it go after them,” Burr smirked when asked of Democrats’ money blitz. “Am I complaining that the last [Quinnipiac] poll had me up 6? No! I’m probably in better shape than we dreamed.”

The Senate Intelligence chairman risks getting caught flat-footed against a relatively unknown opponent in North Carolina, which has become a major target for Democrats eyeing the White House, Senate and the governor’s mansion in Raleigh.

The race is viewed as an essential piece of either party’s majority: if Democrats can’t take advantage of Burr’s vulnerability, party honchos will kick themselves for leaving a winnable seat on the table. And if Republicans were to lose in North Carolina, it would presage a bad night for them on Nov. 8.

Plus, the state’s environment is rapidly deteriorating around Burr. GOP Gov. Pat McCrory appears the most vulnerable incumbent governor, Donald Trump is being badly outspent by Hillary Clinton and the GOP’s so-called bathroom law is now denying the state prized NCAA tournament events. Burr again declined to take a position on the controversial law, known as HB2, last week.

“The state is on fire,” Ross said in a telephone interview. “North Carolina has the most statewide races that are the closest in the entire country right now.”

The political landscape is threatening enough, but GOP insiders say Burr has exacerbated the problem by never deviating from his lax demeanor. Burr says this is his last political campaign ever -- but Republicans privately say it’s hard to tell how much he cares about the outcome.

Burr is boosted by the fact that he’s well-respected by Democrats — the biggest diss that Democratic senators can come up with is that he’s not well-known in the state. In a September Suffolk poll, Burr was unknown by 13 percent of respondents, but Ross was worse off with 45 percent of them saying they’d never heard of her. Still, he led by 3 points in that survey, and Ross has more room to grow her support.

“The more they see of her, the more they’re going to like her,” said one Democratic senator. “I don’t know the state of his campaign, I just know there’s a lot of persuadables in North Carolina.”

But Burr has been hampered by another troubling statistic: Ross outraised him the past two quarters, a major accomplishment for a candidate in a first-time race and a troubling one for a longtime politician. Democrats say they have benefited from Ross’ obscurity; had former Sen. Kay Hagan (D-N.C.) or former Rep. Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) got in the race, Burr may have been startled into an overwhelming show of force early on.

But now in the midst of the sprint to November, Ross is in serious contention.

“She’s very good. She’s very sharp,” said Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairman Jon Tester of Montana. “The next seven weeks are critical, but she’s a great candidate and she’s absolutely in the mix. Seven weeks is a long time, but I think that long time helps her a lot.”

This year, though, is different. The DSCC’s commitment is a major development in the race; Burr faced essentially no attacks from outside groups in 2010. And the presidential tossup in combination with Burr’s under-the-radar stature means he’s likely to lose his seat if Clinton bests Trump.

Yet Burr is as carefree as ever, moseying through the Capitol halls alone, without aides or talking points to dispense. And since he’s not listening to campaign officials, Republicans have no other solution other than to trust that he knows what he’s doing.

“That sometimes makes the experts uneasy,” said Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.).

ALSO, THIS IS WEIRD:

But Burr comes by his laid-back attitude honestly — quirks and all. He doesn’t wear socks, except on certain Thursdays. He’ll bring his own lunch to caucus meetings to save a few bucks on the catered food and sometimes walks around the Capitol chowing on grits.

WHY ONLY CERTAIN THURSDAYS

Check the SEC reports. He's blatantly using campaign money to purchase his own products, host his staff in Trump hotels, etc. He's also paying large amounts of money to consultants who don't exist - either family or business associates with no consulting history.
This is like peanuts compared to some of his other practices, which literally bankrupted people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom