• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand Kaine's strategy. It is obvious that Pence didn't take the bait. Him not defending orange turd is a positive for him, not a negative. Not to mention that interruptions actually lead to immediate negative perception.

Because of Kaine's strategy most of the debate was about Trump and Trump's record. That was the point. His job wasn't to beat the man across from him, it was to help Clinton and hurt Trump.

Boke1879

I still don't understand Kaine's strategy. It is obvious that Pence didn't take the bait. Him not defending orange turd is a positive for him, not a negative. Not to mention that interruptions actually lead to immediate negative perception.

Pence isn't running for President, and if he can't defend his own running mate what does that say?

The abortion exchange and him not defending his running mate can net you an ad or two.

Crocodile

I think Pence was better behaved and disciplined but the take away will be the inability of Pence to defend Trump at all or him denying things that Trump clearly said. It was clear Kaine cared more about attack Trump than Pence and Pence seemed to care more about selling himself.

This won't move votes in any direction I feel though.

Between Trump and Pence this week...I think we can safely say that minorities and allies of minorities have been permanently turned off from the Republican party. Th most blatantly anti-black/brown/women ticket in my lifetime.

They won't live this down. This will linger.

Seriously. Fuck the modern Republican Party

MSNBC already focusing on Pence's failing to defend Trump.

Anyway, I knew Pence would do better, but always felt this debate would be inconsequential and "meh".

Tarydax

Banned
I'm really disappointed that Kaine didn't bring up the innocent man Pence refused to pardon, and he missed the opportunity to bring up how Pence cost his state tons of money in his crusade against the LGBTQ community or Pence's stance on conversion therapy. Kaine's constant attacks and interruptions allowed Pence to change the subject and to deflect. Beyond that, Kaine rarely went after Pence's record. I think forcing Pence to defend both his and Trump's records would have been a good strategy. I can see why he didn't do it, though. Trump's such a big target it was impossible for Kaine to miss, plus he got a ton of great ad material out of Pence's 90 minutes of lies.

Pence won on style because he was such a smooth bullshitter and he didn't interrupt nearly as much as Kaine, but Kaine kicked his ass on facts. He also did a great job of defending Hillary and the Clinton Foundation, and his answers about his faith were fantastic. Kaine was actually able to defend his running mate, which Pence barely did (if at all).

I can't wait to see Pence's pants of fire rating skyrocket.

Dierce

Because of Kaine's strategy most of the debate was about Trump and Trump's record. That was the point. His job wasn't to beat the man across from him, it was to help Clinton and hurt Trump.
But the debate is about speaking to undecided voters. This is all about demeanor, not about facts.

Pence created a version of orange turd that appeared like a generic republican, which he isn't, and he sold it to millions of people simply because Kaine was too aggressive and therefore the liar.

This was fucking terrible for us. Now the media will go back to the horserace narrative and who knows what will happen on Sunday. Clinton might come out too overconfident and everything just goes down the drain.

Hazmat

Pence probably won by a little because Kaine had such a rough start. I don't think either candidate did well or poorly enough to affect anything.

I would have liked to see Kaine have fewer talking points that he returned to. I think the strategy was to give as much possible screen time to Trump's taxes, but it didn't do much for me.

Hopfrog

But the debate is about speaking to undecided voters. This is all about demeanor, not about facts.

Pence created a version of orange turd that appeared like a generic republican, which he isn't, and he sold it to millions of people simply because Kaine was too aggressive and therefore the liar.

This was fucking terrible for us. Now the media will go back to the horserace narrative and who knows what will happen on Sunday. Clinton might come out too overconfident and everything just goes down the drain.

Christ this is an overly pessimistic take.

Cyanity

Banned
Kaine's job was to get Pence to contradict Trump as much as possible, and he succeeded.

I'll take a second order of bedwetting please

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OK QUEEN AND DAD

I'm going to give you advice and you better listen

MOOK I know you are reading too

STOP USING CANNED JOKES / ZINGERS

THEY ARE NOT GOOD

JUST GO WITH ONE ORGANICALLY

Debirudog

Uh, no? Pence didn't bother defending Trump. He essentially knows Orange Turd is a goner so he's saving his own skin.

Iolo

do we need to coin a new verb

OK QUEEN AND DAD

I'm going to give you advice and you better listen

MOOK I know you are reading too

STOP USING CANNED JOKES / ZINGERS

THEY ARE NOT GOOD

JUST GO WITH ONE ORGANICALLY

Agreed that you're fired president came across as lame when we've heard it 100 times

Tamanon

Banned

I fail to see how demeanor is that much more important for the Vice President, than it is for the President.

HylianTom

Banned
This will be a great test..

Pence seems to have a lean on the win verdict. But Twitter is roasting him right now.

We might get to see what kind of effect "post-processing" the message has.

Other news: There's a hurricane warning out for Miami. Not that that's any less depressing to think about. Edit: Sorry, it's just north of Miami, to be fussy.

Serious talk, the campaigns need to kill their schedules the rest of the week with a major natural disaster in motion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

OK first calm down

Second are you Mika

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
You can say Pence won because of his demeanor (which is the shallowest of metrics), but I'd be shocked if he actually convinced anybody new to vote for Trump.

Cyanity

Banned
Trump's gonna be busy forging Trump Foundation audit records for the rest of this week, so we're probably not even going to see him much

lyrick

I fail to see how demeanor is that much more important for the Vice President, than it is for the President.
We may as well start pretending we're body language experts and suffer through the debate again on mute to see who the winner was.

If the media and the GOP spends the next cycle hammering home the point that being aggressive and interrupting your opponent means that you are a loser, well that's going to hurt Trump massively for the next debate. I would welcome that.

Deep breaths friend. VP debates aren't really about undecideds. Most people who tune in are already part of each parties base and both bases found enough to feel good about tonight. The real show is on Sunday and Kaine did nothing to hurt Clinton's chances there.

Dierce

I agree, it isn't important to us but do you think undecidededs really care about facts? Why the hell are they undecided in the first place when the choice is Clinton and mother fucking conman trump.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Overall analysis is right.

If graded in a vacuum, Pence won this. Most of PoliGAF ignored the fact that Pence had a radio show and is a competent politician when you were writing him off earlier today.

Outside of tonight, though, Hillary's campaign has like 7 new, effective ads from this debate alone. Pence highlighted how bad of a candidate Trump really is.

Tamanon

Banned
Framing abortion as a matter of trust was pretty masterful, and I don't think I've really heard it phrased in that way on the public stage like that. I think it really made an almost impossible argument to win from the anti-abortion side.

I agree, it isn't important to us but do you think undecidededs really care about facts? Why the hell are they undecided in the first place when the choice is Clinton and mother fucking conman trump.
Undecideds don't care about the VP debate

This was Kaine fishing for sound bites and Pence being all too happy to take the bait. That is the only result of this debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom