• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyroLen

Neo Member
By the way. I haven't watched any news today but has the most recent cop killing gotten and play? That's what's been frustrating me the most tbh.

Also Clinton will be giving a speech today about increasing opportunities for disabled Americans

On CNN this morning they had the victims father, mother, sister and two lawyers on to discuss the incident, and spent a good 20 minutes or so discussing it.

Boke1879

On one hand, that definitely looked bad.

But....why the hell were they asking Robby Mook about Obama's foreign policy decisions? Hillary only had a hand in making those decisions, she didn't make them herself. Questions about the red line? Why the fuck would he have known any of that in the detail they were expecting? He's her campaign manager, not one of her foreign policy advisers from her years as SoS.

That was a hit. But Robby needs to learn how to not even try to answer a question he doesn't know the answer to.

Shit didn't they go meet with Trump at his hotel to build relations back up?

Teggy

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
The situations in Tulsa and Charlotte are tragic. We must come together to make America safe again.

Safe from cops? What is he saying here?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Safe from cops? What is he saying here?

That is an idiotic but well-designed tweet.

His racist supporters will hear exactly what they want to hear.

PBY

Banned
The Mook stuff doesn't mean anything, but he really has to remove that nervous laugh from his interview repertoire

The Mook stuff doesn't mean anything, but he really has to remove that nervous laugh from his interview repertoire

Yeah he didn't really avoid policy questions, as much as he didn't want to talk about her opinion on past policy, which he either doesn't know well or at all. They're also asking him to shit on Obama, which they're not stupid enough to do.

I don't think douthat makes the point he thinks he's making in this point

He's thesis is that the cultural left is pushing too-far too fast and the voters are responding with trump and he sumarizes it with this

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/o...-samantha-bee-problem.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

Something like this happened once before: In the 1960s and 1970s, the culture shifted decisively leftward, but American voters shifted to the right and answered a cultural revolution with a political Thermidor.

That Nixon-Reagan rightward shift did not repeal the 1960s or push the counterculture back to a beatnik-hippie fringe. But it did leave liberalism in a curious place throughout the 1980s: atop the commanding heights of culture yet often impotent in Washington, D.C.

By nominating a Trump rather than a Nixon or a Reagan, the Republicans may have saved liberalism from repeating that trajectory. But it remains an advantage for the G.O.P., and a liability for the Democratic Party, that the new cultural orthodoxy is sufficiently stifling to leave many Americans looking to the voting booth as a way to register dissent.

He says the country moved far to left in the 60s (yes granting blacks the right to vote and repealing jim crow, and stifling women from true freedom is "too far") so it let the right into power in the 70s and 80s. I don't think that's wrong per se but his last paragraph is hilarious ignoring that Trump is representative of the impotence of the revanchist movement Douthat cheers on (he really thinks its an aberration?) because he really hates women deciding when to have babies and people changing catholic doctrine(also how does this dude live such a dreary life at age 36? dude writes like he's 80)

edit: of course the impotent left is cheering this on since they always freak out that "maybe we've gone too far" and they constantly buy into the "americans love traditional values" meme the right peadles dispite the fact that this isn't true.

There's issues with the safe spaces and the radicalness of the certain aspects of identity politics but those aren't ascendant in the party by and large (and clinton seemingly rejects the ideas behind them) but that's not the people douthat rails against. Its comedians who haven't staked out a space there but rather who exclusively go after the overt racism and sexism of the right, THATS what bothers douthat. Notice how he titles his piece the "samantha bee problem" not the far more popular Colbert or Oliver. Bee isn't even that radical and has attacked the left far more than the others but bee represents the "trouble for the left" in douthat's eyes. He masks his fear for the catholic doctrine in concern trolling about the left.

sazzy

Anyone missed this?

Corey is still getting paid by the Trump campaign, while working for CNN.

CNN commentator and former Donald Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski was paid $20,000 in August by the campaign for what it described as “strategy consulting,” raising anew the conflict of interest issue that has dogged the cable network’s hiring of Lewandowski.

CNN has said previously that Trump’s payments to Lewandowski and his consulting firm were “severance” for his employment by Trump. It began introducing his appearances on the air last month by mentioning that he receives severance from Trump.

But the payments continued in August, according to Trump’s campaign expenditure filing released Tuesday night. The description used by Trump’s campaign in the filing — “strategy consulting” — also suggested that Lewandowski is playing a more active and current role in the campaign than “severance” would suggest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life..._special-topic-chain_cnn-320am:homepage/story

royalan

This is still a huge problem, and I'm concerned that the campaign doesn't see it as such. All-star surrogates can only do so much; their names aren't on the ballot.

And the week she starts pivoting more toward speaking to her base, she also goes back into low-profile mode (again) to prepare for the debates.

They need a better strategy than this.

Last Week Tonight John Oliver — 4.7 million (average weekly viewership, including re-airs)
The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon — 3.2 million
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert — 2.57 million
Jimmy Kimmel Live — 2.53 million
Late Night with Seth Meyers — 1.56 million
Nightline — 1.56 million
Late Late Show with James Corden — 1.33 million
Last Call with Carson Daly — 900,000
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah — 840,000
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee — 620,000
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore — 560,000
Conan — 520,000

These are the late night ratings. And Douthat goes after bee? for a show that .01% of the country is watching 1 night a week

Boke1879

This is still a huge problem, and I'm concerned that the campaign doesn't see it as such. All-star surrogates can only do so much; their names aren't on the ballot.

And the week she starts pivoting more toward speaking to her base, she also goes back into low-profile mode (again) to prepare for the debates.

They need a better strategy than this.

Eh she gave a speech Monday, a press conference on the terror thing. Been on Tom Joyner and Steve Harvey morning show. And giving a speech later today. Friday I don't expect her to do much of anything since it's the start of the weekend. Tomorrow we'll see.

royalan

Eh she gave a speech Monday, a press conference on the terror thing. Been on Tom Joyner and Steve Harvey morning show. And giving a speech later today. Friday I don't expect her to do much of anything since it's the start of the weekend. Tomorrow we'll see.

We'll see. She needs to shake up her rally strategy, because they don't get covered. That's a reality that's not going to change between now and Nov 8th, and her campaign needs to accept that so they can plan around it. For better or worse, Trump has redefined the campaign rally as "Thing where candidate says overwhelmingly stupid shit."

I live in Philly, and hardly anybody that I've met even knows that this Monday's rally even happened. And I spend my days surrounded by 25-40 year olds.

We'll see. She needs to shake up her rally strategy, because they don't get covered. That's a reality that's not going to change between now and NOv 8th, and her campaign needs to accept so they can plan around it. For better or worse, Trump has redefined the campaign rally as "Thing where candidate says overwhelmingly stupid shit."

I live in Philly, and hardly anybody that I've met even knows that this Monday's rally even happened. And I spend my days surrounded by 25-40 year olds.

There was kind of more important news to cover on Monday. Hillary would look worse by trying to showboat and take attention away from a terrorist attack than to have some random speech ignored.

Plouffe to Mook's rescue (I think, can be interpreted both ways):

David PlouffeVerified account
‏@davidplouffe
Presidential campaign managers job is to execute a winning strategy to secure 270 electoral votes. Not make new policy. Know the difference
(Inclined to agree, still looked bad, they need to learn from it).

Dude is like a dog with a bone with this. If there's something huge there, he's going to find it. The fact that the portrait hangs in a restaurant is illegal as fuck, considering it was paid for by charity donations.

And the Trump campaign response is "LOL he's obsessed with Trump". This shit is illegal and needs to be called out.

So Don King is with Trump today. Things are happening.

‏@JDiamond1
Pastor Darrell Scott, asking to move clergy members at Trump event into first rows: "I don’t want to put ’em in the Jim Crow section."

@JDiamond1
Don King just said the N-word in a church while introducing Donald Trump, who is in a chair onstage a few feet away

@JDiamond1
Trump, moments later, taking the stage: "Ah, there's only one Don King..."

Iolo

Conway is not Mook's counterpart. Mook's job is to manage the campaign. Conway's job is to do PR and cleanup for Trump, because Trump doesn't have a campaign.

edit: Plouffe already got to this.

Loudninja

‏@JDiamond1
Pastor Darrell Scott, asking to move clergy members at Trump event into first rows: "I don’t want to put ’em in the Jim Crow section."

@JDiamond1
Don King just said the N-word in a church while introducing Donald Trump, who is in a chair onstage a few feet away

@JDiamond1
Whattttt.

SexyFish

Banned

‏@JDiamond1

@JDiamond1

@JDiamond1
Holy fuck please be a video.

sazzy

oWBqgt.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

‏@JDiamond1

@JDiamond1

@JDiamond1

God, if you're real, please release the video of this. Please.

HylianTom

Banned
That is key. Put Obama to work.

I say 4 days a week instead of 2 days a week!
Yup. This is going to be a job for surrogates, as the undecideds don't really like Hillary..

PPP:
Problem for Clinton with undecideds in NC, even though they like current direction of country, is her fav is 10/75..

We joke about Obama dragging her across the finish line, but there's a good kernel of truth to it for some states.

Zukkoyaki

North Carolina is going to be close but I still think Clinton has a slight edge. It was just a couple of weeks ago when YouGov and Q had her +4 in the four-way and we've seen some movement toward her in the past couple of days.

Lewandowski's been suspended by CNN.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking-corey-lewandowski-suspended-by-cnn/

Edit: jk

Editor’s Note: Based on information from a high level CNN source, we initially reported that Corey Lewandowski was suspended from CNN. CNN has now gotten back to us and firmly denied that Lewandowski has been suspended, and said that he will be on air later today. We regret what now appears to have been an error and have made changes accordingly, but stand by our reporting that Lewandowski was pulled off the air this morning because of the brewing controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom