• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
Iowa

Cs4sFMcVUAAuPs_.jpg

Cs4sFMpVMAAreT3.jpg

That Hillary ground game at work.

Am I reading that wrong, or is the overall number of requested absentee ballots lower in 2016 than in 2012 at the same time period, for both parties?

Dems still lead this time around by a big margin, but that's a big difference in voter participation.

EDIT: That's right, the DNC happened much later in August four years ago.

JicnTtf.gif

Nobody is talking about the ground game in the media. I may continue to bang my head against the wall a few times between now and November but election night will be fun, and quick.

I've literally been talking about the amazing Dem absentee ballot numbers every day. Make me the media!

Iolo

It seems like some people are saying those Dem numbers look great, and some terrible. They look terrible to me, what's going on.

Boke1879

I think as long as Clinton focuses on the fundamentals like she is. We're good to go. A good debate will help, but her ground game is on point. And from next week until early voting ends have her stumpers out there encouraging it.

NeoXChaos

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict 28m28 minutes ago
Also no evidence of a pro-Trump surge in VA. In July/Aug, 52% of net new reg came from FFX, ARL, ALX, LDN, PWC, RIC, HCO (all heavy Dem).

Trump is finished in VA. Ground Game will kill him. He won't be able to take advantage of his numbers in IA, OH etc if he got nobody getting them to polls, registering etc.

Joeytj

Banned
It seems like some people are saying those Dem numbers look great, and some terrible. They look terrible to me, what's going on.

Pro: There are still more Dems voting than Rep.

Cons: They are down big compared to 2012.

Unknown: How much of those big numbers from 2012 was due to enthusiasm at the beginning but then leveled off later. We don't know if this represents an overall trend for the rest of the campaign or just bad numbers.

Summary: Iowa isn't lost, but it isn't going to be easy. Just like we've known for a while. Those Republican numbers are the same or worse since 2012, meaning Trump isn't surprising Romney. But the Democratic electorate (Obama coalition) is definitely depressed right now and needs to be given a shot of hopium STAT.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes, "propensity to panic". There's a pretty distinct line between Cybit-posting (which has great value given his status, and is the yin to my and Aaron's yang) and what you've been doing, which has been posts amounting to "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck the world is ending, oh fuck she can't possibly win X" based on single data points for the past month at a frequency that would make 2012 Diablos blush.

And, sorry, the "Clinton needs to do XYZ" debates are one step up from OT's merry band of complete political neophytes doing them (and are about ten steps down from actually talking to members of the campaign in terms of likelihood that they're points that haven't been rehashed to hell and back by some combination of royalan, adam and Crab over the past month).

I want to see the receipts, from "the last month," as you say is when this supposedly happened. "I'm worried/concerned" is nowhere near what you just posted in any universe let alone this board.

By the way, if my posts annoy you so much, feel free to put me on ignore or just not respond. I'm just trying to have a decent conversation about politics with a variety of viewpoints. If my responses have that effect on you, it might be better for you to just skip them.

Pro: There are still more Dems voting than Rep.

Cons: They are down big compared to 2012.

Unknown: How much of those big numbers from 2012 was due to enthusiasm at the beginning but then leveled off later. We don't know if this represents an overall trend for the rest of the campaign or just bad numbers.

Summary: Iowa isn't lost, but it isn't going to be easy. Just like we've known for a while. Those Republican numbers are the same or worse since 2012, meaning Trump isn't surprising Romney. But the Democratic electorate (Obama coalition) is definitely depressed right now and needs to be given a shot of hopium STAT.

1.5 million people voted in Iowa in '12. My gusss is the number will probably be a tad less this year. It's up to the Clinton campaign to identify members of the Obama coalition and then get them to vote early. Thankfully, you can even petition the state to do temp voting booths if 100 people request it, so there are lots of opportunities to get undecideds to commit.

If it shriks to a 3-4 point race in Iowa, she might have a shot with overcoming Trump due to ground game. But these numbers need to be better.

adam pls

best advice here was to throw it in the pile and wait.

This advice is a pet peeve of mine. If I released 20 polls from the Antrax Polling Company that all had Trump +10 or Clinton +20, you shouldn't just throw these into the aggregate! I'm going to break the aggregate by sheer volume of trash. This is still in the same category as what I was talking about earlier. Science isn't based on faith! Don't trust pollsters! Just read the damn studies and results, then see if they make sense.

If I came out with a poll that had 50% of the electorate as non-white, that would clearly be garbage! Why put that into an aggregate?

Effect

I'm dreading what the aftermath of this will be in the morning. Can't stay up watching this and really so tried right now I doubt I could if I wanted to. :(

One thing about that NV Fox News poll I wanted to mention.

Latino Decisions had Nevada at 70/14 among Latino voters.
Fox News had it at 43/32.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm dreading what the aftermath of this will be in the morning. Can't stay up watching this and really so tried right now I doubt I could if I wanted to. :(

Well, from what CNN has shown there's been some looting so expect that to be the story in certain places.

Cyanity

Banned
And the police are moving

Protesters with hands up, tensions are HIGH, and the reporters seem scared.

edit - More tear gas being shot out, rubber bullets fired, some protesters huddled up and praying

ABC just confirmed that the person who got shot has died.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And the police are moving

Protesters with hands up, tensions are HIGH, and the reporters seem scared.

edit - More tear gas being shot out, rubber bullets fired

Well, according to CNN one of their reporters just got assaulted. Can't blame them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One thing about that NV Fox News poll I wanted to mention.

Latino Decisions had Nevada at 70/14 among Latino voters.
Fox News had it at 43/32.

I find the disparity between demographics in the polls this time around absolutely amazing. The increased cultural diversity in the country has definitely made pollsters' jobs tougher.

Iowa

Cs4sFMcVUAAuPs_.jpg

Cs4sFMpVMAAreT3.jpg

Isn't Iowa supposedly the state where Trump has the best ground game? An operation directed by Terry Branstad's son, and the enthusiastic participation of GOP officials up and down the line statewide? Many offices and staff? With a decent budget and advertising? Because that is certainly encouraging.

mo60

Isn't Iowa supposedly the state where Trump has the best ground game? An operation directed by Terry Branstad's son, and the enthusiastic participation of GOP officials up and down the line statewide? Many offices and staff? With a decent budget and advertising? Because that is certainly encouraging.

Yeah. Iowa is his best state in terms of ground game. Even with that he's around romney numbers in Iowa.

Plinko

Iowa

Cs4sFMcVUAAuPs_.jpg

Cs4sFMpVMAAreT3.jpg

Am I misreading this, or are those numbers way worse for democrats than the same point in 2012? Almost 93000 in 2012 but only 43000 this year?

Sibylus

Banned
Confession: I can't visually distinguish Scoot from other bald, white, crazy-eyed manic dudes like Ricketts. They all look the same to me.

This was also my takeaway. If Trump's best ground game (tm) gets him 2,000 more votes comparably than Romney at the same time in his best swing state, hm.

Valhelm

contribute something
Cruz and Trump and the rest of the GOP have started raging at IP addresses now being given out an American organization that doesn't have a contract with America (whereas they did have a contract prior).

This is the dumbest, most convoluted campaign issue they've tried to create.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160916_internet_stewardship_transition_critical_to_internets_future/

It's absolutely nothing and yet Cruz is mad as hell.

Reminds me of that old Pete Seeger line.

Down with foreign-born atoms!

This was also my takeaway. If Trump's best ground game (tm) gets him 2,000 more votes comparably than Romney at the same time in his best swing state, hm.
The problem for Trump is that even matching Romney isn't going to be enough, the dude *lost*.

Romney's campaign was run with average competence. Trump's campaign is running with zero. His turnout operation being merely adequate in Iowa just sticks out more because he has none elsewhere.

Cyanity

Banned
Cruz and Trump and the rest of the GOP have started raging at IP addresses now being given out an American organization that doesn't have a contract with America (whereas they did have a contract prior).

This is the dumbest, most convoluted campaign issue they've tried to create.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160916_internet_stewardship_transition_critical_to_internets_future/

It's absolutely nothing and yet Cruz is mad as hell.

Literally no one is going to read this (figuratively). Which is fine by me lol

I'm not really worried about the discrepancy between the Fox News and NBC polls. State polling tend to lag after the national polls. We saw this last week, and we are seeing it again this week.

mo60

The problem for Trump is that even matching Romney isn't going to be enough, the dude *lost*.

Romney's campaign was run with average competence. Trump's campaign is running with zero. His turnout operation being merely adequate in Iowa just sticks out more because he has none elsewhere.

I have a feeling if a trend like this pops up when ballot box voting happens on November 8th in Iowa hilary will win Iowa by a few percentage points unless a lot of the NPA's are moving towards republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom