• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebloo

She should say "millionaires like us" if she's talking about tax reform because I'm not sure he can resist the bait of putting himself above her.

I said this a few days ago and people said she shouldn't because it's not a "good look". Meh.

"People that earn more need to pay more. Millionaires like us need to pay our fair share"

Was CNN actually better before 2012 or did it just seem okay because I was younger?

I would peg CNN's noticeable decline starting around 9/11 when they started running a constant news ticker of doom on screen at all times. It was a really long time ago now but I do think they were a lot more.. sedate.. previously.

But it really nosedived when Jeff Zucker took over a few years ago.

On a related note, you should check out CNN.com's "evolution" over the years through archive.org.

I said this a few days ago and people said she shouldn't because it's not a "good look". Meh.

I understand not wanting to repeatedly remind everyone that she's rich, but everyone knows it already and in the context of tax reform / income inequality it looks selfless. I wouldn't say it every time millionaires come up but it's fine for that purpose.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It'll be a bad look. I'm pretty confident that won't play as well as it did in the primaries. First of all she has more spine than the rest of the GOP field combined, and the man/woman dynamic really is a landmine in a debate. Biden had to be careful not to step on one and Lazio famously did.

The funniest part about the Lazio one is that he walked right into it without even realizing how badly he fucked it up.

Trump actually showed during the debates he didn't have a clue how to deal with Fiorina. And, ya. While there are different expectations for men and women (gross as they are) the people that matter* will not like Trump being a dick. It'll play with his base, but who cares about them.

Hillary needs to stay above it, though. Because too many people are in the "both sides" mindset. She needs to make sure the temperament difference is on full display. That's what her campaign has been building for months. This her time to show those differences in real time. And she knows that.

And Daddy Mook if you're reading this.....hey gurl. Hey.

The media keeps saying the debates will have "the highest rating in history!!!". Sounds to me more like the media is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Enthusiasm is at all-time low for both candidates. I'm sure many will be tuning in to see the spectacle but I don't know if I would assume it's going to have the highest ratings.

They're expecting 100 million viewers, but I agree I'm not convinced it's going to be that big.

But hey they think it's PAY DAY.

thebloo

I understand not wanting to repeatedly remind everyone that she's rich, but everyone knows it already and in the context of tax reform / income inequality it looks selfless. I wouldn't say it every time millionaires come up but it's fine for that purpose.

Exactly. She has said it before. Her "income equality" ad even features a clip of her talking about "her paying her fair share".

I love this account.

CtCqowYXYAAdIzv.jpg

CtCqpTyWIAElnpO.jpg

https://twitter.com/ralphdouthat/status/779310376919953408

Bowdz

CNN dedicating a solid month to covering the missing Malaysia plane is around the time I stopped watching them altogether

Don Lemon seriously asking whether or not a mini black hole could have swallowed the plane is when I lost all respect for CNN.

Don really did work for that worst journalist of the year award.

AndyD

aka andydumi
She should say "millionaires like us" if she's talking about tax reform because I'm not sure he can resist the bait of putting himself above her.

That's even better. Especially around the line she has been using recently that "most of the wealth gains have gone to the one percent" cap it with "millionaires like us". Or tie it to the estate tax discussions.

To be fair, CNN is not a total dumpster fire like many of you are saying. It is still better than msnbc. What you see happen is them trying to chase the DEADHEAT and HORSERACE narrative from time to time, and Jeff Zucker improved the quality of CNN original programming.

Parts Unknown: works as a travel-docu-news commentary with an exceptionally charming host.

Lisa Ling: You get to see sides of America you never paid much attention to.

United Shades of America: Society through the eyes of a black man.

Inside Man: Morgan spurlock doing his Supersize me stuff.

On top of that, they got the reasonably well made programs covering the 60's, 70's, 80's and next year, the 90's. Other original programming segments: Race for the Whitehouse, Holy Hell a new series about presidential losers. This is all Zucker's doing. Whereas you tune into msnbc after 9 you will be greeted with prison lockup stories.

To be fair, CNN is not a total dumpster fire like many of you are saying. It is still better than msnbc. What you see happen is them trying to chase the DEADHEAT and HORSERACE narrative from time to time, and Jeff Zucker improved the quality of CNN original programming.

Parts Unknown: works as a travel-docu-news commentary with an exceptionally charming host.

On top of that, they got the reasonably well made programs covering the 60's, 70's, 80's and next year, the 90's. Other original programming segments: Race for the Whitehouse, Holy Hell a new series about presidential losers. This is all Zucker's doing. Whereas you tune into msnbc after 9 you will be greeted with prison lockup stories.

Lisa Ling is a national treasure. I loved her show on OWN. I haven't watched her on CNN, though. Her husband's an idiot, but whatever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

CNN's original stuff has been fantastic, I just wish the rest of the channel was as good. Honestly, their original stuff is the sort of thing 24-hour news networks should be doing when there isn't breaking news.

Hell if I were in charge I'd set it up like NY1 and have them do a short news brief every hour or so along side specific coverage of things. I mean, it doesn't need to be politics and panels 24/7. Throw in a 40 minute arts show or sports or international news or something to spice it up. There's so much basic news they don't cover that could easily justify their own show.

Like, make it look like this:

Morning Show
News
Short weather update
Arts/Movies
Newsbrief/weather
Sports (timed for lunch)
Newsbrief/weather
Politics
Newsbrief/weather
Business
Newsbrief/weather
Politics
AC360
Don Lemon

Shit, even with the diversity there's still a ton of political crap.

Third poll in as many days to show Clinton up 6 against the full field. Two up 7 in the head to head (AP still had it at 6).

Marist also has Democrats up 4 in the generic ballot.

Hopefully this marks a return to the baseline being a 6-8 point lead and the states follow suit. Ahead of the debate that's not a bad place to be.

Third poll in as many days to show Clinton up 6 against the full field. Two up 7 in the head to head (AP still had it at 6).

Hopefully this marks a return to the baseline being a 6-8 point lead and the states follow suit. Ahead of the debate that's not a bad place to be.

If turnout matches or exceeds (latinos) 2012, those look like a realistic outcome.

Ali Vitali ‏@alivitali 8m8 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Source tells @KatyTurNBC re: debate prep- advisors tried to show Trump video of past debates but he thought his answers were perfect.

LOL

Bowdz

That's basically post convention levels. I doubt it's actually that high, but i do love seeing the polls back up.

Also, if any of the Clinton team are reading this thread, get working g on those 30min primetime infomercials. Use that sweet, sweet money wisely.

Futureman

for the presidential debates, do the candidates know the questions ahead of time?

my friend is trying to say Hillary can only read off teleprompters and that's all she used in the Democratic debates... pretty sure he's wrong as how would they have prepared answer ahead of time?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
for the presidential debates, do the candidates know the questions ahead of time?

my friend is trying to say Hillary can only read off teleprompters and that's all she used in the Democratic debates... pretty sure he's wrong as how would they have prepared answer ahead of time?

No, that's...that's not even close to reality. Where the hell does this even come from?

Boke1879

lol you don't read off teleprompters in debates

http://debates.org/index.php?page=overview
The moderators alone select the questions to be asked, which are not known to the CPD or to the candidates. They do not meet with the campaigns, nor do the campaigns have a role in moderator selection.

No, they do not know the questions in advance, although they can make educated guesses based on current and more reported events.

That's what normal campaigns do - prep, mock debates, debate coaching.

Except Trump cause he's perfect.

User1608

Banned
With the way Trump is half assing his prep for the debates I'm not even worried. He's gonna bomb and it'll be glorious.

After the last 15 months, if it goes the way I expect it to go I'm going to enjoy seeing him embarrass himself on national television.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

This feels like a reversion to where we were back when the focus was on Trump and not Clinton. This seems to sort of be about where the electorate is, until the Trump campaign manages to shift the focus to some Clinton controversy and the media decides to pretend that having a charitable organization that might have some nebulous unprovable influence on the SoS is as bad as calling Mexican's Rapists or using money from your family foundation to pay legal bills.

Boke1879

Well it's clear Trump isn't doing any sort of debate prep at all. And what little he has done he clearly doesn't have the attention span to sit through the process.

Iolo

Yes all of Trump's responses and facial expressions at the debate will be scripted and they will be provided to Hillary before the debate. Trump is not allowed to deviate from the script in the slightest or the match will be immediately ended and called for HRC.

Only thing candidates are allowed is a small notepad to write on during the debate.

StoOgE

Your friend is wrong. Hillary is a pretty decent debater. I would say that in a lot of cases, she got the better of Obama in debates. Obama got much better at debating towards the end and may have passed her late in the 08 primary, but she is absolutely not a slouch.

Just remember: Hillary actually knows world leaders, actually knows and has been involved in foreign and domestic policy and has spent all of her adult life talking one on one to average voters. The "shrill unlikable" Hillary that is often presented is a strawman propped up by right wing news radio. She is actually pretty likable and affable in person and does a fucking great job of connecting with voters one on one.

She will absolutely slay in the town hall setting especially, where Trump will probably insult a few minorities on national TV.

She could walk in cold and destroy him on the basis of knowing what she is talking about and not cramming into memory the names of a handful of world leaders 15 minutes before the debate starts. Throw in Batman levels of prep time on that shit, and she has this on lockdown.

The only thing Trump has going for him is he is being graded on a scale because most people expect him to call her a bitch or take a swing.

Iolo

Trump is doing a good job of lowering expectations to the absolute minimum. I'm not practicing at all, my answers are perfect, Hillary is the best debater of all time, and I can't sit still for 90 minutes.

Boke1879

Trump is doing a good job of lowering expectations to the absolute minimum. I'm not practicing at all, my answers are perfect, Hillary is the best debater of all time, and I can't sit still for 90 minutes.

He can lower them all he wants. He's going to say the next day he won and the system was rigged regardless.

Debate analysis is always wacky anyway. I never agree with the media the day after when they choose "winners" and "losers". We can say slay this and slay that, but there's never any objectivity in these things.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

To play the other side here, though, Nate Silver (yes, I know) brought up a good point--Trump's team is pretty crafty. Perhaps these stories are being leaked purposely to lower expectations in the media and public.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Your friend is wrong. Hillary is a pretty decent debater. I would say that in a lot of cases, she got the better of Obama in debates. Obama got much better at debating towards the end and may have passed her late in the 08 primary, but she is absolutely not a slouch.

Just remember: Hillary actually knows world leaders, actually knows and has been involved in foreign and domestic policy and has spent all of her adult life talking one on one to average voters. The "shrill unlikable" Hillary that is often presented is a strawman propped up by right wing news radio. She is actually pretty likable and affable in person and does a fucking great job of connecting with voters one on one.

She will absolutely slay in the town hall setting especially, where Trump will probably insult a few minorities on national TV.

She could walk in cold and destroy him on the basis of knowing what she is talking about and not cramming into memory the names of a handful of world leaders 15 minutes before the debate starts. Throw in Batman levels of prep time on that shit, and she has this on lockdown.

The only thing Trump has going for him is he is being graded on a scale because most people expect him to call her a bitch or take a swing.

I'm still putting money on him calling her a bitch. Hell, I want that to be a poll on the debate thread.

What faux pas do you think Trump will commit:
1. Call Hillary a Bitch/other sexist comment
2. Denigrate Muslims
3. Insult Veterans and/or Medal of Honor recipients and/or their families
4. Talk about the size of his penis
5. "Slavery wasn't so bad..."
6. "Obama was not born in the US"
7. Expose his mob ties

User1608

Banned
To play the other side here, though, Nate Silver (yes, I know) brought up a good point--Trump's team is pretty crafty. Perhaps these stories are being leaked purposely to lower expectations in the media and public.
Hmm, would be a good trap for certain. Hopefully Hillary and her team have taken that into account as well.

Trump has not once in the year of his campaign shown any hidden latent ability to debate like a grown up. Everything "leaked" so far sounds spot on to how we know Trump prepares for things.

StoOgE

Debate analysis is always wacky anyway. I never agree with the media the day after when they choose "winners" and "losers". We can say slay this and slay that, but there's never any objectivity in these things.

Here is how debate "analysis" goes.

1) Right after the debate they talk about how it went well for both of them and hem and haw about why maybe the underdog really helped themselves with the American electorate and that both candidates are happy with how the debate came. They'll talk about how Trump elevated himself to presidential just by holding his own on the stage with a former first lady/Senator/SoS.

2) Then the snap polls will come out 30-45 minutes after the end of the debate and they'll all pretend that they thought what the polls said happened the entire time and ignore their own analysis from 5 minutes prior.

Boke1879

Maybe but I still don't see Trump actually doing the prep work. Hillary definitely shouldn't be overconfident. But just look at Trump and how busy he is. He somewhere different every day holding a rally. I just don't see where he has time to prep.

Zukkoyaki

Let's not forget his non-stop traveling which would leave little time for debate prep and the national security forum a couple of weeks ago where he made a complete ass of himself. The media blasted him for it as well. I suspect that was a trailer for Monday.

If DPP is a Nazi party, the Republicans are also a Nazi party. The DPP is actually more moderate than Trump: compare their stances on Syrian refugees, for example. This means the welfare state-less America is heading towards ~45%, so Denmark is doing pretty well.

That's a bit of a facile answer, though I thought I'd point it out. The real answer is that no, the welfare state isn't the most important factor here, although it can ameliorate. No amount of increased welfare from the state can make up for flatlining earnings; no amount of benefits really makes up for the indignity of unemployment and the loss of stature; and some pity from the cultural elite doesn't make up for the fact that the professionalization of politics across Western countries has removed the voice of the working class. The cause of rising far-right sentiment is this stagnation and feeling of being left behind and ignored; the losers of economic liberalism and globalization. Tackling it means more than just having more generous unemployment provisions; it means bringing back jobs, retraining people whose livelihoods have fallen by the wayside, trying to increase wages, and so on.

You go up to the north Welsh valleys and those places are sad. They were killed in 1984 by Mrs. Thatcher and the world didn't even bother with a funeral. Unemployment is crossgenerational and endemic. Towns are crumbling. Schools barely have the resources they need to function. Anyone who can make it gets out as fast as they can. There's no jobs. There's no hope. These were and to an extent are Labour strongholds. But they don't recognize the Labour Party; it's full of those ivory tower folk now, who don't represent them and even worse, don't make the effort to understand them. These areas were Brexit landslides. It's the same story in France - the Front National does best in places that in the 1980s were Socialist bastions. It's the same story in Germany - AfD does best in the East! And, of course, it's the same story in America. Trump is the candidate of rurality and rust.

Plus ça change.

IDK, this seems as close as possible to saying "yes, we are definitely a white supremacist party."

Former party leader Pia Kjærsgaard stated she did "not want Denmark as a multiethnic, multicultural society",[56] and that a multiethnic Denmark would be a "national disaster"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom