• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brief synopsis?

"I haven't been reading any news in the last 2 years, but I don't really see how a group supporting the Republican nominee could be white nationalists."

"What's wrong with what he's saying here?"

"This is America, you should be free to have your own opinions separate from the product you are selling."

Diablos

all i do is sit in my room play video games and study for school.. im a college student with my associates im a blk male n i never had a job or girl firend n im living at home with my mom ...
Maybe try volunteering for something? It's a good way to make connections or if nothing else get your mind focused on other things.

studyguy

A lot of the thread is just like pre-primary opinions of Republicans or general misinformed opinions, half hearted excuses in defense of VR/Oculus.

It reads like a bad OT thread.

rjinaz

Taking a trip up to Vermont to get away from it all and do some psychedelics in the woods w/ friends before the first debate. Second I come home the popcorn's going on the burner. Can't wait!

I didn't realize "crafty" was a synonym for "just completely awful"

Lol I think I'm going with something besides alcohol too. It will be 'poppy' just like Hillary at the debate. Hey this is a special occasion. I hope the ratings are incredible. Politics should be watched more by Americans.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good tweet:

Darren Hutchinson @dissentingj
Reading polls re Clinton are revealing; she wins on all substantive measures, but people have "doubts." This is how job discrimination works

That's great and all, but this is the best thing on the page right now:

ttpVC5r.png
He wishes he's ever looked even a tenth as good as this.

Any reason to bedwet over Cheryl Mills getting legal immunity in the damn emails case? (NYPost) Or is this just another nothingburger?
This is just a tidbit about how FBI conducted their interview. FBI gave her limited immunity, she provided testimony to the FBI, James Comey gave press conference stating he's not recommending any charges toward HRC. Case closed.

HylianTom

Banned
That's a great ad (especially for gif purposes), but this one using Wolf Blitzer and Chris Matthews calling the race for Hillary just slays me. You can feel the dread building, with Jeb being the GOP's Cassandra, warning us of what would happen with a Trump nomination.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/b4f471e8-b120-40a8-8db6-a4d569fbbf8f

(Great dramatic music, too. I wish they'd put it up on YouTube )
(And check-out the chryons in the commercial. 1984!)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Because I'm a masochist, I popped on Rush while out for lunch.

"... the question is, if Hillary has an 'episode' or seizure on stage, should Trump offer ... should he go over there and help?"

Iolo

Because I'm a masochist, I popped on Rush while out for lunch.

"... the question is, if Hillary has an 'episode' or seizure on stage, should Trump offer ... should he go over there and help?"

It's been mentioned here before, but the #optics of Trump being beaten by an old, invalid woman is a real risk to Trump supporter morale. I'm not sure why they're pursuing this line of thought.

User1608

Banned
Pampered, out of touch white man displays lack of self-awareness. This is really just par for the course with the Trump kids, yet there are still some claiming they should be left out of the discussion.
Indeed. I'm going to be blunt, fuck all of them. They made themselves part of their father's rephrensible campaign so they're fair game.

Hopfrog

It's been mentioned here before, but the #optics of Trump being beaten by an old, invalid woman is a real risk to Trump supporter morale. I'm not sure why they're pursuing this line of thought.

It should be an issue with their narrative. If poor, frail, on-death's-door Hillary can best Trump, what does that say about him? But it won't matter to his supporters, they will rationalize it away like they do with every other piece of information which challenges their worldview.

studyguy

Wow, I actually saw a Jill 2016 bumper sticker today

There is exactly ONE banner for Jill in my city.
It's literally just a 2ft x 4ft banner that says "JILL" in green letters.
Nothing else. Not advocating for people to vote for her.
Not advocating the Green Party, Not even mentioning her last name.

Just 'JILL'

Like if you're trying to catch some eyes to bring them into your fold, it might help to put your full name on there. Especially considering your name is less recognizable than a dead gorilla in certain state polls.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They're not crafty at all! What on earth? Conway is polished and usually has some kind of smooth answer on TV. That's literally it. What the fuck was "crafty" about their birtherism handling last week?

Taking a trip up to Vermont to get away from it all and do some psychedelics in the woods w/ friends before the first debate. Second I come home the popcorn's going on the burner. Can't wait!

I didn't realize "crafty" was a synonym for "just completely awful"

"Crafty: clever at achieving one's aims by indirect or deceitful methods."

I stand by my original statement.

I think you may be confusing "crafty" with something else.

@realDonaldTrump
Hillary Clinton just lost every Republican she ever had, including Never Trump, all farmers & sm. biz, by saying she’ll tax estates at 65%.

Hillary just shot herself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Republicans (I'm an expert), but estate taxes are huge parts of it. It's not like for Democrats where you can become successful by taxing the rich. If you screw over the rich, you won't get their vote, and the only way to get their vote is repentance.

What this means is that Republicans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to vote for Hillary, nor will they vote for any Democrats downticket. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Hillary has alienated an entire voting bloc with this move.

Hillary, publicly apologize for your 65% estate tax or you can kiss your POTUS dreams goodbye.

Debirudog

Trump is an idiot but the people who leash him are definitely crafty; I despise Ailes and Bannon but no one can deny they knew what to do better than Lewandowski and Manafort.

The 65% estate tax rate applies to basically nobody. Or at least such an insignificant number that it sways nobody against her.

And it's something ripped right from Bernie, so maybe a couple Busters wake up from their fever dreams and realize they indirectly support white supremacy and Hillary isn't really that bad.

Hopfrog

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Republicans (I'm an expert), but estate taxes are huge parts of it. It's not like for Democrats where you can become successful by taxing the rich. If you screw over the rich, you won't get their vote, and the only way to get their vote is repentance.

What this means is that Republicans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to vote for Hillary, nor will they vote for any Democrats downticket. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Hillary has alienated an entire voting bloc with this move.

Hillary, publicly apologize for your 65% estate tax or you can kiss your POTUS dreams goodbye.

CapIunderstoodthatreference.gif

The exemption is over $5 million right now and likely won't change much. The only people this will affect is the 1%.

EDIT: Technically the 0.2%: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/how-many-people-pay-estate-tax
About 9,500 estate tax returns were filed for people who died in 2011, of which only 4,400 were taxable, less than 1 in 500 of the 2.5 million people who died in that year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The 65% estate tax rate applies to basically nobody. Or at least such an insignificant number that it sways nobody against her.

And it's something ripped right from Bernie, so maybe a couple Busters wake up from their fever dreams and realize they indirectly support white supremacy and Hillary isn't really that bad.

Right. I've always been confused how republicans think that this would appeal to anyone except the ultra-rich, many of which were probably going to vote republican anyway.

Holmes

R's appear to be down. Though independents are up, which could just be 2012 R's that don't want to call themselves R's any longer.
Maybe. Maybe not. We have no way of really knowing.

Here is the North Carolina statewide voter registration data for 09/15/2012. Here is the data for 09/17/2016.

Looking through the data, in 2012, the voters in the state were 43.1% Democratic, 31.2% Republican and 25.2% Independent. Further, the voters were 72% white, 22.1% African-American, 1.6% Hispanic and 4.3% Other.

Now in 2016, the state's voters are 39.8% Democratic, 30.3% Republican and 29.5% Independent. The racial composition is now 69.9% white, 22.3% African-American, 2.3% Hispanic and 5.5% Other.

Over the course of these four years, total registration numbers in the state are up approximately 300k. Democratic numbers are actually down about 100k, Republicans are steady and Independents are up 300k. White and African-American numbers are up about 70k each, and Hispanic and Other numbers are up nearly a combined 200k.

North Carolina is very much still a Dixiecrat state, which is why Romney was able to win the state with such a high percentage of Democrats (43%). If Democrats in North Carolina all voted like Democrats in Michigan, or Minnesota, or Massachusetts, it would've been a comfortable Obama win. We know in Florida, in many of the panhandle counties, Dixiecrats are switching their registrations over to Republican. I don't know if that's happening in North Carolina since I don't really have to time to look at individual counties at the moment. That could account for the Democrats losing voters, who knows. I will say, though, that the bulk of new voter registrations have been Independent, and most of new voters are younger voters. I can only assume but I'm willing to bet with such a large number of young voters who have requested an absentee ballot, that's what accounts for the spike in Independents requesting a ballot. Of course, some young voters also likely registered as Democrats too, which might help account for the increase in Democrats requesting ballots too, along with the Clinton campaign and the local Democrats' great GOTV efforts.

What's encouraging is that even with Democrats' numbers down in the state, they're dominating the absentee ballots right now. That doesn't just happen on its own. And we know that most ballots accepted so far have been by older, white voters, a prime Republican demographic. As time goes by and younger voters start sending in their ballots, the Democrats' advantage should only increase, I'd wager. And don't panic about them not sending them in now, in states with mail voting like California, Oregon, Washington, older voters always sent their ballots first, and younger voters sent them in later. All in all, very encouraging numbers out of North Carolina. Hopefully in-person early voting goes just as well -- Republicans seem to be doing everything they can to block Democratic voters from early voting (reduced hours, less polling station, no polling stations on campuses, no early voting on Sundays so black church congregations can't be bussed to the polls after mass).

Hopfrog

POLITICO ‏@politico 37s38 seconds ago
#BREAKING: Ted Cruz expected to throw support to @realDonaldTrump http://politi.co/2ctpJjA

Paul Ryan and John McCain just got gazzumped.

If he actually does this, I don't see how he survives politically. After all of the crap he took during the primaries and the display at the RNC, if he crawls back now he would look like the most spineless jellyfish in quite a while.

studyguy

What was this originally about? Square Enix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom