• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did it! We survived the week! There was less political spam across all news outlets! Unfortunately it's been at the cost of multiple police shootings, violent riots, and bombs in NYC. Not an actual improvement and plenty awful, but at least it's a different type of depressing and depressed than poll numbers!
/pol/ new thing is using "googles" as slang for niggers. Idk why, they don't seem the sort to mask their racism.
Using a fairly common verb for your derogatory term seems... odd. Something about being statistics, so you google them? That seems adequately racist.

Amir0x

Banned
This reads to me you're calling church-goers dumb. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can we not say stuff like this in here?

Literally the less educated and white you are, the more likely you are to be conned by a racist xenophobe misogynistic nutjob. That there happens to be a high correlation between how the uneducated and highly religious vote is fact. If you want to infer from that how dumb they are, hey... 😈

Bowdz

What we're seeing is a lot of people realizing, "Oh shit, Hillary Clinton is a real person! With like, emotion and a sense of humor and stuff."

This is literally what we saw during the DNC. People went in thinking Hillary was some lying, murderous, robot and left realizing she's a good person who has worked hard for the country for her entire life.

LMAO I'm just now reading the youtube comments on Hill's Between Two Ferns, and they're all like "This is amazing she looks so awful!! OMG She's so pissed this is a disaster!!! I bet Zach "commits suicide" next week after tanking Hillary even further!!"

How are they this stupid.

That also probably goes a way in explaining it being mostly upvoted as opposed to other Hillary videos lololol
Lol, yeah I was wondering why it wasn't disliked to hell and back. Then again, that video Vox did has more likes than I thought it would.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Literally the less educated and white you are, the more likely you are to be conned by a racist xenophobe misogynistic nutjob. That there happens to be a high correlation between how the uneducated and highly religious vote is fact. If you want to infer from that how dumb they are, hey... 😈

Yeah this isn't a debate by which to get your feelings hurt. There is a 100% correlation between going to church and denying things smart people know, like global warming, evolution, and white supremacy being bad.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are y'all excited as I am to find out who will be the Labour nominee for the Prime Ministership!?!?

12 hours left to the announcement!

royalan

LMAO I'm just now reading the youtube comments on Hill's Between Two Ferns, and they're all like "This is amazing she looks so awful!! OMG She's so pissed this is a disaster!!! I bet Zach "commits suicide" next week after tanking Hillary even further!!"

How are they this stupid.

That also probably goes a way in explaining it being mostly upvoted as opposed to other Hillary videos lololol

Don't read YouTube/Facebook/Instagram comments for a positive gauge of anything.

This is literally what we saw during the DNC. People went in thinking Hillary was some lying, murderous, robot and left realizing she's a good person who has worked hard for the country for her entire life.

Yeah, that's kinda the thing, Hillary is actually pretty likable when you get her in front of people, especially in a didactic setting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What I miss? Is Corbyn out or is he clinging to the post?

you missed nothing.

that was the joke

Corbyn is about to win by an absolute landslide, again, after a right bunch of muppets thought if they called all his supporters names they'd get those votes. It was like the assassination of Julius Caesar if they all decided to stab each other first to make a point.

1) I thought using Loess was because he wanted to be able to modify the smoothing factor over time to match empirical data taken from earlier elections.

Perhaps, but it results in an overly-aggressive trend. Especially with such few data points. It might work for a daily tracker poll like USC but not for a once a month poll.

2) I think Nate is worried that if he combines polls, based on the differing methodology of each poll and a potential for an unaccounted for systemic bias, he would be mixing data points in the trend line that are fundamentally different? Though I would like to see a version of the model where he used the other factors to try to weight the various pollsters and just go with "if the polls are systemically biased, the model blows up, and it happens". I mean, he's used LOESS before, and IIRC, original PECOTA basically does what I suggested, which is try to normalize the values as close as they can, and then uses all of the points. So I guess I find it weird that he'd know to do that in 2003 but then not do it in this model unless there was some legitimate reasoning behind it.

Then if that's the case, don't do it. You can't build a trend line between a pollster's 2 or 3 polls. You can't say because something went from C+6 to C+3 there's a trend to build. This shows a complete misunderstanding of polling. Now, you can do that with other events, say maybe a sports event, but most certainly not polling. Because the state of the race could be unchanged (Hillary is up 4.5 during both polls) and you'r equally as likely to get C +6 as you are C+3. So you're building a trend out of nothing.

Besides, he already attempts to take out the bias in the polls. So you can build the trend line after taking out the bias. Basically, adjust the polls based on pollster ratings and house effects, then build a trend line off those adjustments.

Just think of the huge amounts of error he's introducing into his model with the trend line. Even if pollster X had C +10 and then gets c+2 a month later, this does not necessarily represent a change. What if the C+10 is an outright outlier and the truth was always near C+2? Now you just built a massive trend line that is indicating a massive switch towards Trump that does not exist and you're going to look foolish. Of course, this is exactly what did happen a couple months ago and I pointed it out and literally predicted the move back in the polls as a result (and was right).

But if Silver combined all the polls, and last month all the polls were around C +10 and now are around C+2, then yeah...there's a fucking trend. But among 2-4 total data points for most pollsters is an absolutely INSANE thing to do, mathematically speaking.

The other issue with the trend-lines, due to the nature of the aggressiveness, is that that itself makes no sense. They are almost always going to overstate what is going on. The trend-line is trying to predict the future polling but that also makes no sense because politics is polarized and voters don't move that much, only voter response rates do (this is not a universal statement but merely a statement of current politics).

Oddly enough, his model basically nailed the GOP primary perfectly - it was his qualitative commenting (aka pundit-ing) that messed it up. So I get why he's just letting the model speak for itself this time instead of trying to do the same kind of qualitative punditry that was during the GOP primary.

I don't understand this argument, here. For one, the model is different than the GE model (different inputs). For another, what was there to nail? Trump led all the polling, for the most part, since like December. Every model that uses polling nailed it...because all the polls said so.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm telling you this is 100% independent of Hillary and actually shows the current political divide for white people.

College + no church = strong dems and Bernie bros
no college + no church = 50% MRAs , 50% Bernie bros

no college + church = Religious right and white supremacists
College + Church = Fucking Libertarians

I am the farthest thing from a libertarian :(

Why did Ted Cruz decide today to announce his support for Trump? What the hell was he waiting for?

Trump hadn't made enough racist comments until just recently? What?

Teggy

Why did Ted Cruz decide today to announce his support for Trump? What the hell was he waiting for?

There are some rumors that he was going to do it last week and then held off after the Rinse Penis ultimatum so it didn't look like he was reacting to that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Reince Priebus threatened to "block" him from running again if he didn't support Trump. He caved. Kasich didn't--yet, but I don't see that happening.

Also: people are massively overreading the B2F segment. No, this is not 'widespread acceptance of Hillary as a person,' this is a viral thing where everbody gets something they wanted. Dems think Hillary looks good and Zack got in some zingers on Trump; Conservatives think Zack tore her to pieces because they don't understand comedy.

Spot on

Also: people are massively overreading the B2F segment. No, this is not 'widespread acceptance of Hillary as a person,' this is a viral thing where everbody gets something they wanted. Dems think Hillary looks good and Zack got in some zingers on Trump; Conservatives think Zack tore her to pieces because they don't understand comedy.
Worst thing is making an ironic/sarcastic racist comment and having a conservative buddy concur.

Like bro I was joking wtf

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a good polling day for Hildawg. That's great.

Very disappointed in Ted Cruz. We need genuine conservative leadership to take back the GOP after Trump goes down in November.

Is Cruz genuinely better than Trump? It's a like a choice between a cunning malevolence and a putrid stupidity.

Seems like a good polling day for Hildawg. That's great.

Very disappointed in Ted Cruz. We need genuine conservative leadership to take back the GOP after Trump goes down in November.

Ted Cruz was willing to shut down the government to further his personal ambitions, has positions that are far to the right even among the Republican Party, and is loathed by essentially everyone who has ever met him. He was never going to be that person.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So, yeah. That suggestion last night about selling my Rift and giving the proceeds to the Clinton campaign, if Facebook / Oculus don't ditch him that's totally happening. I just can't move past it. I helped make that guy his millions.

sphagnum

Banned
What's disturbing to me are the Trump supporters who aren't bigoted at all (as far as I know) but are super friendly and unassuming. I can only assume it's for tax reasons or such. Even then, bad look and I don't have much respect for them. Just some thoughts I've been having.

Truly interesting how life works out.

This is my father, but it's about abortion and fears about "globalism", since he's afraid liberalism will lead to a one world state where Christians would be overruled.

Incredibly nice guy, but very frustrating.

sphagnum

Banned
/pol/ new thing is using "googles" as slang for niggers. Idk why, they don't seem the sort to mask their racism.

They're trying to start a Google bombing campaign because their logic is "Google won't censor search results for itself, so if we call black people Googles then we'll get more search results to our sites".

They're trying to start a Google bombing campaign because their logic is "Google won't censor search results for itself, so if we call black people Googles then we'll get more search results to our sites".
Google can very easily censor search results that include the word Google to their own sites.

Idiots.

Another interesting thing about 538's projected 3-way vote margin -- both of Trump's highs in the model were when Trump hit 40.6% of the vote. He's been on a small, steady downward trajectory since he hit that earlier this week to below 40 again.

The failing WaPo posted an opinion article by two of Trump's economists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...07601806392_story.html?utm_term=.704e73e0f70a

The opener:

Gee, I wonder what happened. Maybe it's the fucking recession?
LOL

This reminds me of that Art Laffer fanboy we had around 2010-2012. He'd post graphs but cut them out just before a big event, such as a taxcut or a recession, to prove his point. He was quickly banned. I see these esteemed economists are doing the same thing. Such a flargrantly disingenuous way to talk about GDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom