• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the keys is outside of a few ironclad rules (incumbency, party mandate) it's easy enough to retroactively turn keys to suit whatever the result was and whichever narrative you buy at the moment.

The two I'd see in most contention are the primary challenge and the third party candidate. You could argue that Sanders' candidacy was a major roadblock to Clinton's nomination and he did fairly well - but ultimately it was never a close race. Clinton held onto a very stubborn delegate lead starting from South Carolina. In past election cycles, primary challengers dropped out when it was clear they didn't have a path to victory, but Sanders stayed in mostly on principle.

Johnson is polling okay, but we've seen in past election cycles that third party candidates' numbers drop the closer you get to election day. Is he pulling more Clinton supporters though? His and Stein's presence in the polls ranges from splitting the difference to slightly hurting Clinton, but not enough to cut into her lead. Lichtman seems to believe a big third party effect is strictly detrimental to the incumbent party but I'm not seeing that as much here. He seems to be a nonfactor.

Johnson and Sanders can essentially both be used to fit whichever outcome you desire. Want Trump to win? Then yes, they're both credible blows against Clinton's chances. Want Clinton to win? Sanders was no more than a nuisance and Johnson is a nobody. And subscribing to the keys theory will only tell us which interpretation is true after the fact.

I don't think I could pass up a chance to witness one of the greatest owns or meltdowns in the history of televised debates. Sure, chances are it won't have a moment like that.

But just the chance...

NeoXChaos

The problem with the keys is outside of a few ironclad rules (incumbency, party mandate) it's easy enough to retroactively turn keys to suit whatever the result was and whichever narrative you buy at the moment.

The two I'd see in most contention are the primary challenge and the third party candidate. You could argue that Sanders' candidacy was a major roadblock to Clinton's nomination and he did fairly well - but ultimately it was never a close race. Clinton held onto a very stubborn delegate lead starting from South Carolina. In past election cycles, primary challengers dropped out when it was clear they didn't have a path to victory, but Sanders stayed in mostly on principle.

Johnson is polling okay, but we've seen in past election cycles that third party candidates' numbers drop the closer you get to election day. Is he pulling more Clinton supporters though? His and Stein's presence in the polls ranges from splitting the difference to slightly hurting Clinton, but not enough to cut into her lead. Lichtman seems to believe a big third party effect is strictly detrimental to the incumbent party but I'm not seeing that as much here. He seems to be a nonfactor.

Johnson and Sanders can essentially both be used to fit whichever outcome you desire. Want Trump to win? Then yes, they're both credible blows against Clinton's chances. Want Clinton to win? Sanders was no more than a nuisance and Johnson is a nobody. And subscribing to the keys theory will only tell us which interpretation is true after the fact.

you voted today?

Joeytj

Banned
I...uhh, you guys are already giving up on the debate? Bedwetters anonymous indeed.

No no no, it's my lizard brain, I can't control it, so I just need to live it and not torture myself needlessly. Best guess, I'll watch it when the time comes and I'm not that nervous.

Holmes

He clearly is. There's a reason Hillary almost always does better in the 2 way race than the 4 way.
Could be because the right-leaning Johnson voters, who otherwise would be voting Republican, are more solid in their support of Johnson, so their support is already baked in, showing the illusion of Johnson pulling in more support from Clinton.

Or maybe not.

shem935

Banned
Pfft, fluid mechanics is easy. This early in the semester, you guys are probably still doing manometers.

I'm trying not to think about it lol. But we have moved on to finding the pressure/forces/moments of fluid pushing on gates. Only did like one day of manometers, wish those would come back.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I...uhh, you guys are already giving up on the debate? Bedwetters anonymous indeed.
I'm getting married in two weeks and a day. Every hour brings a new panic attack. I can't deal at this point. I'm so far past a point where I can watch something like that and not die from anxiety.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'll will be watching the debate with many beers in hand, perhaps a binder full of beers.

I shall proceed to get drunk and hopefully Hill Dawg knocks that orange mofo out.

yes it's Friday and I'm drinking!

Crayons

Banned
I'll will be watching the debate with many beers in hand, perhaps a binder full of beers.

I shall proceed to get drunk and hopefully Hill Dawg knocks that orange mofo out.

yes it's Friday and I'm drinking!

I'm going to get turnt AF for the debates! I actually today asked my parents if on election day I could invite friends and we could all get drunk. So excited

HylianTom

Banned
I still remember the roller coaster ride of the Benghazi hearing last year. A ton of people were nervous for her, and then calmed down once they realized she was doing well, and then outright jubilant as the 11 hours came to a close with her not sweating one bit as Glisteny Gowdy exited for a much-needed shower.

And then the polling numbers the following week.. oh yes..

She's damn good in high-pressure situations. I think it's pretty fitting that the final boss of her career is this cartoonish boor of a man. She's been dealing with this type all her life.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man that's really too bad! I wanted to get to know PoliGAFfers like you.

Metsfan and Makai should be there. They're good people. Hell, the whole crew is pretty cool.

I still remember the roller coaster ride of the Benghazi hearing last year. A ton of people were nervous for her, and then calmed down once they realized she was doing well, and then outright jubilant as the 11 hours came to a close with her not sweating one bit as Glisteny Gowdy exited for a much-needed shower.

She's damn good in high-pressure situations. I think it's pretty fitting that the final boss of her career is this cartoonish boor of a man. She's been dealing with this type all her life.

There'd be a certain amount of karmic justice if she beat Trump to take the presidency; not just for her, but for women in the entire country.

Crayons

Banned
I remember my first beer

I'll be there. I was gonna bail for a date but that got pushed to Sunday...

oh honey, I take my drinking very seriously. I'm no amateur.
You guys are going to have to get it for me though because I'm 20 and can't legally do so.

I'm going to get turnt AF for the debates! I actually today asked my parents if on election day I could invite friends and we could all get drunk. So excited

Are you sixteen?

Because I'll just call the police now. I have 9-1 already dialed. I'm ready.

oh honey, I take my drinking very seriously. I'm no amateur.
You guys are going to have to get it for me though because I'm 20 and can't legally do so.

"1".

You're fucked, junior. Enjoy jail and also, eventually, Hell.

User1608

Banned

The hearing was must see television and it was great to see Gowdy fail so spectacularly. Hillary will absolutely manhandle Trump for sure.

As I've repeated many times...pizza and diet coke Monday! It's going to be a riot.

NeoXChaos

so she's not running for re-election?

Ecotic

I used to believe in models like Alan Abramowitz's, and models like this new guy's with his 13 keys. But years of stock trading made me realize that you can create a trading algorithm that has 80% success over the past few months of data, and use it with great success for a while, but it will start failing sometime for reasons that are undiscernible. The underlying inputs to the algorithm (average volume, beta, correlation with the indexes) will begin to change and break the algorithm, and you have to make a new one. When I was trading I had to adjust my trading algorithms every few weeks to find a more optimal fit for the past 3 months worth of data.

The same will happen with models like the 13 keys. A model may make assumptions that will falter in time, like assuming there's a difficulty in holding the Presidency three times in a row, or holding it during a soft economy, all because of some reason like increasingly hardening partisanship.

johnsmith

remember me
Bro. I get this. So much. High school football. Ice cream after. And once the kids are in bed, maybe I can have a drink. But I'm not 30...yet. THat's next year.
From single ready to mingle to married with children in less than a year. And I always heard it was lesbians that moved fast.

From single ready to mingle to married with children in less than a year. And I always heard it was lesbians that moved fast.
You know...ya. It was fast. But, fuck. I actually love this idiot so freaking much it hurts. It's ridiculous how much you can love someone. And, ya....plus, the boys are like....just amazing too. Hahaha, i sound like a mess. I haven't even had a drank! Honest. Tomorrow we're getting our engagement rings engraved. :)

lol! fight me.

you are literally the worst

I love you too.

HylianTom

Banned
Speaking of keys:
only two jobs reports remain.

If the September jobs report is fine, the time for an economic downturn narrative is all but gone. If September's is fine and October's is middling or sad, we won't know if the October one is a fluke, or a sign of things to come.

Friday, October 7th will be a morning to watch. Not a big, dramatic moment, but a box to check - one less obstacle.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I used to believe in models like Alan Abramowitz's, and models like this new guy's with his 13 keys. But years of stock trading made me realize that you can create a trading algorithm that has 80% success over the past few months of data, and use it with great success for a while, but it will start failing sometime for reasons that are undiscernible. The underlying inputs to the algorithm (average volume, beta, correlation with the indexes) will begin to change and break the algorithm, and you have to make a new one. When I was trading I had to adjust my trading algorithms every few weeks to find a more optimal fit for the past 3 months worth of data.

The same will happen with models like the 13 keys. A model may make assumptions that will falter in time, like assuming there's a difficulty in holding the Presidency three times in a row, or holding it during a soft economy, all because of some reason like increasingly hardening partisanship.

The problem with models like these is that the don't have nearly enough inputs. We don't have a national election often enough for these models to be reliable. We haven't even had 100 elections in our history, you'd need at least that many in the modern era alone to make a precise model that isn't based on polling.

Polls are the best indicator because they directly measure what we're looking for.

We also have enough of them to create an accurate picture of what's going on.

Speaking of keys:
only two jobs reports remain.

If the September jobs report is fine, the time for an economic downturn narrative is all but gone. If September's is fine and October's is middling or sad, we won't know if the October one is a fluke, or a sign of things to come.

Friday, October 7th will be a morning to watch. Not a big, dramatic moment, but a box to check - one less obstacle.
Can't see it being super bad. If it was we'd know already.

CNN just reported that now Hillary won't go to Charlotte this Sunday. The mayor had asked that both candidates give the city some time.

More time for debate prep or maybe a viral video with David Blaine on how to make Trump disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom