• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

What level of pseudoscience? Tea leaves reading or Phrenology?

Even a first year phrenology student could tell this post is bunk

vcktk8n.jpg

Iolo

I had some bourbon during the first Obama-Romney debate and as a result, I thought Obama did ok. Imagine my surprise when I checked the Internet afterwards.

So I may not be drinking for the first debate.

Crayons

Banned
Last time I tried to dance fiance and I were at this country ass bar, and I tried to dance to a bud light commercial...and I challenged a 70 year old woman to a wet tshirt contest. ....

I only forgot I drank because I was predrinking.

That's so cute! I wanna see you drunk as hell, you sound fun.

I am soooo turnt atm rn tbh. I'm stoned and drunk as hell. If my mom wasn't still awake I'd be dancing like crazy

Crayons

Banned
I love you guys. I really love reading PoliGAF threads. It's like one of the only places I can talk about politics SERIOUSLY online.

Serious question, with the Trump base becoming more and more emboldened (deplorables) and solidified, how the fuck does the GOP fix themselves? I was thinking about the 2020 election and beyond, and I just don't understand how in the hell the GOP could possibly pick a candidate that's palatable to the general electorate. And then in 2024 we likely get a decent bench of candidates that can excite people, or at least not have people actively hating them for made up reasons. I actually just realized how bizarre it will be if the Dems pick a white dude as their candidate after Obama and Hillary.

People here talk about Hillary having already lost in 2020 but the GOP is a party where a potentially strong candidate like Nikki Haley can be disqualified just because there's a picture of her wearing a hijab (I think that's the right name, I'm not too familiar with this stuff). The war between the Trump coalition and moderates trying to save their party will be amazing to see. Cruz might as well have ended his own political career, Kasich betrayed the Trumpers, and Rubio is just a loser.

I also think people need to pay more attention to stories of young people (below voting age) in this election. We have an entire generation of people who associate Trump with racism and are seeing the GOP as the party of racism. That's the kind of stuff that won't show up for years.

I'm probably rambling but I had a long drive home and plenty of time to think. It's just crazy to think about how we're really in the middle of a full-blown culture war in this country.

tl;dr I think the Trump coalition has been baked into the GOP and they have no escape

Is Cruz genuinely better than Trump? It's a like a choice between a cunning malevolence and a putrid stupidity.

I would guess the implication is that Cruz was a high profile Never Trump Republican, so his stance was a cover for moderates to run under. "I'm not a RINO! Ted Cruz himself won't vote for Trump!" That sort of thing.

Cruz doing this is just going to get the Never Trump camp listed as RINOs now. He's sinking them, and the GOP won't realign now. Maybe that was his plan?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
God that Palmer status is filled with people praising him.

I really miss valleywag. I hate tech culture.

Most of the tech start-up community likes to get high off their own farts, from the founders to the investors to the fucking fans. The fucking stories I have from 6 months covering that shit in NYC, and apparently out there is way worse.

Makai

Lol dude just take the L and resign. I have little doubt the stuff about him more pretty much stealing the tech are true.
The tech in question is Doom 3, which the Oculus CTO made 10 years ago. So, the specific allegations are true but it's no big deal.

Zukkoyaki

Serious question, with the Trump base becoming more and more emboldened (deplorables) and solidified, how the fuck does the GOP fix themselves? I was thinking about the 2020 election and beyond, and I just don't understand how in the hell the GOP could possibly pick a candidate that's palatable to the general electorate. And then in 2024 we likely get a decent bench of candidates that can excite people, or at least not have people actively hating them for made up reasons. I actually just realized how bizarre it will be if the Dems pick a white dude as their candidate after Obama and Hillary.

People here talk about Hillary having already lost in 2020 but the GOP is a party where a potentially strong candidate like Nikki Haley can be disqualified just because there's a picture of her wearing a hijab (I think that's the right name, I'm not too familiar with this stuff). The war between the Trump coalition and moderates trying to save their party will be amazing to see. Cruz might as well have ended his own political career, Kasich betrayed the Trumpers, and Rubio is just a loser.

I also think people need to pay more attention to stories of young people (below voting age) in this election. We have an entire generation of people who associate Trump with racism and are seeing the GOP as the party of racism. That's the kind of stuff that won't show up for years.

I'm probably rambling but I had a long drive home and plenty of time to think. It's just crazy to think about how we're really in the middle of a full-blown culture war in this country.

tl;dr I think the Trump coalition has been baked into the GOP and they have no escape

I think the RNC is going to implement a super delegate system and restrict the primaries to fewer candidates next go around. That's all I think they can realistically do to prevent another Trump.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
These are sentences that will be posted in the debate thread, and what I'll probably think internally:

"Of course the debate starts with an email question. FUCK"

"Hillary still doesn't have a good answer to the email question. FUCK"

"Lester why aren't you fact checking? FUCK"

"Trump isn't shitting himself. FUCK"

"Frank Luntz called the debate a tie. F U C K"

LET'S MAKE NEOGAF DEBATE BINGO

White Nationalists and Christians who desperately hate Muslims and women now control the GOP primary process. It's a Trump party entirely.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really want a post-mortem on how the GOP went from 2016's "We need to outreach more and change our perception problem" to... Trump.

Oh that's easy, there's no postmortem needed for that. The electorate wasn't on the same page as the party leaders. The party leaders wanted to pivot more to the center and the electorate wanted more blatant racism and bigotry.

I'm not so sure they do. They might decide moderating on racism and bigotry is worth the win, but outside of Haley everyone else is tainted by Trump. They may just have to jettison the Trump coalition and hope they can rebuild without them.

Most of the tech start-up community likes to get high off their own farts, from the founders to the investors to the fucking fans. The fucking stories I have from 6 months covering that shit in NYC, and apparently out there is way worse.
It's not just start ups and the ideology pervades even GAF. It's this tech supremacy type thinking. The idea that this stuff is somehow enlightened and everybody else is luddites.

It's a randian philosophy with billions. It's also built on lies much of the time..

royalan

If the Democrats are smart, Republicans this year have given us enough ammo to render them unelectable for a generation at least.

But no more of this olive branch shit. Republicans never give an inch when they're in power so I don't understand why Democrats constantly do. Dems need to spend the next 2/4 years tying Republicans to Trump at every level of government. Shame the fuck out of them. They frankly deserve it.

In a topsy-turvy world where Dems elected a demagogue like Trump, you bet your ass Republicans would do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom