• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Out of curiosity when you say you do this for a living, do you mean you are one of the foremost DNS experts in the world with access to nearly 100% of the world's DNS traffic, or what

I mean internet shit and specifically DNS. I've met people named in that article. No one has access to anywhere near 100% of DNS traffic, it's too decentralized. What he had was access to the Trump server's ISP's DNS resolver logs, but that doesn't sound as cool.

The article itself points out that it's not a smoking gun. I think the most plausible alternative theory would be that both servers were compromised and part of the same botnet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My goodness, those quotes from Trump about Putin posted in the other thread. I mean, I can't even.

Real talk. this is a huge fucking deal.Don't know how much play it'll get but it's huge. This literally ties Trump to Russia.

Richard Burt, who helped Trump write the speech in which he first laid out his foreign policy, serves on Alfa's Senior Advisory Board.

Alfa is the Russian company that owns the server in Russia that had a direct line to Trump's campaign.

That Trump server/Russia thing is just incredibly frightening. Like, "Trump wins, leave the country" frightening.

He'd be impeached.

Trump's victory would be a Pence victory. The GOP isn't gonna want him leading the party. They have the votes to impeach and remove him (dems would even join in)

jiggle

Man
I went on vacation before 1st debate completely missed the polls panic
Took a weekend away and dodged humailgate too
Am I lucky or should I just stay home until hill is elected

So fucking sick of emails
Fuck 4 more years of emails emails benails emails ghazimails

Revolver

I'm glad Manafort is getting back in the news and at least getting another look from the media. I still can't believe that shady deal just slipped by.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wasn't it already known that Manafort was being investigated by the FBI like a week or two ago?

Wilsongt

it would be wonderful if, after the election is over and Trump finally gets his head out of his ass and concedes, that the Obama admin just drops a nuclear bomb all over him and charges his ass.

Grief.exe

it would be wonderful if, after the election is over and Trump finally gets his head out of his ass and concedes, that the Obama admin just drops a nuclear bomb all over him and charges his ass.

That would be doing the same thing Trump suggested during the second debate, which is a clear separation of powers.

They make us look at pictures of Michigan until we no longer feel the pain.

Repeat after me:

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

I mean internet shit and specifically DNS. I've met people named in that article. No one has access to anywhere near 100% of DNS traffic, it's too decentralized. What he had was access to the Trump server's ISP's DNS resolver logs, but that doesn't sound as cool.

The article itself points out that it's not a smoking gun. I think the most plausible alternative theory would be that both servers were compromised and part of the same botnet.

Lol. Ok, dude. Data from the server primarily went to and from the bank, and it was an email server. It also rejected incoming traffic from non-whitelisted IPs. But sure, it's part of a botnet. Sure.

This Russian/Trump story is falling into place. Starts with Reid, then the FBI leak, and now onto a full investigative journalist story.

It wasn't planned that way, obviously, but everything sort of came together at the right time to make this a thing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Conway said that Hillary was being "sneaky" by asking the FBI to release all the emails on Huma's laptop.

How does this woman's brain work?

I'm kind of regretting giving a friend of mine 538 as a way for him to track electorate polling and getting a better view of the chances of the election. I know, technically, Silver's data isn't wrong, but apparently it's moved five different times today upwards to Trump, and he's text me several times freaking out that'll be head-to-head soon. I've tried to show him other pollsters, even directed him to the article Silver wrote about how his model deliberately gives Trump a much higher chance than it most likely is, but he's hooked on, causing some real anxiety, and annoying the hell out of me about it.

Repeat after me:

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

tumblr_mtyde7SIrU1rk8jx0o1_500.gif

Some of it is garbage data, into a trash model.
Garbage in garbage. Garbage out. Trash bedwetting.
Also why would you direct him to awful articles.

Revolver

Any chance the media will actually pick up on the Russia story or are EMAILZ just too darn exciting?

NBC Nightly News and PBS mentioned the FBI looking into Manafort tonight and his ties to the Russian oligarchy. We'll see if it goes anywhere but Harry Reid at least seems to have thrown some gas on the fire.

The Trump-Russia thing Slate is publishing is also a big deal because it is hard proof. Before it was "maybe he did, maybe he did not but there is no evidence of it". Now we do.

Reid's letter mentioning the Trump-Russia thing is also a damn good coincidence. Unless it isn't.

Seriously. Very little decent polling to make up for all of the garbage (that 538 eats up without a second thought).

But... isn't that the point of 538? Throw all the polls on a pile, and out of all the noise and outliers you get a good average result that might actually reflect reality. We love to hate on 538 in here, which I find a bit petty.

Trouble

Banned
Lol. Ok, dude. Data from the server primarily went to and from the bank, and it was an email server. It also rejected incoming traffic from non-whitelisted IPs. But sure, it's part of a botnet. Sure.

Look, I really don't want to play devil's advocate here, but you have incorrect data and assumptions in your statement.

1. There's no evidence that a whitelist exists, only that it wouldn't accept email from them. It's possible it was never an actual functioning email server.

2. They have no info on data going between the servers, only DNS queries. That said yes they would be sending data to each other if they were in the same botnet.

But look, I am actually totally willing to believe that Trump had an email server that would only accept connections from a Russian bank's server in order to pass love notes back and forth to Putin simply because it's such an incredibly stupid scenario and Trump is ridiculous.

Iowa early vote is very encouraging. Democrats gained big today/over the weekend and are at 90% of ballots returned compared to 2012. Ballot requests they're at 88%.

And remember that Obama actually won Iowa fairly comfortably so Hillary has some breathing room here. The Quinnipiac poll suggests she's up by a decent amount with independents voting early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom