• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
His partners at the alt-right website “the Right Stuff” are touting plans to set up hidden cameras at polling places in Philadelphia and hand out liquor and marijuana in the city’s “ghetto” on Election Day to induce residents to stay home.

Free liquor/weed? I might have to make a pitstop!

Like seriously, how would that even work logistically.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
He's just adjusting for nonpartisan response bias leading to systemic polling error

No, quite the reverse. He is adjusting for systemic polling error leading to nonpartisan response bias. It's entirely different.

Ithil

Could this actually have an effect or am I just drenching my sheets again?

Not even remotely. They'll get about 20 people who actually sign up and turn up, then realize they don't have enough change between them to buy any decent amount of liquor.

Then they realize they forgot all day to actually vote for Trump while they were milling around hounding over change, and the polling stations have closed.

Could this actually have an effect or am I just drenching my sheets again?

What's more likely?:

1. Black folks accept weed and malt liquor from random white dudes, get trashed and don't vote

or

2. The idea pisses them off and people are resolved to show up to vote AND spite a band of shrimp-dick losers

Zukkoyaki

Can we go ahead and have a disclaimer for the upcoming Wisconsin poll that it's still just one poll and isn't the word of god regardless of what the numbers are? Also Marquette has swung people wildly the election and in 2012 (just so everyone knows!)

Boke1879

2-6 points? That's uh quite a spread

My take. At the absolute worst she's win by 2. The best is she wins by 6.

Definitely a spread but probably covering the bases. Probably why Clinton is spending money and visiting her "safe" states. Take nothing for granted.

NeoXChaos

Iowa Starting Line ‏@IAStartingLine 13h13 hours ago
Results from Iowa Youth Straw Poll taken at high schools. Next generation of Iowa voters sure don't like Democrats

CwNx8QUUkAAZlr7.jpg

Can we go ahead and have a disclaimer for the upcoming Wisconsin poll that it's still just one poll and isn't the word of god regardless of what the numbers are? Also Marquette has swung people wildly the election and in 2012 (just so everyone knows!)

whyamihere already did yesterday, and I agree. Even if this thing says Clinton +20, it's a single data point.

Iolo

but aren't straw polls objectively the most accurate type of poll, because they directly measure enthusiasm?

Yglesias preaching truth. The average American has no idea what the policy stakes are if Trump wins with a fully Republican congress. And the media is partly at fault for buying into his sensationalism and not pushing back on actual policy.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/2/13483020/policy-stakes-2016

We have to get Americans accustomed to a functioning gov't again before people start giving a shit about policies that don't directly effect their everyday lives.

The strategy of hobbling gov't, then running on, "See! gov't doesn't work!" has been an amazing success. We have nearly two generations of voters who have been bathed in Reagan-esqe philosophies of ripping the guts out of Democracy and telling the folks who fall behind its their fault for not boot-strappin' hard enough. It's literally taken a massive demographic shift to even begin to combat it, but Conservatives still have enough clout to continuously throw sand in the gears, while at the same time depressing the vote of people who are fighting back against them.

Yglesias preaching truth. The average American has no idea what the policy stakes are if Trump wins with a fully Republican congress. And the media is partly at fault for buying into his sensationalism and not pushing back on actual policy.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/2/13483020/policy-stakes-2016

A while back someone posted the increased revenue CNN saw due to Trump in this election cycle. Sensationalism and just focusing on juicy scandal headlines is not going to change any time soon.

Also, I was thinking about Trump's Super Pac investigation the Telegraph reported on last week. On video, soliciting money from a Chinese source, the kind of thing television networks would be all over. That shit is never going to get much coverage here because massive super pac scandals are going to push campaign financial reform and that means millions and millions of dollars lost in ad revenue for these networks.

BiggNife

I think I need to take a break from this thread for a few days because the constant up-and-down of the polls/EV is definitely raising my anxiety

See you guys in a few days probably

Emarv

I'm not as convinced on Iowa. I have more faith in Ohio, personally. (Though both are moving away long term)

I'm basically leaning on Mook's experience in Ohio to win out, but either way it'll be close. I could totally see Iowa going +2 Trump, but maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

Zukkoyaki

The weekend brought rumblings of dem surges at least in Ohio. I'm not sure Hillary is going to win either of them but I don't think they're lost.

Where is this confidence in Iowa coming from? I thought we gave up on Iowa over a month ago?

Early voting is catching up to 2012 I believe, and remember Obama won Iowa in a walk. D votes are about 10% percent behind 2012 right now. She ain't winning by anything close to six points but it is definitely not out of contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom