• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Heart

OG1pwi.png

For once I agree with Joe. You can't be this incredibly vague so close to the election. He needs to just spit out why they are doing this, no matter the reason. I suspect we'll just get radio silence though from here on out.

This average joe you are talking about doesnt even know the nuances of the Clinton email issues up until now, all they say is "BUT THE EMAILS, CORRUPT". That line of thinking already exists. This isn't going to hit her in the polls until there is actually some legitimate wrongdoing.

Unless it is very forcefully clarified, it looks like she under investigation again. People's opinions on the emails issue are baked in but they also thought she was not being investigated anymore. This would be a big change and not good.

The era of letting someone from the other party hold a major appointed post in government is over. This won't elect Trump, but what if it was close?

No, this is literally saying "fuck governing". All or nothing. That's literally incompatable with our system of government. FBI directors have always served through terms. Investigations come. Relax. Remember the beddwetting that she wouldn't even run?

The responses here are insane and trumpian

Clinton is going to win the presidency. The dems likely will win the senate

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
For once I agree with Joe. You can't be this incredibly vague come close to the election. He needs to just spit out why they are doing this, no matter the reason. I suspect we'll just get radio silence though from here on out.

It's amazing that Morning "How about them emails" Joe is even pointing out the questionable nature of this.

tuffy

All the other email server stuff has been a bunch of nothing thus far, so the Clinton camp should push for more information to be released rather than go after Comey for what looks like a partisan move so close to the election.

Diablos

You know what the media will hype this up but I'm not certain what effect it will have. Negative or Positive...
Negative. It's going to be all over the news. Anyone downplaying this is going to be surprised.

Markets don't crash like that for fun. This is a big deal.

So just the Director of a government organization, appointed by the sitting POTUS. I still don't think it's a good play.

This would be much better politicking.

I mean yes I'm not suggesting Clinton or her surrogates go out there and shout Comney is out to get me/her...

HylianTom

Banned
because the GOP is in full scale meltdown nationwide, losing the senate, in serious danger of losing the house and will pull anything to slow it down?

This won't do it, of course- "emails!" has been beaten to death so badly it's basically background noise to the average voter.

I'd lay money on this being a gamble to try to energize the base with the "hillary is a criminal" narrative again, because no one else cares.

Yeah, this doesn't shake me in the least. If anything, the hyperventilating that will come of it will just be annoying.

PInk Tape

Banned
It's not a stupid mistake; notice how it's making headlines even though there's nothing? The unknown sounds scary. It's a "clever" thing to use as an October Surprise when you don't actually have anything. This was a deliberately timed attack.

Hmm, yeah you're right.

thebloo

I mean yes I'm not suggesting Clinton or her surrogates go out there and shout Comney is out to get me/her...

Well, you weren't. But some were. The initial post was directed at those users.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=221907699#post221907699

Is it actually possible that wikileaks is going to release the emails? Should I be worried about this?

It's kimdotcom. If anybody had the emails they would have released the emails.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I expect this to be a big deal through the weekend, but I don't know that it has much in the way of legs without more information.

I could see it affecting her poll numbers a non-significant amount.

CNN is so immensely irresponsible it's not even funny.

"FBI REOPENS EMAIL INVESTIGATION"

They didn't fucking say that!!!

By any reasonable metric, its hard to say they are not re-opening the investigation if they are investigating things related to it. She is under investigation again to potentially be indicted. It is what it is.

Negative. It's going to be all over the news. Anyone downplaying this is going to be surprised.

Markets crash over nothing constantly. They're practically built to overreact, since most trades aren't done by people anymore, they're done by algorithms that are watching what the rest of the market does.

good news and bad news sends them into peaks and spikes, and then the market recovers the next day when "it's fucking nothing."

Capella

Still a fair amount of undecideds. News like this could have them break towards Trump.

That's the big worry, which is why this isn't nothing. In the end it may not make a big difference and Clinton could still win, but I don't think you want anymore news giving Trump and the GOP more ammo to attack her about the emails less than 2 weeks before the election. Unless there is something like the Trump Access Hollywood tape dropping soon, this will be a continuous story until election night, especially if we get more info about what the FBI is investigating.

Chill guys. It's Friday, no one pays attention to news on Friday and who knows what kind of idiotic headlines Trump will make over the weekend that bleed into Monday.

Also, in this case we have Wikileaks playing to our favor - they've been releasing non-news email stories every day for several months. Most people are sick of hearing about the damn emails and won't care to differentiate one story from another.

Also! This sort of thing may prompt someone to release the next Trump bombshell if another exists.

LOL, markets can be irrational because the people within the markets are irrational.

Some of you guys are sub-Nate Silver in terms of analysis during this election season, which maybe should be a bannable thing to say, but I had to say it.

Chill guys. It's Friday, no one pays attention to news on Friday and who knows what kind of idiotic headlines Trump will make over the weekend that bleed into Monday.

To be fair, the Access Hollywood tape dropped on a Friday. And made people stop caring about a hurricane hitting Florida, to boot!

MIMIC

Banned
Is it OK to discuss this email news in OT? I want to make sure PoliGAF hasn't already independently reviewed the information and denounced it as a nothingburger.

PBY

Banned
I expect this to be a big deal through the weekend, but I don't know that it has much in the way of legs without more information.

I could see it affecting her poll numbers a non-significant amount.
Uhhhh it's going to have legs considering we're 11 days away

Also, in this case we have Wikileaks playing to our favor - they've been releasing non-news email stories every day for several months. Most people are sick of hearing about the damn emails and won't care to differentiate one story from another.

Grab them by the pussy leaked late Friday afternoon

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is it OK to discuss this email news in OT? I want to make sure PoliGAF hasn't already independently reviewed the information and denounced it as a nothingburger.

Did you really just post this? Really?

Barzul

I disagree, this has the FBI behind it. People won't ignore this one but like I said I don't know how much of an effect it will have polling wise. We'll see in a few days.

Here's what worries me:

The one way that Trump has towards winning this election is depressed turnout on the Democratic side. That's it. The Hillary coalition is much bigger than the Trump coalition, but the Hillary coalition only is bigger if it shows up. And some of those members of the Hillary coalition aren't her biggest fans, but are voting for her because Trump is that bad.

The three times in which Trump's numbers got close to Clinton's were:

1. The first Comey press conference
2. The RNC (these two were sort of together)
3. Hillary almost dying

This speaks directly to the first time, where Comey did his press conference. I do think this is a big deal, though probably less of a big deal because 1. people are voting and 2. it's already sort of baked in.

However, that's not what frightens me. I do think Hillary will win, but depressed turnout on the Democratic side could hurt key Senate races. We can't afford people to be demoralized, and I feel like this does exactly that.

Gattsu25

Banned
FBI cannot assess whether this is significant/important.

SO WHY ANNOUNCE. Comey making a fool out of himself to appear impartial.

I imagine because he has to announce that the FBI has resumed their investigation into a presidential candidate.

I dunno, though.

LOL, markets can be irrational because the people within the markets are irrational.

Some of you guys are sub-Nate Silver in terms of analysis during this election season, which maybe should be a bannable thing to say, but I had to say it.

its usually the same handful of chicken littles though. hard to tell whether it's a bit, or these people are really THAT ridiculous IRL.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Uhhhh it's going to have legs considering we're 11 days away

I simply mean the kind of legs the Access Hollywood tape had. It's all a little vague. But yes, "Hillary is under investigation" is going to carry through for a while.

royalan

No, this is literally saying "fuck governing". All or nothing. That's literally incompatable with our system of government. FBI directors have always served through terms. Investigations come. Relax. Remember the beddwetting that she wouldn't even run?

The responses here are insane and trumpian

Clinton is going to win the presidency. The dems likely will win the senate

No.

"Fuck governing" is the head of what SHOULD BE a non-partisan federal body displaying that he is willing to play game for his party. Fuck that.

The handling of everything related to the Email investigation has been highly unusual and borderline unethical even if this weren't an election year involving a Clinton.

Fuck off, Comey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom