• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this talk any different than right wingers talking about the whitey tape? Yeah there was access hollywood but we don't even know if that was just the work of someone at NBC.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Could you guys stop using 538?

Use Pollster, Daily Kos Elections or PEC.

jfc

Yeah! We don't like the numbers coming out of 538. That must mean they're wrong or something. Pick the models that give Clinton the highest odds. That's how we know they're correct.

Makes absolute sense to wait to drop the oppo on the Friday before the election. It'll dominate the 24 hour news cycle, it'll be all anyone will be talking about over the weekend, and the opposition will really only have Monday to try and spin it. You think it was coincidence that the Access Hollywood tape dropped on a Friday? If there's any oppo left to drop, it's coming tomorrow.

It dropped on a Friday because the source gave it to NBC earlier in the week and was frustrated they didn't run it (because they were trying to cover their own tails). The source sent it to Washington Post and they cleared it and ran it within a few hours.

At least, that's the way I remember hearing it.

jtb

Banned
here is a legitimate criticism of fivethirtyeight: they're getting completely lapped in the data journalism department.

What's the latest counts in FLA and NV early voting?

Still positive news?

NV is ridiculously good news. I don't know why it's not more newsworthy that Trump is, barring some kind of miracle, a goner there before election day even starts.

FL is weird-turnout is super high BUT Republicans are flogging their voters to get to early voting this year with emphasis and vigor they haven't done before. This is because the state GOP and little marco's campaign aren't run by idiots, unlike Trump's ground game. So total EV totals are higher, but it's in some part due to more Republicans voting early that voted earlier on election day.

(Seeing this in NC as well)

That being said the real early voting story out of FL and NC is unaffiliated voters, which are through the roof and will decide both states.

How is this talk any different than right wingers talking about the whitey tape? Yeah there was access hollywood but we don't even know if that was just the work of someone at NBC.

Because Trump is a legitimately horrific person that likely has something else on him The only question is whether he was recorded or there is a lot of evidence for it.

That being said, someone shouldn't put there emotional well being on some mysterious oppo dropping and giving democrats the house.

Afrodium

Banned
The election is in 5 days. If someone is sitting on explosive oppo now is the time to use it. If it's something truly damaging his numbers won't magically shoot up on the 8th because the oppo was used one day too early.

Please someone release something now 538 is killing me

Shotterke

Quick question from an european. How should we view the early voters numbers? I'm having an argument on a different forum with some Trump/Bernie supporters and they say you have to ignore early voting results because a lot of people are not registered with the party they are going to vote for.

So does a 45/35 split mean that 35% off all the votes were for the GOP nominee or just that 35% of the voters were registered as a republican?

Haven't been following the elections since I casted my early vote a week ago, but what's going in here? Before it seemed like a Clinton victory but things have changed? I'm not getting any accurate impression from anywhere really. Should we be shitting ourselves?

Quick question from an european. How should we view the early voters numbers? I'm having an argument on a different forum with some Trump/Bernie supporters and they say you have to ignore early voting results because a lot of people are not registered with the party they are going to vote for.

So does a 45/35 split mean that 35% off all the votes were for the GOP nominee or just that 35% of the voters were registered as a republican?

In a lot of Southern states, you will find people who have registered as Democrats but haven't voted for one since Carter. Outside of the southern states (not counting Florida as southern), I think you will find that people registered to a party will typically vote for that party's nominee with a certain predictable level of dropoff. You can go beyond just party registration and look at other demographic factors too. Are the voters a minority? What is their age? What level of education or income do they have? And so on.

NBC Marist just dropped three state polls. They have Georgia a near tossup but Trump ahead in AZ, which seems to be the opposite of the Clinton campaign:

New NBC/WSJ/Marist poll of GA
Trump 45
Clinton 44
Johnson 8
(Stein not on ballot)

New NBC/WSJ/Marist poll of AZ
Trump 45
Clinton 40
Johnson 9
Stein 3

New NBC/WSJ/Marist poll of TX
Trump 49
Clinton 40
Johnson 6
Stein 2

(But it's Trump +4 among RVs)

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics

We "only" know demographics and party affiliations but we can make very educated extrapolations from them.

Haven't been following the elections since I casted my early vote a week ago, but what's going in here? Before it seemed like a Clinton victory but things have changed? I'm not getting any accurate impression from anywhere really. Should we be shitting ourselves?
No. Polls are tightening somewhat but early voting is strongly trending Hillary. Trump has virtually no reasonable paths to electoral victory. If you want to shit yourself, shit yourself about the Senate which is much more dicey.

Joeytj

Banned
NBC Marist just dropped three state polls. They have Georgia a new tossup but Trump ahead in AZ, which seems to be the opposite of the Clinton campaign:

New NBC/WSJ/Marist poll of GA
Trump 45
Clinton 44
Johnson 8
(Stein not on ballot)

New NBC/WSJ/Marist poll of AZ
Trump 45
Clinton 40
Johnson 9
Stein 3

New NBC/WSJ/Marist poll of TX
Trump 49
Clinton 40
Johnson 6
Stein 2

(But it's Trump +4 among RVs)

Consistent with other polls ignoring latinos. The fact that GA is that close means college-whites and AA are going big for Hillary. Hope Arizona goes our way!

Also, looks like third parties gained a bit following the Comey letter, but let's hope they go back to Hillary at the end of the day. The early voting in the West seems to point in that direction.

EDIT: Harry Enten is also noticing that registered unaffiliated voters are going to Clinton, according to both polls and early voting. Hopium levels going up.

@ForecasterEnten 28m28 minutes ago
What you'll notice about Magellan in CO, as @nate_cohn found in FL/NC/PA, is that Clinton wins REGISTERED unaffiliated voters. (1/?)

johnny956

I live in a college town in a county that is 100% going for Trump/Pence yet I've seen maybe one Trump sign in total. I imagine that the townies are worried that hooligan college students will tear them down (which probably actually happened, fwiw).

Instead some real-estate people (I assume it's them, I have no idea if that's the right term) have put down like 1000 Greitens signs in front of a strip mall near campus and an empty plot of land across from my apartment. It's really bizarre.

Now I'm trying to figure out what town in Missouri your talking about? Can't be Columbia because they lean democrat along with KC and St. Louis. Springfield or some smaller college town I'm not thinking about?

Edit: Rolla?

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, the PA/NH trip seems much more useful, to be honest.
I think, at this point, that almost all surrogate appearances should take place within states that have Senate races that are up-for-grabs. So while Georgia or Arizona might be fun to think about, winning those PA/NH Senate races would be so very consequential..

Now I'm trying to figure out what town in Missouri your talking about? Can't be Columbia because they lean democrat along with KC and St. Louis. Springfield or some smaller college town I'm not thinking about?

Edit: Rolla?

I go to Truman State. Well, for only like another month and half!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom