• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Social

Banned
Speaking for myself, I don't identify with Millennials in any way shape or form. I don't believe we share the same life experiences. I didn't grow up with easy access to computers, was lucky to play some Oregon Trail on my schools one Apple. I didn't grow up with the internet. I didn't grow up with social media. 9/11 defined my early adulthood. If I had to self identify with a generation, it'd have to be Gen X. Born 1984.

That makes you a part of the Organ Trail Generation.

Clinton is much more likely to accept incremental change than Obama did with the ACA.

If she doesn't see a path for comprehensive immigration reform, she'll salvage what she can, like getting DAPA and DACA into law, at the very least, and maybe a path to citizenship in a latter bill.

If Democrats don't control the house she won't be able to do much of anything.

If you don't think the GOP is going to quadruple down on obstruction knowing that democrats are going to lose seats in 2018, I don't know what else to tell you.

bplewis24

Neo Member
I would say "didn't pass the sniff test to those demographics" more than "loathe" but overall the point still stands.

Correct. It was much more about being uninformed/ignorant of who he was than loathing.

Speaking as a 77'er, I can say that I've always felt more gen-x. I feel the defining breakpoint for the two generations is that one graduated college without a lot of debt and was able to get jobs at the end of the Clinton era pretty easily.

Millennials graduated with much, much more student debt and had to really fight their way to get good jobs. It's those things that define the generations, in my opinion.

Good point. I'm a 78'er and while I could qualify as millenial by some definitions, the student debt thing seems like it started spiraling out of control maybe 5-7 years after I had already graduated.

How the fuck is she going to get that done without the House?

It depends on how things shake out after the election. Everything is still very fluid right now. The GOP may fracture with a Breitbart (Explicitly Fascist, Nationalist, Authoritarian, Bigoted) wing and a Delusional (We Pretend that "Principled Conservatism policy is different from the Breitbart party) wing. Or maybe they'll have another "autopsy" where they claim an outreach to Latinos is necessary. Either way, Democrats can leverage their need for new image branding by saying "immigration reform is your opportunity."

Not saying it will be easy or even likely, but if Dems are savvy enough, it can happen. Just be prepared for lots of concessions that can be aggravating to a progressive caucus (like the ACA was) even if they are ultimately supporting of it.

Joeytj

Banned
If Democrats don't control the house she won't be able to do much of anything.

If you don't think the GOP is going to quadruple down on obstruction knowing that democrats are going to lose seats in 2018, I don't know what else to tell you.

Well, yeah, I agree, but I'm assuming she manages to get something done haha.

I know this isn't the right answer, and probably won't be it for me, but this year just makes me want to stop paying attention to politics ever again and just move on.

KHarvey16

it's explained, sure - it's still not transparent. especially not in comparison to PEC, which flat-out has its MATLAB script (and statistical priors) publicly available.

What would you personally gain going from seeing and knowing what they're doing to being able to use their matlab script? I don't see why it has to be open source. Unless we're starting to argue they're lying I don't understand. You can already download spreadsheets with their poll data and the results of the model.

it's good, particularly in comparison to dean chambers! but it still, ironically, introduces bias into the equation in a way that no one else in the aggregation game does.

A model almost by definition cannot be unbiased. Adding numbers together and averaging barely qualifies as a model and isn't as useful. If you don't try and actively correct for consistent, predictable and easily identifiable biases in individuals polls you're not doing a good job.

Speaking as a 77'er, I can say that I've always felt more gen-x. I feel the defining breakpoint for the two generations is that one graduated college without a lot of debt and was able to get jobs at the end of the Clinton era pretty easily.

Millennials graduated with much, much more student debt and had to really fight their way to get good jobs. It's those things that define the generations, in my opinion.

I'm '77 too and the thing is, we weren't really considered Gen X when the term was coined (Doug Coupland's novel). The heart of Gen X graduated college into the Bush I recession when we were young teenagers, and had their ennui badly chronicled in, say, Reality Bites. We graduated into the dot-com boom. It's a half-step but a pretty clear one, culturally. We kind of got subsumed into Gen X as Millennials become a more clearly defined thing.

kevin1025

Banned
Chaffetz is an idiot.

But see, endorsing and voting aren't the same thing, see!

He broke my brain a little when he said he's essentially voting for a potential sex offender by framing it that he doesn't want a different potential sex offender back in office.

Let's say that the Supreme Court rules on a case, and that ruling leads to a non-partisan redistricting committee, as opposed to one party having control over redistricting. Will that make a huge dent in the GOP's control of the House?

3. Past success does not always match future success. Better to have more information and consider the wide range of viewpoints out there.

This point is a pet peeve of mine. Junk info is not only not helpful, but actively harms accuracy! See: Silver using a Google survey of 73 people for a DC poll awhile back. That poll is literally as useful as the Scholastic Kids' poll!

If I release 20 backyard polls that all have Clinton +40, you shouldn't include these! But I would bet that Silver would.

And I notice you aren't here beating the drum for RCP. Could it be that due to its poor input, you've decided to ignore it?

I know this isn't the right answer, and probably won't be it for me, but this year just makes me want to stop paying attention to politics ever again and just move on.

I would if I could, but I know how much this will effect us all whether I pay attention or not. That's the sad reality. This election has to be one of the ugliest demonstrations of democracy we have had in a long time.

Slacker

But see, endorsing and voting aren't the same thing, see!

He broke my brain a little when he said he's essentially voting for a potential sex offender by framing it that he doesn't want a different potential sex offender back in office.

Sad thing is he'll never be able to look his daughter in the face again. Not sure how he plans to manage that.

(One more thing: I've actually been consistent in the transparency critique of 538 all year long, this isn't just some random bugaboo I have now that the race seems to be tightening again.)

What would you personally gain going from seeing and knowing what they're doing to being able to use their matlab script?

Well, for one, I could begin to figure out if anything's objectively superfluous in that model vs PEC's using the statistical tools that are available to me.

A model almost by definition cannot be unbiased.

Neat! Knew that already! If it turns out that you're adding biases to your model, and that this isn't actually making the model any more accurate than a model that is not adding those biases, then you've just made your model worse.

Adding numbers together and averaging barely qualifies as a model and isn't as useful.

I mean, the only aggregation named on the last page to which this applies isn't actually a model, so.

If you don't try and actively correct for consistent, predictable and easily identifiable biases in individuals polls you're not doing a good job.

Wang and Linzer do not try and actively correct for bias in individual polls to nearly the degree that's found in the FiveThirtyEight models, yet they've consistently performed on par or beyond Silver's model in terms of accuracy.

Somehow, I don't think the adjustments are as important as they're touted to be.

OlbjxJK.png

good good

Let's say that the Supreme Court rules on a case, and that ruling leads to a non-partisan redistricting committee, as opposed to one party having control over redistricting. Will that make a huge dent in the GOP's control of the House?

Yes, but I can't see what constitutional basis the Supreme Court would have to take that authority away from state legislatures.

ooooooooh

‏@steveschale
Had this hunch that the GOP FL early vote numbers were a bit inflated by some old N. FL Dems who were Dem EV voters in 12, but switched 1/

@steveschale
Turns out almost 50k of GOP EV in 16 were Dem EV in 12. I'd be surprised if more than 1-2k of them had voted Dem since 1964 or 76. 2/2

EDIT: goddammit i'm sad again

Syncytia

Clinton is much more likely to accept incremental change than Obama did with the ACA.

If she doesn't see a path for comprehensive immigration reform, she'll salvage what she can, like getting DAPA and DACA into law, at the very least, and maybe a path to citizenship in a latter bill.

I don't see the GOP even thinking of going for DAPA and DACA. They already hate those.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
e: to be clear to both of you - i'm not saying we should discount 538.

For the record, on the post you did the FTFY-thing, I was responding to another poster who said we should discount 538.

PoliGAF is getting nervous about the undecided trend towards Trump and that's reflected in all the talk about the methodology of the aggregators and predictors. Even if PoliGAF doesn't want to admit that. My fear is that much of this talk about "outliers" and "clickbait" is really not that far removed from crazy Trump fans who talk about the media's skewed polls and who jump up in down all happy whenever there is some poll that shows a positive result for their preferred candidate. We all like information that confirms our previous biases. Conservatives, Liberals, and alt-right nutbags alike. This is a human failing. Not a right-wing failing.

Atlagev

Nah, I feel you. Back in '96, the first year I could vote for president, I voted for Dole. I think he would've made a fine president even still, and I'm not embarrassed to say that I voted for him. That's why his support of Trump is so baffling to me (although he hates Cruz).

To be honest, I was pretty much a moderate until relatively recently. Even in 2008, even though I very strongly supported Obama, I would've been OK with McCain. That is, until he picked Sarah Palin. That kind of changed everything. Her whole "palling around with terrorists" nonsense really, really, bothered me, and then the whole rise of the Tea Party after that... Well, it pretty much guaranteed that I'm never voting for another Republican, even for dog catcher, ever again.

And this year has just ratcheted that up to an even worse level. Just the most vile, obscene things coming out of the GOP, even when you exclude the stuff by Trump. It makes you cynical, and the hope for a sane, David Frum-type Republican seems so far, far away.

KHarvey16

Well, for one, I could begin to figure out if anything's objectively superfluous in that model vs PEC's using the statistical tools that are available to me.

How can you not do that using the explanation of their model? It seems like you believe not being able to identify these obvious flaws is due to not enough information and not simply a lack of obvious flaws.

Wang and Linzer do not try and actively correct for bias in individual polls to nearly the degree that's found in the FiveThirtyEight models, yet they've consistently performed on par or beyond Silver's model in terms of accuracy.

Somehow, I don't think the adjustments are as important as they're touted to be.

Like any model the results will tell the story. Hard to look at past elections and conclude the 538 model is out to lunch. Let's see where it ends up this time around and then look at the vote counts.

Isn't this a bad thing? Or am I misreading something?
It's good, it suggests GOP numbers are a bit inflated compared to 2012.

Like many in the South a lot of people who were still registered Democratic had been voting straight ticket Republican for years, so even if it made it look like more Rs were getting out and voting it wouldn't affect the bottom line much.

This is part of the 'Trump turned out new primary voters, not new presidential election voters' thing.

Very good sign, we're outperforming our outperforming.

TS-08

This is part of the 'Trump turned out new primary voters, not new presidential election voters' thing.

So these formerly registered democrats registered republican to vote in the primary, even though they have been voting republican in the general elections for years?

Edit - hopefully this post isn't coming across as snark (it kind of reads that way to me now). I'm genuinely asking as I want to make sure I understand those tweets.

Yeah Kinda confused.

its simple. We don't know HOW people vote (that's confidential) but we do know the party.

The south is notorious for having a lot of older voters that registered as democrats a long time ago in the 60s and 70s, but have been voting republican for years. West virginia is FILTHY with these.

50,000 of the early votes that the GOP has this year were registered as democrats last year. They had likely been registered democratic, but voting republican every year- switching this year to vote for Trump in the primary.

So there is no real net gain there for the GOP, those were just votes that looked like they were democratic every year but weren't.

So these formerly registered democrats registered republican to vote in the primary, even though they have been voting republican in the general elections for years?

Trump brought back the overwhelmingly blatant racism that the Dixiecrats were missing and that they really wanted to see in the general election.

kadotsu

Banned
RE Immigration reform. What is the most HRC can accomplish via executive orders? What happens if they are challenged by the split supreme court?

My Wednesday time off was approved so I can stay up to the wee hours of the morning watching history unfold.

It seemed pointless to take off Tuesday instead of Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom