• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTupolev

Tomorrow in Democrat Oppo Factory:

Podesta: "Dump the oppo, sooner is better than later."
Clinton: "Done, Trump oppo is dump."
Podesta: "Where is the oppo?"

Just got back from phone banking today. Today's efforts were more focused on getting more volunteers for a concerted GotV effort this weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday.

Still, went well, though majority of my calls went to voicemail. I did end up calling one guy who actually is voting Trump, which was amusing, though the guy was very nice (which, I admit, I hadn't expected). Rudest response were the people who hung up on me before I even finished speaking. Honestly, some people have no manners.

Felt good though, and I'm doing more on Sunday.

If you are in a swing state, you have to understand that the refusals aren't necessarily because they are voting for Trump, but are more likely just people who are sick of getting 3 million calls per day from pollsters and political organizations.

But that's assuming the conclusion that the 538 model is less accurate in this election. We'll understand much better in like 5 days.

No, we won't. That's the problem with these models. If the 538 model ends up 60-40 Clinton, but Clinton wins easily in a blowout like we thought 2 weeks ago when the model was 90-10, there will be no conclusive proof that the 538 model was wrong.

Nate Silver might post an article explaining why is model is wrong furthering to demonstrate he doesn't actually understand the math application he uses, but it won't mean anything.

If Nate's model shows it close but it ends up not close, it could be the model failed or it could be a result of systemic polling failure (in the opposite way) or something else. WE CAN'T KNOW BECAUSE IT WILL BE ONLY ONE DATA POINT!

That said, I'm fairly certain the 538 model is wrong. And not just in 2016 but also in 2012. But in 2012 it was lucky that its flaws couldn't be exposed.

I'm thinking about writing a long post tomorrow explaining why the 538 model is wrong now and has always been wrong and why it didn't seem wrong in 2012. If I feel like it, I will.

But for a quick preview, I'm going to say that a lot of it has to do with a lack of polling, a lack of good polling, and to much interrelationship (and also too many variables being used).

Speculation on what the oppo is, part 2:

The guy's bio: Veteran of three presidential campaigns, served on White House staff (Clinton). Now travel photographer. Tweeting from an art festival near you.

So they've got Trump on video with two prostitutes... are they trying to make him more popular? I hate to generalize, but let me just guess as to his base's response to this:

820.jpeg

The abortion thing is huge for the evangelical vote, but unless they have him on video bragging about it, there's too much plausible deniability and too little time before election day to prove it.

Anyway, I maintain none of it exists if we haven't seen it by now. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

BadRNG

Neither of those stories have anything to do with the USSR.

I'll believe any of this shit when we get something. If it exists drop it.
The prostitute one could link to the Russian honeypot angle, if they are the ones that took the tape, but yeah neither go with Rick Wilson's claim the oppo is jail/exile worthy.

The @noclador guy talking about Russian story has been going on past couple hours; been listing business ties Trump had to Russians as well as repeating the story about the Alfabank shadyness that Slate reported on.

All this still comes down to ironclad proof or it won't stick. If it's just some women coming forward claiming they were paid to sleep with him or have abortions, it probably won't do much.

KHarvey16

No, we won't. That's the problem with these models. If the 538 model ends up 60-40 Clinton, but Clinton wins easily in a blowout like we thought 2 weeks ago when the model was 90-10, there will be no conclusive proof that the 538 model was wrong.

Nate Silver might post an article explaining why is model is wrong furthering to demonstrate he doesn't actually understand the math application he uses, but it won't mean anything.

If Nate's model shows it close but it ends up not close, it could be the model failed or it could be a result of systemic polling failure (in the opposite way) or something else. WE CAN'T KNOW BECAUSE IT WILL BE ONLY ONE DATA POINT!

That said, I'm fairly certain the 538 model is wrong. And not just in 2016 but also in 2012. But in 2012 it was lucky that its flaws couldn't be exposed.

I'm thinking about writing a long post tomorrow explaining why the 538 model is wrong now and has always been wrong and why it didn't seem wrong in 2012. If I feel like it, I will.

But for a quick preview, I'm going to say that a lot of it has to do with a lack of polling, a lack of good polling, and to much interrelationship (and also too many variables being used).

We can certainly compare state by state. The national number is too vague to be useful but 50 individual results are a good dataset. It won't tell us everything conclusively but it should be obvious if their are systemic, fundamental flaws with that level of data.

Neither of those stories have anything to do with the USSR.

I'll believe any of this shit when we get something. If it exists drop it.
Well it does. The Soviet link is that they have Kompromat on Trump, which could be him with 2 prostitutes/secret orgy tape.

"He's not like that any more."

--Every republican voter
Yeah the abortion stuff, while deplorable, wont move the needle. It fits into everyone's views of Trump. The Soviet story is a bombshell if true.

That's always kinda been a thing for first timers.

Spent almost 20 years as an Indy, because I could vote in either Primary in CO. When I moved back to FL I never bothered because of the calls, mailers and emails you get as a partisan in such a swingy state.

That'll change after this election because I want the FL GOP to know that they're so fucked up that they've overcome my tendency to be left alone with their absolute fuckery.

Retro

Oh hey, an abortion tape

Let's test how righteous the religious right is

My thoughts exactly. This is much more damning to Trump than any "N-Word" soundbite; he's already losing African Americans by record numbers and I can't imagine there's many white folks left who haven't made peace with his blatant racism. But this? This would strike straight into the heart of the evangelicals.

The problem is, that heart is already so corrupted that I can't see this having any effect. They've been so willing to look the other way on so much morally objectionable behavior like his multiple marriages (remember that it was the sheer audacity of Nelson Rockefeller to get divorced and remarried that caused the huge rift that lead to religious right goons like Schlafly backing Barry Goldwater) that I can't imagine even this would turn them. They're so committed that to seizing power that they don't care how much they have to ignore or how two-faced it makes them look.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still laugh when I hear people say, "We need real proof or it won't do anything!!!"

Have you met the average American voter? Have you seen what these people pass around on Facebook?

The problem is, that heart is already so corrupted that I can't see this having any effect. They've been so willing to look the other way on so much morally objectionable behavior like his multiple marriages (remember that it was the sheer audacity of Nelson Rockefeller to get divorced and remarried that caused the huge rift that lead to religious right goons like Schlafly backing Barry Goldwater) that I can't imagine even this would turn them. They're so committed that to seizing power that they don't care how much they have to ignore or how two-faced it makes them look.

I share these thoughts. Even if both are true, and both drop tomorrow, I don't see it moving the needle. Not unless the prostitutes were under age, and even then the base will hand-waive it. Not unless they are like 12, which actually might be in his wheelhouse.

kirblar

If it is a real dump, it makes sense to save this until just before the election. They're trying to get GOP voters to stay home, and every time they give Trump time, his numbers recover like a troll regenerating.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I share these thoughts. Even if both are true, and both drop tomorrow, I don't see it moving the needle. Not unless the prostitutes were under age, and even then the base will hand-waive it. Not unless they are like 12, which actually might be in his wheelhouse.

It's about turnout suppression not changing minds.

It's also not real.

It's out tommorow afternoon or it doesn't exist.

PBY

Banned
If it is a real dump, it makes sense to save this until just before the election. They're trying to get GOP voters to stay home, and every time they give Trump time, his numbers recover like a troll regenerating.
No it doesn't. We're 4 days out and people are voting already.

They don't have anything. I really think all the oppo talk is just false hope.

Snaku

Banned
Speculation on what the oppo is, part 2:

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated

The guy's bio: Veteran of three presidential campaigns, served on White House staff (Clinton). Now travel photographer. Tweeting from an art festival near you.

If true, that second oppo will decimate GOP turn out. Completely spits in the face of everything the religious right has stood for since Reagan. There's literally no spinning that, and any Republican that maintains their support for him is toast.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I still laugh when I hear people say, "We need real proof or it won't do anything!!!"

Have you met the average American voter? Have you seen what these people pass around on Facebook?

I think there's a difference though between the left* and the right. We won't run with something we can't prove and fill the internet with dank Trump attack memes.

*-I know that the far left isn't above it.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but the ABC-WAPo tracker poll has the while electorate at 75%, non-white 25%.

Fairly certain this is wrong. Even the CPS would have it at 74%, probably 72-73% was the truth in 2012.

You'd imagine it would drop this year with the amount of latinos coming in.

Bowdz

I think in the context of this election and in the context of what actually moves votes or suppresses turnout, the moderate GOP that is coming home needs to see something ironclad or they will equivocate.

Again, it makes zero sense to drop Oppo this late after millions of early votes have already been cast. Every day is another lost batch of early voters you could have converted.

The only way it makes sense is if it was newly discovered. But if that was true there wouldn't have been weeks/months of teasing about it. The "couldn't corroborate" argument sounds like a perfect excuse to backtrack after nothing comes out of completely unjustified speculation/teasing.

"Trust me guys, the oppo was real, it's just my super secret sources from Canada were too scared to go on the record."

We can certainly compare state by state. The national number is too vague to be useful but 50 individual results are a good dataset. It won't tell us everything conclusively but it should be obvious if their are systemic, fundamental flaws with that level of data.

It still won't. There will not be enough data points. You'd need to look at 100 general elections with the model, not 2 or 3.

The individual states won't be enough because his model does not allow each state to be an independent data point.

And again, Nate's model might say 60-40 Clinton, but it also gives a percentage on the likelihood of a Clinton blowout. Maybe it's only 10% but we would have absolutely no way of knowing if the blowout, should it happen, simply fell in that 10% or was the result of a bad model.

It's about turnout suppression not changing minds.

It's also not real.

It's out tommorow afternoon or it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure it would even suppress the vote all that much. They've made excuses for absolutely everything he's done to this point, why stop now?

I used to be pretty conservative. I still remember some of these justifications.

Kaiterra

Banned
Again, it makes zero sense to drop Oppo this late after millions of early votes have already been cast. Every day is another lost batch of early voters you could have converted.

This is what I think too but maybe the argument could be made that early voters would be the most enthusiastic and resistant to change in the first place, plus already have a Democraft lean on top of that.

thebloo

While I believe that something will drop tomorrow, I just don't care anymore. I'm ready for this to be over. And early voting shows that everyone is.

7-9 points win and we dance.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom