• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Correct. It was much more about being uninformed/ignorant of who he was than loathing.

Ok I'm not sure if you meant it that way and my apologies if you didn't but are you really bringing back the "minorities just didn't know him" nonsense from the primaries? If so, do people still not understand how insulting that is? Why were allegedly white people able to figure him out and no one else? We had as much information about him as any other primary voter. At the end of the day, his language/rhetoric, policy positions and surrogate operation just didn't appeal to most minorities. That's the bottom line.

Like, 538 is still currently predicting a Clinton win with the highest single chance of ~330 EVs, but I suppose it's fun(?) to argue about the relative probabilities of a single future event that is really either 100% or 0% depending on how pre-deterministic you feel

How can you not do that using the explanation of their model? It seems like you believe not being able to identify these obvious flaws is due to not enough information and not simply a lack of obvious flaws.

More to my point, I don't know if the model's flaws could be correctable. Having the math laid out in front of me in plaintext might help that! (Of course the flaws might not be obvious - that's the point of conducting an [independent] analysis.)

Like any model the results will tell the story. Hard to look at past elections and conclude the 538 model is out to lunch. Let's see where it ends up this time around and then look at the vote counts.

Yeah, at the end of the day, we'll just have to wait and see - though it'd be nice if I could suss out whether some of the things in the cake are or aren't adding much.

Like, 538 is still currently predicting a Clinton win with the highest single chance of ~330 EVs, but I suppose it's fun(?) to argue about the relative probabilities of a single future event that is really either 100% or 0% depending on how pre-deterministic you feel

Depends on how strong you want your drink to be at the error bar, eh? Eh?

Why does it never feel like comments like these are addressing the actual content of posts made in these threads?

Jeremy Corbyn is a terrible politician.

CwWDsGhWQAAu9CJ.jpg

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/11/03/voting-intention-conservatives-41-labour-27/

Goddamn it I come in here for Oppo worship and mindless panic and now you remind me that my country is the fucked one. Not cool bruh.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And I notice you aren't here beating the drum for RCP. Could it be that due to its poor input, you've decided to ignore it?

I'm not beating the drum for anybody. I'm not even beating the drum for 538. I am not ignoring RCP. But this is kind of a sidetrack because 538 and RCP aren't even trying to do the same thing. 538 is a prediction model and RCP reflects the current mood of the electorate.

So these formerly registered democrats registered republican to vote in the primary, even though they have been voting republican in the general elections for years?

Edit - hopefully this post isn't coming across as snark (it kind of reads that way to me now). I'm genuinely asking as I want to make sure I understand those tweets.

There are a lot of people especially in the south who were Democrats only because there family were Democrats. Needless to say party identity has shifted quite a bit. It's why west Virginia Democrats are so conservative.

TyrantII

I think AZ senate could end up closer than expected but Kirkpatrick win is still a long shot.

She needs to push for it... depending on Senate/House results though it might not be easy to pull it off. GOP is already prepared for 100% obstruction and they will hold House.

If the numbers show Latino shifts accelerating in Arizona, Florida, Texas, and North Carolina; the GOP Reps in those states in a lot of districts will be forced to play ball.

They need those votes to stay in power, and its only going to become a bigger issue every cycle they wait.

I can see them breaking ranks.

Syncytia

The election might turn out to be the only good thing about working nights right now.

I can take Tuesday off, get in on plenty of afternoon TV shenanigans, stay up to 3-4 am MST since that's when I'm up to anyway.

So these formerly registered democrats registered republican to vote in the primary, even though they have been voting republican in the general elections for years?

Edit - hopefully this post isn't coming across as snark (it kind of reads that way to me now). I'm genuinely asking as I want to make sure I understand those tweets.

The south was a Democratic stronghold for generations. When voting patterns shifted and those states trended Republican, many voters never bothered to change their party registrations. A lot of them changed party registration this year so they could vote in the Republican primary.
In fairness, that comment is actually addressing my posts to some degree.
Maybe I was unfair there, I'm just a bit tired of complaints that Poligaf hates anything that says things they don't want to hear.

User1608

Banned
My Wednesday time off was approved so I can stay up to the wee hours of the morning watching history unfold.

It seemed pointless to take off Tuesday instead of Wednesday.
Nice, I'll share too. At the risk of tempting fate, while I'm very confident in Hillary winning, I managed to get Tuesday and Wednesday off next week. Gonna use Wednes. to celebrate should she do so!

TS-08

There are a lot of people especially in the south who were Democrats only because there family were Democrats. Needless to say party identity has shifted quite a bit. It's why west Virginia Democrats are so conservative.

Right, and I understand that. Just wanted to make sure I understood what is the reason behind the switch. It seems like it would be motivation to ensure a Trump win in the primary, as I assume Florida requires you to register for the party whose primary you are going to vote in. But we are assuming these voters would have voted for him in the general anyway, not that they are "true" Democrats who have decided to vote for Trump.

I'm not beating the drum for anybody. I'm not even beating the drum for 538. I am not ignoring RCP. But this is kind of a sidetrack because 538 and RCP aren't even trying to do the same thing. 538 is a prediction model and RCP reflects the current mood of the electorate.

RCP reflects the current mood of RCP, if anything.

Couldn't the party affiliation switching in NC and FL be from people switching to vote in the GOP primary?

I mean, it was obvious who was going to win the Dem primary, so it would have been a wasted primary vote.

KHarvey16

Neat! Knew that already! If it turns out that you're adding biases to your model, and that this isn't actually making the model any more accurate than a model that is not adding those biases, then you've just made your model worse.

But that's assuming the conclusion that the 538 model is less accurate in this election. We'll understand much better in like 5 days.

Joeytj

Banned
Fiuf, those FL early voting from former D's turned GOP brought my stress down ahead of my wisdom tooth removal right now.

Shit is going to leave me out for the entire rest of the day, so see you tomorrow guys!

Oppo Day!

Couldn't the party affiliation switching in NC and FL be from people switching to vote in the GOP primary?

I mean, it was obvious who was going to win the Dem primary, so it would have been a wasted primary vote.

Ohio may be the bigger instance of this as a number of Dems changed registration to vote Kasich.

Speculation on what the oppo is, part 2:

Claude Taylor ‏@TrueFactsStated 5h5 hours ago South Carolina, USA
1. Many of you have heard of a bombshell coming out about Trump. A source who I know & trust has informed me of TWO such bombshells.

2. My understanding is that the media knows about both of these and has been seeking to corroborate them before going with the story.

3. The first bombshell is that US and British Intel have a video of Trump with two prostitutes. Both US and British media have this story.

4. The second allegation is that Trump has paid for up to a dozen abortions for various women.

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated

The guy's bio: Veteran of three presidential campaigns, served on White House staff (Clinton). Now travel photographer. Tweeting from an art festival near you.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The uptick in GOP EV isn't new Rs, it's Ds who have (mostly) always voted GOP. If I'm reading that right.

He basically got a lot of D's who have voted R for the last 3 decades to switch their registration to vote for him in the primary.

yes, that's exactly it.

The parties actually used to be in opposite positions. the republican party was the progressive, abolitionist movement, the democratic party was full of racist southerners who would NEVER EVER vote republican because of lincoln and the civil war.

The realignment around the civil rights act of 1964 changed this. northern democrats and republicans largely backed that bill, southern democrats and republicans opposed it. (this is an oversimplification, but go with it).

"southern democrat" politicians split briefly into their own (extremely racist) party, then eventually joined with southern republicans to make a "new" highly racist republican party.

This all took place at the elected official level, mostly. It took the rank and file a little while longer to catch on- so there were for decades after that STILL a lot of southern "democrats" who were still registered as such, but voted reliably republican every year. Since most people don't vote in primaries, there's no real need to go through the trouble to change that registration- unless there is a competitive primary race which doesn't happen all that often.

NC is semi-open.

I doubt there was a significant amount of D switching to disrupt the FL vote.

Wiz

Listening to Obama's speech from earlier today.

He makes a better case for her than anyone else can. Including Hillary. Where else is he going for the next few days?

Kusagari

Neither of those stories have anything to do with the USSR.

I'll believe any of this shit when we get something. If it exists drop it.

Holmes

No, it means a lot of that Republican early vote are voters that voted Republican but showed up as Democratic turnout in past elections.
In other words, the Democrats that are showing up to vote are more reliable Clinton votes vs. years prior where they were Republican-voting Dixiecrats.

Fiuf, those FL early voting from former D's turned GOP brought my stress down ahead of my wisdom tooth removal right now.

Shit is going to leave me out for the entire rest of the day, so see you tomorrow guys!

Oppo Day!

Wisdom teeth removal isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I had two removed at the same time over the summer. I was a bit sore, but no pain.
At the end of November I go in for jaw surgery. BSSO and Lefort 1. I do not look forward to eating through a straw.

Enjoy the Vicodin.

This seems like rumor mill stuff. I mean, based on internet conjecture I knew these two rumors are out there.

If they are real and they drop then so be it.

if those are accurate I can see how media might be reluctant to release either without a LOT of ironclad evidence.

It's good, it suggests GOP numbers are a bit inflated compared to 2012.

Like many in the South a lot of people who were still registered Democratic had been voting straight ticket Republican for years, so even if it made it look like more Rs were getting out and voting it wouldn't affect the bottom line much.

Peeps sometimes don't realize FL had closed primaries, so NPA can't vote in either GOP/DEM and only registered GOP/DEM can vote in their respective primaries.

Makes sense that a hotly contested primary would cause them to re-register accordingly.

StoOgE

NC is semi-open.

I doubt there was a significant amount of D switching to disrupt the FL vote.

Not to disrupt, but to back Trump because these were *always* Trump voters who were registered D because of the old guard of racist southern democrats.

They never changed their party affiliation, but have been voting Republican for decades. Then Trump gave them a reason to change their registration

Wisdom teeth removal isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I had two removed at the same time over the summer. I was a bit sore, but no pain.
At the end of November I go in for jaw surgery. BSSO and Lefort 1. I do not look forward to eating through a straw.

Enjoy the Vicodin.

You say this as someone who has clearly never gotten dry socket.

Not to disrupt, but to back Trump because these were *always* Trump voters who were registered D because of the old guard of racist southern democrats.

They never changed their party affiliation, but have been voting Republican for decades. Then Trump gave them a reason to change their registration

Right. Did you see what I replied to? He was referring to Ds switching to influence the GOP vote.

StoOgE

if those are accurate I can see how media might be reluctant to release either without a LOT of ironclad evidence.

The NY Rags would have dropped it already. Or the British ones.

Look, we all want to dropping the oppo. Andd tommorow is the day it happens or not. But I don't see how this is true.

I mean, it's probably things he has done before. But I doubt this is out there.

Am i wrong in being extremely skeptical that multiple news agencies would sit on a huge story about a presidential nominee because they want to make sure its legit?

I mean this is the kind of story that gets you in a shitton of trouble if it's not airtight; but it does sound like a Democratic fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom