• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
CxL_cw0UcAEQlvs.jpg

How utterly apropos.

akinkcl

Neo Member
Winning Florida, NC, Georgia and Arizona would put her well over 270.

Florida and NC are well within reach (and together + 2016 map are the win). Arizona could be with a better candidate. Georgia will take a little longer.

If Trump can flip Ohio and Iowa 10+ points since 2012, there's no reason we can't flip Arizona, NC, Georgia, maybe even Texas by that much with the right candidate.

Even if you do that at the Presidential level, you still need them at the state level

Okay, my man Lindsay Graham has just cum buckets over the thought of Bolton as SoS so we would need Jeff Flake, Rand Paul, and one other Republican plus all Dems to block Bolton for SoS.

... I don't know if we can get that last Republican or if we can stop Dem deflections from more hawkish people.

Kid Heart

Politically?
Sure.
But hating on Broad City is against the TOS and will get you banned.

This happens after every losing campaign, people looking for someone to blame.
By the way what you are doing is also normal as is what I'm doing.

Trump's election is crazy, but what's going right now in the DNC and liberals is really par for the course.

It's fine, get it out of your system man, and fuck, if you feel like kicking people while their down through some snark at Clinton supporters if you must, I know it will make you feel better (not being sarcastic here, I know it does, and I'm not above such things, especially when shit goes *really* bad, though luckily I have an outlet in sports so I can always direct my frustrations toward FUCK YOU PATS, FUCK YOU BRADY, FUCK YOU KRAFT, FUCK YOU BELICHICK, TWICE).

Moreover, I'm fucking certain liberals will close rank come 2020, it's way easier to come together when you're the opposition party. It's not my first shit-rodeo.

Just, you know, try not to ruin friendships or make lasting enemies, and try to finish this phase as soon as possible, because shit will start coming down the pipe that will require unified effort to fight.

The holidays will probably help calm people down somewhat. God knows the U.S. needs some Christmas spirit right about now.

Despite the turmoil I feel at least this thread has thrown around some pretty good ideas on what to do next time.

1. Make sure none of the Democratic party's voting bases are taken for granted.
2. Make sure the candidate is as clean as can be (for a politician at least), and any controversy has to at least have an easily digestible answer.
3. Charisma is key and like it or not can trump experience. (No pun intended)
4. Never provide more of the same no matter how well things are going. Improvement is mandatory.

Still though, midterms are what I'm most worried about at the moment and are far more pressing then the next GE. Maybe at least this election will give the party a swift kick in the rear to focus more on state legislatures and congressional seats.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
The thing that really kills me is much better the economy is doing, this is so fucking depressing.

laura Ingram in the running for press secretary...fuck me

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Literally no one saw it coming. She basically hit the zenith of Democratic turnout, they found literally every vote and got each one of them to the polls.

I have a feeling both parties are going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell happened in Florida because no one seems to understand it at all. The GOP will want to know how to replicate it and the Dems will want to know how to prevent it. I have a feeling this is the end of Florida as a swing state, if one side can crack the code and the other can't then it's theirs.
I wouldn't count out Florida just yet: wait until they're done counting the votes. Even though Obama won Florida twice, the state leaned more Republican than the rest of the country both times. We'll have to see how it compares to the final national margin.

The thing that really kills me is much better the economy is doing, this is so fucking depressing.

laura Ingram in the running for press secretary...fuck me

It's like we're living in a nightmare. Worst things you could think of, they're happening. All the while infighting breaking out inside democratic party.

This is the worstest timeline.

tuffy

That'll change once the GOP's usual "give rich people a bunch of tax breaks and maybe they'll employ poor people to build yachts" policies kick in. Then the Democrats can run on a platform whose central premise is fixing the economy - again.

Totakeke

Part of me hopes that they're actually playing politics and they're putting forward the worst names possible to freak everyone out. Anyone else they actually put in place would seem like a reasonable choice.

But Bannon got in sooo.....

Russia was stupid to want Trump as all of Trump's idiot picks will cause chaos to their best friends Syria and Iran. Putin's idea will backfire when Pence orders Russian planes shot down in Syria.

That'll change once the GOP's usual "give rich people a bunch of tax breaks and maybe they'll employ poor people to build yachts" policies kick in. Then the Democrats can run on a platform whose central premise is fixing the economy - again.

For like the 5th time in the past hundred years...

Maybe it'd be a good idea to actually run on fixing the economy (again)? Like, point out how this keeps happening.

Russia was stupid to want Trump as all of Trump's idiot picks will cause chaos to their best friends Syria and Iran.

Putin is a dumbfuck who does things that look so smart for five seconds and then immediately blow up his face.

Hopefully Kamala Harris won't have to go up against the KGB in 2020 and that the KGB will be focused on hacking Trump for revenge for regime change in Iran.

Looking over the New England results, there seems to be a STRIKING schism in white Catholics on Irish and Italian ethnicities.

Italian Americans seemed to have swung significantly to Trump (see: Rhode Island, parts of the map in Connecticut) while Irish American might have gone more for Clinton (see: Massachusetts, parts of the map in Connecticut).

REALLY fascinating.

Even after this election, people never learn :/

This is as depressing as the election results. Democrats need every vote we can get and when you people throw it away by throwing a tantrum, I'ts so fucking sad sad. Especially for us brown folks who bear the brunt of the next few years,

Meanwhile the other side just votes. And picks up more of everything.

(I'm so sorry but we are fucked)

I dont think Comrade Trump will bomb Iran as Russia and Iran are close partners on many things. Bolton is a reprehensible, repulsive bigot. He's going to ruin whatever fabric that holds middle-east together though.

Which will make it even sweeter when Trump and Bolton butt heads on the issue and watching Bolton squirm.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Looking over the New England results, there seems to be a STRIKING schism in white Catholics on Irish and Italian ethnicities.

Italian Americans seemed to have swung significantly to Trump (see: Rhode Island, parts of the map in Connecticut) while Irish American might have more for Clinton (see: Massachusetts, parts of the map in Connecticut).

REALLY fascinating.

It's likely due to what each group values as a culture. I'd love a deep dive of it, trying to get at the root as to why this is.

The stock market doing well does not mean the economy is doing well.

Please read this post everyone.

Also please realize: the only reason the market hasn't crashed yet is that traders are going to get away with murder for the next 4 years, which means between 4 + 8 the market will probably tank.

Mark this post.

I know this isn't exactly what is being discussed, but my company's stock rose like 30% after Trump got elected. I was in disbelief.

Edit: No, my company isn't an arms manufacturer.

Are they are a bank or insurance company or fossil fuel company?

Lots of sweet regulation rollbacks are coming to many places.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Please read this post everyone.

Also please realize: the only reason the market hasn't crashed yet is that traders are going to get away with murder for the next 4 years, which means between 4 + 8 the market will probably tank.

Mark this post.

Again, Unemployment is below 5% and wages are up, aswell as the stock market and 401ks. What other metric are you using to say the economy is not doing better, especially vs the rest of the world.

studyguy

I'm black. Not afraid of Bannon. Will never buy into that fear. Sorry folks.

At the very worst, Bannon set on a position of power he clearly doesn't belong in is problematic for a number of people. You don't somehow get to push white nationalist ideals and get a pass. If not worry the deep scrutiny is at the very minimum to be had of his choices going forward. Bannon could do shit all, Bannon could be tremendously awful, but I don't see Bannon being an asset to anyone but Trump's own personal interests outside of his presidential demands.

dramatis

I'm not unifying behind people that just cost us the most critical fucking election in a generation by forcing a candidate on us that everyone thought was safe but nobody actually liked. We unified behind your shit candidate and we're paying the price now. Never again.

Own the embarrassing rhetoric that was spewed on this forum and that'll be a start towards reconciliation.
That candidate wasn't forced on you, she was legitimately voted to be the party candidate, and it's about time you accepted that, because it's been five months.

As someone who was made fun of on poligaf for donating to the sanders campaign a few days before they conceded the nomination, until it's certain that Bernie would have done better against trump, the aggression to the hillary folks is unnecessary
It's never going to be certain that Sanders would have won, that's alternate timeline stuff.

can we still hate "yaaaaas queen"?
You can't. Because it originated from Broad City, and also because it's actually a phrase somewhat from the gay community. (Consult them)

I didn't hear you hating on "feel the bern".

I have a feeling both parties are going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell happened in Florida because no one seems to understand it at all. The GOP will want to know how to replicate it and the Dems will want to know how to prevent it. I have a feeling this is the end of Florida as a swing state, if one side can crack the code and the other can't then it's theirs.
There's an easy but terrible solution to Florida, which is to move more Puerto Ricans into FL in the next 4 years.

But that's not good for the Puerto Ricans. I heard they were looking for better economic climate when moving to Florida but it's not going so well down there.

Italian Americans seemed to have swung significantly to Trump (see: Rhode Island, parts of the map in Connecticut) while Irish American might have gone more for Clinton (see: Massachusetts, parts of the map in Connecticut).

REALLY fascinating.
As an Irish-Italian American, I finally know which part of my heritage to identify with now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom