• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

I'm not to worried about FL in the future as a swing state. Trump best areas in the state almost got neutralized by hilary's best areas.If hilary's PV margin nationally was 1 to 2 percent she would have won the state.

chadskin

@juliannagoldman:
.@realDonaldTrump team has asked @WhiteHouse how his children could receive top secret security clearances - details on @CBSEveningNews

Secretary of Education Ivanka Trump? Secretary of Cyber Defense Barron Trump?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
@juliannagoldman:
.@realDonaldTrump team has asked @WhiteHouse how his children could receive top secret security clearances - details on @CBSEveningNews

Remember everyone, it was the Clinton dynasty we needed to be afraid of.

There is going to be so much intermingling of business and government. It's the Trump way, he's going to bilk the country out of so much money.

Totakeke

@juliannagoldman:

Still can't believe this isn't scrutinized more along with the joke "blind trust".

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh good subbing for this shit after taking some mental days off and we're only 100 pages in.

I need you all to hear something: This is not ok. This is not ok or normal or fine or gonna be ok if we tread water. This is NOT ok.

MIcnm1R.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
@juliannagoldman:

Christ that's horrifying.

Totakeke

What's the possibility we're seeing a replay of his campaign strategy. Just throw so much shit out that no one can possibility keep up with all the wrongdoings so letting most of them pass.

Kid Heart

For Democrats. The GOP comes home.

Also, something I've noticed is that people are looking at Trump winning and making it a model of success. Experience as a liability. Make the wwc the central feature.
Why not go full hog and full racist. That worked for him too.

I don't think experience is a liability at all, but I've noticed that outside of some of the incumbent presidents winning a second term a lot of our presidents within the last few decades beat out the guy who on paper was more experienced. Reagan beating Carter, Clinton beating Bush, W beating Gore, Obama beating McCain, and now Trump beating Hillary. I think the one thing all of these guys had in common was that they were more charismatic then the person they were running against. While I would vehemently protest any candidate the Democrats try to put up without any experience, putting up a candidate lacking in charisma I think will be the death of us in 2020. It sucks, and I think a lot of people out there are severely underestimating how much damage a candidate usually takes the longer they stay on the political battlefield, but that's the reality of it.

Also, the wwc should absolutely not be the center of the DNC's attention. Millennials and Minorities I think will better benefit the party in the future, but they are not ready to carry the Democrats yet. While yeah, the wwc deserves blame for throwing minorities under the bus, the grim reality is that they are still needed to win the election. My suggestion is to try and make job retraining a bigger thing come next time election to try and appeal to them (alongside with it a mandatory course in "Minorities are you friend, not chips you gamble with for your own benefit.")

Kusagari

@juliannagoldman:

Let's be real, Ivanka as Sec. of Education is preferable to Carson.

Zukkoyaki

Bolton's name sends shivers down my spine and not in a good way. If he ends up SoS there would be an uncomfortably high chance of war with Iran which would usher in a domestic and international blowback unlike anything the U.S. has ever experienced. Silver lining I suppose would be a better chance of winning upcoming elections. The American public hates war. Ugh.

Totakeke

New Nate Cohn tweet.

B0t5gRG.png

If I travel to these places can I get away from the doom and gloom and everyone is jubilant and celebrating?

geomon

New Nate Cohn tweet.

B0t5gRG.png

If I travel to these places can I get away from the doom and gloom and everyone is jubilant and celebrating?

Lot of people out there thinking that Trump is going to magically make manufacturing jobs reappear after regressing for 40 years. Wonder how they'll feel in 4 years when those jobs aren't there and things are worse for them.

New Nate Cohn tweet.

B0t5gRG.png

I mean it's not surprising. All those areas that went red got devastated by NAFTA. Of course they're gonna go for the candidate whose main talking about is replacing said trade deal.

Sure. but you'll get harassed "Go back to California Smug Librul!"

Fighting generalizations with generalizations doesn't help anyone.

Zukkoyaki

Lot of people out there thinking that Trump is going to magically make manufacturing jobs reappear after regressing for 40 years. Wonder how they'll feel in 4 years when those jobs aren't there and things are worse for them.
Yup. A lot of these voters are fickle and quick to turn on the government especially if they fail to deliver.

"Charisma" as it's being used seems to typically be just a word people use to describe the person they personally like better.

None of the candidates had charisma. I guess maybe Trump.

Also how are his kids going to run his business without any conflict obviously and have top secret clearance. Just lol.

I just can't shake this fucking feeling of having a wet blanket on all the time. The Obamas leaving and this clown show running the country is just disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.jpg. Our only real hope is Trump shits the bed and we can make some moves in 18 and win in 20. If things keep going ok and he doesn't do anything crazy he might actually become popular. Bleh. Hillary and her campaign really let this country down. I'm hanging all my blames on them. You blew it you bunch of hack frauds.

I'm staying in Skyrim and never coming out.

On the plus side now that we have a bunch of inauguration talk I can be super anal about the fact that Trump is really the 44th POTUS and not the 45th.

Cleveland, y'all.

I mean it's not surprising. All those areas that went red got devastated by NAFTA. Of course they're gonna go for the candidate whose main talking about is replacing said trade deal.

The kinds of jobs you're talking about we're lost because of NAFTA. Between automation and outsourcing of industry to China (not in NA!) that was inevitable. The voters there may be NAFTA and the Dems need to address that but lets be accurate here.

Goodstyle

One thing I wish Democrats would learn from the GOP, act like you have a mandate even though you don't have one.

This fucker lost the popular election and he has the balls to hire Steve Bannon.

You had Obama pointing Republicans to key positions just to make republicans feel better.

If Obama appointed a hard core democrat to the head of the FBI, we probably would have been looking at President Elect Clinton right now. Lessons for the future I suppose.

Dan

If Obama appointed a hard core democrat to the head of the FBI, we probably would have been looking at President Elect Clinton right now. Lessons for the future I suppose.
Democrats need to all have this posted in their offices.
NHXp4.gif

We can't be making compromises and getting nothing out of them when we're in power.

Democrats need to all have this posted in their offices.
NHXp4.gif

We can't be making compromises and getting nothing out of them when we're in power.

I mean that's a good attitude and all but we haven't been in power since 2010.

It's not like Obama caved on progressive policy proposals, they were all just blocked for 6 years. A few across-the-aisle appointments doesn't mean abandonment.

NAFTA is small fucking potatoes compared to China's entrance to the WTO.

Leaving NAFTA will do nothing for these people.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
"Charisma" as it's being used seems to typically be just a word people use to describe the person they personally like better.

None of the candidates had charisma. I guess maybe Trump.

Also how are his kids going to run his business without any conflict obviously and have top secret clearance. Just lol.

I take "charisma" to mean someone who doesn't sound robotic. By that standard, Trump has it.

Dan

A look at some of what's being filed for the next legislative session in Texas:
• Sen. Bob Hall, R-Edgewood, introduced a bill to overrule city ordinances that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and other factors not as not been granted by state law. Austin is among the Texas cities that protect lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents from employment and housing discrimination.

• A bill by Rep. Byron Cook, R-Corsicana, would require health care facilities, including abortion clinics, to ensure that all fetal remains are buried or cremated. State health officials have proposed similar regulations.

• On abortion, Rep. Matt Schaefer, R-Tyler, proposes eliminating an exception that allows the procedure for fetuses with a severe and irreversible abnormality, while Hall proposes a state constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to life of unborn children and prohibiting abortion to the extent authorized under federal constitutional law.”

• To eliminate bag bans enacted by Austin and other cities, Hall proposes a law guaranteeing that businesses may provide bags “made from any material.”

• Several Democrats filed bills to allow for online voter registration. A bill by Rep. Mark Keough, R-The Woodlands, would shorten early voting periods by five days and move early voting closer to election day.

Other proposed bills would cap property tax increases, outlaw red-light cameras, allow firefighters and emergency medical personnel to carry a firearm on duty, reduce penalties for personal use of marijuana and ban state agencies from contracting with companies that boycott Israel.

I mean that's a good attitude and all but we haven't been in power since 2010.

It's not like Obama caved on progressive policy proposals, they were all just blocked for 6 years. A few across-the-aisle appointments doesn't mean abandonment.
Well, I don't think we took full advantage of the first two years of his presidency, instead we played a little too nice and left a lot on the table.

I take "charisma" to mean someone who doesn't sound robotic. By that standard, Trump has it.

Agreed. Trump always sounds like he's speaking from the heart, Clinton sounded like she was reading bullet points directly off of a PowerPoint.

A look at some of what's being filed for the next legislative session in Texas:

Well, I don't think we took full advantage of the first two years of his presidency, instead we played a little too nice and left a lot on the table.

We passed the most progressive health legislation in US history. The individual mandate was what really mobilized the Tea Party and caused the 2010 GOP wave. If anything we may have pushed too hard. Politically speaking, of course, not morally.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

They'll feel that returning to a system of ethnic slave-labour will make a lot of sense.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/shaking-washington-donald-trump-just-appointed-clo-5152

Shaking Up Washington: Donald Trump Just Appointed A Cloaked Man As Secretary Of The Hook

Time to say goodbye to politics as usual.

In another stunning game changer that has further upended the political establishment, President-elect Donald Trump this morning announced the nomination of a mysterious cloaked man to serve as his secretary of the Hook.

Yep. Trump promised change, and right away he’s appointing a nameless robed man to lead the Department of the Hook. How’s that for a shock to the system?

The silent man, whose face is completely shrouded within a thick, hooded cloak, is rumored to have topped the shortlist of candidates for secretary of the Hook after emerging alone from a dense forest at night and immediately causing all greenery within the Washington beltway to wilt.

Trump has already lauded his nominee as “a wonderful man with an absolutely tremendous cloak” whom he trusts do an “unbelievable job” discharging the duties of the position, which include abiding by the Hook, interpreting the Covenant of the Hook, and holding aloft the candle whose flame subtracts light from its surroundings.

“The man in the cloak is going to be a fantastic secretary of the Hook. Just fantastic,” said Trump, who added that the secretary will be second in the presidential line of succession. “No one is better qualified to enforce the covenant than this man. His cloak is dark, he was born before Christ, I don’t know his name, he has the Hook now, and he’s ready to fight for us!”

And don’t look now, but the presumptive secretary of the Hook is already making waves. At dawn this morning, he led the Zealots of the Hook in a procession through the streets of Washington, toward the open entrance to the Onyx Pyramid, an edifice by the Lincoln Memorial that residents could not remember ever having existed but that the cloaked man assured Americans in a terse press release “has always been and shall forever be.”

One thing’s for sure: This appointment signals a whole new political era in the nation’s capital. We can’t wait to see how this bold move turns out!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No, NAFTA's not what devastated them.

the biggest problem for the USA isn't NAFTA.... not by a long shot.

2014 numbers from wiki:

Mexico and Canada trade deficit? 88 billion. Canada is a major natural resource exporter so this looks worse than it is.

EU. China. Trade deficit between those 2 is 480 billion. RIGHT THERE IS THE PROBLEM.

Though Mexico is an issue... it's nowhere near as big as china. Mexico is a big consumer, too. Mexico and Canada Import $550+ billion from the USA. China? 123 billion.

Dan

is PoliGAF still against Keith Ellison for DNC chair?
The only thing anyone holds against him is the part-time element. I guess it's okay if he's surrounded by organized people with some experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom