• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly think it's possible for Democrats to gain in 2018 and 2020. DNC needs someone to lead so we can start to fix the problems within the party.

We also need to agree on a strategy; that is, when the party decides, the talking heads don't talk back. There is no room for public disagreement inside the party right now.

Someone should probably take away TYT internet access tbh.

How many Democrats are as corrupt/power-hungry/vain as Republicans? Would it be possible to run 2018/2020 with a national "clean-up politics/kick the GOP out" policy? I mean, NC politics seems toxic, and after Trump I think it'll be worse.

Not something to do if your party is just as dirty as the opponent's, though.

We could definitely manage it, I feel. Again, though, people with publicity would need to not snipe at fellow Dems.

dramatis

Remember when the House of Representatives was supposed to actually be representative based on population?
We knew back in 2012 that wasn't a thing. If I recall correctly, D reps received more votes than R reps did in total, nationwide, but the House didn't flip.

The original system was designed with land/territory in mind.

Random17

I fully expect any Trump administration to use whatever powers they have to give themselves a political advantage.

Nothing is off the table with these guys.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the overall feeling in here has been people are in great fear of Trump himself.

I don't get that. The thing that scares me is that we have the most far-right republican party in total control. I fear for social programs. I fear for voting rights. I fear for any member of the poor or lower-middle class.

I honestly foresee there being some fireworks between Trump and the GOP because of this. I think Trump wants people to like him, and I think he genuinely wants to do things that will make people like him. Ryan, though? He doesn't care. He's a hardcore right-winger who cares nothing for those less fortunate.

Zukkoyaki

How many Democrats are as corrupt/power-hungry/vain as Republicans? Would it be possible to run 2018/2020 with a national "clean-up politics/kick the GOP out" policy? I mean, NC politics seems toxic, and after Trump I think it'll be worse.

Not something to do if your party is just as dirty as the opponent's, though.
This strategy could be very powerful if the economy starts to go south and people begin losing healthcare, medicare and their relief funds.

This strategy could be very powerful if the economy starts to go south and people begin losing healthcare, medicare and their relief funds.

Hell, even if it doesn't- I think that we saw conclusively this year that railing against complacency and corruption is BIG, even if you're the living embodiment of it. Not even just Trump, I don't think Sanders would have done as well as he did if he didn't paint the DNC as the bogeyman. Spinning that against the Republicans has a lot of appeal.

As with many issues in this country and the Constitution, it comes down to slavery.

Don't want those urban areas that didn't have slaves telling the rural slave holders how to run their plantations.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sam Stein Verified account
‏@samsteinhp

WH official confirms that they're still waiting for Pence to sign legal paperwork (memorandum of understanding) to get transition going

Wilsongt

Remember when the House of Representatives was supposed to actually be representative based on population?

Hahahahaha. That was destroyed in 2010. Now it's representative of greedy politicians.

To make the house fair again you would need to divide each state into representative squares something. None of this bullshit going on.

Mac_Lane

Eliot A Cohen
‏@EliotACohen

After exchange w Trump transition team, changed my recommendation: stay away. They're angry, arrogant, screaming "you LOST!" Will be ugly.

Ugh. This is gonna be a shitshow.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think the overall feeling in here has been people are in great fear of Trump himself.

I don't get that. The thing that scares me is that we have the most far-right republican party in total control. I fear for social programs. I fear for voting rights. I fear for any member of the poor or lower-middle class.

I honestly foresee there being some fireworks between Trump and the GOP because of this. I think Trump wants people to like him, and I think he genuinely wants to do things that will make people like him. Ryan, though? He doesn't care. He's a hardcore right-winger who cares nothing for those less fortunate.

Yes, the real danger has always been the ultra-radicalized GOP seizing total control of the government. Trump is a vehicle and even if they dislike him it is clear they saw their chance.

The thing I worry about is Trump collapsing under the pressure. Yeah, he wants to promote himself and look in charge. If the weight of the presidency is too much however I could see him retreating and allowing everyone to run rampant, from Pence on down.

There's great danger not in Trump being a strong dictator, but in Trump being weak. A lot of signs point to him being an extremely weak man.

"You lost" doesn't have much of a punch when it doesn't have a public mandate behind it, so it's even more annoying! Though I suppose it's fitting that this campaign in particular sneak in via a system designed to make sure rural voters have an unbalanced impact on elections.

Hahahahaha. That was destroyed in 2010. Now it's representative of greedy politicians.

To make the house fair again you would need to divide each state into representative squares something. None of this bullshit going on.

Squares are (almost certainly) terrible. There's 1 principe you need to stick too (that the population per seat be as similar as possible (going to have to do this within a state I suspect, but ideally you'd want it to hold over all too) and 3 principles that you really want but they can conflict:
1) Geographic coherence (you don't want bizarre starfish shapes or spirals or fractals but you do want to be able to blend regional areas into cities for example because of the following)
2) Getting >50% of the vote should get you >50% of the Seats. (Probably going to have to do this on a state by state basis)
3) As many seats as possible should be competitive (say within a 5% margin) (to stop parties ignoring those seats). That's why you want to be able to do things like have curvy shapes that blend into the edge of cities.

It's probably totally impossible to meet all 3 but you want to try for all of them.

And you want to do it by setting up a non-partisan committee with input from both parties to do it, so that rolling it back is likely to tick people off.

Ecotic

I fear both of these scenarios and I'm not sure which one will ultimately cause more harm. Ryan will certainly enact an agenda that causes a generational disaster, but Trump could easily cause another middle eastern war in his quest to occupy Iraq and take the oil. Or stop Iran.

Can you imagine how Trump will react when the CBO releases a report on his tax plan and it turns out to be shit?

"lyin' partisan CBO saying my tax plan is terrible. I should sue! Sad! #MAGfSWPA"

The Republicans already directed the CBO to account for magic unicorn dust multiplicative effects of tax cuts as a result you can probably expect Trump's tax plan to increase revenue ~infinity %.

tuffy

Team Fucktard is still refusing to rule out going after Clinton.
They have to pay lip service to going after Clinton because Trump made such a big deal about it during the election. But actually doing so would be an enormous distraction for months that's sure to end in an embarrassing defeat once she's acquitted, so only a complete imbecile would actually go through with it.

chadskin

@AP:
BREAKING: House Speaker Ryan to nation: `Welcome to the dawn of a new unified Republican government'

starwars2teaser3.jpg

Drakeon

Dave Weigel said:
@daveweigel
Rand Paul tells me he's not inclined to support Giuliani or Bolton for Secretary of State.

Good news, just need to pick off Collins, Murkowski or another relatively moderate senator and Trump will have to come up with someone slightly more reasonable.

Maybe a dumb question, but what's stopping Dem controlled Blue States from banding together and forming their own version of the ACA should it get repealed? Don't they already tend to have lower uninsured rates and be wealthier on average?

Rand Paul is a shithead, but this is the one time I'm glad to have him in government.

Jeff Flake should be able to be convince too....

Need one more Republican.

Anyway, Paul Ryan is suffering from a rare birth defect where he has no backbone.

Paul Ryan is read some of Breitbart's greatest hits, attacking his Catholicism and kids: "I'm not looking backwards; I'm looking forwards."

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/798555246859522052

Fox318

A month ago you two were at each other's throats.

Now they see a chance to get the dream things they never thought they could pass.

• Complete de-funding of Planned Parent Hood
  • Banning Evolution in schools
  • Destruction of the EPA and DoE.
  • Medicare and Food Stamp programs canceled
  • Maximum Minimums increased
  • Increased militarization of police
  • Deportation of every Mexican
  • Department of Housing and Urban Development closed
  • Allowing businesses to refuse to serve or employ anyone based on religious views
  • Educating children that homosexuality is a sin by choice
  • School prayer made mandatory with the pledge of allegiance
  • A national holiday dedicated to Ronald Reagan
  • Expansion of domestic oil exploration and expansion of fracking while defunding any green energy policy invective

They now have the stomach democrats didn't have in 2008 to force everything through and they have media partners in Fox and others that will either support them or turn a blind eye.

Barzul

Maybe a dumb question, but what's stopping Dem controlled Blue States from banding together and forming their own version of the ACA should it get repealed? Don't they already tend to have lower uninsured rates and be wealthier on average?

Nothing I think if the legislation gets passed. GOP is all about "states rights" too. Nothing they could do to stop it.

chadskin

Was Steve Bannon, Donald Trump’s Attack Dog, Paid Illegally?
A campaign watchdog group filed a complaint with federal election officials that alleges Stephen Bannon—recently named one of Donald Trump’s top White House advisers—may have gotten paid illegally during Trump’s campaign by pro-Trump billionaires.

And now, a new set of Federal Election Commission filings that haven’t yet been reported on may give the group’s case some additional heft.

At issue are payments of nearly $200,000 that a super PAC called Make America Number 1 made to a company tied to Bannon. On Aug. 17, Bannon left his post as chairman of Breitbart News and became the Trump campaign’s CEO. Available FEC filings show the campaign didn’t pay Bannon a salary. Larry Noble, who heads the Campaign Legal Center, said he believes the super PAC covertly paid Bannon for his campaign work through his moviemaking company. Neither the super PAC nor Bannon provided a response to Noble’s comment.

They're in way over their heads.

Wilsongt

And we're off!!

TruthRevolt, a conservative site founded by former Breitbart editor Ben Shapiro and David Horowitz, branded Ellison a “Muslim Brotherhood Shill” and a “radical.” On Fox News, pundit Pete Hegseth called Ellison a “radical congressman.”

Fox News also published an article which painstakingly lays out the allegations against Ellison, titled “Who is Keith Ellison? Left-wing congressman with past ties to Nation of Islam wants DNC job.”

And in Commentary Magazine, Ellison was described as an example of the left’s “embrace of radicalism,” part of the democrats “big bet on fanaticism,” and “a former disciple of Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam.”

“Though he had since denounced Farrakhan’s anti-Semitism, Ellison has kept the torch of antipathy for Israel burning,” Noah Rothman writes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom