• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Again, most of these folks (that actually matter policy wise) need to be confirmed outside of a recess appointment.

The GOP does not have a large enough majority to outright pass controversial picks to be honest. May get lots of failures from Trump until he learns (probably angrily) how the Senate works...or waits for a recess which the Dems can try to delay for a long time...

Cabinet officers are nominated by the President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate by a majority vote

Fun times.

It's a little confusing to me that in all of the states that Hillary did better than Obama in, she outperformed him in Washington state.

Kusagari

I like how Carson doesn't think he's qualified for any position in government except to be president.

I still think if he wanted it we would have ended up with the glorious Trump/Carson ticket.

The best case scenario is that Trump is the Republican Jimmy Carter where incompetence and lack of personal relationships between president and party cause nothing to get done despite total control.

tuffy

The best case scenario is that Trump is the Republican Jimmy Carter where incompetence and lack of personal relationships between president and party cause nothing to get done despite total control.
If a presidential administration is an extension of the campaign, this is largely what I'm expecting. Trump's been notoriously combative with the GOP establishment in congress and I expect that relationship will continue to deteriorate once the dust has settled.

I wonder when Tim Kaine retires from the senate in 20 years or whatever, if anyone will even remember he was the VP candidate who ran against Trump.

I barely remembered he was the VP candidate while he was actively running.

Carter was an outsider candidate who agreed with the party on mostly everything, but each side was constantly engaging in petty fights because they had no relationship and it sabotaged what they could do.

Oh considering that Trump has zero relationship with much of the GOP, doesn't pay attention, and might attack the GOP I guess that might like Carter.

Yeah; my prediction is that he's gonna try to do the things he promised to benefit the rustbelt and Republicans won't help him; Democrats will hate him and he'll be a pretty isolated president pretty quickly. His path to reelection goes through the rustbelt again, too.

Most likely case is probably W except with way more money stolen from the government.

Cancelling the health insurance of millions and regime change in Iran will hopefully be unpopular enough to make Trump a one term president though.

mo60

It's a little confusing to me that in all of the states that Hillary did better than Obama in, she outperformed him in Washington state.

She only outpeformed what obama got in 12 in that state. She's around 1% below what obama got in 08 in that state right now. Also a few blue counties flipped to red in this election in that state.

Put me in the basket of people who believe Trump is the GOP's Carter.

One termer mediocre president who didn't get along with his party and ushered in a massive wave for the other party.

The story is writing itself as we go along, to repeat history, except in the opposite direction.

One termer mediocre president who didn't get along with his party and ushered in a massive wave for the other party.

The story is writing itself as we go along, to repeat history, except in the opposite direction.
But Carter wasn't mediocre. He was awesome :(

OPEC crisis, Iran Hostage crisis and all other bullshit that unfolded around him wasnt his fault.

Barzul

Most likely case is probably W except with way more money stolen from the government.

Cancelling the health insurance of millions and regime change in Iran will hopefully be unpopular enough to make Trump a one term president though.

I just don't see how they survive repealing ACA in it's entirety. 20m people is roughly a third of all the people who voted for Trump. Don't care how many deplorables there are, he can't survive the political fallout.

She only outpeformed what obama got in 12 in that state. She's around 1% below what obama got in 08 in that state right now. Also a few blue counties flipped to red in this election in that state.

No one should compare anything to 08 Obama... 08 Obama is an anomaly

Kusagari

So Trump will be seen as the worlds biggest monster by the left 30 years from now, except it will actually make sense in this case.

BiggNife

I just don't see how they survive repealing ACA in it's entirety. 20m people is roughly a third of all the people who voted for Trump. Don't care how many deplorables there are, he can't survive the political fallout.

And if Ryan actually manages to repeal Medicare like he wants to they're extra fucked.

The GOP's plan is running head first into stagflation, it is possible. Though Carter is an exceptional person, I'd hate to tie Trump to him.

Teggy

Cabinet officers are nominated by the President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate by a majority vote

Fun times.

So do we think R's will just blank slate confirm or will there be holdouts? I guess Paul did say he wouldn't support a couple of people.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Not just him, there are a lot of folks in congress who are wary of easily being the subject of "HE took away millions of peoples health coverage and left them to die" attack ads.

"Repeal Obamacare!" has always sounded much easier than it will be.

So do we think R's will just blank slate confirm or will there be holdouts? I guess Paul did say he wouldn't support a couple of people.

The party is emboldened by the election and individuals lack the courage or temerity to stand against awful appointments.

Toxi

Banned
Blank slate confirm. The thing you have to understand about Republicans is most don't have standards.

dramatis

What did she say about muslims?
http://www.salon.com/2015/10/31/bil...l_time_turns_ugly_on_barbaric_muslim_beliefs/
Bill Maher hates religion, but he really hates Islam. On Friday evening’s “Real Time,” the host spoke to Democratic Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii about their shared quest against Muslims.

Gabbard told Maher she believes it is “crazy” that Secretary of State John Kerry says that extremism comes from poverty — and that President Obama won’t say “Islamic extremism” instead using the words “violent extremism.” She thinks it’s important to “identify our enemy so that we can defeat them.” Secretary Kerry’s comments are particularly absurd to her because she thinks that giving someone a house to live in and a skateboard isn’t going to solve the problems of violence abroad.

Maher went on to attack liberals for what he says is a refusal to discuss the “barbaric” beliefs by some Islamic people in the west and Gabbard agreed. She thinks liberal philosophy “gets in the way” of being able to address it. Apparently, when Gabbard went to Iraq she was tasked to train the Kuwaiti army on counterterrorism, women weren’t even allowed on the base.

Gabbard went on to say “words mean things” which is presumably why the liberals she is attacking refuse to paint an entire group of people as the same.

If you want to know a bit more about Tulsi Gabbard, WaPo also has an article about her.

But Carter wasn't mediocre. He was awesome :(

OPEC crisis, Iran Hostage crisis and all other bullshit that unfolded around him wasnt his fault.

He had complete control and failed to major things about poverty or healthcare.

There were giant things that could have been done if Carter and Congress didn't squabble over bullshit.

Now, Trump is a terrible man whereas Carter is a great one, but hopefully the in-fighting preventing major legislation happens.

Blank slate confirm. The thing you have to understand about Republicans is most don't have standards.

They have control of the three branches anything goes wrong it'll be labeled as their fault. They will try blame Democrats, but it'll only work so much.

dramatis

I wonder when Tim Kaine retires from the senate in 20 years or whatever, if anyone will even remember he was the VP candidate who ran against Trump.

I barely remembered he was the VP candidate while he was actively running.
Let's be honest, the history books don't remember the VPs. We barely remember the presidents as-is.

Can you name like 10 guys and what they did between Lincoln and FDR?

BiggNife

Are we in a new golden age of the Republican party?

They are going to greenlight so many things they've been holding our country hostage with for the last 8 years.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/798596014533935104

A "golden age" that'll last two years tops before there's a backlash from heathcare repeal and another recession from excessive spending.

Let's be honest, the history books don't remember the VPs. We barely remember the presidents as-is.

The only one that'll probably be remembered for a long time is Cheney because it's obvious he was the driving force behind a lot of GWB's decisions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think Paul Ryan is going to come out of this as a far greater villain than Donald Trump. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump feud with Ryan over things, especially as 2020 draws near.

Kaine, Ryan, Palin, Edwards, Leiberman... uhh... errr little Bobby Dole Jr?

That's as far back as I can go naming losing VPs.

A "golden age" that'll last two years tops before there's a backlash from heathcare repeal and another recession from excessive spending.

Yeah; the repeal of Obamacare is a no-win situation for them. They can either repeal it and kick 20m people off their insurance, pissing all of them off, or they can try to repeal the 'unpopular' parts, like the mandate (which is necessary for the thing to work) and it'll be a disaster, or they can do nothing and face backlash for not doing anything.

A good rule for disregarding predictions is whether it aligns with the best case scenario for what the predictor wants

Diablos

The only one that'll probably be remembered for a long time is Cheney because it's obvious he was the driving force behind a lot of GWB's decisions.
Biden too. And probably Pence because he'll be doing all of Trump's work.

I don't think there will be another recession in 2 years. At least, I hope not.

Dems really need to get their shit together for 2018 or we are going to be the minority party for a looooooong time.

He had complete control and failed to major things about poverty or healthcare.

There were giant things that could have been done if Carter and Congress didn't squabble over bullshit.

Now, Trump is a terrible man whereas Carter is a great one, but hopefully the in-fighting preventing major legislation happens.

I suspect this will come up on tax cuts, the infrastructure bill, and ACA.

If both tax cuts and ACA happens first then I doubt Democrats will support the infrastructure bill if it ever happens. Trump has no real plan for it and how it is done might turn off people. The price tag will make it a non starter for it. Considering Trump's "deal making" he'll have no leadership in Congress and might give up on it. I think no major legislation will happen until much late in next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom