• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the heartland?

Because it can't mean no cities, because there's tons of cities missing (like every city in NY that isn't NYC)

I assure you, Trump did not win Rochester or Buffalo.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's 75 degrees in Utah today, can we talk about emails some more?

Hmm, what happened to Chicago or Atlanta on this map?

CxVecSqUcAAxODr.jpg

Or like Minnesota or Miami or Detroit!

It's Breitbart, are you really shocked? I know tiny-ass magazines run by dudes in sheds that care more about getting the facts right than them.

So I came across this interview with Bannon in 2014, and I'm having a hard time reconciling this with the guy from Breitbart news. It outlines his global vision, and while there are parts I disagree with, it's actually more sensible than what we've been getting from the Republican party for the past 8 or even 16 years, even farther.

Hell if you took some of the quotes and didn't say who they were from, some would think it was from Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

Then again, it's also at odds with what we've seen so far from the current Trump transition.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfede...entire-world?utm_term=.ovBa1VD96Z#.giNvjYOMyP

It doesn't matter what he believes. He ran a "news" organization with a category for "Black Crime." No one should care what his thoughts on the economy are.

His adoption of positions on issues that you agree with doesn't matter, because you know he'd adopt the opposite position if it would give him more power.

Even if he doesn't believe the trove of racist and misogynist bullshit that he published in Breitbart, he knows who Trump's base is, and he knows he will have to throw them a bone every once in a while. That will include pushing the Trump administration in some very dangerous and dark directions.

NJ gubernatorial primary looks to be an early clash between wings of the party. We have a Bernie supporter vs a former Goldman Sachs executive.

Toxi

Banned
So I came across this interview with Bannon in 2014, and I'm having a hard time reconciling this with the guy from Breitbart news. It outlines his global vision, and while there are parts I disagree with, it's actually more sensible than what we've been getting from the Republican party for the past 8 or even 16 years, even farther.

Hell if you took some of the quotes and didn't say who they were from, some would think it was from Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

Then again, it's also at odds with what we've seen so far from the current Trump transition.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfede...entire-world?utm_term=.ovBa1VD96Z#.giNvjYOMyP
I’m not an expert in this, but it seems that they have had some aspects that may be anti-Semitic or racial. By the way, even in the tea party, we have a broad movement like this, and we’ve been criticized, and they try to make the tea party as being racist, etc., which it’s not. But there’s always elements who turn up at these things, whether it’s militia guys or whatever. Some that are fringe organizations. My point is that over time it all gets kind of washed out, right? People understand what pulls them together, and the people on the margins I think get marginalized more and more.

Actual Breitbart headlines

'Bill Kristol: Republican spoiler, renegade Jew'

'Gay rights have made us dumber, it's time to get back in the closet'

'Birth control makes women unattractive and crazy' (This one apparently had the wonderful quote "We need the kids if we're to breed enough to keep the Muslim invaders at bay.")

Bannon is a fucking snake.

Of course my question is to Bannon then is how do you reconcile this with your candidate saying he wants to get rid of Dodd-Frank?

Either Bannon or Trump were lying.
Both are liars.

NJ gubernatorial primary looks to be an early clash between wings of the party. We have a Bernie supporter vs a former Goldman Sachs executive.

Good. The fucking Goldman guy came out of NOWHERE and just bulldozed everyone. Fulop, the mayor of Jersey City, was hands down the favorite, and mysteriously pulled out to make room for Phil Murphy (the Goldman guy). Do you have a name on the Bernie supporter? Is it Lesniak or Wisniewski?

Cyanity

Banned

Seriously check out these quotes

Of course my question is to Bannon then is how do you reconcile this with your candidate saying he wants to get rid of Dodd-Frank?

The normalization of white supremacists is getting insane.

Good. The fucking Goldman guy came out of NOWHERE and just bulldozed everyone. Fulop, the mayor of Jersey City, was hands down the favorite, and mysteriously pulled out to make room for Phil Murphy (the Goldman guy). Do you have a name on the Bernie supporter? Is it Lesniak or Wisniewski?

It's John Wisniewski.

Hmm, while there definitely needed to be stricter provisions in the bailouts (ie fuck executive pay and golden parachutes, etc), what should have been done? Let the financial industry collapse? I mean there were global knock on effects already occurring. Plus, I think it is also ridiculous to callout the banking industry bailout as bad and then I assume consider the auto bailout was good (not saying you did, but when middle America and the working class work for those auto firms I am sure they liked not losing everything).

Then again, I guess we can see how it all plays out after Trump repeals all the financial regulations in place and something worse happens.

Toxi

Banned
The Tea Party is totally not racist, they were just asking for Obama's birth certificate for totally legit non-racist reasons.

Speaking of which, Breitbart was part of that campaign. Fuckers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good news for Wisniewski then.

The guy behind the bridgegate probe? Yea, he probably takes it if he doesn't go too far to the left. I mean, if there was ever a time for him to give it a shot. I wouldn't read too much into this one though given the dynamics at play.

My man, Lindsey Graham has finished jizzing his pants over the idea of Cotton and Bolton and has time to say something good for once.

WASHINGTON ― With Republicans in control of the House, the Senate and, come January, the White House, calls have come from some quarters of the Republican Party to eliminate the filibuster and ram through an unadulterated Trumpian agenda.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Tuesday thoroughly rejected that approach. “That’s a horrible, terrible idea,” he said after an off-camera briefing with reporters in the Capitol.

Asked if he’d vote against the effort if it came to the Senate floor, he said he would “in a heartbeat.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...up-the-filibuster_us_582b870ae4b01d8a014b1ac4

This is a crazy antisemtic world view. Its thesis is "the (((globalists))) control everything and we need to be judo-christian nationalists to fight islam and defend europe, the US and Christendom."

faisal233

Democrats don't do well in runoffs in deep south if I remember correctly. R vote is more consolidated.

That seat in LA has literally no chance of going D. Literally the only way JBE got elected was Republicans essentially teaming up to take Vitter down. People actually like Kennedy so there is no chance he loses.

Too bad Trump wasn't a Democrat. Would have gave up after everyone told him he had no chance.

What does the DNC have to lose? It has already lost everything. Instead of trying to pick off a GOP seat by trying to get a higher than usual turnout because of a Trump win, we are just going to give up. The GOP has deployed their resources to defend a safe seat. We are holding our powder for 2020.

Because Trump supporters had great turnout this year in the midwest. Does that make it likely for a Democratic sweep in the midwest? I know the President's party typically loses seats in the mid terms and its hard to say where this country will be in 2 years and what Trump's approval rating will be but I'm curious about the midwest specifically.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I read those Obama comments as, "Hang tight--I'm gonna lead you back to some political power again." I wonder if he is going to start heading up some efforts for 2018.

sphagnum

Banned
Bannon is very good at masking his bigotry, talking about "Judeo-Christian values", calling the right nationalist tide a "center right revolt", watering down the influence of the fascists and racists by saying it will all be sorted out in time while his site runs content catering to them, etc.

But just like Trump saying "I totally disavow David Duke", it doesn't mean it's true. He's just very slick.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wanted fulop

Drakeon

I read those Obama comments as, "Hang tight--I'm gonna lead you back to some political power again." I wonder if he is going to start heading up some efforts for 2018.

I know his original plan post-2016 was to run an organization with Eric Holder that would focus on 2020 for the redistricting that will be done. I imagine with a Trump win, his focus might shift to the near term to mitigate the damage that will be done in 2018.

Especially with that colossally fucked Senate map that democrats have to defend. God, 2018 is going to be rough on the Senate.

Because Trump supporters had great turnout this year in the midwest. Does that make it likely for a Democratic sweep in the midwest? I know the President's party typically loses seats in the mid terms and its hard to say where this country will be in 2 years and what Trump's approval rating will be but I'm curious about the midwest specifically.

If it's bad I think it there is a chance. Kansas of all placed pushed back to the center and rejected the governors referendums on judges. The backlash with good messaging could do it.

Current Sarkozy is the most plausible French Trump and even he's called Trump's climate change stance the height of stupidity and called for carbon tariffs to be put on U.S. goods shipped to France.

Our fascists are so much more stupid than other countries.

I wanted fulop

Me too (I'm a JC resident). I'm REALLLLLY curious what drove him out so fast. Murphy lined up the North and South Jersey endorsements SO fucking quickly. What the hell happened??

edit: Holy fucking shit @ Justice Cruz. No one in this thread EVER say it can't get worse.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bannon is very good at masking his bigotry, talking about "Judeo-Christian values", calling the right nationalist tide a "center right revolt", watering down the influence of the fascists and racists by saying it will all be sorted out in time while his site runs content catering to them, etc.

But just like Trump saying "I totally disavow David Duke", it doesn't mean it's true. He's just very slick.
This. Don't be fooled by Bannon's obfuscations and handwaving.

Toxi

Banned
This. Don't be fooled by Bannon's obfuscations and handwaving.
So many people forget the bigots got smarter.
Lee Atwater said:
You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”

I too wanted Fulop, but Phil Murphy is pretty progressive right? And he seems to be an outsider to New Jersey politics?

Yup, but my problem he's LITERALLY an outsider. As in, I don't believe he's ever lived here. Just parachuted in and got all these endorsements is my understanding.

edit: He moved to Middletown in 2000.

He did plenty. Called the right election map and hustled in and out of every state in the list with a lot less cash.

As much as I hate Trump, this idea that he didn't do anything simply isn't true. He did more than Hillary.
remember people in here trash talking all his 'stupid rallies'?

Well, regardless of the tone of those events, he got work done

gonna throw out a name for 2020: steve bullock

two-term dem governor of montana (who ran 25% ahead of clinton), ran on a progressive platform that didn't even come close to throwing natives (the biggest minority group in MT) under the bus, apparently has approval ratings in line with charlie baker

downside is he's probably boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom