• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could foresee Kate Brown, Steve Bullock, and even maybe Roy Cooper becoming sleeper hits in the 2020 primaries. Bench is small enough where we shouldn't count anyone out.

gonna throw out a name for 2020: steve bullock

two-term dem governor of montana (who ran 25% ahead of clinton), ran on a progressive platform that didn't even come close to throwing natives (the biggest minority group in MT) under the bus, apparently has approval ratings in line with charlie baker

downside is he's probably boring

Along those lines, I'd prefer Brian Schweitzer, who definitely isn't boring (he famously vetoed bills with a cattle iron). He's an anti-Washington populist with a flair for the theatrical, which would help in a post-Trump world. (Schweitzer actually considered running this past cycle but got scared off by HRC; he worked for O'Malley in the primaries so he's not tainted by her)

Thinking about other past governors, I remember liking Deval Patrick's 2012 DNC speech, and he was on HRC's early VP shortlist (but he's been hired by Bain Capital, so the optics might be tough). But that's basically all I know about him, so

I'd like to see Tom Perriello run for VA Governor, now that he's not getting Kaine's seat. Looking through his twitter images, the base would like him, but he was also endorsed by the NRA in his House races, so that could help with WWC (though the timing of a Nov '17 election-Jan '18 inauguration makes it more likely he'd be a running mate rather than run for the top of the ticket).

I find it pretty sobering that it took this kind of destructive election to wake up even Glenn Beck. Shit has gotten real.

It's really scary to be honest. Glen is right though this alt right nationalist Russian shit is a real threat to our democracy.

It's going to get really ugly, the problem is people like Cruz and Ryan just see all this as free reign to pass legislation they have been wet dreaming about instead of taking a real fucking stand against these issues.

That thread about the insider account of what went on in the Javits Center is awful. The OP makes his point, he lets people get privy to information about the campaign's own modeling.

It doesn't fit with what OT-GAF wants to hear that the Clinton campaign was an absolute mess, and that Trump was a genius. So, they tear the OP a new one. I was considering making a post there, but I've been savaged enough by guys like them.

shit, you weren't kidding.

I hope people will be able to chill soon, because despite the mistakes made, we can't spend forever just biting into Clinton.

Please Corey for RNC chair- that guy is a friggin idiot. Say what you want about Priebus, but he's clearly smart. Lewandowski is a moron.
Though it is funny looking back and realizing that Corey was both Trump's most effective and least controversial campaign manager.

Also funny that CNN got completely played for fools by him. Well, "funny."

royalan

Sanders needs to go away if he's not going to understand the value of intersectionality. Tired of his endless "we didn't help the white people!" crying

Every day Bernie Sanders proves that black folks were right for giving him a collective side-eye.

geomon

It may do some good what Glenn Beck is doing, but he's a charlatan. He is doing another character after the last one got stale.

No it's more simple than that. Glenn Beck hates Steve Bannon because The Blaze (Glenn Beck) is a direct competitor of Breitbart (Steve Bannon). That's really all there is to it.

Yup, this is a common thing right now. Same thing my dad said (sorry for always using him as the example, he is the main republican I talk politics with).

Ok so where are they being spoon fed this vile shit? It's not a coincidence they all have the same talking points.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
No it's more simple than that. Glenn Beck hates Steve Bannon because The Blaze (Glenn Beck) is a direct competitor of Breitbart (Steve Bannon). That's really all there is to it.

Yup, that's what I mean. His old character got stale and Breitbart usurped him.

Glenn Beck loves BLM and hates the alt-right but still lets Tomi Lahren vomit garbage about how BLM is a terrorist group that hates cops and that the only reasons liberals are protesting right now is because they're lazy. All on his network, The Blaze. OK.

royalan

Yup, this is a common thing right now. Same thing my dad said (sorry for always using him as the example, he is the main republican I talk politics with).

Call them fucking morons.

No, I'm dead serious, call them fucking morons.

Don't treat ignorant opinions with kids gloves. Sometimes approaching people as though they have rational viewpoints merely encourages them to dig in their heels.

My grandmother is one of the most stubborn people I have ever encountered who had some backwards ass views on gay people. We have a loving relationship now, I tell her everything. But that did not happen until in the middle of an increasingly contentious discussion, I looked her right in the eye and said, "Grandma, you're being completely ignorant." And walked away.

That was years ago. She still talks about it as being an eye opening moment for her.

Harry Reid and Obama should be secret DNC Chair.

Also Trump's campaign was shambolic not genius. He won despite himself.

Hillary's operation was actually good. Well resourced and oiled. It was just wrong wrong wrong in where it went. And regardless of how much the magic of hindsight says we knew better. We totally didn't.

Even Trump thinks Bannon is nuts.

During their conversations, there were some moments on-air when Trump and Bannon disagreed. Though not many.

Last November, for instance, Trump said he was concerned that foreign students attending Ivy League schools have to return home because of U.S. immigration laws.

“We have to be careful of that, Steve. You know, we have to keep our talented people in this country,” Trump said. He paused. Bannon said, “Um.”

“I think you agree with that,” Trump said. “Do you agree with that?”

Bannon was hesitant.

“When two-thirds or three-quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think . . . ” Bannon said, not finishing the sentence. “A country is more than an economy. We’re a civic society.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...c66362-ab69-11e6-a31b-4b6397e625d0_story.html

Rohrabacher is Putin's top — perhaps only — defender in Congress

Trump's fallback choice for SoS if Rudy is too indebted to too many dictators!

https://twitter.com/michaelcrowley/status/798704810186960897

chadskin

A summary of today by @awprokop

CxWVK4eWgAElY0P.jpg

mackaveli

What happens if Trump can't fill his administration / cabinet?

Like what happens if somehow Trump couldn't fill Secretary of State for example. Does Kerry just keep doing the job until Trump decides?

Please Corey for RNC chair- that guy is a friggin idiot. Say what you want about Priebus, but he's clearly smart. Lewandowski is a moron.

Along these lines, I'm not sure how I feel about Bannon. He has exactly one election under his belt and no knowledge of electoral politics or political negotiation, just propagandizing to the already converted. Maybe that's all you need. Or maybe that's idiotic. Having just been blindsided by this election, I'm not confident in how it will go.

I can't keep it together. This uncertainty is so damn horrifying.

Like I'll go through periods of feeling ok. Then even slightly better. But then it just comes crashing down and I can barely breathe.

Sibylus

Banned
I can't keep it together. This uncertainty is so damn horrifying.

Like I'll go through periods of feeling ok. Then even slightly better. But then it just comes crashing down and I can barely breathe.

I've suggested it to a lot of folks going through hard times, especially now, but CBT and mindfulness (5-4-3-2-1, meditation, etc) can be really helpful. Look into it, please.

Brinbe

lmao and the ending line just tops it all. Fuck it, I'm gonna get my well-done steaks. What a fucking disaster already.

jonjonaug

What happens if Trump can't fill his administration / cabinet?

Like what happens if somehow Trump couldn't fill Secretary of State for example. Does Kerry just keep doing the job until Trump decides?

The President can fire any of them at will, so even if Trump couldn't find someone to fill the spot there's no reason he would have to keep Kerry around.

mackaveli

The President can fire any of them at will, so even if Trump couldn't find someone to fill the spot there's no reason he would have to keep Kerry around.

But if he fired Kerry and couldn't find a suitable replacement then USA would have no SoS until he did? Wouldn't that be bad?

jtb

Banned
Obama will be a very necessary counterweight to Bernie in the coming months and years, I suspect. A welcome one, too.

ampere

I've suggested it to a lot of folks going through hard times, especially now, but CBT and mindfulness (5-4-3-2-1, meditation, etc) can be really helpful. Look into it, please.

Awesome advice too!

We need to heal and get our minds together so we can fight this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom