• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
A summary of today by @awprokop

CxWVK4eWgAElY0P.jpg

mother of god. makes the clinton defeat even more infuriating.

What happens if Trump can't fill his administration / cabinet?

Like what happens if somehow Trump couldn't fill Secretary of State for example. Does Kerry just keep doing the job until Trump decides?

But if he fired Kerry and couldn't find a suitable replacement then USA would have no SoS until he did? Wouldn't that be bad?

Usually the political appointees leave with the President (unless the president specifically wants them to stay, like when Bob Gates continued at Defense).

There's a line of succession within the departments, so until a new SoS is confirmed the duties would fall on the Deputy Secretary (or whoever's further down the list if that's vacant) as Acting Secretary of State.

royalan

Obama will be a very necessary counterweight to Bernie in the coming months and years, I suspect. A welcome one, too.

Counterweight?

Even without holding office, Obama could bulldoze Sanders if he wanted to.

I'll give Bernie credit, though. He'll be a necessary loud voice moving forward. Democrats need to stay pumped and angry, and voices like Sanders and Warren will be integral for that.

But, moving the party forward, we'll need voices that are every bit as loud as they are focused. People who can channel that activist energy into a real organized movement for change. That is not Sanders. That IS Obama and, hopefully, Ellison. We'll especially need those voices to keep Sanders in check, who is quite openly moving for a power grab at the moment.

Diablos

I literally laughed out loud when I read that apparently some of the transition folks were asking Obama's cabinet to suggest Republicans for Trump's cabinet.

😂 Asking the party you just beat that you need help with your own fucking cabinet. Unbelievable.

I can't keep it together. This uncertainty is so damn horrifying.

Like I'll go through periods of feeling ok. Then even slightly better. But then it just comes crashing down and I can barely breathe.

Consider tuning out of the news altogether until after the inauguration. It is good to be informed, but not if it makes you sick. I have been feeling really anxious as well. This Andrew Sullivan piece really spoke to me. I think the constant flow of information with its weird subtle barrage of rewards and shocks is doing something bad to us.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/09/andrew-sullivan-technology-almost-killed-me.html

jtb

Banned
Counterweight?

Even without holding office, Obama could bulldoze Sanders if he wanted to.

I'll give Bernie credit, though. He'll be a necessary loud voice moving forward. Democrats need to stay pumped and angry, and voices like Sanders and Warren will be integral for that.

But, moving the party forward, we'll need voices that are every bit as loud as they are focused. People who can channel that activist energy into a real organized movement for change. That is not Sanders. That IS Obama and, hopefully, Ellison. We'll especially need those voices to keep Sanders in check, who is quite openly moving for a power grab at the moment.

I completely agree. I just think Obama will be unwilling to put his finger on the scale and he recognizes that it's a time for new voices, so he's not going to be a dominant figure in shaping the future of the party, he'll be focused on making sure that vision gets executed. So there's a limit to his influence, but an intentional one.

yeah. maybe christie was actually booted for sheer incompetence? like, what the hell had he been doing as trump transition chief? i mean, besides the obvious grifter and tv appearences stuff.

Diablos

yeah. maybe christie was actually booted for sheer incompetence? like, what the hell had he been doing as trump transition chief? i mean, besides the obvious grifter and tv appearences stuff.
I think there's a rift between him and Kushner. If I'm not mistaken Christie went after some of his people way back. Business partners or something. It's personal.

I think it was a mistake for Hillary and Obama to make the "he can't be trusted with twitter and we are going to trust him with nukes?" into a punch line

They should have treaded this subject more seriously.

I think it was a mistake for Hillary and Obama to make the "he can't be trusted with twitter and we are going to trust him with nukes?" into a punch line

In hindsight

There really was a whole lot of hubris and assuming they were going to win. The data was damned wrong.

I feel like I'm in some alternate reality. Trump is president. What the fuck.

Diablos

In hindsight

There really was a whole lot of hubris and assuming they were going to win. The data was damned wrong.

I feel like I'm in some alternate reality. Trump is president. What the fuck.
Yeah I can picture the Obama and Hillary photo ops in my head so clearly. Oh well, it's happening in a multiverse somewhere. Hopefully I wake up in it.

Buckle up, folks. We've looking at the Godzilla Threshold now.

That was the one good zinger she came up with besides the reversal she did to the "30 years" attack during the final debate.

Sibylus

Banned
This new administration's incompetence is potentially our boon. They can't get along without Obama and his appointees leading them by the hand? Opportunity to lead them to places they might not have otherwise gone... or spark the fascist and his minions to finally eat each other.

I think there's a rift between him and Kushner. If I'm not mistaken Christie went after some of his people way back. Business partners or something. It's personal.

yeah i know about the personal rift, but even with that kushner could have pushed christie out much sooner and not have to deal with the embarrassing aftermath of shoving him aside after the fact and during a sorta important time. unless of course they thought they weren't going to win (yes) in which case having Christie in some trophy position far away from Trump land made life easier.

watershed

Banned

I think it worked. Even exit polls showed people extremely concerned about Trump's temperament. It just didn't influence enough votes, plus a thousand other things that didn't work out in favor of HIllary.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
They clearly did not anticipate a win at all.
Their problems likely extend much farther than that. Vox recently ran a series of articles about presidential transitions, and the bottom line is that they're extremely difficult even under the best of circumstances. With very little executive experience, and Trump's inclination to surround himself with yes men and sycophants, this could be a very dysfunctional administration.

Diablos

yeah i know about the personal rift, but even with that kushner could have pushed christie out much sooner and not have to deal with the embarrassing aftermath of shoving him aside after the fact and during a sorta important time. unless of course they thought they weren't going to win (yes) in which case having Christie in some trophy position far away from Trump land made life easier.
Probably a bit of both? Hard to say. I'd think they gave him a trophy position to shut him up thinking it wouldnt matter. Now that it does the bad blood between him and Kushner ended things fast.

I get the impression that they never really knew what to do with Christie.

One thing that annoys me about the "godless liberals in their cities need to understand rural America!" is that... A lot of Muslims in the Middle East have lifestyles or cultures or value systems similar to that in rural America... And rural America wants all of those people dead.

....... Rural America is fucked up.

VRMN

Their problems likely extend much farther than that. Vox recently ran a series of articles about presidential transitions, and the bottom line is that they're extremely difficult even under the best of circumstances. With very little executive experience, and Trump's inclination to surround himself with yes men and sycophants, this could be a very dysfunctional administration.

We've had eight years of general competence. But this looks like it'll make the really dysfunctional George W. Bush administration look positively inspired. No one who knows anything wants to deal with the yes men Trump is putting in charge. And no one in the Congress or GOP power apparatus is willing to challenge Trump because he might hold a grudge and hold something important, like Ryan's plans to blow up the safety net, in jeopardy. It's cravenness mixed with inexperience at its worst.

Best case scenario is that white house is a mess for 4 years and most departments just continue with the status quo.

Also Ive never really considered just how monumental a task the transition itself is with the complete clearing out of all the people who've learned how to run small daily activities with completely new people. You combine with someone who literally has no idea how to run government and you get this mess.

The temperament line worked. Like 60% of people thought Trump did not have the proper temperament to be president. The problem is that it was not a dealbreaker. Hillary's untrustworthiness was. My issue is that they kept repeating his stupid words, that he called women pigs and slobs, etc. From Obama to the lowest commentator. It sort of diluted it's effect. We know Trump is a shit person. I think they should have treated Trump like Romney. Stick to the facts as they pertained to his businesses. Any other fallout (Khan, Curiel, Machado) is just gravy, and let your media commentators slug it out instead of riding it. In the end Romney lost because voters saw him as the guy who fired them and shipped their jobs overseas. Trump is 100 times that and the material on him could fill up buildings. The easy fallback for Trump voters was that he's a businessman when faced with his incendiary comments, they say they were voting for the businessman. The media did not push back on any of his business history because Hillary campaign didn't.

Donthizz#

few hours ago I saw Glenn Beck of all people warning people about alt-righ and Bannon on AC. I feel like i'm living in a parallel universe. I want to go back. 😔

VRMN

The temperament line worked. Like 60% of people thought Trump did not have the proper temperament to be president. The problem is that it was not a dealbreaker. Hillary's untrustworthiness was. My issue is that they kept repeating his stupid words, that he called women pigs and slobs, etc. From Obama to the lowest commentator. It sort of diluted it's effect. We know Trump is a shit person. I think they should have treated Trump like Romney. Stick to the facts as they pertained to his businesses. Any other fallout (Khan, Curiel, Machado) is just gravy, and let your media commentators slug it out instead of riding it. In the end Romney lost because voters saw him as the guy who fired them and shipped their jobs overseas. Trump is 100 times that and the material on him could fill up buildings. The easy fallback for Trump voters was that he's a businessman when faced with his incendiary comments, they say they were voting for the businessman. The media did not push back on any of his business history because Hillary campaign didn't.

The media didn't push back on anything, but reporting was done on Trump's shady business dealings and the Clinton campaign went hard on his being a cheapskate that stiffed small businesses. None of it stuck because the media went from scandal to scandal and nothing really blew up the same way Clinton's email bullshit haunted her for 18 months. Basically proof that death by a thousand cuts doesn't work as well as one massive gash to the chest.

VRMN

See I can get not liking the dude. I can get not wanting to work with him. But waiting until Christie is at the doorstep of his highest achievement only to fuck him over......That's some goddamn vindictive shit.

Uh. Trump family. We should be used to this by now, people.

Also it seems like he is literally mixing the worst of the GOP into one administration from extreme neocons to hardcore religious right, to corporate conservatives. I think Priebus might be the only "normal" pick right now. All of these ideologies are going to class big league aND with Trump not having any real political ideologies that he wouldn't turn on in a second I don't know who he will listen to.

Crocodile

They should have treated this subject more seriously.

It will probably have to wait until people cool off a bit before we can have a better conversation but there are somethings I think everyone should understand:

-Even if you lose, that doesn't mean everything you did was a mistake
-Even if you win, that doesn't mean everything you did was correct
-Even if you run a campaign well, you can still lose
-Even if you run a good campaign, that doesn't mean you didn't make mistakes (even fatal ones)

Postmortem analyses shouldn't be black and white

It will probably have to wait until people cool off a bit before we can have a better conversation but there are somethings I think everyone should understand:

-Even if you run a good campaign, that doesn't mean you didn't make mistakes (even fatal ones)

I'm pretty sure everything she did was wrong and everything he did was right. And another man would have done it better. And I knew this all along.

This deserves reiteration.

Best case scenario is that white house is a mess for 4 years and most departments just continue with the status quo.

Also Ive never really considered just how monumental a task the transition itself is with the complete clearing out of all the people who've learned how to run small daily activities with completely new people. You combine with someone who literally has no idea how to run government and you get this mess.
It's not just Trump who's never held office in government. It's Bannon, Priebus, and Kushner, too. All the top guys. Ironically they shitcanned Christie, the one who's actually governed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom