• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Nigel Farage is on Hannity explaining how great it is that Trump is here to prevent immigrants from coming here and treating women like second class citizens.
Yeah, we rely on Americans like Trump to treat women like that.

Fuck this garbage. A stain on the 21st century.

I think I've officially reached the depression stage of grief. At the same time, I feel like I'm having mini panic attacks fairly regularly, like I just need to scream. I've had this incredibly uncomfortable pit in my stomach and reading all the news lately, I really don't see it getting any better.

I feel like existential dread

:(

How does trust busting poll with the white working class?

That seems like one economic populist idea that would actually make sense economically and turn hatred away from Muslims, Jews, Hispanics, black people, etc to the owners of capital who may not deserve that either, but can certainly handle it better...

East Lake

How does trust busting poll with the white working class?

That seems like one economic populist idea that would actually make sense economically and turn hatred away from Muslims, Jews, Hispanics, black people, etc to the owners of capital who may not deserve that either, but can certainly handle it better...
You could put CEOs in jail for fraud, like really easily.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I feel like existential dread

:(

I think I've officially reached the depression stage of grief. At the same time, I feel like I'm having mini panic attacks fairly regularly, like I just need to scream. I've had this incredibly uncomfortable pit in my stomach and reading all the news lately, I really don't see it getting any better.
I was feeling all perked up with Obama's rally call. Then I read more nightmares and now I have that sinking feeling. And its like I want to cry but I can't. I just feel hollow.

Kevinroc

Comic book writer Nick Spencer is a pretty political guy. You wouldn't be surprised that he's writing the Captain America titles these days. But it was this that he just said in response to a story from the AP about Paul Ryan...

https://twitter.com/nickspencer/status/798787862036480000

The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: House Speaker Ryan to nation: `Welcome to the dawn of a new unified Republican government'

Doesn't look like you have the votes to get the filibuster killed, so enjoy life on the other side, champ.

PoliGAF, is this true? Are we about to see years of Democratic filibusters?

Comic book writer Nick Spencer is a pretty political guy. You wouldn't be surprised that he's writing the Captain America titles these days. But it was this that he just said in response to a story from the AP about Paul Ryan...

We fucking better.

Dems better not pussy out and reach across the aisle in the Senate. They better fucking not. They better ball up and not be afraid.

It's not so much that the threat of 'Dems are blocking progress!' that they should be afraid of Republicans accusing them during elecitons. No, they have bigger things to worry about. And right now they need to nut the fuck up.

Uhh, yes.

If Rand Paul proposes national right to work, then Dems will obviously filibuster that bill.

Chichikov

I think the GOP will threaten to go nuclear if the dems filibuster, not sure who will blink first but my guess is that democrats. Regardless, I don't think there's any way the GOP will be willing to live with a level of obstruction the Democrats went through, so something will have to give one way or another.

I can see the GOP using a filibuster as an excuse to say "we tried" to their base though.

royalan

We fucking better.

Dems better not pussy out and reach across the aisle in the Senate. They better fucking not. They better ball up and not be afraid.

It's not so much that the threat of 'Dems are blocking progress!' that they should be afraid of Republicans accusing them during elecitons. No, they have bigger things to worry about. And right now they need to nut the fuck up.

Not to mention, this is the last thing the Democratic base wants to see right now.

We just saw Donald Trump win the Presidency. A dangerous, racist moron with dangerous, racist advisers will be handed the keys to the White House. This is bigger than some minor ideological differences. The last thing Democrats in congress need to do is legitimize that, normalize it, work with it. Nothing would be more demoralizing.

I mean, as kos put it:

If Trump wants to renominate Merrick Garland to the court, or fix the Voting Rights Act, then yeah, maybe we can find some common ground there.

If the GOP just wants to fuck over poor people and people on Medicare, nah fam. You guys can figure that shit out by yourselves.

This is bad news for that gaf poster I quoted earlier today that predicted Trump will be the republican carter by not working well with his party to get stuff passed

This is bad news for that gaf poster I quoted earlier today that predicted Trump will be the republican carter by not working well with his party to get stuff passed
TBH I still wouldn't doubt it. Seems rather likely they won't be able to nuke the filibuster. Possibly not even for SCOTUS nominees.

Before this year he had predicted every election correctly because his system had Gore winning in 2000 when Gore won the popular vote but lost the election and he got this one right by predicting Trump when Trump lost the popular vote and won the election.

It's easier to be right when you can change what the standard is for being correct.

Pixieking

Banned
What do off season GOTV efforts typically look like? I was talking to a friend who wanted to know how he could volunteer to get more people registered and engaged to vote in 2018.

I didn't see an answer to this query, and I'm curious too. :)

One thing that annoys me about the "godless liberals in their cities need to understand rural America!" is that... A lot of Muslims in the Middle East have lifestyles or cultures or value systems similar to that in rural America... And rural America wants all of those people dead.

....... Rural America is fucked up.

Yeah, LGBTQ, women's rights, state religion and "A woman's place is doing what men tell her" are all things Kuwait/UAE/Iran and even countries with more freedom, like Jordan, have, that rural America loves (to some degree).

Also, was an activism megathread started in the end?

They only need a simple majority for appointments, besides the Supreme Court, anyway?

I'm curious if any remaining "moderate republicans" would prevent them nuking the filibuster just to install some nutjob Trump nominee. Like a Susan Collins? Shelley Moore Capito? Other than them, there's only John McCain who's considered a moderate Republican Senator now.

I don't really get why people like Collins haven't just switched parties by now.

Consider tuning out of the news altogether until after the inauguration. It is good to be informed, but not if it makes you sick. I have been feeling really anxious as well. This Andrew Sullivan piece really spoke to me. I think the constant flow of information with its weird subtle barrage of rewards and shocks is doing something bad to us.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/09/andrew-sullivan-technology-almost-killed-me.html

This generation is definitely fucked with how much shit we consume. That article has to speak to everyone in some way.

geomon

Ford will shift production of small cars to Mexico from Michigan despite Trump threat

Ford Motor Company is going ahead with its earlier plans to move some of its automobile production from Michigan to Mexico. Mark Fields, CEO at the US automaker confirmed the same on Tuesday (15 November) on the sidelines of the Los Angeles Auto Show.

He said that the company would shift production of its small cars brand, 'Focus' to Mexico in 2018. He added that this would not lead to any job losses in the US and would instead make room for developing two new products in its Michigan plant.

"We're going forward with our plan to move production of the Ford Focus to Mexico, and importantly that's to make room for two very important products we'll be putting back into Michigan plants...There will be no job impact whatsoever with this move," Fields was quoted as saying by Reuters.

The CEO further explained that it would not be profitable for Ford to make small cars in the US. If it had to build the Focus brand of small cars in the US, it would be forced to increase the prices, which in turn would make selling them difficult, he explained.

Fields is also said to have spoken in favour of NAFTA and other such free trade deals. These were said to be similar to the comments made earlier by his peer, Harald Krueger, the CEO of BMW.

Yo, red counties in Michigan. How do you all feel about this?

They only need a simple majority for appointments, besides the Supreme Court, anyway?

I'm curious if any remaining "moderate republicans" would prevent them nuking the filibuster just to install some nutjob Trump nominee. Like a Susan Collins? Shelley Moore Capito? Other than them, there's only John McCain who's considered a moderate Republican Senator now.

I don't really get why people like Collins haven't just switched parties by now.
If Dean Heller has any intention of winning reelection in Nevada he better start voting like a Collins.

Pixieking

Banned

Good... Ford backing down would've made no sense, and would've given Trump an easy-win.

I'm actually wondering if companies will use Trump's election as an easy reason to move away. No doubt some companies want to shift certain things overseas, but can't say it's because of money. So, instead, they can issue a statement saying "We feel the Trump administration of racism, fear and hate is not one we can support. We are therefore shifting manufacturing to [insert country here]."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good... Ford backing down would've made no sense, and would've given Trump an easy-win.

I'm actually wondering if companies will use Trump's election as an easy reason to move away. No doubt some companies want to shift certain things overseas, but can't say it's because of money. So, instead, they can issue a statement saying "We feel the Trump administration of racism, fear and hate is not one we can support. We are therefore shifting manufacturing to [insert country here]."
I don't see how that plays any better to anyone than simply saying it's a matter of money. It's one thing for progressives to cheer some companies balking at North Carolina's current climate, it's another for anyone to be happy about them leaving the country entirely.

Maybe I'm mixing up news, but haven't Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul said they wouldn't want to do away with the filibuster? That'd be two.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't see how that plays any better to anyone than simply saying it's a matter of money. It's one thing for progressives to cheer some companies balking at North Carolina's current climate, it's another for anyone to be happy about them leaving the country entirely.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean it in a "I'd be happy this happened" way, more that it would actually cause some to cheer, because a corporation would be seen as standing-up to a Neo-Nazi/fascist administration. Even if the publicly given reason (Trump admin sucks) is an obfuscation of the truth (Trump admin sucks, but we need to cut costs so we're blaming someone else), it would change the perception of the company's actions.

Diablos

Depending on what happens I might have to stop caring about politics. What we're experiencing is a nightmare. It's like, absolute worst case scenario for what comes after Obama's Presidency. Not to mention it's really deepening the divide in the Democratic Party which makes it harder for them to come back. Also deepens the divide in this nation. I'm not sure we can win anything until 2020, at best. We are going to need a wave election especially since Trump is going to try his hardest to impose Wisconsin-like voting laws. But it's going to be hard, especially if we can never win back any part of the rust belt before the sun belt gets to where we need it to be.

I'm glad the filibuster is still alive for now, but I still think it's gone for SCOTUS.

The more I think about it the more I like Cruz for supreme Court.

It will act to accelerate Roberts and Kennedy move towards left.
Or he will make the court a living hell and batter them into submission. No thanks. He doesn't belong on the court.

If they have spines. Yes. So we should start saying the American People should decide the next Supreme Court justice 4 years from now. Only fair right?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Nigel Farage is on Hannity explaining how great it is that Trump is here to prevent immigrants from coming here and treating women like second class citizens.
this is like some meta level "they're taking our jerbs" shit
"Only we get to harass our women!"

Karu

Zeit.de reports on their app that Putin ordered for Russia to pull their founding signature from the international court of justice in Den Haag.

You need to take a break from politics stuff. Go do something outside like hiking. Go volunteer for something. I think a lot of anxiety caused by the election is thinking that you are somehow alone in this fight, or that you are apart of small minority.
We got through the Darth Cheney years, and we'll get through this too.

Depending on what happens I might have to stop caring about politics. What we're experiencing is a nightmare. It's like, absolute worst case scenario for what comes after Obama's Presidency. Not to mention it's really deepening the divide in the Democratic Party which makes it harder for them to come back. Also deepens the divide in this nation. I'm not sure we can win anything until 2020, at best. We are going to need a wave election especially since Trump is going to try his hardest to impose Wisconsin-like voting laws. But it's going to be hard, especially if we can never win back any part of the rust belt before the sun belt gets to where we need it to be.

I'm glad the filibuster is still alive for now, but I still think it's gone for SCOTUS.

Or he will make the court a living hell and batter them into submission. No thanks. He doesn't belong on the court.

Please don't stop caring about politics. We need Democrats now more than ever to get involved. I think its going to be a tough fight, but I certainly believe we can come out of 2018 and 2020 as winners. We just can't get complacent. Just remember that Trump winning never fixed how bad his campaign was ran, or that he can't control his impulses around women, or that he has a god complex, or that his attention span is that of a child. It also most certainly didn't heal the fractures within the GOP.

chadskin

Donald read his early morning press clippings

@realDonaldTrump:
The failing @nytimes story is so totally wrong on transition. It is going so smoothly. Also, I have spoken to many foreign leaders.

Donald read his early morning press clippings

President Trump
@POTUS:
The failing @nytimes story is so totally wrong on transition. It is going so smoothly. Also, I have spoken to many foreign leaders.

Gonna edit that tweet to see how it looks coming from the @POTUS account.

Oh god

My god, man. You won the election. You have no need to further hound the specific media outlets you personally have a grudge against. You fucking won. Is he going to Tweet every single morning there's a headline he doesn't like? The fucking President.

How could Trump possibly ruin the country enough in 2 years to have a Democratic midterm shift, anyway? Even if he goes into unwinnable trade wars and pulls out of every treaty imaginable it'll take time years for thing to crater. Mind you a "cratering" is not exactly a desirable economic future. I'd rather backlash come on the social and ethical issues.

The GOP Senate holds the filibuster for Trumps first 2 years at least, I think. They want to inoculate themselves from catastrophic Trump/Ryan crap and say they did the "right thing" by standing up to some of them. Turning back some cabinet appointees would set a tone that they won't put up with any massively unpopular stuff. They can pretty safely say they'll hold congressional majorities after 2018--Again, assuming it's impossible for the country to fall apart that much that quickly--And if the background noise is a coming Democratic wave for 2020 then they'll take their last shot at going nuclear.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My god, man. You won the election. You have no need to further hound the specific media outlets you personally have a grudge against. You fucking won. Is he going to Tweet every single morning there's a headline he doesn't like? The fucking President.

How could Trump possibly ruin the country enough in 2 years to have a Democratic midterm shift, anyway? Even if he goes into unwinnable trade wars and pulls out of every treaty imaginable it'll take time years for thing to crater. Mind you a "cratering" is not exactly a desirable economic future. I'd rather backlash come on the social and ethical issues.

The GOP Senate holds the filibuster for Trumps first 2 years at least, I think. They want to inoculate themselves from catastrophic Trump/Ryan crap and say they did the "right thing" by standing up to some of them. Turning back some cabinet appointees would set a tone that they won't put up with any massively unpopular stuff. They can pretty safely say they'll hold congressional majorities after 2018--Again, assuming it's impossible for the country to fall apart that much that quickly--And if the background noise is a coming Democratic wave for 2020 then they'll take their last shot at going nuclear.

I agree with this mostly. I think GOP will try their best to appear reasonable for the next two years. Then, in 2019, the wheels will come off and they'll go scorched earth.

No way. GOP will be like the horny teenager who miraculously convinced the prettiest girl in school to sleep with him. They'll be so excited that all caution will be thrown to wind and repercussions ignored eventually leading to a spectacular if ill-timed blowup. These guys simply won't be able to help themselves.

Honestly, the effects of a trade war would be felt more or less immediately; a matter of months, at most.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No way. GOP will be like the horny teenager who miraculously convinced the prettiest girl in school to sleep with him. They'll be so excited that all caution will be thrown to wind and repercussions ignored eventually leading to a spectacular if ill-timed blowup. These guys simply won't be able to help themselves.

Guess we'll see. Maybe I'm just being naively hopeful.

Honestly, the effects of a trade war would be felt more or less immediately; a matter of months, at most.

This. I think people drastically underestimate how soon this would affect our economy, which is why I'm puzzled Trump focused on it. This will hurt every consumer pretty badly, and will make it appear as if the economy is in shambles.

Zukkoyaki

A trade-war with China is extremely unlikely in my opinion. As others have said it would be awful for our economy and the world economy. We're talking more or less overnight recession. Plus we all know how the GOP is fondled by Wall Street so I struggle to see it actually happening.

Accelerationism sounds fun until you realize that a lot of people are going to get hurt in the process. I would've vastly preferred the timeline where Hillary got to fill Scalia's vacancy (or at least conceded on Garland in case Congress was being difficult) than this one with a cabinet full of inexperienced crazy people and U.S. White Supremacy being potentially legitimized.

So here's a question. If Republicans somehow got over their hatred of roads and bridges and got their shit together enough to pass a reasonable infrastructure bill, would you want dems to fillibuster that? I'm torn because I want Republicans to have a taste of our last 8 years, but I also really want to see our infrastructure fixed. Our failing bridges could be a danger to everyone.

Even though our economy has been doing well, it doesn't take much to send everything off the rails.

We're due for a recession anyway.

After taking a break earlier this week bond yields have started to creep back up. This is the biggest story no one is talking about. All the chaos from team Trump is starting to freak out investors. If they aren't careful higher interest rates are going to hurt the economy before his tax cuts or new infrastructure spending hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom