• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/197462/americans-satisfaction-makes-turn.aspx

-qokblc4dksuw4y72wq2qa.png

Wonder how low we can go with things like this or Trump/Republican approval ratings.

I still can't believe how much power Trump and the Republicans have with such incredibly poor approval ratings.

Just a reminder that within the last 24 years, Republicans have only been able to establish two administrations in the WH and both of them were done so with EC only majority. The only PV this party has won since I've been born was under the circumstance of a double wartime incumbent 3 years after an immense terrorist attack.

There's something wrong with this picture.

Diablos

Just a reminder that within the last 24 years, Republicans have only been able to establish two administrations in the WH and both of them were done so with EC only majority. The only PV this party has won since I've been born was under the circumstance of a double wartime incumbent 3 years after an immense terrorist attack.

There's something wrong with this picture.
It means the electoral college has held this country back and we are going to feel the effects for the rest of our lives. I wish we had a magic liberal SCOTUS that could temporarily defy the constitution and abolish it.

Odrion

Banned
A senior official from Clinton’s campaign noted that they did have a large staff presence in Michigan and Wisconsin (200 and 180 people respectively) while also stressing that one of the reasons they didn’t do more was, in part, because of psychological games they were playing with the Trump campaign. They recognized that Michigan, for example, was a vulnerable state and felt that if they could keep Trump away ― by acting overly confident about their chances ― they would win it by a small margin and with a marginal resource allocation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry..._us_582cacb0e4b058ce7aa8b861?mfnm5yh9t7bhjjor

i feel sorry for everybody who donated to hillary

It means the electoral college has held this country back and we are going to feel the effects for the rest of our lives. I wish we had a magic liberal SCOTUS that could temporarily defy the constitution and abolish it.

The craziest thing about all this is that the EC was created to prevent what just happened last week. These days the concept of faithless electors is almost unheard of. We had two electors from WA that were threatening to go faithless but against Hillary. One was doing so as a protest against the EC, but the other was some both sides dude that just didn't like her.

Combine this with things like gerrymandering and pushing voting restrictions that are skewed against minorities and you have an easy path to power for the GOP that doesn't require them to actually expand or adjust their appeal despite the electorate at large being against them for two dozen years.

faisal233

they would win it by a small margin and with a marginal resource allocation.

Yes, marginal resource allocation while running the most expensive on a critical firewall state seems smart and planning to win by a small margin seems even smarter.

Crocodile

Is it me or are these "Clinton insider stories" becoming more and more incredulous? Like I soon feel we will hear that "Clinton injected herself with Pneumonia as part of a 12th dimensional chess gambit" or "John Podesta is actually 3 raccoons in a suit" or something.

What the fuck kind of strategy is this.

James Bond villain slow moving laser level of stupid
It's beyond even that, because at least Bond's villains recognize that he's a threat to their plan.

Clinton's campaign saw Trump gunning for their weaknesses and ignored it, because "we've got this". When presented evidence of Trump gaining on them, they plugged their ears and now the entire country is fucked over.

Honestly, fuck her entire campaign staff. They lost and rather then admit that they fucked over everyone who didn't want Cheeto Mussolini they blame everyone but themselves.

Is it me or are these "Clinton insider stories" becoming more and more incredulous? Like I soon feel we will hear that "Clinton injected herself with Pneumonia as part of a 12th dimensional chess gambit" or "John Podesta is actually 3 raccoons in a suit" or something.
Everyone wants an out as to why they were failed and not vice versa. Which makes perfect sense. Since they all want to be tapped for Sanders/Kander 2020.

This is just...weapons grade stupid.

In Michigan alone, a senior battleground state operative told HuffPost that the state party and local officials were running at roughly one-tenth the paid canvasser capacity that Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) had when he ran for president in 2004. Desperate for more human capital, the state party and local officials ended up raising $300,000 themselves to pay 500 people to help canvass in the election’s closing weeks. By that point, however, they were operating in the dark. One organizer said that in a precinct in Flint, they were sent to a burned down trailer park. No one had taken it off the list of places to visit because no one had been there until the final weekend. Clinton lost the state by 12,000 votes.

Trump's economic adviser thinks Trump is concerned about privatizing Medicare.

Please proceed.

https://twitter.com/Lucas_Shaw/status/799044778205839360

PLEASE double down on privatizing medicare, republicans.

why're we still taking every "insider" report from every media outlet as fact while taking victory laps about being right? don't y'all get tired of this?

Seriously, everyone pretending that their hindsight is the same as foresight is getting annoying as hell.

You had people complaining about doing too many localised events rather than national addresses.

People bemoaning a lack of Latino emphasis. Or youth emphasis. Or black emphasis.

People applauding decrying the deplorables for what they are.

People so sure she would sweep and take some traditionally red territory.

I sure was wrong wrong wrong.
And so was everyone else.

Boke1879

Wish some of the people who left were still here so they could continue telling me how brilliant a campaign manager Mook was. How idiotic.

and what satisfaction would you get out of that? A lot of this shit really just amounts to "I told you so."

Ok. And? Most past this bullshit. This is literally just living in the past. I've moved on from Clinton. What are we going to do win the Presidency and gain ground in the Senate and House?

Learn from these mistakes. Yes. But taking some sort of gratification in proving others on this message board wrong isn't helping shit.

We all thought it was Hillary who was lucky running against an incompetent campaign

Turns out...

Well it appears overconfidence done them in and both sides did stupid decisions. Trump had a populist message and constant media exposure.

In the end, it was more about the campaign and Clinton than Trump and his campaign.

Boke1879

I see this thread is still reliving and upset about a week ago. I think it's high time we moved on and direct out anger and energy and things that actually matter right now.

Like holding Trump accountable, Getting involved and getting others involved in local and state elections, and just being more engaged.

Frankly I think the only good thing about a Trump Presidency is it'll show to never be complacent, keep the younger people engaged and watchful.

Seriously, everyone pretending that their hindsight is the same as foresight is getting annoying as hell.

You had people complaining about doing too many localised events rather than national addresses.

People bemoaning a lack of Latino emphasis. Or youth emphasis. Or black emphasis.

People applauding decrying the deplorables for what they are.

People so sure she would sweep and take some traditionally red territory.

I sure was wrong wrong wrong.
And so was everyone else.

This is true, I was as guilty of it as anyone else if not moreso, but I don't think I'm alone when saying that a lot of that confidence that she would "sweep" came from the assumption that she would be using much the same strategy obama used in 08 and 12...compete everywhere, heavy ground game, use data to determine who you should hit and when.

And why wouldn't we believe this? There was a massive fundraising advantage on the clinton end so money wasn't an issue, and literally nothing else was shown to be effective at actually winning presidential races until Obama came along.

I and a lot of other people are not just surprised but gobsmacked and outraged at Clinton's approach. It's the exact OPPOSITE of what we were led to believe the campaign was doing, and I can't think of a single regular here that would have looked at the anecdotes coming out about Clinton refusing to address working class white voters, ignoring the advice of senior democrats (Bill, Obama, Rendell) or failing to step outside of blue state metro areas at ALL and said "yeah this is fine, YAAAS QUEEN."

I would have been screaming from the rafters in panic. PA should have been safe, but it's not THAT safe.

I have a lot of anger, but it's not at trump, it's not at trump voters, and it's not at blue state democrats. It's at a campaign that had it's head head firmly lodged up it's own ass.

I like the articles coming out because it gives me some faith that there wasn't some massive irreversible wave that renders the country firmly out of democratic range for years- it was simple bad campaigning and a bad candidate that screwed the pooch, and these are things we can fix in time for 2020.

I see this thread is still reliving and upset about a week ago. I think it's high time we moved on and direct out anger and energy and things that actually matter right now.

Like holding Trump accountable, Getting involved and getting others involved in local and state elections, and just being more engaged.

Frankly I think the only good thing about a Trump Presidency is it'll show to never be complacent, keep the younger people engaged and watchful.

I think post-mortem analysis will continue until the autopsy report drops. It's fine to chew on the million things that went wrong. We learn from mistakes. In this case for example, hiring Mook was a bad idea and future candidates are warned.

Boke1879

I think post-mortem analysis will continue until the autopsy report drops. It's fine to chew on the million things that went wrong. We learn from mistakes. In this case for example, hiring Mook was a bad idea and future candidates are warned.

That's completely fair, but I refuse to and want this place to also be about calling out fellow posters of like minded goals to simply say "I told you so"

I still think the problem was with Clinton and not Mook. She wanted to run for President without having to do a ton of campaign stops. Mook thought they could make that work by focusing on urban areas and making up for it with TV coverage. It would've worked if not for the Comey letter. If I blame Robbie for anything its that he didn't force his candidate to accept that she couldn't become President while giving a B effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom