• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the set of Morning Joe is completely missing why so many people are upset and protesting.

It's not just "shock" that Hilary didn't win. It's "fear" that we elected a mysongist xenophobic racist for President who could set us back a half-century in terms of civil rights and equality.

Shhhhh, you're not allowed to say that. Calling racist, sexist people racist and sexist means you're a purity troll who doesn't want to build bridges with those poor, forgotten white Rust Belt voters.

Pixieking

Banned
Shhhhh, you're not allowed to say that. Calling racist, sexist people racist and sexist means you're a purity troll who doesn't want to build bridges with those poor, forgotten white Rust Belt voters.

Blah. You can be racist, uneducated and ignorant but still be concerned about your job and the drug epidemic. I think a lot of people ignored that they were voting for a black man when voting Obama, in the hopes of jobs and better days. This is the racists going and voting for a racist who wanted to help them, instead of a non-racist who wanted to help them.

But, just because someone's racist, does not mean that's the defining feature of their personality. Appeal to the part of them that wants work, that's all. You won't ever get the Klan members, but you'll get the people who are too clueless to understand anything more than "Blacks have more rights and I don't have a job, therefore cause and effect". All you need to do is get them to realise that they've been lied to by Trump and the GOP.

Serious question: How many organisations out there actually exist to educate voters about the system they're in? Flint voted GOP, when their kids are dying because of the GOP. That's got nothing to do with racism or the anti-Hillary movement, and everything to do with being played by the establishment keeping them uninformed (I think, anyways).

lolol

It will slowly eat at Trump over time, though. He got such a damn free pass from the media on most things, but when you're actually in office you're under scrutiny continuously. Sadly he'll never actually blame himself since he's not capable of that emotion. It'll just be losers protesting or "thugs" or seriously any damn excuse.

Edit: His inauguration should be an... interesting event.

It's going to be so much fun when it's the @POTUS account sending these! Maybe Obama will do the world a favor and change the password on his last day.

Pixieking

Banned
https://twitter.com/i/moments/796898578388152320?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Abuse now normalised.

1. I was speaking Spanish on the phone a few min ago in North Phoenix and a man was glaring at me. When I hung up, he said, "Speak English!"

2. I've lived in AZ for 4 years, spoken Spanish countless times - my daughter and I only speak Portuguese to each other. This never happened

3. I told him I speak four languages and he told me to fuck off. He was a white older man, maybe old enough to be my father. I'm shaking

4. I'm quick to say Arizona has been great to me and my family. As an immigrant and NYT reporter, I've never felt unwelcome. Today I did.

Pixieking

Banned
Seriously, his Presidency is going to set race relations back decades. Along with so many other things.

(Sailing close to the wind with what's bannable, but this isn't meant to be a drive-by post...)

More and more I think I genuinely want an uprising. Not armed specifically, but a national large-scale uprising against what Trump represents. Make it clear that it's not against Trump, but the things he says and has allowed to be normalised. Because at this rate, you're going to be Nazi Germany in less than 4 years, and you need to put a lid on the hate or deal with the consequences (which will include violence on both the government's side, and the public's.)

I don't know how I'm going to do it today, guys. I've slept maybe 12 hours out of the past 72. I'm supposed to go out to a farmers' market with my girlfriend today and if I see a trump sticker in a car window I don't think I'll be able to resist just smashing it. I've never been this pissed off for remotely this long before. The compulsion to violence is really strong.

sazzy

I wonder how the media and Donald's aides and spokespeople are going to say now when he acts erratic, petty and impulsive.

There's going to be no more "But look at Hillary!" from now on.

Debirudog

(Sailing close to the wind with what's bannable, but this isn't meant to be a drive-by post...)

More and more I think I genuinely want an uprising. Not armed specifically, but a national large-scale uprising against what Trump represents. Make it clear that it's not against Trump, but the things he says and has allowed to be normalised. Because at this rate, you're going to be Nazi Germany in less than 4 years, and you need to put a lid on the hate or deal with the consequences (which will include violence on both the government's side, and the public's.)

I agree, we can't ever grow numb with what he says for this country. The entire nation would need to make a peaceful yet stern and loud protest against him and his beliefs.

Boke1879

Yup that's the biggest thing to me. How a lot of these people are about to come out of the woodwork. I witnessed it at work yesterday. I work in a retirement home pretty much.

It was the cook and someone from management. Both white. They were talking about insurance and Obamacare and how you shouldn't be fined for not having insurance.

Then the cook goes "but Trump is going to do something about it!"

Then outta nowhere the cook just says "Learn to speak English. Go back to your country you hate us anyway." No reason for her to say that at all.

I just said "don't talk about or bring shit like that up at work while I'm here."

I wonder if Trump will send the National Guard to California when they just start ignoring federal laws passed by Trump they don't like.

California seems itching for a fight. Being the largest state and one of the richest, it has a lot of weight to swing around, and it knows it.

Blah. You can be racist, uneducated and ignorant but still be concerned about your job and the drug epidemic. I think a lot of people ignored that they were voting for a black man when voting Obama, in the hopes of jobs and better days. This is the racists going and voting for a racist who wanted to help them, instead of a non-racist who wanted to help them.

But, just because someone's racist, does not mean that's the defining feature of their personality. Appeal to the part of them that wants work, that's all. You won't ever get the Klan members, but you'll get the people who are too clueless to understand anything more than "Blacks have more rights and I don't have a job, therefore cause and effect". All you need to do is get them to realise that they've been lied to by Trump and the GOP.

I don't think these people can be reached. Their views on Economic issues are informed by their views on Social issues. They didn't look past Trump's racism and sexism, they agreed with it. They don't want left wing economic policy. Raising the minimum wage, paid leave for new parents, higher taxes on the wealthy, single payer healthcare, etc. are all lefty, communist, wealth redistribution.

Trump's economic populism is just as Authoritarian as his social views. Punish companies that send jobs overseas, start trade wars (if not real wars) with countries that aren't giving us fair deals, punish the states that protect the immigrants who've lived and worked there their whole lives, punish women who can't afford to support a child, etc. That is the Trump voters' idea of economics that helps the little guy.

You can tell them how their plight is the same as that of working class people of color until you're blue in the face, but it'll fall on deaf ears. In fact, they may be insulted that you're comparing them to those lazy brown people.

Serious question: How many organisations out there actually exist to educate voters about the system they're in? Flint voted GOP, when their kids are dying because of the GOP. That's got nothing to do with racism or the anti-Hillary movement, and everything to do with being played by the establishment keeping them uninformed (I think, anyways).

But it is not about economic anxiety or jobs. The counties with the best employment growth since 2010 voted 70% for Trump. These are people who are fine with Medicare but do not want Obamacare because it will be used by brown people.

As to Flint, my guess is because the government did not actually do anything to help them so they were discouraged from voting for any government.

dramatis

This is what I thought the election would be, that people would turn out to repudiate everything Trump has stood for.

People didn't care.

HariKari

This is what I thought the election would be, that people would turn out to repudiate everything Trump has stood for.

People didn't care.

It takes an equally bad (in different ways) candidate in your own camp to accomplish people "not caring" at the level they did.

The sad thing is that people did turn out. They just voted for Trump.

Trump is about to break the Healthcare system. My only hope is that the fucking accelerationists are right.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder if Trump will send the National Guard to California when they just start ignoring federal laws passed by Trump they don't like.

California seems itching for a fight. Being the largest state and one of the richest, it has a lot of weight to swing around, and it knows it.

"States' rights!" -- GOP, before 2017

Diablos

motherfucker. high risk pools, are you fucking kidding me. people are going to die.
Crushing. I think a lot of soft Trump voters are going to be sorry when they learn that people are going to die while their premiums would still be on the rise despite a gutting if not outright repeal of the ACA.

Or they'll be especially sorry if they get older, realize it's time to grow up and get back on their insurance but get denied due to a pre-existing condition.

America committed suicide at the ballot box.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I know a lot of people joke about moving to Canada, but I seriously won't be able to afford to live here. Lower-middle income and four children. I need to find another country to live in. I'm a high school math/English teacher. Any suggestions?

Can't wait for Trump to call Warren pocahontas on the POTUS twitter account when she starts fighting him.

I know a lot of people joke about moving to Canada, but I seriously won't be able to afford to live here. Lower-middle income and four children. I need to find another country to live in. I'm a high school math/English teacher. Any suggestions

I can't say Europe as they look poised to descend into a far right bloc soon as well.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I know a lot of people joke about moving to Canada, but I seriously won't be able to afford to live here. Lower-middle income and four children. I need to find another country to live in. I'm a high school math/English teacher. Any suggestions?

New Zealand is pretty cheap to live. Dead boring, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Actually McCaskill is retiring, right? Can she step down early and have Nixon appoint kander? Lol

Pixieking

Banned
You can tell them how their plight is the same as that of working class people of color until you're blue in the face, but it'll fall on deaf ears. In fact, they may be insulted that you're comparing them to those lazy brown people.

Thing is, you shouldn't be comparing them to working class people of colour, you should be attacking them on their reasons for voting. "Trump said he'd bring jobs to your community. Has he? Trump said he'd get rid of the heroin epidemic. Has he?" Get them to realise that Trump is just the same as Hillary (but racist), and you can get them to jump to someone else (unless racism is what the care about, in which case, they're essentially Klan members). Or maybe not vote at all, because they're so disenfranchised with the system. Prove to them with their own experience that Trump is a fat cat, if only to destroy Trump.

But it is not about economic anxiety or jobs. The counties with the best employment growth since 2010 voted 70% for Trump. These are people who are fine with Medicare but do not want Obamacare because it will be used by brown people.

As to Flint, my guess is because the government did not actually do anything to help them so they were discouraged from voting for any government.

1) Essentially racists then... How easy it is to flip the counties will be how many of them are actual racists, vs how many have racist tendencies but are willing to do something if they think they're getting more out of it. People are selfish, so... Appeal to that selfishness.

2) Well, Genesee County had just under 60% voter turn-out, but I'm still working out where Flint specifically fits into that. Would say you're right, though, but the fact that the GOP still won it means not everyone was disenfranchised by the water situation.

People didn't care.

Yup. I wrote a post yesterday saying that we need to instill in people the belief that just because I don't care about my vote, it doesn't mean that other people don't. I wouldn't have thought you'd need to hammer empathy into such a large amount of people, but here we are.

sazzy

Australia.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Australia.

Australia is just as racist as the US. Better job climate, but if you're looking for a progressive country that's not it.

New Zealand's not amazing, but if we're do Anglosphere racism rankings it's something like Canada > New Zealand > United Kingdom > Australia > United States.

John Key is rightwing, but of the oldschool Romney business variety, and he depends for support on the minority Maori Party, which constrains him at least a little. He's also a complete moron and manages to fumble more of his evil schemes than he passes.

I've lived in all of these bar Canada, so I rely on hearsay for that one.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Both Schumer and Warren support Ellison for DNC chair

Good. I do really hope he considers taking the post full-time. I know technically it would be a blow to lose a man of his stature from the House, but having a black Muslim American progressive as the chair of the Democratic National Committee is exactly what I want to see in Trump's brave new world.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think your signs are the wrong way around.
Australia is racist in the same way that America is racist. One Nation/Bob Katter country isn't Melbourne or Sydney. But then you're looking for somewhere cheap to live so.
Also, Key is going to rely on Winston Peters for his next term.

I don't know about that, I was born in Sydney and there's a shit ton of casual racism there. Worse than most places I've lived.

When he has openly talked about what he'll do? The only hope here is to hope he isn't as bad as what he said he is.

But Authoritarian isn't simply interchangeable with the word "bigot" or "racist" or "misogynist". The question was asked in the context of whether or not he will permit an election in four years, as though it's a given he will be dismissing the constitution and grabbing for further powers. I'm asking if it's not premature to assume that.

Pixieking

Banned

International Teaching is a thing, but your four kids may be an issue. A lot of international schools will pay for dependent flight and healthcare, but only for partner and one or two kids.

Nothing to say that you can't do it though. Math and English Teachers are fairly sought after, and the American Curriculum runs in a fair number of international schools. The country I'm in now (Jordan) has at least one large decent American school. You may have to broaden horizons, professionally (maybe look at what the IGCSE or IB has in common with the American system, and retrain a little). Also, the fact that you could do two subjects is good. My wife's a Secondary Maths Teacher (UK Curriculum), and we're looking at opportunities for next year.

Paywise, my wife's on the equivalent of $28k a year, and the school pays an accommodation and utilities allowance on top of that. The only downside is the countries - Jordan is decent (for a Middle Eastern country). Kuwait is a hellhole. Qatar and UAE are good for the money, but very restrictive. But that's just the Middle East - there's a ton of international schools out there. One head of Secondary we know has been in the country for about 10 years, so you can make a life out of it.

Edit: What I say there about Middle Eastern countries could be misinterpreted. Jordan has plenty to see and do, but the people can be rude, and women can be made to feel unwelcome. It's also pretty dirty. Kuwait is just a tip - nothing to do but shop and eat, and the Kuwaiti people are horribly racist. Garbage everywhere, Western women are made especially unwelcome, and... I could go on.

Check out

http://www.seekteachers.com/
https://www.teachaway.com/
http://www.teachanywhere.com/
https://www.tes.com/

(Though that last is I think more UK oriented?)

Second down-side, actually - the school you work for can be great or awful. My wife's workplace went from great to garbage in the space of 4 months, because of a new string of senior staff starting this academic year. :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is going to become the Republicans' bitch. If everyone keeps criticizing him and poking at him he's going to go nuts. If he goes crazy enough he could start losing a lot of support. Hillary is gone now and he'll have to try and find a new boogeyman, and that will be either the media or other Republicans.

I put the chances that he'll get impeached before the end of his 1st term at 50%.

The Republicans have nothing to lose, Pence would become president.

Diablos

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is going to become the Republicans' bitch. If everyone keeps criticizing him and poking at him he's going to go nuts. If he goes crazy enough he could start losing a lot of support. Hillary is gone now and he'll have to try and find a new boogeyman, and that will be either the media or other Republicans.

I put the chances that he'll get impeached before the end of his 1st term at 50%.

The Republicans have nothing to lose, Pence would become president.
Yeah, Pence is an upgrade. Not that it takes much.

Pixieking

Banned
Given what we know about Trump, I think he'll grope a woman within his first year, and the Dems will jump for him to be impeached. Payback's a bitch and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom