• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Glad to see Ellison is committed to doing this full time. If he can tweak a few things on his platform and prevent bullshit like this from happening (that's on the DNC right?) then I'll be happy :)

EDIT: Man there are some bad "hot takes" in the OT thread on this subject >_<

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Glad to see Ellison is committed to doing this full time. If he can tweak a few things on his platform and prevent bullshit like this from happening (that's on the DNC right?) then I'll be happy :)

Yeah, apparently 400+ DNC Voters made it clear that the DNC Chair needs to be full time. So at least it appears they are taking this seriously.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Part DNC and part DCCC. The DNC is more focused on distributing funds directly to the candidates, and general organization efforts while the DCCC is more responsible for directly campaigning and researching on behalf of the candidates.

They also both have a way to put a finger on the scale for primaries, with the DNC being in control of primary rules, and the DCCC having the ability to publicly back a primary candidate.

As leader of the democratic party in the house, Nancy Pelosi appoints the chair of the DCCC, so that wont change, but maybe there's something to having a more traditional DCCC as a counter to a more radical DNC chair, like in the age of Dean and Emanuel.

geomon

Terry Branstad, Iowa Governor, Is Trump&#8217;s Pick as China Ambassador

As ambassador, Mr. Branstad would find himself in the middle of an increasingly fraught relationship. Mr. Trump campaigned against China, repeatedly describing Chinese imports to the United States as a form of theft. He has proposed a steep tariff on those imports and promised to seek vigorous enforcement of trade rules, such as restrictions on state support for private companies.

The selection also comes just days after Mr. Trump spoke with Taiwan&#8217;s president by phone, prompting criticism from Beijing, which regards Taiwan as a breakaway province. Mr. Trump then defended the call in a pair of Twitter messages criticizing China for its trade practices and provocative moves in the South China Sea.

I almost feel bad for this guy. It's going to be his job to make sure Trump and his twitter account doesn't start an economic cold war with China (we would lose, big league).

Pyrokai

Obama likely won't want to do such a thing, even if they should.

I just don't understand why. A functioning Supreme Court could literally save this country. I don't think Obama/Biden want the country to sink into disaster, and it almost assuredly will with Trump's picks. Imagine the legacy of pre-preemptively saving the country from Trump...

Please stay with us, RGB, Breyer, and Kennedy : (

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just don't understand why. A functioning Supreme Court could literally save this country. I don't think they want the country to sink into disaster, and it almost assuredly will with Trump's picks.

Obama's always been a classy dude and this isn't. I suppose it's all on how Biden feels about it though, would be one hell of a baller move on his part.

Allard

I just don't understand why. A functioning Supreme Court could literally save this country. I don't think Obama/Biden want the country to sink into disaster, and it almost assuredly will with Trump's picks. Imagine the legacy of pre-preemptively saving the country from Trump...

It also puts Garland in a position where he is seen as a disenfranchising/controversial justice which in a lot of eyes would damage the proceedings of the Supreme Court and legitimacy (in the minds of "More" Americans) than it already is now. Part of me says he should do it though after all the crap he has had to put up with Republicans its a nice going away present, but I also think Garland's tenure on the court, however long it might be, would damage it for the foreseeable future even if unjustified. But if he does go through with it I will simply say this, he is constitutionally capable of nominating and asking for a vote in the senate, the senate didn't do there job, so he is doing it for them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It also puts Garland in a position where he is seen as a disenfranchising/controversial justice which in a lot of eyes would damage the proceedings of the Supreme Court and legitimacy (in the minds of "More" Americans) than it already is now. Part of me says he should do it though after all the crap he has had to put up with Republicans its a nice going away present, but I also think Garland's tenure on the court, however long it might be, would damage it for the foreseeable future even if unjustified. But if he does go through with it I will simply say this, he is constitutionally capable of nominating and asking for a vote in the senate, the senate didn't do there job, so he is doing it for them.

Well, it's not like history is going to look back at us kindly anyway given what we just elected president so that damage is already done. Also the precedent that's set by allowing the GOP to do this is going to be hugely damaging in it's own right. There's already going to be a bunch of people who see Trump's pick as completely illegitimate.

I agree we probably shouldn't do it, but I will say if I was in Joe Biden's shoes I would most certainly be tempted.

I just hope Keith Ellison knows what is required to mount an effective strategy. I'm hoping for the very best and hopefully he will out-Dean Dean.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not 100% sure but probably just a special election a few months after his resignation.

He won like 70% of the vote this election and another 10% went to the Legalize Marijuana Party candidate. Democrats don't need to worry about his seat.

I mean, it's a House seat so it probably is just a special election.

EDIT: A quick check on the Minnesota SoS website shows that if someone dies or leaves office they have a special election. Judging by the dates listed, it'll probably be February 8 or 9 giving the timing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I think we need to stop thinking like this, quite honestly. To these people, anything done by a liberal, regardless of context, is already illegitimate. These people's opinions of us are not going to get better. We should just say "fuck it" and do whatever we can to actually make things better

Wait are we down to 50K across all 3 states?

Something like that. Maybe a bit higher.

This is such complete fucking bullshit

I can't believe this

omg

@clairecmc
Funniest secret Santa gift? Al Franken got a Chia Donald Trump.

CzGYZNEXEAATxkE.jpg:large

kirblar

I think we need to stop thinking like this, quite honestly. To these people, anything done by a liberal, regardless of context, is already illegitimate. These people's opinions of us are not going to get better. We should just say "fuck it" and do whatever we can to actually make things better
Cosigned.

GOP doesn't get flack/pushback for their stunts. Stop worrying about optics and start actually getting shit done.

Kid Heart

I agree. Garland deserved to at least have his hearing, so I'm not against using underhanded methods to fight underhanded methods. It might teach the GOP to think twice about stalling too if it means they get zero input into the supreme court candidate.

None of this will happen anyway though, so I'm not going to stress about it too much

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It almost does makes me think she really would've won without the Comey BS. That or just putting a bit more attention in the midwest, but the %ge by which she lost makes it reasonable that she would've won if Comey's letter doesn't come out .

The loss was so small and so concentrated that literally any positive change would have swung the election. Maybe if she didn't get sick, maybe if Comey hadn't sent the letter, maybe if she spent an extra day in the area, maybe if there hadn't been a 26 year campaign of hate against her.

That's why seeing this as a reason to do a full-scale overhaul of the party's policy and platform is silly. You could slot Gillibrand into Clinton's campaign and she would have won by virtue of not being Clinton.

Vixdean

I know well educated democrats who actually follow politics to a certain degree take pause after the Comey letter. They eventually voted for Hillary but delayed for a few days until it was clear the whole thing was bullshit. That shit definitely had an impact.

I mean, it's a House seat so it probably is just a special election.

EDIT: A quick check on the Minnesota SoS website shows that if someone dies or leaves office they have a special election. Judging by the dates listed, it'll probably be February 8 or 9 giving the timing.
Depends on when he would give up his seat. He might wait until after the election unless he knows it's in the bag for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom