• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof, sorry. I was basing this on the Hannity mention above. Apologies on his actual charitable works I blanked on. A case of "I'm uncertain who the man is vs the character."We already had this? I'm surprised it's never come up.

It's been inactive for 5 years. It was basically specialized entry/exit tracking for visitors coming in from 24 Muslim countries and NK, which GWB admin argued was not targeting Muslims specifically. Obama admin stopped using it in 2011 (partially because it was superseded by more fine-grained entry/exit tracking systems). I did see about half a dozen pieces here and there about it in the last few weeks but no, it didn't get much media play.

Can we make Reid vice chair or something?

I hate the fact that he is retiring. His machine in Nevada is like the only swing state that actually delivered this election.

Keith has some good ideas, but it would be best if had Harry and Howard helping with state and local races while having Obama helping with POTUS stuff.

I really hope the rumors that Obama was too afraid of firing DWS because she threatened to throw anti-semitism at him if he did it weren't true

The leader of our party can't let little incompetent shit for brains like her hijack our party with that sort of bullshit.

On one hand I hate all the vitriol that BernieBros and Conservatives throw at Shultz, but on the other hand there is no denying that she was one of the worst DNC Chairmans I have ever witnessed.

I'm sure the real reason Obama didn't fire Shultz is because he was falling for the Rahm Emanuel side of the Democratic Party. The side saying "Don't waste time on what we think are safe races. Just focus on the most competitive races".

I really hope the rumors that Obama was too afraid of firing DWS because she threatened to throw anti-semitism at him if he did it weren't true

The leader of our party can't let little incompetent shit for brains like her hijack our party with that sort of bullshit.

I mean, she probably did threaten to do that. But that's probably not why he decided to keep her. If true, it's just embarrassingly sad on Obama's part.

I think the real reason Obama left her in as chair is because if nothing else she's a great fundraiser. That's really her only redeeming quality. After the 2012 and 2008 campaign, Obama loaded the DNC up with his and Clinton's campaign debt, leaving is devastated financially. He probably thought "Whatever. She's bring in money to make up for it so it's all good."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Stop talking about celebrities.

Obama should just leave a locked file cabinet labeled "MUSLIMS 'N MEXICANS" in the Oval Office and hide the key.That'll distract Trump for at least a year.
GBaUCPC.gif

Cena seems more or less centrist on the issues, but has a sense of decency, so he'd fall more into our camp than theirs.

#PoliticsIn2016

I don't want Cena to run for president or think he's super liberal, but he seems like he could actually win an election in Florida which is hard to say for most Democrats in Florida.

I don't want Cena to run for president or think he's super liberal, but he seems like he could actually win an election in Florida which is hard to say for most Democrats in Florida.

It's mostly just funny to talk about John Cena of all people running for office.

But yeah, Dems need to start picking their candidates better. Like, let's stop running Strickland for stuff in Ohio, cut ties with Crist, all those losers. Is it that these guys are all we have, or do we go to them first? Because if it's the latter that shit's gotta stop.

It's mostly just funny to talk about John Cena of all people running for office.

But yeah, Dems need to start picking their candidates better. Like, let's stop running Strickland for stuff in Ohio, cut ties with Crist, all those losers. Is it that these guys are all we have, or do we go to them first? Because if it's the latter that shit's gotta stop.

Kinda hard to cut ties with Charlie Crist when he's now a member of congress.

Kusagari

Crist is better than 99.9% of Florida Dems. He keeps getting picked because he literally is the best option.

jtb

Banned
Crist is fine.

What Strickland's failure shows (along with Bayh and Feingold) is that 6 years is way too long to wait for a re-tread. Politics is "what have you done for me lately?"

Like, I don't think that Patrick Murphy did better than a wet piece of bread would have done....

And his only competitor was Alan Grayson...

What Strickland's failure shows (along with Bayh and Feingold) is that 6 years is way too long to wait for a re-tread. Politics is "what have you done for me lately?"

Bayh did very well for a loser fuckup that no one likes. Outran Hillary by 10 points.

The whole Reid quote about the DNC, for those who enjoy static:

Honestly I still think the "full time" obsession is misplaced. The previous DNC was terrible because she wasn't qualified for the job, didn't do the job, and had no interest in doing the job; to the point she subtly favored republican friends over democrat challengers in local Florida elections. She was a terrible choice and whoever comes next, from Ellison to Perez, will be better; apparently Hogue dropped out the race yesterday.

The other problem with direct Nevada comparisons is that it's a machine politics state: the unions run the show. How many states can be compared to Nevada in that respect today? Not many. Maybe that should convince democrats that supporting (certain) unions and making them stronger is a good idea.

The DNC is far too focused on a national identity/individual (Obama) and needs to focus more on appealing to the local politics of the state. Obviously Obama is very popular with democrats but if you're a democrat in Missouri you suffer from a national DNC message on gun control, for instance.

Honestly I still think the "full time" obsession is misplaced. The previous DNC was terrible because she wasn't qualified for the job, didn't do the job, and had no interest in doing the job; to the point she subtly favored republican friends over democrat challengers in local Florida elections. She was a terrible choice and whoever comes next, from Ellison to Perez, will be better; apparently Hogue dropped out the race yesterday.

The other problem with direct Nevada comparisons is that it's a machine politics state: the unions run the show. How many states can be compared to Nevada in that respect today? Not many. Maybe that should convince democrats that supporting (certain) unions and making them stronger is a good idea.

The DNC is far too focused on a national identity/individual (Obama) and needs to focus more on appealing to the local politics of the state. Obviously Obama is very popular with democrats but if you're a democrat in Missouri you suffer from a national DNC message on gun control, for instance.

That's the thing, though. If the chair has a full-time job elsewhere, that will likely always take priority over a part-time job. If it's full-time, there are no other day to day interests or campaigning or obligations outside of the core position.

The whole Reid quote about the DNC, for those who enjoy static:

I like the energy here, but don't make the mistake of thinking what works in Nevada will work elsewhere. Nevada has unique features that make running the Reid machine a bit easier (chiefly that most of their population is in Vegas and Reno). States that are spread out would be a different ball game.

geomon

Transition Team’s Request on Gender Equality Rattles State Dept.

President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition team this week asked employees at the State Department to submit details of programs aimed at promoting gender equality, including a list of the positions primarily focused on such issues, fanning fears within the agency that the incoming administration might roll back a cornerstone initiative of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The one-page memo, a copy of which was provided to The New York Times, asks for a summary “outlining existing programs and activities to promote gender equality, such as ending gender-based violence, promoting women’s participation in economic and political spheres, entrepreneurship, etc.”

It also asks for information on positions dedicated to those activities, as well as how much funding was directed to these programs in 2016. The responses were due by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, the same day the questionnaire was circulated within the department.

First they came for the Scientists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Scientist.

Then they came for the Gender Equality Supporters...

Debirudog

Well, when Ellison was willing to give up his position if it meant for a full-time job, it's just a sign that he's committed to the party. Both sides of the left seem to think he's qualified for the job as well.

Can we add Memphis and New Orleans to Mississippi?

Like... the geography works and it would help turn three solid red states into two absurdly red states and one blue state.

.... It would be nice :(

Transition Team’s Request on Gender Equality Rattles State Dept.

First they came for the Scientists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Scientist.

Then they came for the Gender Equality Supporters...

I'm a little concerned at how the State Dept spokesman kind of shrugged it off as being an ordinary request. I'm sure requests about programs, budget and personnel are typical... It sounds like they're fine with complying with this one.

kess

Honestly, Trump's comments on nuclear weapons seems like an opening for H. W. Bush to comment -- dude was for nuclear nonproliferation, right?

Of course, he won't.

Just listened to a piece on NPR about Cali Dems preparing for Trump. Actual fucking spines, none of the "we will find ways to work with them" bs like other Dems. One quote was, "We don't need healing, we need to fight." Need to get back to Cali ASAP.

Debirudog

Just listened to a piece on NPR about Cali Dems preparing for Trump. Actual fucking spines, none of the "we will find ways to work with them" bs like other Dems. One quote was, "We don't need healing, we need to fight." Need to get back to Cali ASAP.

The first nuclear test on a state would be Cali.

In a way, it's just fucking weird how our politics are now:

Dems: "Let us tax people in New York and California more so that people in Kentucky can have health insurance."

GOP: "No."

The tax policies of the GOP and Democrats make zero sense considering which states they win.

In a way, it's just fucking weird how our politics are now:

Dems: "Let us tax people in New York and California more so that people in Kentucky can have health insurance."

GOP: "No."

The tax policies of the GOP and Democrats make zero sense considering which states they win.

US Politics has been hyperpartisan for at least 2 decades, mostly thanks to the GOP becoming the party of "Fuck the democrats".

Best democrat state party in the country. And Jerry Brown is probably the best, most effective liberal politician of the last 20-30 years. Saved California twice...pretty impressive resume.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Well yeah it's California which is filled with many liberals, and loads of them very rich. Seriously they are the one of the few states that can actually do it. If you live in bum-fuck no-where and are broke you can't do shit.

If Jerry Brown wasn't even older than Biden he would be the perfect nominee for 2020.

But I think one of the potential benefits of having Kamala Harris as the nominee in 2020 would be getting to directly tie herself to the well liked Jerry Brown.

Honestly, Trump's comments on nuclear weapons seems like an opening for H. W. Bush to comment -- dude was for nuclear nonproliferation, right?
Every president since and including Reagan has sought strategic nuclear arms reduction. We don't need to force a 92 year old man out of his wheelchair to comment on politics when the modern Schlafly-Limbaugh goon squad considers him a traitor anyway. The only person you'll impress is David Frum.
Of course he won't.
jzCl1PL.jpg

Best democrat state party in the country. And Jerry Brown is probably the best, most effective liberal politician of the last 20-30 years. Saved California twice...pretty impressive resume.
Also simultaneously the oldest and youngest governor in California history!

Trump tries to act like a smart businessman.

Every weapons reporters' head explodes because he compares two fighter jets which are completely different.

Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!

that's...impossible. That's impossible.

The F-18 doesn't have a stealthy body.

The F-35...does. It's the one thing it does right.

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/812062865154834432

kess

Every president since and including Reagan has sought strategic nuclear arms reduction. We don't need to force a 92 year old man out of his wheelchair to comment on politics when the modern Schlafly-Limbaugh goon squad considers him a traitor anyway. The only person you'll impress is David Frum.
jzCl1PL.jpg

Also simultaneously the oldest and youngest governor in California history!

I'll take anything we can get before Trump gets inaugurated, honestly. And who the fuck is Jeff Bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom