• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooof Obama's gonna approve the Dakota Access Pipeline

When it rains it fucking pours.

I hope he comes out explaining he got something out of it by doing it now instead of waiting and just letting Trump do it... cause if not ugh.
Not a good way to go out. Going up against Natives when nobody else besides the company is on the other side? yikes

Debirudog

Hillary lost states that Obama won. But racism.

Build a wall and deport mexican families were one of the biggest things that people wanted. These guys see nothing wrong with it because they're "illegal immigrants."

EDIT: Biggest wtf moment for Obama. Really not a good way to end things.

Marist played at Duke tonight in the college basketball opener. They wore rainbow socks.

Brant Wilkerson-New ‏@BrantGNR
Marist coach Mike Maker said players' rainbow socks were indeed a show of unity against HB2. Says he's proud of them.

ampere

The election has hit everyone hard. My faith in this country has been almost completely shattered. I am in a near constant state of despair and rage in the normalization of hate and the haste with which people just want to sweep that under the rug. And I am a straight white male. I "won". I can't even imagine life right now as someone who doesn't the same privileges I do.

The primary pool was weak and that hurt the democrats, I think everyone can agree with that. Biden and Warren should have been in there. Hopefully we never see that mistake again.

I have spent almost my whole day in this thread. I should be doing other things with my life but it is so hard to focus on anything else now. The point I've wanted to get across is simple. We are in this together. The path ahead will be a horror show, but it is now unavoidable.

I'm pretty much exactly the same as you right now. Straight white male, but having panic attacks and hyperventilating over this shit. I'm able bodied and I know it's my responsibility to help those who will suffer the most from this, but fuck if I'm not a total wreck right now. Doesn't help that my insurance just switched and I still need to get a new doctor so I don't have an easy therapy option right now.

I'm sure that this has been said many times already but I need to vent a bit.

People in this country that voted for Trump made it loud and clear to the deplorables that it's ok to be themselves and that since our president acts and conducts himself in that same way that it should be tolerated everywhere. It's fucking embarrassing and it shows the US in such an unflattering light. We went from Obama who was charismatic, understanding, progressive, and cool to someone who uses the term "bigly", fights with people on Twitter, is a compulsive liar, has no experience in governing anything, and has no idea what he's doing.

So the people who are preaching unity and to just accept this are so full of shit and don't care about anyone else's problems. He is giving bigots on all spectrums power to suppress and harm marginalized groups and for someone to sit there and shrug and tell us to just accept this is infuriating. We have a right to protest, we have the right to say we don't accept Trump as the next president, and we have the right to protect our country from going backwards and to show the groups that are getting shit on the most that we care and that we will fight along side them against bigotry, hate, sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia in any way we can.

You can choose not to care but don't expect eveyone else to follow your lead.

PREACH.

Things. Are. Not. OK. We should not be singing songs of joy as this harassment and bigotry continues. Our fight is about to get much much harder, and we absolutely cannot stop.

ampere

He just plain outworked Clinton and decidedly won the election. He's much smarter than anyone gives him credit for.

Don't underestimate him.

Sarcasm? He won because of bigoted voters, Russian interference, FBI interference, and the media being a 24/7 advertisement for him

Marist played at Duke tonight in the college basketball opener. They wore rainbow socks.

Is Basketball like the only progressive sport?

I realllly need to become a B-Ball fan again as I said this before.

Haven't really followed since Jordan.

On my list so far Spurs, Warriors, Pistons, Cavaliers, Bulls out of old habit and Raptors cause Canada...

I mean. It's just a thought granted. Probably a silly one at that. But why not instead go elsewhere to fish for votes. Getting people that didn't vote to fuck over swathes of people. Getting more of them. Getting bigger margins of them. Instead of talking up a fundamental reorganisation in what the party is about to try and siphon off a tiny sliver of what the likes of Trump are simply better suited to.

I feel I need to add here it doesn't mean forgetting about helping coal country or the rust belt or rural white people.

You're right that they should be targeted during primaries, local & states elections and general elections. It must be considered though, that depending on where they are, you may end up winning the popular vote again and losing the election.

I have considered getting involved in politics before but I wouldn't get elected because, well, you know. Also I'm not a people person.

For everyone else I guess there was a sense of complacency under Obama while conservatives had the fire in their guts?
Pretty sure this is why the party of the incumbent president does poorly at midterms typically.

Diablos

If Jeffrey Eisenach is working with Trump, Net Neutrality is doomed.

How much longer until being a cord cutter is more expensive?

lednerg

Look if you want to continue to believe that racism didn't play a hand.. have fun in 2020.

Okay. The Clintons enacted racist policies during their time in power. That played a role, sure.

Another take. Saying you can't be racist if you voted for Obama is as dumb as saying Obama winning means we were in a post racial society.

Then I don't want to hear about how "Bernie bros" are sexists.

Is Basketball like the only progressive sport?

I realllly need to become a B-Ball fan again as I said this before.

Haven't really followed since Jordan.

On my list so far Spurs, Warriors, Pistons, Cavaliers, Bulls out of old habit and Raptors cause Canada...

Basketball is great, hop on.

It's nice to finally see CNN have pieces like "How Doable Is Trump's To-Do List?" 3 days after the election.

I guess they can't talk about emails anymore so have to fill the time with some filler.

Okay. The Clintons enacted racist policies during their time in power. That played a role, sure.

Then I don't want to hear about how "Bernie bros" are sexists.

Do you actually want to have a conversation or just have everyone grovel at your feet to be allowed into whatever party you think you're building.

Sarcasm? He won because of bigoted voters, Russian interference, FBI interference, and the media being a 24/7 advertisement for him
In the same way I don't blame the refs for a loss when my favorite team loses (even if they completely blew a pivotal call at the end of the game), I'm not going to blame this loss on these external factors. It's more productive too look at why the democrats lost so that they don't make those same mistakes in the future.

Also, you're totally right, Trump played the media. He used those propaganda arms to his advantage. Again, very intelligent guy in some ways. This doesn't proclude him from being a major bigoted asshole, of course.

Like do you actually want to expand on this. Are you really attributing white people turning to Trump to things like the 90s Biden Bill? Do you actually want to discuss anything. At all? Because otherwise message loud and clear. We get it. You hate that bitch. Good god.

Debirudog

In the same way I don't blame the refs for a loss when my favorite team loses (even if they completely blew a pivotal call at the end of the game), I'm not going to blame this loss on these external factors. It's more productive too look at why the democrats lost so that they don't make those same mistakes in the future.

Also, you're totally right, Trump played the media. He used those propaganda arms to his advantage. Again, very intelligent guy in some ways. This doesn't proclude him from being a major bigoted asshole, of course.

...Refs are part of the game. The FBI, Russia and Wikileaks had no authority to do any of this shit.

lednerg

Do you actually want to have a conversation or just have everyone grovel at your feet to be allowed into whatever party you think you're building.

I want the HRC/DNC elite who thought it would be so clever to get the media to amp up Trump's exposure to go jump off a cliff.

Oh but that revelation came from Wikileaks, so I'm basically Putin himself.

Please. Your guys made this happen because they SO needed Hillary, who lost to a fucking nobody in 2008, they needed her in office. Y'all were all about political gamesmanship over people just as much as the GOP. Own it already.

I want the HRC/DNC elite who thought it would be so clever to get the media to amp up Trump's exposure to go jump off a cliff.

Please. Your guys made this happen because they SO needed Hillary, who lost to a fucking nobody in 2008, they needed her in office. Y'all were all about political gamesmanship over people just as much as the GOP. Own it already.

I simple no would have sufficed.

Wilsongt

I wish people would stop saying Bernie would have won. He completely ignored an entire portion of the US and an entire minority during his primary bid.

Debirudog

Well enjoy feeling vindicitive in this discussion board, then.

No. That's not what a pied piper strategy is. It's typing opponents you'd expect to be the nominee (Jeb, Rubio) to the crazies in the party like Trump or Cruz. It's not getting CNN to cover Trump more.

Yes, Hillary was the wrong candidate. We can all see that now. But guess what? You need her supporters. Everyone wants the same thing. But continue to treat your allies like this. Worked well for Hillary.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wish people would stop saying Bernie would have won. He completely ignored an entire portion of the US and an entire minority during his primary bid.

At the very least it would not have been a sure thing, basically thanks to the electoral college. If it was Popular vote, I'd suspect he would have won for sure... but guess who else would have?

No. That's not what a pied piper strategy is. It's typing opponents you'd expect to be the nominee (Jeb, Rubio) to the crazies in the party like Trump or Cruz. It's not getting CNN to cover Trump more.

Yes, Hillary was the wrong candidate. We can all see that now. But guess what? You need her supporters. Everyone wants the same thing. But continue to treat your allies like this. Worked well for Hillary.

Even Shinra gave up on that Hillary is the literal devil that destroyed the Democratic Party "Character"
Honestly, it's not even worth typing out his username.

Diablos

Thing to harp on in 2020: "Donald Trump is the reason Netflix blows now!"
I remember reading that Hillary was going to be pretty meh about the FCC too.
Chances are it was always destined to suck post-Obama, he's one of the few people who actually understands how the Internet works.

pigeon

Banned

He just plain outworked Clinton and decidedly won the election. He's much smarter than anyone gives him credit for.

Don't underestimate him.

Meanwhile...

nyt said:
Mr. Trump, a homebody who often flew several hours late at night during the campaign so he could wake up in his own bed in Trump Tower, is talking with his advisers about how many nights a week he will spend in the White House. He has told them he would like to do what he is used to, which is spending time in New York when he can....Mr. Trump’s advisers hold out the possibility that the president-elect may spend more time in the White House as he grows less overwhelmed and more comfortable in the job.

Yet after meeting with President Obama on Thursday and touring the White House, Mr. Trump, according to two people briefed on his thinking, was taken with that building over all and marveled at the neoclassical architecture and history.

Returning home to Trump Tower from the White House may not be Mr. Trump’s only embrace of the familiar. His aides say he has also expressed interest in continuing to hold the large rallies that were a staple of his candidacy. He likes the instant gratification and adulation that the cheering crowds provide, and his aides are discussing how they might accommodate his demand.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-president.html?_r=0&referer=

Yup. He's a real genius all right.

More and more I'm starting to think that Trump really didn't want to be president.

We aren't the DNC. They messed up. Don't expect them to acknowledge this. Now that the "I told you so" is out of the way, do you want to help to defeat the GOP and do you see the DNC as an instrument that can deliver that with the right adjustments?

Wilsongt

At the very least it would not have been a sure thing, basically thanks to the electoral college. If it was Popular vote, I'd suspect he would have won for sure... but guess who else would have?

Even Shinra gave up on that Hillary is the literal devil that destroyed the Democratic Party "Character"

Time to get rid of the EC. It does nothing but fuck Democrats.

numble

I think job retraining, guaranteed minimum income when switching industries for a period of time and some sort of tax on efficiency gains for automation makes sense to create a safety net.

The reality is something does need to be done because these crumbling small towns are just as bad as the inner city in many instances for economic suffering.

But protectionism is not the answer.
You do not do this without providing those solutions first before you take more away. Passing a free trade agreement while promising those benefits will come, when realistically you do not have the votes to do will lead to the scapegoating that has and will continue to happen. Obama campaigned on saving the auto industry and their jobs, and against Romney outsourcing jobs and wanting Detroit to go bankrupt. Things that actually tangible and visible. Promises of shiny things down the road when you haven't done anything or don't have the votes to do anything, while passing trade deals (which can actually be done, as more Republican Senators support it than Democratic Senators) will just allow you to be scapegoated for benefiting Wall Street at the expense of Main Street.

Debirudog

Trump just wanted the fancy title. It seems apparent ever since I saw that photo of his watch party where he looked unexcited as a slug

PInk Tape

Banned

I have nothing against Bernie, I respect him and the movement he was able to create, but they need to stop being delusional tbh.

Did he? He was pandering to that older generation. Are the hope change 2008 thirty somethings vehemently anti-trade or is it the college campus set standing around with tape over their mouths or yelling during Obama's speeches.

Both, for different reasons. The older generation don't like them because they associate them with the loss of their manufacturing Jobs. The younger set don't like them because they are often stealth corporate wishlists particularly with regards to the internet and IP. And yes some of that is just sheer piracy , some of it is that the copyright system is broken (eg there's no effective input into the public domain, nothing primarily associated with my child hood is coming out of copyright while I'm alive or quiet possible while my children are alive either. Hell Lord of the Rings, which was written decades before I was born won't come out of copyright until I'm in my 50s). The priority of DRM over preservation in combination with that would would consign many works to the mists of time of people didn't ignore the hell out of it. And the internet shut off provisions are wildly unpopular too.

You could solve the second one quite easily by not negotiating these things in secret like they were Eldritch rituals to bring about the end times while dealing in corporations well above other stake holders. If you kept them to reduction / elimination of tariffs and appropriate regulatory exhange that set likely would likely range between apathetic and supportive. But that's not going to happen.

You can't do jack about the first in terms of what they think , its been associated with their loss of jobs for 2 decades now. They aren't interested in service jobs either, so you really need to find something like solar manufacture or infrastructure construction that they can take pride in for them, their image of what it means to be real man just isn't office work.

Wilsongt

http://www.newnownext.com/log-cabin-republicans-trump-administration/11/2016/?xrs=synd_facebook_logo

Log Cabin Republicans President Gregory T. Angelo confirmed in a letter to members this morning that he’s been “in regular communication with the Trump Transition Team” for the past three weeks.

The email comes just a week after Angelo announced the gay conservative group would not endorse Donald Trump for president, though he allowed some individual Log Cabin chapters across the U.S. to do so.

In the email, which asks for donations, Angelo boasted about being the only apparent LGBT organization with a point of contact in the Trump administration while blasting “LGBT liberals” for investing millions of dollars in the Clinton campaign.

“While Log Cabin Republicans was working to have a relationship with our nation’s incoming chief executive, the LGBT Left was busy demonizing Donald Trump and fundraising off of bogeymen,” said Angelo.

He added that “while LGBT liberals were breathlessly lamenting” the election results this week, his organization was “quietly working behind-the-scenes to ensure the advances in LGBT freedom we have made thus far remain secure and continue in a Trump administration.”

No. Fuck Log cabin Republicans. Fuck them. Fuck them fuck them fuck them.

lednerg

Um, how many Hillary ads did I see staring neocons attacking Trump. Like a billion?

Also, Hillary stans attacking Bernie bros was something of a pastime of theirs for the past couple months. It was basically a continuation of PUMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom