• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sounds like the kind of person who's date would bail of them after 5 minutes.
;)
The good news is when Trump repeals Medicare and loses 5 million US jobs he'll be too mad to vote, or vote for his Democratic opponent out of spite (and maybe even for downballot Dems in the midterm, that'll learn 'em)
He was too lazy to vote this year so there's no need to worry. If only running his fuckin' mouth all day about trump's greatness was as much a hassle for him as voting

lednerg

This this this.

absolutely support transition easing regardless of affiliation. Fine with Hillary being friendly to him again. If she bows out of active party participation. Others have to carry the torch for dirty work now.

No, we should be wiping boogers in all of the glasses.

They're either the literal resurrection of Hitler or not. Make a choice. I heard this was all about racism.

Totakeke

Here's the list of organizations John Oliver suggested to donate or subscribe to on his show.

kirblar

They're either the literal resurrection of Hitler or not. Make a choice. I heard this was all about racism.
Even if it's the literal resurrection of Hitler, we need to make sure Hitler doesn't accidentally sneeze and set off all the nukes.

lednerg

Even if it's the literal resurrection of Hitler, we need to make sure Hitler doesn't accidentally sneeze and set off all the nukes.

I like this almost as much as 'nuclear codes' like in Dr Strangelove and War Games. Trumpo is gonna nuke Vermont for some off-tasting maple syrup thanks to a special decoder ring.

What's the reason to donate to WaPo, is Bezos running out of cash soon?

He didn't say donate to them, only get subscription to places like them or your local newspaper if you want to support the press. It's crazy that almost all the topics that have been presented on LWT are going to become even more prominent now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What's the reason to donate to WaPo, is Bezos running out of cash soon?

I imagine he means subscribe, besides if Trump does try to change the libel laws like he's said he wants to then they'll need all the money they can get to fight it off.

I like this almost as much as 'nuclear codes' like in Dr Strangelove and War Games. Trumpo is gonna nuke Vermont for some off-tasting maple syrup thanks to a special decoder ring.

I mean if he wanted to Vermont's only hope would be someone talking him out of it. Trump's dumb and easily manipulated, we should be trying to take advantage of this if we can. You know the GOP leaders will be doing the same.

Teggy

Republicans: we'll spend billions on infrastructure while simultaneously shrinking government spending. Oh, also we'll lower a bunch of taxes while doing all this spending and that will reduce the deficit.

This is something.

lednerg

I mean if he wanted to Vermont's only hope would be someone talking him out of it. Trump's dumb and easily manipulated, we should be trying to take advantage of this if we can. You know the GOP leaders will be doing the same.

It's true. Matt from Chapo Trap House has proposed we present Trump with a single-payer healthcare plan and call it TrumpCare.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

I don't see what's so hard about this. I can oppose his entire platform and still believe in an orderly transition of power.

I haven't YET seen anything that necesitates insurrection. But I am sure as shit watching.

Care to find some examples of it being used in a positive light?

There's nothing positive to say about the ideology. And the authors of the paper aren't radical left wingers who've taught at Yale and Duke. Plenty of folks with advanced degrees across the political spectrum plus can do math use the term. One is an economist at the University of Notre Dame.

Law and Neoliberalism said:
We contend that to give it up would be a serious intellectual loss, and we hope in this special issue to bring it more fully into legal scholarship. We gladly acknowledge that neoliberalism is not conceptually neat and cannot be defined
by a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for its use—a problem, if it is a
problem, that neoliberalism shares with many other “essentially contested concepts,” such as conservatism, individualism, and democracy.

Like I said the study from the economist at LSE was cute though.

lednerg

I don't see what's so hard about this. I can oppose his entire platform and still believe in an orderly transition of power.

I haven't YET seen anything that necesitates insurrection. But I am sure as shit watching.

Look, I'm not saying Obama should do anything different, but we as a people should get over this "when they go low, we go high" thing. That just opens you up for the nut shot.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's true. Matt from Chapo Trap House has proposed we present Trump with a single-payer healthcare plan and call it TrumpCare.

I was talking to Cybit about this the other night and we came up with Trump Medicine. This is why I'm not bothered at all with Obama and Schumer being cordial with him, someone needs to try and see if we can manipulate him into doing the right thing. We need to do it because you know the GOP will be doing the same. Let Warren, Franken, and others attack him relentlessly on his bullshit while the party leaders try to play him.

chadskin

18bb_pop.jpg

What a photo. Simpler times.

I have hope that he steps up to the plate, but Canada is just not that important (it is big tho).

I can only hope my country, Mexico, finally wakes up in 2018 and elects a progressive president. But every single major party is a mess, all three or four of them. Only the center-right conservative PAN have sort-of their shit together, but the former first lady who's running to be its nominee, has taken a hit after HIllary's loss (that's what pundits believe, anyway).

And the perennial populist left candidate, Andres Manuel, isn't as popular with youth anymore.

Mexico was also not that important, but it's grown so huge since 2 or 3 years ago. Peso second most traded currency and the third most traded country with the US only after China and Canada (who is in NAFTA)

Mexico's 18 election is such a toss up. There are many roads that I can see, so many actors.

We've got:

-- PRI is going with Osorio Chong the most presidential one
-- PAN was going with Margarita Zavala, but she just lost appeal after Hillary's loss and her relationship with the motherfucker shit-lord Sonora state ex-governor Padrés. Ricardo Anaya, sitting president of PAN, has recently been ousted as a magnate who didn't declare his multiple assets outside Mexico when PRI took a closer look at his 3 out of 3 declaration that he himself promoted (IDIOT!), so he is out.
-- AMLO is not that popular anymore, but is as anti-establishment as you get. I just don't know if by 2018, anti-establishment elections will have fallen due to their idiotic weight.
-- Bronco as an Independent, who is also anti-establishment but has not really excelled in his governance of Nuevo Leon state.

If the opposition gets its shit together, they will beat PRI easily. If they get funny and do not form alliances, we are getting 6 more PRI years coming to us. With the world economy boom putting excruciating pressure on the Mexican Peso, I don't see how 6 more years of PRI debt-increase will lead to anything good.

Mexico's politics are so weird.

PRI is the most centrist party, with an authoritarian corrupt story. Sometimes they support things like pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights, but other times they don't. Almost all of their Governors are pieces of shit.
PAN is fiscal conservative, but flirts too much with religious bullshit. Their governors are usually a little bit better than PRI, but they have shit-stains also.
PRD is the left progressive party, but it is filled with infighting, crazy publicity antics and supports some hardcore violent activists. They also have almost no representation in the richest parts of the country such as Nuevo Leon, Sonora or Baja California.

Then you get all the other little motherfuckers
PVEM (Green Party) - PRI's bitch, full of idiot playboys who give ZERO fucks about the environment
MORENA - AMLO's personal party. Also know as Morenazis due to their own zealotry when supporting AMLO. Have made inroads into congress.
MOVIMIENTO CIUDANO - Ex-PRD members that are far-left and align themselves to PRD or Morena according to who is doing better at the time.
NUEVA ALIANZA - The teachers union (largets union in latin america) party. Personal party of ex-union leader (and also corrupt shit-stain) Elba Esther Gordillo (AKA Chucky) now lead by famous playboy idiot Jorge Kahwagi (also of Big Brother participation fame). The growth of this party has been slow, getting less and less votes each year.
PES - Christian Evangelical zealots with no other platform than to fuck up gays and women's rights. This piece of shit party was created in my home state, which brings shame to myself every fucking second these idiots try to take rights away.

So US, do you want to have more representation in your political system?

This what representative government gets you, a list of political mercenary clowns that align themselves to the better payer as long as they keep their party registration open, in order to get more of that sweet-ass congress money.

Fuck I just got angry

lednerg

I was talking to Cybit about this the other night and we came up with Trump Medicine. This is why I'm not bothered at all with Obama and Schumer being cordial with him, someone needs to try and see if we can manipulate him into doing the right thing. We need to do it because you know the GOP will be doing the same. Let Warren, Franken, and others attack him relentlessly on his bullshit while the party leaders try to play him.

That's the spirit. And say he actually starts doing shit like helping America, it has to be made clear that he's doing so on his own and outside of the typical GOP establishment. I'm banking on any of this happening as much I expect to marry a supermodel. But hey, you never know. My skin's pretty good for my age.

This probably will not register on Trump's shitty advisors/appointees list but worth mentioning, Trump's Middle East advisor is pretty much a warcriminal who took part in the Sabra/Shatilla Massacre in Lebanon during the early 80s.
During the 1980s, Phares trained Lebanese militants in ideological beliefs justifying the war against the country's Muslim and Druze factions, according to Mother Jones magazine.

Mother Jones said Phares advocated the view that Lebanon's Christians should work toward creating a separate, independent Christian enclave.

Regina Sneifer, a Lebanese woman who served with the Lebanese Forces as a teenager, said that Phares was a key ideologue for the party. In her book about her experience as a fighter in the civil war, she mentions that Phares promoted the "clash of civilizations" narrative to Christian militiamen, emphasising that they were the “vanguard of a war between the West and Islam”.
From March 2016
A well-known sectarian propagandist and war criminal, Dr. Phares served as a high ranking political official in the “Lebanese Front,” a sectarian religious militia responsible for massacres during Lebanon’s brutal, 15-year civil war. Dr. Phares was also part of the “Guardians of Cedar,” a militia group with the slogan “Kill a Palestinian and you shall enter Heaven.” Dr. Phares joined Fox News in 2007, and often promotes Islamophobia under the guise of being a counter terrorism expert.
Middle east is going to get whole lot sectarian and messy.

After reading the OT thread on Trump's comments on gay marriage on 60 Minutes and seeing some people fall over themselves to talk about how it shows he's moderate and that LGBTQ people won't be really threatened, it's easy to see why people bought into his campaign even in the face of facts and contradictory statements.

Zackat

After reading the OT thread on Trump's comments on gay marriage on 60 Minutes and seeing some people fall over themselves to talk about how it shows he's moderate and that LGBTQ people won't be really threatened, it's easy to see why people bought into his campaign even in the face of facts and contradictory statements.

yep. the media is gonna have to work overtime. I hope the Times and Post get more subscriptions because we need them more than ever.

watershed

Banned
the recurring title for poligaf needs to be THIS IS NOT NORMAL

I've been saying this on facebook since election night. THIS IS NOT NORMAL. Donald Trump is empowering the worst people. Not just typical republicans but horrible human beings with horrible views and very questionable ability to govern competently.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's the spirit. And say he actually starts doing shit like helping America, it has to be made clear that he's doing so on his own and outside of the typical GOP establishment. I'm banking on any of this happening as much I expect to marry a supermodel. But hey, you never know. My skin's pretty good for my age.

None of what I said is an excuse for Dems to stop hitting him for his racist demagoguery though. The firebrands should be spitting hot fire all over his face day in and day out. Just because Obama needs to be cordial doesn't mean the rest of the party needs to be. The fact none of this is normal needs to be driven home day in and day out.

lednerg

None of what I said is an excuse for Dems to stop hitting him for his racist demagoguery though. The firebrands should be spitting hot fire all over his face day in and day out. Just because Obama needs to be cordial doesn't mean the rest of the party needs to be. The fact none of this is normal needs to be driven home day in and day out.

Everybody already gets that he's a racist and that racists love him. The message has been received loud and clear. It has made racists feel very emboldened about his win now. This has been a very good, tactful strategy which has lost us minority votes since 2012. Yay us.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Everybody already gets that he's a racist and that racists love him. The message has been received loud and clear. It has made racists feel very emboldened about his win now. This has been a very good, tactful strategy which has lost us minority votes since 2012. Yay us.

That's not the point. Have you not seen the reports about all the horrible shit people have been doing in the wake of Trump's win, he's emboldened people to act that way. It needs to be driven home that it is not ok.

lednerg

That's not the point. Have you not seen the reports about all the horrible shit people have been doing in the wake of Trump's win, he's emboldened people to act that way. It needs to be driven home that it is not ok.

Read my post again. This was a shit tactic by the Dems, just like many other shit tactics they've had this season.

The Dems emboldened the racists. They could have cooled it off with the "white working class = racists" narrative, but that's their go to. Blaming the loss on racism covers their asses.

Amir0x hasn't tweeted since the election last week. I'm a bit worried now.

that is much unlike me, where a third of my tweets have to do with crying, another third are about the health insurance panic i now find myself in, and a final third are "how the fuck do I get out of this country with a kidney condition"

sphagnum

Banned
I'm already overworked but I think I'm going to pick up even more overtime from now on so I can donate as much as possible. My girlfriend doesn't want me protesting because she's afraid of what will happen but at least I can contribute that way.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Please. You guys are in the process of normalizing Trump, patting yourselves on the back for being so "open" to that shit..

Please reflect on your diet-racism. It's really getting annoying.

You have been subtling suggesting that dems abandon minorities for days now.
And since I am one, it's REALLY starting to piss me off.

You haven't proven the exit polls wrong that Independents would've voted for Sanders.

People. Didn't. Like. Hillary. Clinton.

Not even white women. The approval ratings have said this for a while. The problem was, the DNC was planning on running her since 2008 and never had anything else in mind. They had no plan B, and when one presented itself with Sanders, they rejected it because it didn't align with their donors' wishes.

So it's either most working class people are racists, like the media figures insinuate (in order to cover their asses), or there's was something wrong with her and the platform she reluctantly settled with. People are fed up with the political elite - they're suffering and half-measures like Obamacare and the bailouts haven't helped them. This should have been clear to the experts since 2010.

You scoff at newcomers like Nina Turner but she got crowds of tens of thousands energized every time. Trump did too. This idea that people need loads of experience to have a chance was completely disproven in 2008, and you all forgot the lesson. They want charismatic figures who don't come off as being typical, fake politicians - people who are angry for them and put forward a plan that addresses their everyday lives.

None of this addresses what I said.

You have no answers to what I'm saying.

How did he win open primaries when he lost 71% of them?

You didn't answer my identity politics question regarding Harris/Kander either.

lednerg

Please reflect on your diet-racism. It's really getting annoying.

You have been subtling suggesting that dems abandon minorities for days now.
And since I am one, it's REALLY starting to piss me off.

Don't call me a racist. You don't know me. I'm an adult telling you how the world works, and if it doesn't match with what you thought, then I can't help that.

The Democratic Party has been enabling racist policies. I wish to change that.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Don't call me a racist. You don't know me. I'm an adult telling you how the world works, and if it doesn't match with what you thought, then I can't help that.

The Democratic Party has been enabling racist policies. I wish to change that.

I know you well enough from your posts.

Bernie Bros like yourself only seem to be ok with appealing to minorities if it's not too much of a bother, or too expensive politically.

You place the blame on Dems losing in part on Dems appealing to those groups, and i've had enough.

Debirudog

Kander or Kamala aren't even political elites lol.

And while experience might not actually help their chance, GETTING experience is still good and doesn't hurt at all. Hell, does lednerg even know Kander or Kamala????

lednerg

None of this addresses what I said.

You have no answers to what I'm saying.

How did he win open primaries when he lost 71% of them?

You didn't answer my identity politics question regarding Harris/Kander either.

OMFG. I don't know who Harris and Kander are. All I know is they aren't white and old, because that was the part of the comment I was responding to in that post way back when.

If you're so deadset on Bernie losing against Trump, then that's your problem. You really hate the guy, I get it. You've got a lot invested in that narrative and I feel bad for you, because it turns out it's wrong. I'm going by the exit polling from the general election that says Bernie would've won.

kirblar

OMFG. I don't know who Harris and Kander are. All I know is they aren't white and old, because that was the part of the comment I was responding to in that post way back when.

If you're so deadset on Bernie losing against Trump, then that's your problem. You really hate the guy, I get it. You've got a lot invested in that narrative and I feel bad for you, because it turns out it's wrong. I'm going by the exit polling from the general election that says Bernie would've won.
You know that saying about what happens when you assume things?

People who didn't vote Clinton and expected everyone else to beat Trump for them should not get a seat at the table. They showed they cannot be trusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom