• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
@NateSilver538
Acadia County, LA
Early votes: Trump 47, Cruz 26, Rubio 19
Election day votes: Trump 44, Cruz 41, Rubio 9
Trump traditionally does better in early votes, so this actually points mostly to Cruz taking Rubio's share.

Tom_Cody

There's also the question is how much of this is Trump underperforming and how much of it is anti-Trump vote consolidating under Cruz. He's still at 42% in LA, is Cruz close because Rubio is dying?
The fascinating thing is that he's still performing massively well relative to any Republican primary in history... But he's so polarizing that he can still lose even with the amount of voters he can draw.

That's not really an answer to your question though.

royalan

People need to stop with the "debates don't matter" line. It is absolutely clear Trump was hurt.

I don't think the debates alone hurt Trump.

Last week in general was a perfect storm to damage him. The debate, the KKK thing, and Mitt Romney combined.

danm999

Guys what is happening in LA right now? Decision desk is showing Cruz only 2.3% behind with 61% reporting.

Edit; nevermind, decision desk just bumped Trump back up.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Trump traditionally does better in early votes, so this actually points mostly to Cruz taking Rubio's share.

In LA I'll mostly assume the moderate base is almost non-existant or to the extent to which they're a minority and decided not to show up either. Those that perhaps did, took the purity bait.

Makai

Guys what is happening in LA right now? Decision desk is showing Cruz only 2.3% behind with 61% reporting.

Edit; nevermind, decision desk just bumped Drumpf back up.
They can call it early because the Cruz base precincts called in first.

Ever since the GOP announced that Rubio was their favored candidate, he's gotten fucking crushed.

The Party Decides But Maybe the GOP Isn't a Functional Political Party Anymore?

Makai

Use this. Drumpf has held a consistent 10k vote lead for a while now. He'll hold on, don't fret over % numbers.
I like how half of the Republicans have nicknames

"Jeb" Bush (R) 0.72% 1743
"Ben" Carson (R) 1.56% 3771
"Chris" Christie (R) 0.13% 327
Timothy "Tim" Cook (R) 0.07% 173
"Ted" Cruz (R) 37.54% 90987
"Carly" Fiorina (R) 0.08% 188
Lindsey Graham (R) 0.05% 116
"Mike" Huckabee (R) 0.22% 541
John R. Kasich (R) 6.05% 14661
Peter Messina (R) 0.01% 35
"Rand" Paul (R) 0.21% 520
Marco Rubio (R) 11.33% 27455
"Rick" Santorum (R) 0.06% 144
Donald J. Drumpf (R)

Tom_Cody

He'll probably win KY and LA but today definitely wasn't a good day, delegates wise.
Also, that he keeps delaying the press conference underscores how close the races are. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top with delegates for the day. Cruz's margins are bigger, but Trump's states are bigger.

Makai

Someone told me today she was trained by the Obama campaign to tell people to vote in the morning so the powers at be wouldn't tamper with their votes ?:^V

Also, that he keeps delaying the press conference underscores how close the races are. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top with delegates for the day. Cruz's margins are bigger, but Trump's states are bigger.

It'll depend on how the congressional districts pan out.

Effect

Getting the impression that if these ballots in KY and LA were updated before today Cruz might be winning them. There are a LOT of votes going to people like Huckabee, etc that aren't in the race anymore and haven't for months and that might have gone to Cruz.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
At some point delaying this press conference starts looking bad for Trump. Hes gotta take a chance and come out.

Trump vs. Cruz to finish will be pretty interesting. The competent politician with policy ideas that literally no one likes outside of Republican think tanks vs. the incompetent politician with ideas that are popular with actual Republican voters. Both hated by the establishment and basically everyone who is sane. One believes he is part of a Biblical Prophecy, the other talks about Two Corinthians.

I swear CNN has had "Awaiting Donald Trump news conference" for 2 hours now at the bottom of their screen. They put it up around 8:40 or so...

Getting the impression that if these ballots in KY and LA were updated before today Cruz might be winning them. There are a LOT of votes going to people like Huckabee, etc that might have gone to Cruz.

A couple hundred of votes that would be split between candidates wouldn't make up the difference. Carson is the only significant other vote getter and he just dropped out, so updating ballots for him would be impossible.

Effect

A couple hundred of votes that would be split between candidates wouldn't make up the difference. Carson is the only significant other vote getter and he just dropped out, so updating ballots for him would be impossible.

Assuming they split. In some cases they might not have. If you have close to a thousand people going for Huckabee just for example they're not going to split between Cruz and Trump. They're going one way.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Harry Enten said:
You keep hearing from people like me that Drumpf has a floor of about one-third of the vote. For instance, he averaged 35 percent in the Super Tuesday contests. Today, it’s the same story. His average vote percentage in the four states that voted today is 33 percent. The big difference from other days is that Cruz was able to coalesce a lot of the anti-Drumpf bloc, which led to at least two victories.
Sounds right.

LA race is over, Trump is up by over 11k now. Even Dave Wasserman is abandoning his "dead heat" campaign.

Assuming they split. In some cases they might not have. If you have close to a thousand people going for Huckabee just for example they're not going to split between Cruz and Trump. They're going one way.
They always split, no voting bloc moves over to another candidate monolithically.

"We knew this would be the roughest period of the campaign, given the makeup of the electoral map," Rubio said in the primarily Spanish language presser, as quoted by The Hill.

I know the quote attributed to Trump from the eary 2000's about running for President as a Republican because the audience are easily manipulated, FOX-News-watching idiots is false, but, guess what? That's EXACTLY what he is doing. Lmao.

Kusagari

Now I wonder if early voting is going to save trump in Florida and doom cruz...

It's likely going to save(well not save but help him avoid maximum failure) Rubes too. I bet Cruz beats him in polling day of but early voting save Rubio from coming in third.

Now I wonder if early voting is going to save trump in Florida and doom cruz...

Today's events seem favorable for Trump in Florida, it's difficult to imagine someone other than Rubio beating him there. It's Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois that'd I'd worry about more. But those are all open primaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom