• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Man visiting my family and a group of them are just sitting around watching Primer Impacto (news) and they're just linking Trump left and right to every god damn crime against Mexicans at the moment. One guy beaten with a pipe who had nothing to do with politics quickly cut to another crime where Trump was mentioned by the perp.

All the while showing the victim's families and they too are mentioning current politics being a possible cause of the violence.

Generals are gonna be fucking wild yo. Also bomb flautas whew

Cerium

I have no doubt that Hillary has had a lot of work done on her face. Most elderly politicians do. John Kerry's face is half botox at this point.

K.Sabot

watching fox news cover a trump rally atm and its pretty incredible how ... reserved the anchors have been.

They sound lost and confused as to what to say.

They sound defeated.

Cerium

Anyone else notice how suddenly Tom Perez is making the rounds on CNN and MSNBC? Definitely raising his profile ahead of the VP pick.

lol Mark Halperin keeps asking him Vice President questions in that interview.

Only because Christie didn't want Booker on the ballot for the regular election though
Er, what? Even if Booker's election was on the same day it would have been considered a special election. That was held in 2013 because the previous guy had died - the seat wasn't actually up until 2014, where Booker won a full 6-year term.

If Booker became VP, Christie would likely appoint a GOP to his seat but there would be a special election 3-4 months later (so April-May) to fill the rest of Booker's term.

If it's looking like Democrats are going to dominate up and down the ballot I'll be all for Booker as VP, I know some people don't like him but the dude's charismatic as fuck and complements Hillary well. Saw him speak in 09 back when he was still mayor of Newark and just thought "my God, the next Obama."

I also really want him and Kamala to run together in the future.

FnordChan

The rabid true conservative types are in full on Prosperity Gospel mode, where righteousness is defined by success.

I really like the prosperity gospel comparison here, especially when you look at the Trump campaign, where his entire angle is, "I am fabulously wealthy and therefore fabulous, give enough and you can achieve the same success". Except, instead of "planting a seed" it's "casting a vote" - though, if Trump starts to crank up fundraising for the general then I guess the "help plant a seed with your donation" emails are going to start flying fast and furious. Trump should get Creflo Dollar to be his campaign manager.

FnordChan

Rand Paul's ideas are liked by roughly zero people in the GOP. His dad was only liked because of his extreme racism and because Ron's economic ideas would really hurt black people.

There looks like a lot of protesters at Trump's Salt Lake City rally. It should be interesting.

Yeah, he's hated here and it's pretty crazy over there right now.

Er, what? Even if Booker's election was on the same day it would have been considered a special election. That was held in 2013 because the previous guy had died - the seat wasn't actually up until 2014, where Booker won a full 6-year term.

If Booker became VP, Christie would likely appoint a GOP to his seat but there would be a special election 3-4 months later (so April-May) to fill the rest of Booker's term.

Trump makes it pretty likely that the Democrats will have at least 51 seats if Hillary wins so the risk of Christie appointing a Republican that would swing the Senate for 5 months is less. And the Democrats would almost certainly retain the seat once the special election is held, which is not true for other states Hillary could pull a Senator from.

NeoXChaos

Cd4HGOuXIAAAGJX.jpg

Does that term even have a defined, distinct meaning like neocon does or is it just "you're not progressive enough" nonsense?

Best summation I've seen: http://econospeak.blogspot.com/2016/03/varieties-of-neoliberalism.html
The main reason anne is misguided is that the Wikipedia entry simply ignores a particular strand of use of the term that began in Washington in1983 and that viewed itself as a movement for at least two decades, even as this use of the term and this movement has faded substantially, even if arguably it is still kicking around, arguably in the current US presidential race, even as those most associated with it (see Hillary Clinton) seem now to be running from some of its most famous tenets, such as support for free trade (or at least of bills claiming to be such, notably the troubled TPPP, which has been noted by many as mostly involving strengthening monopoly rights of Big Pharma and such than expanding trade opportunities for such places as Vietnam).
<snip>
The link with the Anglo-American classical liberals came with the founding of the Mont Pelerin Society in 1947, where the A-A view was led by Hayek and Friedman. At the time they adopted and accepted the descriptor, "neoliberal," and many have since commented on the role of the MPS in the history of neoliberlism. During the 1950s, these two branches would diverge (perhaps triggered by a 1953 speech to it by Erhard), with the classical liberal branch gaining control. So it was that the dominant branch of neoliberalism essentially became an updated classical liberalism without all that social safety net baggage. And, in fact, in most of the English speaking world, the term "neoliberal" basically disappeared from usage during the 1960s and 1970s, preparing the ground for Peters to revive it in 1983 without realizing that it had already been around for some time, with his version probably not too far from the social market economy version of Muller-Armack and Eucken.

The term survived in the Spanish language literature, especially that dealing with Latin America, and it was associated with Hayek and Friedman and their views of the world. That both of them gave some support to the economic policies of the Pinochet regime cemented this link in this Spanish language literature. The Wikipedia entry notes that it was from this literature that the more modern use of it migrated back into the English language academic literature especially from the 1990s on. This literature generally either ignored or was unaware of this Washington-based Peters version of it, even as he was unaware of this other history of the term's usage.

Did anyone watch that video where Bernie losses his patience that I linked to earlier. I just rewatched it and just realized he managed to go from "Why did your wife go see Sheriff Joe" to Hillary's Iraq vote to her having SuperPACs in less than 20 seconds. I'm not going to lie... I'm impressed.

And Broad City is everything.

Clinton should choose Kasich as her VP and then kick him to the curb after the RNC is over and Trump is the nominee.

Yes!
RNC is before the DNC though.

Also eww at the idea of Kasich being VP at any point even if it's for a prank on the GOP. Not to mention that would look really shitty.

GuyKazama

Whoa, what? That seems like it would or should be a big deal.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/utah-republicans-open-caucuses-to-online-voters-1458324718

Republican voters will be required to complete a separate registration to vote online. The deadline to register was initially March 15 but was extended until midnight Thursday due to public interest in the process. After registering, voters will get a PIN that will allow them to vote.

Online “polls” will be open between 7:00 a.m. and 11 p.m. on March 22. Voters will get a receipt that will verify that their vote was recorded correctly. The state party declined to release the number of online voter registrations that it has received.

Ecotic

I haven't heard Trump use this line before (paraphrasing):

'Other politicians say to vote even if you don't vote for me. Not me. If you're not going to vote for me, then don't vote.'

Holmes

RNC is before the DNC though.

Also eww at the idea of Kasich being VP at any point even if it's for a prank on the GOP. Not to mention that would look really shitty.
That's the point. If he thinks he'll be Clinton's VP during the RNC, he won't try to get the nomination in a contested convention, and then after Trump is chosen as the Republican candidate, Clinton can dump him and choose someone else. I'm told this is a very "House of Cards" scenario.

The terrible hard left journalists for the Rolling Stones are really worried about this Hulk Hogan judgment, but then one of them said that he wished ISIS captured and executed Josh Barro, so honestly, I'm okay with these guys losing their jobs.

Cerium

The terrible hard left journalists for the Rolling Stones are really worried about this Hulk Hogan judgment, but then one of them said that he wished ISIS captured and executed Josh Barro, so honestly, I'm okay with these guys losing their jobs.

I'm still amazed that no one lost their job over the UVA scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom