• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

So the 3 AM ad...just tap dancing?

You do understand the difference between a a candidate saying "XXX is not qualified to be president" and a candidate saying "I am the better choice over XXX to be president" right?

Because at no point does Hillary say Obama isn't qualified to be president in that video.

She came close to saying Obama wasn't qualified but would never say the words.
I think she kinda alluded to that. She had that one speech where she praised her own record while talking about qualifications, praised McCain's record, and then said Obama has one speech he gave to congress. Lot of democrats were put off by that attack.

Bernie is a mess. Glad to see Hillary with a good response to his bait. Not surprised he is recanting his statement.

Trump will win Cali, but not surprised this is most likely going to a brokered convention as a result of him doing poorly here.

So it follows that Sanders is the first democrat qualified to be president since Jimmy Carter, and that no republican president has been qualified to be president since Eisenhower.

If that's the game he wants to play, go ahead and dig your grave. But the funny thing is that if he's asked if Obama was qualified to be president he'll almost certainly say yes. Why? He received millions in financing from Goldman Sachs and other corporate/banking interests too. And while there's no question corporations have too much influence on administrations...why has Obama been tough (at times) on corporations and banks, to the point they can't stand him? Why did Obama pass Dodd-Frank, which Sanders believes can be used to break up the banks?

I think she kinda alluded to that. She had that one speech where she praised her own record while talking about qualifications, praised McCain's record, and then said Obama has one speech he gave to congress. Lot of democrats were put off by that attack.
I know, which is why I'm saying she definitely came close to saying he was disqualified despite never actually saying it.

GYODX

Nah. She just said he's "fundamentally not American."
And suggested that made him more liable to be assassinated like Bobby Kennedy was in June. In fact, as per her own words, the possibility of that happening is the reason she didn't drop out sooner. But Bernie supporters hoping she gets indicted is a worse look somehow?

Also, I'm still laughing at the suggestion that Hillary politicizing dead Sandy Hook children is somehow not a worse look for her than Bernie calling her unqualified. Everyone lost their minds over the latter but kinda shrugged the former off. How intellectually dishonest can you get!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I mean Hillary said the same thing about Obama in 2008. I think Dems have forgotten what a primary looks like somehow.

We really have. It's sort of hilarious. :D (Not a fan of Sanders' comment, but in two months no one will care)

Nah. She just said he's "fundamentally not American."

"He's not a Muslim....as far as I know".

Yeah; folks definitely forgot how vicious primaries can be. Trump's destroying people over on the GOP side, lol. Between the 60 minutes comment, Bill saying that Obama should be fetching him water, and the Kennedy comment...this primary's patty-cake, lol.

We'll be fine, IMO.

She never said it because it's easier to walk back. You can question qualifications but blatantly coming out and saying they're disqualified is something else.
Yea that's true. But the point is that she did imply the unthinkable. Not a question of walking back. Bernie is just more crass.

She never said it because it's easier to walk back. You can question qualifications but blatantly coming out and saying they're disqualified is something else.

You never want to be seen as endorsing your opponent while the primary is still going on. After all, what is a primary other than contrasting your qualifications vs. theirs? It's not a bad thing to question qualifications. It's another thing to launch such an inane line of attack that basically eliminates anyone but Sanders from being president.

You never want to be seen as endorsing your opponent while the primary is still going on. After all, what is a primary other than contrasting your qualifications vs. theirs? It's not a bad thing to question qualifications. It's another thing to launch such an inane line of attack that basically eliminates anyone but Sanders from being president.

But its easy enough to walk back, Sanders can just say the same thing Clinton did: "Well, I'd still prefer her over Trump or Cruz!"

She came close to saying Obama wasn't qualified but would never say the words.

What was the 3AM ad, or the continued attacks on Obama's experience (or lack thereof), or the continued begging of superdelegates to hand her a victory? This is largely another case of the Clinton camp/supporters being shocked and appalled at things they were doing eight years ago.

And I'm sure we'll be hearing very soon how this is a sexist attack. I can't wait for this primary to end.

What was the 3AM ad, or the continued attacks on Obama's experience (or lack thereof), or the continued begging of superdelegates to hand her a victory? This is largely another case of the Clinton camp/supporters being shocked and appalled at things they were doing eight years ago.

And I'm sure we'll be hearing very soon how this is a sexist attack. I can't wait for this primary to end.

But she evolved! Like Pokemon!

Holmes

California is in 2 months? And the regional subsamples probably only have a 100-120 person sample, so MoE is probably ridiculously high? I wouldn't diablos over it.

What a colossal fuck up by Bernie. Love seeing how Sanders supporters are spinning this as a good thing. Can't wait to see how TYT spins this.
Well they dislike Obama for the same reasons so you can guess what their reaction will be.

Close to thing, but not the thing. That's like, the whole thing we're talking about here.

royalan

Hitting your opponent for being inexperienced is a fair critique and not the same as saying someone is unqualified.

Also, from what I remember, the mistakes Clinton made in 08 were largely gaffes and were immediately walked back as such. They weren't significant parts of her stump.

Holmes

Imo they are definately in campaign flailing mode cause of that interview.
I just hate seeing pointless chaos and destruction for the sake of it and that seems to be what's going on here. And before exclusively Democrats in a half dozen north eastern states vote, one of those being her home state? I dunno. Just talk about the issues, shut the fuck up, and let people vote.

Drek

Also, I'm still laughing at the suggestion that Hillary politicizing dead Sandy Hook children is somehow not a worse look for her than Bernie calling her unqualified. Everyone lost their minds over the latter but kinda shrugged the former off. How intellectually dishonest can you get!

Sanders provides protection to firearms manufacturers. Those manufacturers worked directly to ensure that the '94 assault weapons ban would not be renewed. The weapon used to kill children at Sandy Hook was only owned because the ban was allowed to expire.

He shields firearms manufacturers from any legitimate form of prosecution, they use the money saved to fund candidates who ensure they're even less regulated, then sell even better killing machines to the general public knowing that thanks to Bernie Sanders no one can do anything about it.

He is enabling and protecting an industry that is explicitly focused on distributing weapons only ever engineered to end human lives to every man, woman, and child they can.

Now if only people would question him on it...

Hey, lets stop with the "gotcha" questions directed at poor ol' Bern. He shouldn't have to abide by any kind of consistency or logic in his statements, that isn't needed for the REVOLUTION.

Owzers

I'm sure it'll come up in the debate.

You'd think so because of how easy it would be to broaden out Sanders' "qualified criteria", but from what i'm just watching now they pundits want this to be a back and forth fight strictly between bernie and hillary.

Gotchaye

Now that's splitting hairs.

I don't think so.

Obviously when you're going up against someone for an election it's going to be appropriate to make a case for why you would do a better job than the other person. I mean, I guess you can insist that this always be positive, with candidates only ever talking about good things about themselves, but even this involves a lot of implicit comparisons. And really this probably isn't even a good thing - we should want a candidate to directly address the case the other is making. How much relevant experience a candidate has is a perfectly reasonable thing for candidates to talk about.

My sense is that historically we've used "qualified" in a much more binary way than we've used words like "experienced". And my sense is that a person who is "unqualified" to be president is someone who basically should not be voted for. I expect Democrats to say that Republicans are not qualified to be president by virtue of their opposition to Roe v Wade, for example. The idea here is that really we don't need to look any further; this difference alone is decisive and nobody should be considering voting for a Republican or going through some kind of weighing process to try figure out if the Republican being better in some other way outweighs their position on abortion.

Now, maybe it's okay if you're just going to say that basically nobody is qualified to be president, although I think it's still reasonable to take this as a suggestion that it's permissible to just not vote for anyone. But what was really striking to me about Sanders' statement is that there is in fact a Republican who is much more qualified than Clinton, by these standards. There is a Republican who has not accepted millions in donations from Wall Street and who claims to have thought the Iraq War was a mistake from the beginning and who is definitely against bad trade deals. It seems like kind of a big deal if the implication of your statement is that there are exactly two people in the race who are qualified to be president, and one is Donald Trump! I think it is completely reasonable for reporters to want to ask as a follow-up if Sanders is still committed to supporting the Democratic nominee. I certainly expect that he is, but it's an important thing to be clear on given what he said and given the perception that some of his supporters may be inclined to sit out if he's not the nominee. I would guess that he comes out of this looking worse, to Democrats, and I think that's entirely appropriate.

TheFatOne

Same shit, Clinton campaign is playing games, if they think we won't fight back they are wrong, we will support the Dem nominee.

And now I see exactly how TYT will spin this thanks. Shit is always hilarious when the classic man of the people politician turns out to be just another regular old politician.

Welp I decided to check facebook to see what the hardcore Bernie supporters have been saying.

I guess I can add UsUncut to the list of Bernie-focused blogs that are hilariously biased while claiming they aren't part biased at all.

And now I see exactly how TYT will spin this thanks. Shit is always hilarious when the classic man of the people politician turns out to be just another regular old politician.

Part of me wants to know where a lot of that fundraising money is going...

Regardless, his hardcore supporters will keep seeing him as a christ like figure and refuse to admit fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom