• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider myself a proud democrat. I vote the party line, go to local party functions, volunteer and donate. I think the party screws up sometimes, but it is the best hope for progressive change we have. There are things we need to fix and do better on, but I'm still loyal to the party, ya.

Did you ask for age? I'm 29.

I consider myself a proud democrat. I vote the party line, go to local party functions, volunteer and donate. I think the party screws up sometimes, but it is the best hope for progressive change we have. There are things we need to fix and do better on, but I'm still loyal to the party, ya.

Assuming the Democratic candidate wasn't like, that great, would you vote for someone like Jon Huntsman Jr.? I realize he's left the party, but would you vote for someone who is willing to work across the aisle, fairly moderate, and well-qualified?

Assuming the Democratic candidate wasn't like, that great, would you vote for someone like Jon Huntsman Jr.? I realize he's left the party, but would you vote for someone who is willing to work across the aisle, fairly moderate, and well-qualified?

Probably going to need an example for the "Not that great" Democrat

kess

My party affiliation isn't cast in stone, I'd happily vote for a Gifford Pinchot if such people actually existed in other parties.

They don't, so I only have one choice. I can't even justify voting Republican in local races -- the local representative voted for removing floodplain building restrictions and the county council is loaded with tea partiers.

ivysaur12

Banned

Personally, I would always vote for the more left-leaning candidate unless they were wholly unqualified, ala Trump.

If Kanye did take over the Democratic party in 2020, I wouldn't vote for him.

How many of you are proud Democrats? There's a fairly common trope regarding the disinterested millennial with no party loyalty and I'm wondering how many here don't fit that description.
I'm 32 and have always, will always vote Democrat, or at least vote against Republicans.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Agreed. My mom used to really respect her as SoS. Now she's a Bernie supporter with no intention of supporting Hillary if Bernie loses. She has really bought into all of the hype on the emails. There was a brief moment after the Benghazi hearings where she was extremely impressed with Clinton, but watching Fox News everyday really brainwashes her.
Your mom watches Fox News all day but supports Sanders? That seems like a strange combination.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Personally, I would always vote for the more left-leaning candidate unless they were wholly unqualified, ala Trump.

lol this. If Kanye becomes the nominee I am out this bitch. I might even vote for Paul Ryan out of spite.

Bowdz

Your mom watches Fox News all day but supports Sanders? That seems like a strange combination.

She watches Special Report. Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense. She is the definition of someone who is swayed by personality over policy.

Depends on what you mean by that great. I will not vote for anyone who isn't LGBT friendly. I won't vote for anyone who doesn't believe in sensible gun legislation. I won't vote for a prolife candidate who wants to restrict access to abortion. I won't vote for someone who wants to gut the ACA. I won't support someone who wants to cut back social services and programs like Medicare and Social Security. So, if a fictitious Republican met these criteria....maybe? I'm not entirely opposed to some aspects of common sense fiscal conservatism, or at least fiscal moderation. That sand foreign policy are probably the areas I've moved more towards center left.

pigeon

Banned
I'll give Kanye the next four years to come up with a compelling policy position on Israel-Palestine. If he can't he's donezo with me.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm getting more and more worried Bernie will run 3rd party.

I think it's currently here on the scale

Fully Support Dem Nominee <----|- Not Give much of a Fuck -----> Run 3rd party

haha, yeah. I like the guy, his music, and large swathes of his message. he's got a good heart, and is an even better troll on occasion. But come on, president?

Depends on what you mean by that great. I will not vote for anyone who isn't LGBT friendly. I won't vote for anyone who doesn't believe in sensible gun legislation. I won't vote for a prolife candidate who wants to restrict access to abortion. I won't vote for someone who wants to gut the ACA. I won't support someone who wants to cut back social services and programs like Medicare and Social Security. So, if a fictitious Republican met these criteria....maybe? I'm not entirely opposed to some aspects of common sense fiscal conservatism, or at least fiscal moderation. That sand foreign policy are probably the areas I've moved more towards center left.
That seems reasonable and I'm not criticizing you for that, I was just curious what the cutoff point for "close enough to my beliefs" looks like.

If you think Bernie is going to run third party, you're paying too much attention to the day-to-day he-said she-said. There hasn't been any real reason to suspect it will happen.

That seems reasonable and I'm not criticizing you for that, I was just curious what the cutoff point for "close enough to my beliefs" looks like.

I don't think there's a current Republican elected official who I could vote for as a Democrat. If by some weird turn of events, the 2020 election was between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Andrew Cuomo, I'd actually have a tough decision because Cuomo is actually the terrible sellout that people Hillary is.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Not any weirder than Sanders supporters that love the Washington Times and the Blaze for their anti-Clinton articles.
Nah, that's just cherrypicking and desperation. Any port in a storm. If someone was a fan of The Blaze first and foremost and then found yourself leaning towards Bernie, that'd be weird too.

No worries. I've had to hold my nose and vote for people who weren't ideologically in line with my views. I'll be doing it in November for Strickland. I go with the least bad option I can get. Typically that's going to be the most left leaning candidate out there. But it's also going to be the person I believe can win. I'm a pragmatist at heart.

How many of you are proud Democrats? There's a fairly common trope regarding the disinterested millennial with no party loyalty and I'm wondering how many here don't fit that description.
I do. I'm involved with the local party up here in NYC and will probably run for party positions next year.

I'm a big believer in parties and their value. I think the millenials "I'm independent" hurts their ability to affect change

I think it's currently here on the scale

Fully Support Dem Nominee <----|- Not Give much of a Fuck -----> Run 3rd party

Honestly I don't see this happening, mostly because he just said he wouldn't do it.

I think that they just had a bad few days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...nders-joined-the-bernie-or-bust-movement-nah/

I don't think so. Even says he'll work to get the Democrat elected but doesn't say to what extent.

I mean, I hope not. I know he said he wouldn't, but his campaign has been on a roll lately and has me kinda down. There was a time I was gonna toss this guy my vote too.

I'm also wondering if the chances of a GOP brokered convention / 3rd party trump increase, so will the likely hood that he himself runs 3rd party.

*fist bump*

blackw0lf

Agreed. My mom used to really respect her as SoS. Now she's a Bernie supporter with no intention of supporting Hillary if Bernie loses. She has really bought into all of the hype on the emails. There was a brief moment after the Benghazi hearings where she was extremely impressed with Clinton, but watching Fox News everyday really brainwashes her.

That also goes to show though how quickly things can change when the entire Democratic Party apparatus starts uniting around her.

If there was strong support for Hillary before, it can come back.

Boney

Banned
Yeah, that's a lazy response.

I'll respond with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bacevich

He is too emotionally invested in the issue, which is causing him to be a bit too irrational. I feel for him having lost his son in Iraq, but that must make it incredibly difficult to be rational about things. Also, he appears to be arguing against troops in Afghanistan? I'll say our strategy in Afghanistan was iffy, focusing more on stabilizing the region would have been a wiser tactic, as lack of stability and economic activity leads to more terrorist cells.
Why do you call him irrational? They mention him being a retired Colonel, being a Vietnam veteran and losing his son in Irak. His position is obviously partial as he is anti war and anti occupation, and I would guess he goes in depth in his new book about the eternal war on the Middle East the US has engaging. Discrediting a scholar and an activist because he has a personal cause to fight for his beliefs is a bit condescending. Rationality isn't achieved by being a neutral outside party to the argument.

As for Hillary, he discusses how she seems a lot more reasonable and low key compared to the republican war dogs, but her position is similar enough in terms of the continued occupation of the Middle East. Bill Curry and Glenn Greenwald also go on record in democracy now in terms of Hillary's agressive regime change policy, not to mention Tulsi Gabbard major decision to quit the DNC and endorse Bernie was because she couldn't stand behind somebody so eager to push for war. So I don't understand how anything Mr Bacevich said was irrational.

I do. I'm involved with the local party up here in NYC and will probably run for party positions next year.

I'm a big believer in parties and their value. I think the millenials "I'm independent" hurts their ability to affect change
My Berniebros mom wants me to run for something. I'm more a behind the scenes guy. I lack the confidence to try.

Kids these days can't appreciate how revolutionary that stuff was in its time. I was legit blown away by the graphics in FFVII.

One of the advantages to be g born in the mid sixties is that I've been Wowwed by stuff every generation.

I do still think that Joust has some of the best graphics in any game, though. I remember the fist time I saw the ground burn away or the Lava Troll and being amazed.

My Berniebros mom wants me to run for something. I'm more a behind the scenes guy. I lack the confidence to try.

I always thought it would be fun to throw my name in if I ever saw a race that wasn't being contested by Dems at all. Just for the experience of being able to say you did it. If they're ever not running any state reps in my district, maybe I can get on the ballot. I realize it's probably not that easy or simple, but maybe I could have my name there if the Democrats aren't gonna bother putting anyone up anyway.

I always thought it would be fun to throw my name in if I ever saw a race that wasn't being contested by Dems at all. Just for the experience of being able to say you did it. If they're ever not running any state reps in my district, maybe I can get on the ballot. I realize it's probably not that easy or simple, but maybe I could have my name there if the Democrats aren't gonna bother putting anyone up anyway.

Oh I'd freak at that. She wants me to run for a party position, like just inside the local party. I'd love to hold elected office but I'm too afraid to try. Confidence is another mans game.

Oh I'm not planning on running for anything visible. Im the same way. There are open seats for party positions here though. The machine more or less still exists in the city. The party is weird here and there are literally thousands of positions

I'd likely never run for public office baring a personality transplant.

I'm gunning for behind the scenes stuff here.

I could be like someone's Chief of staff

ApharmdX

Banned

I'm 36 and I've been a registered Democrat since maybe 21? I have considered myself a Democrat my entire adult life; my parents are both lifelong Dems as well. Though my mother was so angry at Obama getting the nomination over Hillary in 2008 that she voted Green Party that year, lol.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Not sure specifically what types of attacks. I guess you mean the "corruption" stuff? Or more Secretary of State affairs?

I'm not much for attacking but rather defending, but her new strategy for New York consisting of "disqualify and discredit" and later unite the party upsets me even if it's standard political fare.

Chile. I'm following Sanders because I'm invested in seeing the USA steer towards a social democracy to lead by example for other countries to follow. It doesn't hurt that his integrity backs him up as well.

What exactly has she done to 'disqualify and discredit' Sanders? You mean like, say he isn't qualified to become president in an interview, and then have surrogates double down on it?

All the corruption shit, and other old and tired republican attacks are being recycled by Bernie fans

Hypothetically, would you start locally? If so do you know how corrupt your local city government is? Like how far up developers asses are they ..

My mother ran and landed on city council when I was in high school. She hated every moment of it. She was even sued by the other council members over some shit.

Oh I'm not planning on running for anything visible. Im the same way. There are open seats for party positions here though. The machine more or less still exists in the city. The party is weird here and there are literally thousands of positions

I'd likely never run for public office baring a personality transplant.

I'm gunning for behind the scenes stuff here.

No one ever resigns here. It's an establishment game. I still do the shit work happily, though.

Why don't you? You could do it.. You have the Charisma and the knowledge.

Well thank you. I have a terrible fear of failure the pales in comparison to my terrible fear of success.

ivysaur12

Banned
Someone like Tulsi Gabbard?

I would vote for the other candidate in a primary if Tulsi Gabbard was on the ballot, given that it's a heavily D district.

I would (grudgingly) vote for Tulsi Gabbard in the primary if it was a D+1 or R+something district.

I would do everything in my power to make sure a Dan Lipinski did not get the Democratic nomination. But would vote for him in November if he were on the ballot.

Hindl

"I'm an independent" = "I'm a low information voter"

No, it's "both parties are the same, so I'm an independent" = "I'm a low information voter". Having only two parties that are basically conglomerates of tons of different views means I can totally understand people who are informed but don't feel represented by either party. They just better have nuanced views on why they feel that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom