• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of foreign policy, Democracy Now! just had an interview with a professor of international relations from Boston University and war historian agrees with Sanders and calls out how worry some the national discourse has become towards war and calls Hillary an "Unreconstructed Hawk".

http://youtu.be/-7tQnPjNMeA

And if anyone wants to call Democracy Now! a random YouTube channel, Amy Goodman was just inducted into the IF Stone hall of fame for independant journalism and is celebrating it's 20th anniversary.

Nah, there are Youtube channels with far more viewers than Democracy Now! has ever had.

Mael

Good to know that Sanders will have the Pope to lecture on income inequality :p.

Awaiting several "The Pope just handed Bernie Sanders the keys to the White House" articles to come out in response to this.
Americans don't even give a shit about the Pope when he says that maybe we should be nice to each others, they sure as hell aren't going to care about the Pope endorsing Sanders.
Bernie also apparently asked for the invite which is apparently not courteous: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y-criticizes-sanders-s-monumental-discourtesy

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 what is the point in going to the Vatican when you're on the losing side of a very important primary?

There's this kid at Kroger getting grilled by some old guy. Kids got a Bernie shirt on and the guy is relentless. I feel bad. He says he's wearing the shirt because his gf got it for him. Poor kid.

Bernie also apparently asked for the invite which is apparently not courteous: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y-criticizes-sanders-s-monumental-discourtesy

I mean, if they didn't want him to go they could've send no. I don't see why if he expressed interest in attending and they sent him an invitation she would be mad about it afterwards.

EDIT: Someone else from the academy said this:
“It does not signify any support of the campaign,” Sorondo explained. “We want to establish a dialogue between North America and South America so we thought to invite a (U.S.) politician. The President of Bolivia will also be there. Perhaps the others (candidates) would have been interested but they did not request to come.”

Asked if Sanders had requested an invitation, he said, “He has expressed an interest many times in the Pope’s encyclical and it’s clear that he has an interest in studying it. It might have that effect, (of looking like they approve of campaign) but we are not looking to support the campaign.”

Mael

I mean, if they didn't want him to go they could've send no. I don't see why if he expressed interest in attending and they sent him an invitation she would be mad about it afterwards.

You're talking about the oldest national entity in the world, the fathers of diplomacy.
There are certain forms to follow.
He runs the risk of getting criticized for wanting to close freer trade which would negatively impact the poorest.
That seems like a totally unnecessary risk to invite yourself into this event..

kess

AulaPaoloVIPericleFazzini1.jpg

HELLARY 16

Iolo

There's this kid at Kroger getting grilled by some old guy. Kids got a Bernie shirt on and the guy is relentless. I feel bad. He says he's wearing the shirt because his gf got it for him. Poor kid.

Was the old guy Bernie administering a progressive purity test? I kid, of course.

So was this invitation to the Vatican from the Pope or not? It sounded like it was from news reports, but now it sounds like it was from an academy, and the Pope isn't involved.

Also don't understand why the academy head is saying this now or why she's being a little catty. How do all these parts even fit together?

The head of the academy said Friday that Sanders sought the invitation and that put an inappropriate political cast on the gathering.

“Sanders made the first move, for the obvious reasons,” Margaret Archer, president of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, which is hosting the conference Sanders will attend, said in a telephone interview. “I think in a sense he may be going for the Catholic vote but this is not the Catholic vote and he should remember that and act accordingly -- not that he will.”

Meow.

Bowdz

Iolo

NYT has "Bernie Sanders Accepts Pope Francis’s Invitation to Travel to the Vatican", but there's nothing in the article about the invite coming from the Pope. Also contains

Mr. Sanders, clarifying what he said earlier about a sit-down with Pope Francis, said he had not confirmed yet whether the two men would actually meet.

so maybe it was a little whoopsie.

Effect

Oh the Pope won't even be there? Then it's even less likely the media will be there to cover it. Why put the resources on that when he's the only one going to be there, asked for an invite and wasn't suddenly invited, the Pope won't be there, and the academy is making it clear this is not an endorsement of any kind. What is even the point of this?

With the number of unbound delegates still out there, I think Trump probably has to get to at least 1,212 before his shot at a majority is probably dead. There are 112 unbound delegates, so if he can get roughly a quarter of them to vote for him, he'd be fine, and I'd see that as doable for him.

Bowdz

Per the article earlier in the week, why doesn't Trump just buy out every unbound delegate he needs? Seriously, he has the money, it is legal, and money probably means more than ideology after a certain point. Just start cutting million dollar checks and buy out the 25 - 30 delegates he'll need. Seriously.

Per the article earlier in the week, why doesn't Trump just buy out every unbound delegate he needs? Seriously, he has the money, it is legal, and money probably means more than ideology after a certain point. Just start cutting million dollar checks and buy out the 25 - 30 delegates he'll need. Seriously.
Trump isn't actually that rich

kess

Oh the Pope won't even be there? Then it's even less likely the media will be there to cover it. Why put the resources on that when he's the only one going to be there, asked for an invite and wasn't suddenly invited, the Pope won't be there, and the academy is making it clear this is not an endorsement of any kind. What is even the point of this?

The pope isn't qualified, he's surrounds himself with gold and riches and lives in a palace, etc...

Drek

I would imagine he's looking into doing exactly that, but will want to see if it is necessary/how many he'd have to pay first.

Also, there is still a real chance that if it is going to cost him substantial money he'll just let it go and watch the GOP implode when they "steal" it from him at the convention. He's making a fortune on his next reality TV show after this, a brokered convention with calamitous results only helps him there.

And that's the core problem, that's a losing proposition because other than abortion, which is iffy as it stands since the current policy is already a compromise, they are all losing battles. So do they continue to lose elections perpetually, or how do they reform their party to be viable again? Would be nice to have a party that can actually negotiate and compromise.

They will continue to lose elections if they don't get a clue and do it right. It'll be really hard to change if a party only really focused on a certain demographic .

Hillary has high unfavorables but they're still a shitload better than Trump: http://bigstory.ap.org/964a930776394114978239b46005379b

Just 17 percent of Democratic voters say they wouldn't vote for Clinton in the general election, about the same share as wouldn't back Sanders should he win the nomination. Thirty-one percent of Republicans say the same about Trump.

Clinton remains the candidate viewed by the most Americans as able to win a general election, with 82 percent saying she could capture the White House. Just 6 in 10 say that of Sanders or Trump.

Iolo

Hillary has high unfavorables but they're still a shitload better than Trump: http://bigstory.ap.org/964a930776394114978239b46005379b

"I don't really feel like either one is that trustworthy," said Devin Sternadre, 26, a student from northeastern Ohio. "Most of the elections that have happened in the past I've felt strongly about a candidate, and I just don't this time.

C'mon dude, your first voting election was the current president.

How many of you are proud Democrats? There's a fairly common trope regarding the disinterested millennial with no party loyalty and I'm wondering how many here don't fit that description.

How many of you are proud Democrats? There's a fairly common trope regarding the disinterested millennial with no party loyalty and I'm wondering how many here don't fit that description.
I'm 30 and only voted D since I could vote.

But I don't consider myself a loyal Democrat.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I don't really think I was before, but I think this primary is turning me into one. I may start going to the meeting of the local democrats in my town.

I don't think I am a millennial though. bit too old.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
C'mon dude, your first voting election was the current president.

Hillary's ridiculously high unfavorable rating shows that the republicans and fox news have managed to successfully brainwash people with their constant attacks over the Bengazhi and Email scandals. I know so many people who just plain dislike her.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
R-really? That's your response? That's sad

Yeah, that's a lazy response.

I'll respond with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bacevich

He is too emotionally invested in the issue, which is causing him to be a bit too irrational. I feel for him having lost his son in Iraq, but that must make it incredibly difficult to be rational about things. Also, he appears to be arguing against troops in Afghanistan? I'll say our strategy in Afghanistan was iffy, focusing more on stabilizing the region would have been a wiser tactic, as lack of stability and economic activity leads to more terrorist cells.

not at all. 25.

Then again, it seems I come from a family of lefty-weirdos. That being said, you kind of have to vote D because the Republicans are bat-shit insane. The history of the D party is filled with monstrocities the same as the Republicans. Loyalty to a party seems to only put yourself in the position of being blinded to your own faults.

That being said, I'm a 'proud' American despite our flaws. I guess I just find being proud of ones political affiliation a bit silly.

Now that I'm settled down and have a house, I'm going to try to be more active in my community's politics. Being a legislative delegate was my first step!

I am but I think I have a weak mind or something cause after reading GAF for three years I've noticed I went from being staunchly conservative to basically agreeing with every popular viewpoint on GAF lol

Bowdz

Hillary's ridiculously high unfavorable rating shows that the republicans and fox news have managed to successfully brainwash people with their constant attacks over the Bengazhi and Email scandals. I know so many people who just plain dislike her.

Agreed. My mom used to really respect her as SoS. Now she's a Bernie supporter with no intention of supporting Hillary if Bernie loses. She has really bought into all of the hype on the emails. There was a brief moment after the Benghazi hearings where she was extremely impressed with Clinton, but watching Fox News everyday really brainwashes her.

I'm 30 and only voted D since I could vote.

But I don't consider myself a loyal Democrat.
Yeah, this question is mostly independent of how you've voted. By proud democrat, I mean "cares about the party success, consistently votes D, and is willing to compromise on issues as long as the party succeeds on the whole (implicitly because the party is mostly aligned with your interests)".

I don't really think I was before, but I think this primary is turning me into one. I may start going to the meeting of the local democrats in my town.

I don't think I am a millennial though. bit too old.
I live in the most conservative part of California. I don't have such an option. :/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
not at all. 25.

Then again, it seems I come from a family of lefty-weirdos. That being said, you kind of have to vote D because the Republicans are bat-shit insane.

I was once naive enough to think there was no way a man could use the office of the president as a personal vendetta. I was wrong. My earliest political memory was Al Gore talking about taxes, and thinking there was no way that was true. Of course I was in 10th grade and the internet was not much of a thing yet.

I consider myself to be a Democrat. I don't agree with absolutely everything the party does, but I do agree with the overall vision. Now certainly living in Chicago gives me a good perspective on why one should keep one's loyalty to the party in check, but at the same time I think a lot of people who call themselves independents are, on some level, lying to themselves.

TheFatOne

Also to anyone wondering why Bernie would go to the Vatican it gets people to stop talking about his fuck up calling Hillary unqualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom