• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
#Ritarepulsa is on stage for Bernie right now.

#Ritarepulsa promises Bernie will make the minimum wage GRROOOOWWW!!

I'm old and I didn't get this and had to look it up.

I was in High School when MMPR hit TV. I was too busy smoking dope and being rad.

#Ritarepulsa is on stage for Bernie right now.

#Ritarepulsa promises Bernie will make the minimum wage GRROOOOWWW!!

1V1GJTU.gif

I'm having a hard time telling whether Bernie Sanders is racially insensitive or a flat-out racist, but considering his continued attacks on a primary structure that empowers black voters as something that is somehow unfair, I'm beginning to lean toward "racist."

Slayven

I'm having a hard time telling whether Bernie Sanders is racially insensitive or a flat-out racist, but considering his continued attacks on a primary structure that empowers black voters as something that is somehow unfair, I'm beginning to lean toward "racist."

Nah, he isn't racist. Just single minded

Trancos

Nah, He is just a sore loser. He will dismiss anybody that doesn't fall in line.

He's neither...he's just losing.

hawk2025

People lash out after negative outcomes and are sometimes insensitive in general.

When people are losing largely due to the vote of a certain demographic, it's natural that it will sometimes sound very off. I think it's a GIANT step from there to anything resembling racism.

Tesseract

Banned

no, that's absurd.

Maybe. I suppose that his supporters being as dismissive of the largely black vote as he is, sometimes in overtly racist ways, is skewing my viewpoint here. I had one Sanders supporter argue to me that the southern states' votes shouldn't count as much as votes from the north, and when I asked him if maybe each southern state vote should be 3/5 of a blue state vote, he accused me of "not getting it."

It's probably not fair to conflate that more overt argument for systemic disenfranchisement with what Sanders is saying here, but they sound very much alike to me at this point.

hawk2025

For example, I said Dark Souls 3 wasn't very good when I died for the 5th time to the second boss yesterday.

Then I
fired my campaign manager
changed my tactics and got good!

royalan

Not racist. But definitely racially insensitive with two shots of vodka jackass.

I say jackass at this point because you CANNOT tell me that he and his campaign aren't aware that a rather loud sect of his voters are attributing his losses in the South to black voters being "low information". *whistle sounds in the distance*

So for him to continue playing into that with, "well, you know, the South... Whatever don't matter"... Yeah, ok Bernie.

As I usually do with Bernie, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's just frustrated and desperate and didn't really realize how poorly what he said could be taken. He likely didn't even realize by saying that, many people would take it racially.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I mean, not exactly? The entire crux of the issue is that Sanders is pretending he doesn't have to appeal to Democratic voters in the South using the GOP strength among the general electorate as an old, feeble excuse for it. It's basically the entire reason (outside of SC) why he didn't cross 40% in a single state in the entire region!

Sort of. I think if Sanders were winning the South and Clinton were winning the NE; there would be dismissiveness here towards the South. Look at the posts about Michigan and Wisconsin being less important because they are "too white". Folks (everyone, mind you) are playing up the importance of the states that vote for their candidate and downplaying the states that aren't voting for their candidates. That's not particularly abnormal or weird or anything out of the ordinary to be honest. :D

The fear I have about our "demographic" wins as the Dem party is that we're basically screwing every democrat not in a blue state. I am sort of a fan of the 50 state strategy, even if it's a bit weaker presidential wise, because I believe that you can win enough local races in typically red states with an eye on local politics (and letting Blue Dogs exist); such that you can sneak in a majority occasionally, or make the process of getting legislative majorities for laws much, much easier.

Not racist. But definitely racially insensitive with two shots of vodka jackass.

I say jackass at this point because you CANNOT tell me that he and his campaign aren't aware that a rather loud sect of his voters are attributing his losses in the South to black voters being "low information". *whistle sounds in the distance*

So for him to continue playing into that with, "well, you know, the South... Whatever don't matter"... Yeah, ok Bernie.

As I said earlier, the argument would be stronger if Hillary hadn't been winning in plenty of non-Southern states, and were I a Superdelegate, I would take notice of a candidate who won big in Democratic strongholds and swing states but was "down" because he got trounced in the South, which is mostly not going to go Dem in the first place. But that's not the case, so really, it's just people trying to shake the narrative that they have basically lost.

see, I wasn't paying too much attention to any posts decrying Michigan/Wisconsin as "too white" because I was too busy decrying both states for being desolate wastelands with bad college football teams

royalan

Sort of. I think if Sanders were winning the South and Clinton were winning the NE; there would be dismissiveness here towards the South. Look at the posts about Michigan and Wisconsin being less important because they are "too white". Folks (everyone, mind you) are playing up the importance of the states that vote for their candidate and downplaying the states that aren't voting for their candidates. That's not particularly abnormal or weird or anything out of the ordinary to be honest. :D

I don't recall anybody in this thread doing that. People were saying that Michigan and Wisconsin were unimportant because Bernie didn't and wouldn't win them by enough for them to really change the race, which ended up being the case. Not because they were "too white." The racial makeup was only really brought up to point out that these states could lean Sanders based on how he performed leading up to them.

People were saying those states were unimportant because their delegate wins were tiny and meaningless towards helping Bernie close his gap.

hawk2025

There is a wide gap between using demographics/location-based arguments to argue predictions and outcomes, and using demographics/location-based arguments to argue that certain outcomes don't matter.

The fear I have about our "demographic" wins as the Dem party is that we're basically screwing every democrat not in a blue state. I am sort of a fan of the 50 state strategy, even if it's a bit weaker presidential wise, because I believe that you can win enough local races in typically red states with an eye on local politics (and letting Blue Dogs exist); such that you can sneak in a majority occasionally, or make the process of getting legislative majorities for laws much, much easier.

see, I wasn't paying too much attention to any posts decrying Michigan/Wisconsin as "too white" because I was too busy decrying both states for being desolate wastelands with bad college football teams

If making fun of Michigan is wrong.. Well then I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Oh and screw the Badgers.

ivysaur12

Banned
Speaking of that.

Oh my god.

I was on the phone with my dad, talking about the primary, and he was surprised to learn that Cruz doesn't beat Hillary in head to head match ups. I asked him if he knew about Cruz's CV. He admittedly didn't, which is fine, so I started to rattle off some of his positions and once I got to the government shut down, he said "that was him??"

"Well, people hate Hillary"

"Yes but they hate Cruz and Trump more"

And then he went into a diatribe about how a friend of a friend knows a secret service person who said Hillary is awful.

(For the record, all my anecdotes about Hill are that she's fine, she knows people's names but it feels a tad insincere because you know it's to get something. But generally, like, tolerable and fine as a human)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Great cartoon. I still feel like the author took a little too much artistic license with Cruz. He is WAY uglier in real life.

Well it's not like he wants the paper to burst into flames! Even the cameras soften his look, if they didn't all of our eyes would melt. Everyone who has actually looked directly at him is now blind.

pigeon

Banned
it's a passing comment of support, echoing the feelings of everyday working class people.

If you can't handle that, it's time to step away from poligaf.

Literally the purpose of PoliGAF from my perspective is to provide a place where if people post uninformed one-liner posts I can point out that their position is bad and wrong.

Maybe other people get something else out of it, I dunno.

As I usually do with Bernie, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's just frustrated and desperate and didn't really realize how poorly what he said could be taken. He likely didn't even realize by saying that, many people would take it racially.

Yeah, I don't really think Bernie is like more than one standard deviation away from the mean level of racism for his age and class and whatnot. Fundamentally he just has a painful campaign positioning problem right now because he keeps losing demographics that are pretty key Democratic demographics and then has to find a narrative to explain why that's not a big deal. There is not a super good way to do that! But then go back and look at Hillary explaining that she's losing young women because they're not paying attention to how awesome she is. It's just a bad conversation to even have.

Bowdz

Well it's not like he wants the paper to burst into flames! Even the cameras soften his look, if they didn't all of our eyes would melt. Everyone who has actually looked directly at him is now blind.

So that's why his daughter didn't look him in his eyes when she denied that hug!

Trancos

Jennifer EpsteinVerified account
‏@jeneps
Sanders says "our path is with the math"

You can find the Path with the Math here

That is actually a very good soundbite (even if it's actually not true for Sanders).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom