• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit it, I did not see it coming that people would argue against Democracy. I knew America was tuning into an oligarchy, but I did not know that people would actually support it.

Ask California how direct democracy works out. It's not a good idea no matter how much you think it sounds good in principle. Taken to its extreme why even have representatives. Just let the public vote on every bill or supreme court case

Maledict

I will admit it, I did not see it coming that people would argue against Democracy. I knew America was tuning into an oligarchy, but I did not know that people would actually support it.

Democracy is not always good.

Judges should not be elected - ever.

Sheriffs should not be elected.

Attorneys should not be elected.

Leaders of political parties should not be - because if you don't have the backing of the actual party, the people who get elected and who need to get elected again, it does work. See countless examples in USA politics - McGovern. Carter. In the UK look at Ian Duncan-Smith and Jeremy Corbyn. Should members of the party participate? Probably. But it shouldn't attempt to be a simple election, because historically that's shown itself to be a bad way of choosing a leader.

Turning into? Weird direction on that arrow. The current primary system has only been in place since the early 70s. Candidates before then were solely picked by the party.

In most other countries, the selection of candidate/party leader is solely at the discretion of the political parties.

Well, details.

He wrote a story about a woman who is slowly turning invisible. and the only way she can regain her visibility is to write about herself in her diary. The kid's 13, and it was fucking on point. Like....insanely good. It was interesting, but it was so well written. I was damn impressed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He wrote a story about a woman who is slowly turning invisible. and the only way she can regain her visibility is to write about herself in her diary. The kid's 13, and it was fucking on point. Like....insanely good. It was interesting, but it was so well written. I was damn impressed.

That sounds pretty cool. That's what I'm talking about, somewhere along the way we all lose that sort of creativity for some reason.

Maledict

Also, there are benefits to having superdelegates that has nothing whatsoever to do with "protecting" the Party.

A President is not a dictator. At the very least, they need the support of elected officials within the party. By forcing them to woe superdelegates, it makes sure that they are not entirely out of step with the elected members of the party. A President who doesn't have the support of Senators and Congresspeople is not going to be able to do diddly squat. It forces them to build bridges of support with the people who can help them enact an agenda, It's also a good way to learn about issues that are important to different constituencies. There's a reason Hillary tailors her message to different cities, states and districts.

Yep, absolutely this. I know I keep saying it but look at Jeremy Corbyn - he's our Bernie Sanders, although he actually won the most votes unlike Bernie. He has zero support from the MPS in parliament and most local councils, which means he has a tenuous grip at best on the party and is utterly, utterly ineffectual.

Parties are private organisations whose purpose is to get elected through a common agenda. They aren't, nor should they ever become, substitute general elections where only the most passionate and fanatical vote.

I honestly think the primary system is a big part of the problem with American politics, Particulary on the right. It pushes you away from the centre, because the average voter doesn't participate, and to the extremes. It's not a good system at all.

Crayons

Banned
That sounds pretty cool. That's what I'm talking about, somewhere along the way we all lose that sort of creativity for some reason.

Yup :(

I remember being the dankest writer throughout elementary, middle, and high school. Now I can't even write good posts on internet messageboards

ampere

That is a cool idea.

Like just turning invisible or vanishing completely

pigeon

Banned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delegate#Democratic_Party

The distinction I draw is that pledged delegates are chosen at the state or local level through caucuses and primaries. Like the caucuses or not, they are still a Democratic process that allows voters to assign delegates.

Superdelegates are not chosen by the voter. They are an insurance policy for the Democratic Party by assigning them to people with power to ensure that a candidate like Bernie Sanders, who rejects their system and structure of power, is never elected to be president. They stack the deck against him by publicly supporting Hillary, giving her 15% of the delegates needed to win, two months before the races even started, which is then picked up by the media who make it look like she's already won because of the giant difference in delegates (she has 469 supers now). This skews the race enormously, a big reason why many people aren't voting for him is because they think he has no chance.

Rightfully complaining about the caucuses not being fair (and lets be honest, from both sides here, this entire primary process has been a disgrace to American Democracy) is not the same issue that I have with the Superdelegates. I hope that is clear now. Again, if it was up to me, everyone 18 and up can automatically vote, voting day is a national holiday and we have open primaries with same day registration in all 50 states. But these are two completely different issues.

As I've noted before, superdelegates are in fact chosen by voters. As your link makes quite clear, they are primarily people who have been elected to office for the Democratic Party. If you want somebody to be a superdelegate, all you have to do is vote for them to win a state or federal office. Easy!

So your distinction is in the main false. Voters chose those super delegates and put them in place to use their judgement to select the Democratic candidate. Maybe they didn't fully understand the system, but, I mean, nothing's more democratic than uninformed consent.

That is a cool idea.

Like just turning invisible or vanishing completely

Vanishing completely. The only critique I had was that the woman solves this visibility problem by randomly running into a woman in a bookshop who gives her a magic pen. I encouraged him to consider making her more proactive in the story so she's not just a passive person. Maybe she finds out for herself that writing saves her.

It was quite good, though.

Crayons

Banned
never give in or up. be yourself aggresively and make the world realize that it needs you

i love this quote and i love you

there aren't enough gay psychedelic romance novels

I have an imagination up there but in order to reach there I got to stop getting caught up with stupid feelings

sometimes I start by writing out stories in my life but then give up

I have these vivid insane dreams nearly every night and I always think they mean something - I want to incorporate my dreams and my texts and Skype messages all into a book

It wouldn't be fiction though. It'd be based on my life. cute boys. speeding cars. weed. that teen stuff

ampere

<3

I've been working on a gay, cozy mystery. It's getting close to done, but I'm too scared to send it out. Meh.

Self esteem is a hell of a drug.

Self publish on Amazon? No idea how that goes, but maybe an option. I guess you might still want an editor to review it though

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
<3

I've been working on a gay, cozy mystery. It's getting close to done, but I'm too scared to send it out. Meh.

Self esteem is a hell of a drug.

Gay mystery? Now i'd love to read that. I love mystery novels.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Self publish on Amazon? No idea how that goes, but maybe an option. I guess you might still want an editor to review it though

That's no fun. There's this excitement that comes from seeing your name in print that self-publishing just can't replicate.

HylianTom

Banned
I think it's been too long without a Hillary win so y'all are thirsty
We can smell those NY exit polls coming..

@ForecasterEnten
I did even realize we're under 72 hours before those first exit polls in NY.
giphy.gif

I think the fight over who has the worst college degree is important.

I have an English degree, but by largely ignoring it I've done very well.

Edit: and the fighting is no fun, but I am glad for the influx if Bernie supporters. Congrats, you are now PoliGAF establishment.

The issues with primaries can be looked at using exhibit A, the Republican party.

Because the GOP has to appeal to far right, enthusiastic crazy people, candidates have to have a purity test to see who is the further right of them all, and that person goes ahead. Unfortunately, that makes the person say and do things that absolutely destroy them in the general.

Now, I don't necessarily agree the party should select the candidate outright. I have a feeling we would have missed out on Obama in that case, at least until this year, but at the same time, I really feel that only those in the party should be able to pick the party's candidate. To me that makes sense. If an independent wants to pick a candidate, they're free to hold independent primaries, or change to a specific party if they want. But I also think we should push towards same day registration and mail in ballots for everyone.

I'm actually rather disappointed New York doesn't have mail in ballots. Likely my entire family would vote if that were the case, but as it stands, they just can't be bothered and I lack any real reliable transportation.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The issues with primaries can be looked at using exhibit A, the Republican party.

Because the GOP has to appeal to far right, enthusiastic crazy people, candidates have to have a purity test to see who is the further right of them all, and that person goes ahead. Unfortunately, that makes the person say and do things that absolutely destroy them in the general.

Now, I don't necessarily agree the party should select the candidate outright. I have a feeling we would have missed out on Obama in that case, at least until this year, but at the same time, I really feel that only those in the party should be able to pick the party's candidate. To me that makes sense. If an independent wants to pick a candidate, they're free to hold independent primaries, or change to a specific party if they want. But I also think we should push towards same day registration and mail in ballots for everyone.

I'm actually rather disappointed New York doesn't have mail in ballots. Likely my entire family would vote if that were the case, but as it stands, they just can't be bothered and I lack any real reliable transportation.

Yeah, the early voting/ mail in voting map is really weird looking
7IvXeR7.png

I'd guess based on the complete lack of GOP ads: Trump and Cruz don't think it's worth running ads for opposite reasons and Kasich doesn't have the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom