• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

CgQdrlaWIAEh6wp.jpg

Daniel B·;201200426 said:
For anyone else who's interested, Breitbart reported on it.

I didn't realise it was from January (I don't remember any of my comrades posting this ;) ), but I still think it qualifies as a Bill level "foot in mouth" comment, as it comes accross as a dig against Bernie's "extraordinary" grandchildren.

Derp. 'Progressives' using Breitbart as sources. I've seen everything now

The GOP has been attacking her since she was the First Lady, so that title came with almost as much baggage as it did perks. Would hardly call it "swooping in".

Also doesn't explain why a) she was voted in a second time; and b) why her time as senator is looked at favorably overall.
But don't you see that she wouldn't have the national recognition to pull that off without having been first lady? Is it realistic to think she could totally have pulled off a Scott Brown on her own? Has it become sexist to think that although Hillary is a talented and brilliant individual in her own right, she has also benefitted from her successful husband?

Gotchaye

You know why I didn't acknowledge them? Because it's exhausting to constantly have to parse your statements to insert compliments to sweeten criticism. Hillary swooped down from the lofty perch of first lady and won a senate seat in a state she had little prior association with. She supported her husband in his duties, but she ultimately would not have her level of influence to be able to win in NY were it not for him. And if she had been president first and bill won the ny senate seat, I would say the same thing about him.
I feel you guys are tossing around the pejorative sexist a little too liberally.

I don't think this is really engaging with the argument.

As I understand it, dramatis would have been fine with complaining about Chelsea Clinton having a political career kickstarted by her association with Bill even if Hillary had never held office.

The idea is not that Hillary helped Bill out at times. The idea is that Hillary's contribution was necessary for Bill's political success and she played a vital role in creating the conditions that made it possible for her to become a Senator. Personally, I have no idea how true this is.

If instead of a married couple we were talking about one wannabe politician working closely with another, serving as a close advisor to him as a governor and then let's say chief of staff to him as a president, then later winning a Senate seat in part because of their association with the popular former president, nobody would think it at all creepy for that Senator to later be Secretary of State for a different president and then to actually become president.

But don't you see that she wouldn't have the national recognition to pull that off without having been first lady? Is it realistic to think she could totally have pulled off a Scott Brown on her own? Has it become sexist to think that although Hillary is a talented and brilliant individual in her own right, she has also benefitted from her successful husband?
She bucked the current and shocked Conservatives of not being a Stay-at-Home housewife and actually made triple salary as a lawyer than her Governor husband.

She got nationwide name recognition yeah but it also carried the backlash among traditional roles purists.

Take Heidi Cruz now, she is more successful than her pissant husband Ted.

Today in 2016 it is acceptable for the wife ti be more successful than the husband

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Agreed.

Cruz has basically the same unfavorability ratings as Clinton in most recent polls and yet his policy positions (which are significantly less popular nationally than Clinton's) haven't even been touched on. Ignore his general ugliness and lack of likeability, once the dems start tearing into his positions on tax policy, immigration, and social equality, he'll be below Clinton and around Trump in terms of unfavorability (and that's not factoring in how much "stealing" the nomination from Trump will tank his favorability).

Not to mention I'm fairly certain the photos with Cruz and his mistress are out there and will hit in October if he is the candidate.

Someone in another thread mentioned they were in DC and people are 100% sure they'll come out.

OuterLimits

Even with an 18% margin in CA, I still bet that Trump would need a win in Indiana to get 1,237.

Well, Trump could grow his lead in California. Plus Jersey is the same day as California and is winner take all with 51 delegates. Trump will probably win Jersey. Indiana is winner take most. Winner of state gets 30, and 27 are based on who won districts. So it's possible Trump will at least get some delegates.

States left Trump will most likely do very well in. New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, West Virginia, California, New Jersey.

Other states left. Nebraska, Indiana, Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, South Dakota,Montana.

Zornack

So not only is Bernie not raising money for down ticket Democrats, he's actively campaigning against fundraising for them. What the hell?

dramatis

You know why I didn't acknowledge them? Because it's exhausting to constantly have to parse your statements to insert compliments to sweeten criticism. Hillary swooped down from the lofty perch of first lady and won a senate seat in a state she had little prior association with. She supported her husband in his duties, but she ultimately would not have her level of influence to be able to win in NY were it not for him. And if she had been president first and bill won the ny senate seat, I would say the same thing about him.
I feel you guys are tossing around the pejorative sexist a little too liberally.
And during your exchange with the other posters, I felt like everyone was dancing around what they should have said straightforwardly. None of them said bluntly what you said was sexist until I came along and just let you know what you were saying was sexist. So?

You never answered the question of acknowledging what support Hillary provided to Bill for his career. The breadwinning, the campaigning, the swallowing of his betrayals, the pursuit of policy and legislation? Apparently the act of helping Bill become president is not questioned but you have a lot of grievances over Hillary pursuing her own political career with Bill's 'assistance'.

By default the political opportunities offered to women are less than the opportunities offered to men. It is a testament to gender inequality that in this wonderfully progressive year of 2016 that we have a whopping 83 women out of 435 total representatives in the House. Women are 50% of the total population but they can only get enough opportunities to be 19% of the House. In the Senate we have an amazing 20 women out of 100 members. In history only 31 women have ever been elected to the Senate in EIGHTY FOUR YEARS.

White men are there all the time because they can have the privilege of not needing to rely on every bit of assistance they can get. You can evaluate it from purely an achievement perspective because you have never experienced sexism. You think it's a "problem" that women like Hillary can capitalize on the 'influence' of their husbands to get to the position of frontrunner. I'd argue that a woman can't get to such a position without having to capitalize on such connections because from the very start they were far behind.

"You're using 'sexist' too liberally, stop calling out sexist statements"—yeah, pointing out sexism is pretty annoying, so much more annoying than constantly tolerating sexism in the interest of 'fair opinions'. If I or someone else who notices don't point it out, who will? Should this be tolerated because people are annoyed at being called sexist and having to tread lightly? Is the person who asks for reflection on sexist statements the one who is wrong here, because you can't express your sexist statement freely?

I get it. Nobody likes being called a sexist. Nobody likes being called a racist. So instead of correcting their own behavior they complain that other people are dropping too many accusations of sexism. Maybe, just maybe, you should consider whether what you are saying is 'inserting compliments to sweeten criticism' or are you just being sexist and actually thinking that Hillary started her life on equal footing to all of the men in this race? You wouldn't have said the same about Bill. Because it would have been impossible for a woman to have won back then. Even now women haven't caught up.

ampere

So not only is Bernie not raising money for down ticket Democrats, he's actively campaigning against fundraising for them. What the hell?

Yea he's literally fighting against overturning Citizen's United at this point. How the hell does he expect to do that without the SC and Senate to confirm them?

teiresias

He's a delusional old man who's more interested in stroking his ego by continuing a doomed campaign than actually helping progressive and liberal causes become law - because when it comes to finance reform he'd rather act like they aren't the current rules and use them to keep the playing field even . . . pretty much how he approaches the process of the primaries, frankly. How anyone thinks this doofus could be an effective President is beyond me.

Or perhaps Devine is just Wormtonguing him to keep that sweet paycheck going for as long as possible.

Wilsongt

Kasich saying the shit he said Friday wasn't victim blaming.
Par for the course for a group of individuals who would make a woman carry a child of rape or incest to term.

Bernie Sanders's fundraising emails: All CON, no CONtext!

Hahahahahahaha!

One can argue that Hillary Clinton's high visibility due to being First Lady helped elevate her profile enough to eventually run for the presidency without either discounting Hillary's own hard work to take that opportunity and make it pay off for her or supporting a sexist system that doesn't allow women any opportunity other than being married to the right person to make their way as politicians (or corporate execs or doctors or whatever).

These things don't exist in a binary.

Plumbob

Not to mention I'm fairly certain the photos with Cruz and his mistress are out there and will hit in October if he is the candidate.

Someone in another thread mentioned they were in DC and people are 100% sure they'll come out.

Sounds exciting, but that's not really confirmation of anything

hawk2025

restofemail.jpg

^^

Thanks.

That's terrible and manipulative, IMO. And incorrect, too, even within its own premises -- given our current climate, flipping Congress may be important to getting a new justice that can overturn Citizens United.

His stand against Hillary's financing is understandable and warranted in carrying a campaign that differentiates itself. Doing the same for all fundraising is straight up irresponsible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cruz would drop out if there were photos out there, c'mon.

Cruz is absolutely delusional. It would not surprise me in the least if he believed he could dodge something like that.

https://twitter.com/word_34/status/721691131587612672

Bernie out here stealing college kids' ramen money like he's Ben Carson or something.

It's OK Bernie, we already knew you were toast in New York. There's no need to keep reminding us.

I'd love to see him propose a path to victory that doesn't involve winning NY and doesn't involve a big win in California either. Keeping her nonviable everywhere else? Getting every single superdelegate to support him? I want to know!

Bowdz

It's OK Bernie, we already knew you were toast in New York. There's no need to keep reminding us.

I'd love to see him propose a path to victory that doesn't involve winning NY and doesn't involve a big win in California either. Keeping her nonviable everywhere else? Getting every single superdelegate to support him? I want to know!

To be fair, they are fairly consistent with their path forward (ignoring Weaver stating they can still win the majority of pledged delegates last week) which is: no candidate will get the number of delegates needed to win from PLEDGED delegates alone, supers don't decide until the convention, we will continue to demonstrate that we poll better in GE matchups than Clinton, therefore supers will support us. It is delusional and essentially the exact same plan that Kasich has, but they are starting to get fairly consistent about stating it openly.

That being said, it will most likely not happen considering Hilldawg will probably take NY, sweep the 26th contests, win most of the June 7th contests, and probably have Obama support her publically once she reaches the threshold with supers like he did in 08.

hawk2025

To be fair, they are fairly consistent with their path forward (ignoring Weaver stating they can still win the majority of pledged delegates last week) which is: no candidate will get the number of delegates needed to win from PLEDGED delegates alone, supers don't decide until the convention, we will continue to demonstrate that we poll better in GE matchups than Clinton, therefore supers will support us. It is delusional and essentially the exact same plan that Kasich has, but they are starting to get fairly consistent about stating it openly.

That being said, it will most likely not happen considering Hilldawg will probably take NY, sweep the 26th contests, win most of the June 7th contests, and probably have Obama support her publically once she reaches the threshold with supers like he did in 08.

Well, consistent as of a month or so ago.

Before that supers voting against the will of the people was clearly wrong.

Bowdz

Well, consistent as of a month or so ago.

Before that supers voting against the will of the people was clearly wrong.

For sure. Comparing the Sanders campaign's statements on supers from February to their current statements demonstrates how politically hypocritical they really are. They are just as desperate to win as any other politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom