• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me these Super Delegates are more reluctant to change their pledge than they were in 2008. It's disappointing because I truly believe Sanders would win the General Election against a Trump/Cruz.

Isn't that why they are supporting Clinton? Because they feel she has a better chance in November? What evidence is there to suggest they are right?

They changed in 2008 because Barack Obama had a delegate lead. Bernie does not have anywhere near a delegate lead and abandoned the South. You can't abandon the south and rag on party officials, call them corrupt, not progressive, etc...and expect support form said party.

Aside from the Super Delegates, what are the forecasts for future primaries? Does Sanders have a realistic chance of winning of closing that gap enough to beg the question of a switch?

No. This primary has been over since March 1st despite the lack of acceptance from the Bernie campaign. I mean, in reality, it was over last summer. But whatever.

Aside from the Super Delegates, what are the forecasts for future primaries? Does Sanders have a realistic chance of winning of closing that gap enough to beg the question of a switch?
Polls show this and next Tuesday as being a bloodbath for the Sanders campaign.

The primaries scattered throughout May aren't really significant enough to make a difference and might very well be a wash anyway.

The next important primary date after 4/26 is 6/7 when California (and to a lesser extent, New Jersey) votes. Expect to see a lot of memes along the lines of "Bernie is down 400 delegates? Ha, California alone has over 500!" while ignoring that Hillary would need to completely crater below the viability threshold (the point at which a candidate is awarded any delegates) in order for Bernie to win enough delegates to make up the difference. That also ignores that Hillary won Cali in 2008 (and has been remarkably consistent in holding onto states she won then, the only exceptions I believe are New Hampshire and Vermont) as well as the fact that the polls have her leading there, although that could change.

Basically - the notion that Bernie could overtake Hillary in pledged delegates, or even come all that close is wildly fanciful. Hillary has something like a 57/43 lead in the popular vote right now. For all the whining about superdelegates being undemocratic and overturning the will of the people, Bernie is the only candidate who's stuck making excuses for why the supers should side with him anyway.

Her persistent evasion of the question of whether Israel used disproportionate force left a sour taste in my mouth. She strikes me as being more to the Right when it comes to Israel compared with some in the administration.

Where do Clinton supporters here stand on her views on Israel?

Snake

Is there a way for California to comply with the Affordable Care Act and still implement a single payer system if it wanted to?

Yes, states are allowed to design alternative health insurance systems, including single payer systems, if they can demonstrate that they are providing as much (or more) coverage at comparable (or lower) costs.

CCS

Banned
Her persistent evasion of the question of whether Israel used disproportionate force left a sour taste in my mouth. She strikes me as being more to the Right when it comes to Israel compared with some in the administration.

I don't agree with her, but they're not bad enough to be a deal breaker.

thcsquad

Is there a way for California to comply with the Affordable Care Act and still implement a single payer system if it wanted to?

They could get a 'state innovation' (or whatever it is called) exception like Vermont was trying to do. Having to get an exception was not what sank Vermont's plan, as far as I know, it was the cost.

I don't like it about as much as Bernie dodging the issue on guns. Both issues are the two issues where I disagree fundamentally

The thing is the Israel issue can be taken in the context of the setting while Bernie on the PLCAA is just weird considering what state he's trying to win

Voted for Sanders and I think they're bullshit, but I've also come to accept that no politician is going to be as strong or as tough against Israel as they should be, including Sanders.

Obama has been too soft on Israel too. It's a very messy situation over there, I'm honestly not sure what should be done

When a Democratic Presidential candidate cannot even question or discuss the use of force used when thousands died and more injured, what hope is there for policy?

My simplified answer is no one is perfect, even Bernie Sanders isn't perfect.

Obama has been too soft on Israel too. It's a very messy situation over there, I'm honestly not sure what should be done
My view is that Obama tried not to damage the situation with Bibi/Israel too much and ruin Hillary's chances. He never *truly* benefited with 2nd-term no fucks presidency because of this.

Are we forgetting Bibi pretty much campaigned against Obama in 2012 and tried to undermine him only last year in his own damn country? The situation with Israel has been tense for a while. We won't be cutting off funding for a while but I think we are slowly moving forward. I just would hope that Clinton wouldn't be any softer than Obama was and move us backwards

VRMN

When a Democratic Presidential candidate cannot even question or discuss the use of force used when thousands died and more injured, what hope is there for policy?

The politics have not really caught up to where we actually are in terms of policy. Many, many people in this country reflexively support Israel in any discussion of that particular conflict, regardless of what Israel does.

You have to deal with the politics as they are to start adjusting them towards where they should be. We have been making that shift, but it is a slow process due in part to public perception of the issue.

They could get a 'state innovation' (or whatever it is called) exception like Vermont was trying to do. Having to get an exception was not what sank Vermont's plan, as far as I know, it was the cost.
Vermont has a population of less than a million people and no major industries. California is, by itself, the 7th largest economy in the world! Or something like that. Cost seems feasible to me in this scenario.

Yes, states are allowed to design alternative health insurance systems, including single payer systems, if they can demonstrate that they are providing as much (or more) coverage at comparable (or lower) costs.
Ah, I see.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I don't like anyone's stance on Israel and Palestine. Hillary talks too much in support, I think she's closer to Obama than most will admit, and while Bernie talks a good game he's got a history that I don't like on the issue as well. Even Obama's probably not tough enough on the situation. The only way this gets solved is forcing both sides to the table and knocking their heads together until they manage to agree on terms. So far, no one in US politics seems willing to do that.

Is that permissable by DNC rules? Biden is the right choice in a "oh fuck Hillary can't run?" scenario

Pretty sure. If something happens at the convention to knock her out, Biden's the obvious choice to take over.

royalan

Christ that email from Bernie is slimy as hell.

Clooney's point immediately after saying that quoted line was that you can't change the campaign finance system without taking its money because you need to win the downticket seats to change anything. So basically the exact opposite of what Bernie keeps saying.

I want to shit on Bernie for this, but honestly the media in general is taking an L, because most of what I've seen has been doing the same thing.

CNN especially has been airing the clip of Clooney's comment, cutting it off right after he says "Bernie Sanders' supporters are right" and using it to say, "Well, it seems like George Clooney might be feeling the Bern!"

And I've seen several headlines that are just, "George Clooney calls Clinton Fund Raisers 'Obscene'"

A lot of the media has been misleading with George's comment and it's kind of gross.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How did I miss Ted Cruz wanting to go back to the gold standard?

The guy is actively torpedoing his General Election campaign before it officially begins.

BanGy.nz

Banned

The guy is actively torpedoing his General Election campaign before it officially begins.

He said it in the first debate just no one noticed because Trump was busy murdering JEB! at the time.

A Facebook friend a few weeks ago said Ted Cruz was saying everything Ron Paul was saying only with all that religion packed in there to actually win votes.

I didn't believe him.

Now?

A Facebook friend a few weeks ago said Ted Cruz was saying everything Ron Paul was saying only with all that religion packed in there to actually win votes.

I didn't believe him.

Now?

To be fair, Ron Paul didn't actively seek the deaths of Muslims around the world whereas Cruz seems giddy at the idea of the state murdering millions of Muslims.

To be fair, Ron Paul didn't actively seek the deaths of Muslims around the world whereas Cruz seems giddy at the idea of the state murdering millions of Muslims.

Oh yeah, their ideas on foreign policy are radically different. The one thing libertarians generally get correct only it's another extreme that also doesn't help.

Slayven

Polls show this and next Tuesday as being a bloodbath for the Sanders campaign.

The primaries scattered throughout May aren't really significant enough to make a difference and might very well be a wash anyway.

The next important primary date after 4/26 is 6/7 when California (and to a lesser extent, New Jersey) votes. Expect to see a lot of memes along the lines of "Bernie is down 400 delegates? Ha, California alone has over 500!" while ignoring that Hillary would need to completely crater below the viability threshold (the point at which a candidate is awarded any delegates) in order for Bernie to win enough delegates to make up the difference. That also ignores that Hillary won Cali in 2008 (and has been remarkably consistent in holding onto states she won then, the only exceptions I believe are New Hampshire and Vermont) as well as the fact that the polls have her leading there, although that could change.

Basically - the notion that Bernie could overtake Hillary in pledged delegates, or even come all that close is wildly fanciful. Hillary has something like a 57/43 lead in the popular vote right now. For all the whining about superdelegates being undemocratic and overturning the will of the people, Bernie is the only candidate who's stuck making excuses for why the supers should side with him anyway.
I expect the memes to get seriously dank

TBH, I think Cruz is a religious lunatic who just presented some libertarian ideas because when he was elected, libertarian ideas seemed popular. He was strongly for cutting the military budget before he realized it was unpopular and now is for massive increases in defense spending. I think Cruz would try to move the U.S. to a gold standard just to keep a campaign promise, but I don't know if he cares as much about gold as he does about murdering gay people, transgender women, Muslims, and atheists.

johnsmith

remember me
Gif for the day Bernie drops out
6yIYX2H.gif

I removed it because it's junk (they're apparently one of the worst pollsters there is) and was conducted well over a week ago. Not even worth posting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Omg, who's doing the thread for Tuesday? It should TOTALLY be Gangs of New York theme. We all know who Bill Cutting is.

Tuesday is still the April thread. Gangs of New York is one of my two options for the convention thread though, the other being the Apocalypse itself if Trump wins outright before then.

Aren't we using the existing thread?

We are and no one had better use Gangs of New York because that's what I'm doing for the convention if it's contested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom