• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Christ that email from Bernie is slimy as hell.

Clooney's point immediately after saying that quoted line was that you can't change the campaign finance system without taking its money because you need to win the downticket seats to change anything. So basically the exact opposite of what Bernie keeps saying.

Meowster

My parents were at lunch with one of my mom's good friends, a big lobbyist behind the scenes in the Republican Party and actively works for them, and my mom asked about Trump. She says that the contested convention WILL be happening but was not at liberty to say who they would choose. This'll be interesting if it happens..

Unrelated to politics but
Mr. Makhzoomi, 26, knew something was wrong as soon as he finished his phone call and saw that a woman sitting in front of him had turned around in her seat to stare at him, he said. She headed for the airplane door soon after he told his uncle that he would call again when he landed, and qualified it with a common phrase in Arabic, “inshallah,” meaning “god willing.”

“That is when I thought, ‘Oh, I hope she is not reporting me,’ because it was so weird,” Mr. Makhzoomi said.
Law enforcement officials arrived shortly after Mr. Makhzoomi accused the airline employee of anti-Muslim bias, he said. He was brought into the terminal and searched in front of a crowd of onlookers while half a dozen police officers, including one with a dog, stood watch.

Three agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation arrived and brought him into a private room where they questioned him, he said. They asked about his mother, who lives with him and his younger brother in Oakland. They also asked about his father, Khalid Makhzoomi, a former Iraqi diplomat who was jailed in Abu Ghraib prison by Saddam Hussein and later killed by the dictator’s regime, according to Mr. Makhzoomi. His family came to the United States in 2010.
Worst part
Zahra Billoo, the executive director of the San Francisco Bay Area office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said there had been at least six cases of Muslims being pulled off flights so far this year.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/1...ic-removed-southwest-airlines-plane.html?_r=0

hawk2025

Christ that email from Bernie is slimy as hell.

Clooney's point immediately after saying that quoted line was that you can't change the campaign finance system without taking its money because you need to win the downticket seats to change anything. So basically the exact opposite of what Bernie keeps saying.

But the email said "Here's the truth", so that's clearly a lie.

*does the same, sees the "little bit of math on a Sunday morning" post*

Thaaaaat's not very good math :(
It's ok, we just need to push Hillary below the viability threshold in California and we'll win!

All Bernie has to do is hit his "credibility threshold" and he'll be on track. What is that, 20%?

Watching the absolutism in the more fanatical Sanders supporters has been quite fascinating. You must be 100% in all ways, 100% in line with Sanders internet consensus (and not even necessarily what Bernie even says), 100% in agreement with affiliated social media groups. Any areas of disagreement? Out of the movement. Burned. Corrupt. And the cognitive dissonance in some areas is cringe worthy. We're deep into #NoTrueScotsman territory on some topics, too. It's starting to look like Gamergate's stubborn hive mentality, and I don't use that comparison lightly.

That Clooney swipe is a good example, as it blatantly ignores the reality of politics. Democrats would die in national elections without that kind of money coming in. It's not even money attached to corporations. A fraction of the money is going to Clinton. It's just money that wealthy people are choosing to donate, as if being wealthy and a Democrat is a crime. Hell, if I had that much spare cash I'd be all over that shit. It's George Clooney talking about how much he'd rather not have to do these events in the future. It's the message I 100% agree with and I 100% want to see a Democrat win the Presidency, along with a Congress that can actually help pass their agenda. That's something I would be interested to participate in! It sounds like it'd be a very memorable evening, which is the whole point for the donors.

If you lean Sanders? It's filthy, tainted money, period, regardless of the details. Anyone participating? A threat to democracy. They could well be dedicating their lives to all the same causes Sanders chases behind the scenes and it wouldn't matter. Because the money is being handed over at an event Clinton headlines it's corrupt. No middle ground. Absolutism only. To be a part of the revolution you must be 100% "pure."

I think someone says it every time, but the need to label everything in political cartoons is annoying

One of the things I love about the Onion's political cartoons is how they mock this. Between the labels that are completely literal (e.g. kids labeled "innocent kids"), the grim reaper with a label to assert something is bad/dangerous with no argument whatsoever, and things with a label and an arrow pointing to them with yet another label, "Kelly" has the conventions of hack editorial cartoonists down.

Watching the absolutism in the more fanatical Sanders supporters has been quite fascinating. You must be 100% in all ways, 100% in line with Sanders internet consensus (and not even necessarily what Bernie even says), 100% in agreement with affiliated social media groups. Any areas of disagreement? Out of the movement. Burned. Corrupt. And the cognitive dissonance in some areas is cringe worthy. We're deep into #NoTrueScotsman territory on some topics, too. It's starting to look like Gamergate's stubborn hive mentality, and I don't use that comparison lightly.

That Clooney swipe is a good example, as it blatantly ignores the reality of politics. Democrats would die in national elections without that kind of money coming in. It's not even money attached to corporations. A fraction of the money is going to Clinton. It's just money that wealthy people are choosing to donate, as if being wealthy and a Democrat is a crime. Hell, if I had that much spare cash I'd be all over that shit. It's George Clooney talking about how much he'd rather not have to do these events in the future. It's the message I 100% agree with and I 100% want to see a Democrat win the Presidency, along with a Congress that can actually help pass their agenda. That's something I would be interested to participate in! It sounds like it'd be a very memorable evening, which is the whole point for the donors.

If you lean Sanders? It's filthy, tainted money, period, regardless of the details. Anyone participating? A threat to democracy. They could well be dedicating their lives to all the same causes Sanders chases behind the scenes and it wouldn't matter. Because the money is being handed over at an event Clinton headlines it's corrupt. No middle ground. Absolutism only. To be a part of the revolution you must be 100% "pure."
Yooooooo.

It's like what are rich liberals supposed to do, not spend any of their money?

If I had that kind of money I'd be making full contributions to Feingold, Duckworth, Murphy, Hassan etc. without thinking twice.

It's very "fuck the rich!" mentality. Like as soon as you have money you cease to be a good person.

Anything to feel good about your dollar a month recurring contribution to Sanders I guess.

NeoXChaos

https://vine.co/v/itY6VgYWaWD

00df11d51d.gif

save this for June 7th.

HylianTom

Banned

That Clooney swipe is a good example, as it blatantly ignores the reality of politics. Democrats would die in national elections without that kind of money coming in. It's not even money attached to corporations. A fraction of the money is going to Clinton. It's just money that wealthy people are choosing to donate, as if being wealthy and a Democrat is a crime. Hell, if I had that much spare cash I'd be all over that shit. It's George Clooney talking about how much he'd rather not have to do these events in the future. It's the message I 100% agree with and I 100% want to see a Democrat win the Presidency, along with a Congress that can actually help pass their agenda. That's something I would be interested i participating in! It sounds like it'd be a very memorable evening, which is the whole point for the donors.

If you lean Sanders? It's filthy, tainted money, period, regardless of the details. Anyone participating? A threat to democracy. They could well be dedicating their lives to all the same causes Sanders chases behalf the scenes and it wouldn't matter. Because the money is being handed over at an event Clinton headlines it's corrupt. No middle ground. Absolutism only. To be a part of the revolution you must be 100% "pure."

It's another moment where Hillary's team makes pointed reference to the actual mechanics of winning and then governing, instead of relying on pixie dust in order to achieve success. The negative responses I've seen are heavy with emotional shrieking about tainted money/corruption/yaddayaddayadda, but weigh very little in actual substance.

I have a hard time taking this kind of response seriously. Want to paint a realistic alternative path? Point out a legitimate flaw in the Clinton campaign surrogate's thought process? You have my attention. But hyperventilating on personality traits and the evils of the process/structure/system itself? That's some damn tiresome shit.

gaugebozo

I find that anything said after the words "Here's the truth" or immediately before asking you to give money is usually bullshit, so this is a nice double whammy.
Rush Limbaugh's, "Don't doubt me on this," is a pretty good sign you just stepped in bullshit.

Teggy

"He is undermining the values that we stand for in New York and across America. And he’s hurting us around the world. He can say whatever he want to say about me. I really could care less."

Nooooooooo Hillary...

Wilsongt

It's ok, we just need to push Hillary below the viability threshold in California and we'll win!

All Bernie has to do is hit his "credibility threshold" and he'll be on track. What is that, 20%?
Come on, guys! Let's make 1.3mil phone calls by Tuesday and Bernie WILL defeat killary!

Nooooooooo Hillary...
So many people make that mistake these days. I usually make them dizzy explaining why it is could not care less. With a blank stare and a quick you're wrong as their only response.

Soooo, does Sanders showing no real desire to help the down ballot finally prove he plans to be a dictator when elected president and pass all of his laws without the SC//Congress/Senate's help/interference?
/s :p

Sanders deserves to be endlessly criticized for this shit with downballot fundraising. I can't believe how hard he is going in on trying to raise money for anyone but his own selfish self.

This kind of shit is actively harmful for this fall.

Amir0x

Banned
Sanders deserves to be endlessly criticized for this shit with downballot fundraising. I can't believe how hard he is going in on trying to raise money for anyone but his own selfish self.

This kind of shit is actively harmful for this fall.

Well, the good thing is this will all be completely and officially over soon, and then we can stop the pretext Bernie ever had a chance and start moving behind a candidate who actually understands the importance of funds for downticket races.

Brinbe

Two more days, then the madness hopefully ends and I can begin to pay attention again... And if not, PA/MD/CT/DE will definitely nail that coffin shut a week later.

Well, the good thing is this will all be completely and officially over soon, and then we can stop the pretext Bernie ever had a chance and start moving behind a candidate who actually understands the importance of funds for downticket races.

I mean how hard is it to say I understand why they feel the need to raise these large amounts of money but I hope during my presidency to lessen the amount of money in politics so that it is no longer necessary

I dont think bernie is going anywhere until Cali votes. And we gotta put up with another month full of smaller western states voting for bernie.

It seems to me these Super Delegates are more reluctant to change their pledge than they were in 2008. It's disappointing because I truly believe Sanders would win the General Election against a Trump/Cruz.

Isn't that why they are supporting Clinton? Because they feel she has a better chance in November? What evidence is there to suggest they are right?

gcubed

It seems to me these Super Delegates are more reluctant to change their pledge than they were in 2008. It's disappointing because I truly believe Sanders would win the General Election against a Trump/Cruz.

Isn't that why they are supporting Clinton? Because they feel she has a better chance in November? What evidence is there to suggest they are right?

They are supporting her because unless she gets thrown in jail, she's the winner

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

So you are suggesting that the Supers ignore Clinton's long history of work with the Democrats, her very large multi-million vote lead, her 200+ delegate lead?

Why would they?

hawk2025

Of course they are reluctant -- Sanders is handily losing the primaries.

Drakeon

Well, for one, they're not going to go against the will of the people. Hillary leads in votes cast and pledged delegates, so I don't see any argument for switching to Bernie that isn't a slap in the face to the Democratic process.

Two more days, then the madness hopefully ends and I can begin to pay attention again... And if not, PA/MD/CT/DE will definitely nail that coffin shut a week later.
For Bernie? Naw, he's going to drag his campaign's corpse* here to California where the death throes will be put on display. Lots of Bernie supporters on my campus, but he won't win the state. At least not by the amount he needs.

*Obviously not Bernie's actual corpse but I know how some people like to twist words.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, for one, they're not going to go against the will of the people. Hillary leads in votes cast and pledged delegates, so I don't see any argument for switching to Bernie that isn't a slap in the face to the Democratic process.

They need to have a really good reason to override the popular and pledge delegate vote.
That can happen, like if John Edwards's affair on his wife with cancer came up right before the convention and he had a lead in votes.

hawk2025

This post does remind me of how a child rapist attempted to indict Bill Clinton, but I am interested in this indictment in Brazil...

It's a grey, muddy clusterfuck at this point.

The current impeachment process being voted has weak legal standing, but there are a half dozen other accusations and impeachment processes ready to continue if this one fails.

I think it was a mistake to push this particular one, this soon. The accusation of campaign financing corruption is incredibly strong (the winning party's campaign manager is actually currently in jail for it), but it is not the argument being made right now.

Anyways, back to the US :p

gcubed

For Bernie? Naw, he's going to drag his campaign's corpse* here to California where the death throes will be put on display. Lots of Bernie supporters on my campus, but he won't win the state. At least not by the amount he needs.

*Obviously not Bernie's actual corpse but I know how some people like to twist words.

If he loses NY by 10+ and then gets swept next week I fully expect the only people still talking about California primary on the Democrat side will be Bernie. The media will fully move on to the impending GOP shitshow

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Can you explain why you give a crap about Bernie? He has PERSONALLY attacked you.

Not meus.

So you are suggesting that the Supers ignore Clinton's long history of work with the Democrats, her very large multi-million vote lead, her 200+ delegate lead?

Why would they?

Reminds me of Bernie's comment about the only reason she is leading in popular vote is because of the South. Like their votes don't count as the will of the people or something....

They are not moving because unlike 2008, Hillary is leading in delegates

Why would they?

Aside from the Super Delegates, what are the forecasts for future primaries? Does Sanders have a realistic chance of winning of closing that gap enough to beg the question of a switch?

Drakeon

They need to have a really good reason to override the popular and pledge delegate vote.
That can happen, like if John Edwards's affair on his wife with cancer came up right before the convention and he had a lead in votes.

100% agree, have to have a really really good reason to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom