• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i think everyone even republican state senators would like to fix public housing. the fact of the matter is that its not as simple as waving a magic wand and fixing it. if it was that easy it wouldve been fixed already. the fact is that finding $17 billion is not going to be easy. especially to fix something people consider entitlements.

Shit, what NY needs is more rent controls. When a studio costs $2000+ a month that's not right.

I'm actually wondering what new context the next dream will come in. Maybe I show up to work one day and I find out I've missed the last two months.
From what I hear it's still school. You're just back there for some reason.

Usually my dreams like these are set in high school. And if I fail the class my diploma, A.A. and B.S. are all invalidated I have to go back to high school.

CgVs_cHUkAAPcrB.jpg

Steve BrownVerified account @WGRZ_SteveBrown
.@billclinton helping himself to a French fry off a customer's plate. (With permission.)

Bill stealing votes and fries

I had this dream every single semester.

I'm waiting to see if it'll rear its ugly head this year too, even though I graduated in December.

I had that dream last month and I graduated in 2005. I don't think it ever fully goes away. Hell, last week I had a dream that I was opening Christmas presents at grandma's house and she's been dead for 15 years. The human brain works in mysterious ways. Which does help explain HA Goodman articles.

Warlords!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Usually I'm back in high school for some reason. And if I fail the class my diploma, A.A. and B.S. are all invalidated I have to go back to high school.

I get this one where it turns out I didn't actually graduate high school and I need to go back for a year to take a couple of classes. Then my high school crush is my teacher and oh boy...

ivysaur12

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...c-planning-multimillion-dollar-online-ad-buy/

The super PAC supporting Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign is preparing to spend tens of millions of dollars online to reach potential supporters in seven swing states beginning this summer -- the largest ad buy of its kind this cycle, according to the group.

Priorities USA is reserving $35 million in online advertising in Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio and Virginia, targeting millennials, Hispanics, African Americans and women who watch videos or use online streaming services. The group plans to make the formal announcement Monday.

Not spending in Wisconsin or North Carolina for now.

Young people falling in love with Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders is kind of weird when you consider both guys were a million years old.

I'm surprised that there haven't been more bad thinkpieces about this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Young people falling in love with Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders is kind of weird when you consider both guys were a million years old.

I'm surprised that there haven't been more bad thinkpieces about this.

That'll come after it's all over. Right now they gotta keep that horse race narrative going.

I get to (mostly) set my own hours, so I'll be taking the time off as necessary to celebrate and/or recover from celebrating. Assuming queen wins etc.

Iolo

"we haven't really thought about it"

and they are minorities too

I'm speechless

To be fair, "I haven't thought about it a whole lot" was also Bernie's answer to where he would imprison a captured ISIS commander... maybe they're trying to stay on message

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
"We can muck-up any messaging and outreach for $26.95 - I guarantee it!"
la-fi-mo-zimmer-mens-wearhouse-resigns-20130624

"You'll like the way you look"

Rent controls are just going to warp the market even more. What NY needs is more high-density housing.

That'll only do so much when everything is insanely priced. There was a building with micro apartments that opened up recently and it's like 2.5k a pop. There's a lot of overcharging going on.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Hillary 59-60
Bernie 40-41

I think the closed primary + registration closing in October is going to be much more brutal than people are estimating.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So you think the polls are oversampling those who think they're properly registered?

There's 11 million or so registered voters in New York and 6 million or so are registered as Democrats. I don't think the number of people who think they are registered and really aren't, or are registered as independent while thinking they're registered as a Dem, is very large.

Sanders 51
Clinton 49

Sad.
Mess.
Plz ban.

ALL of my anxiety dreams are my teeth falling out/being loose. It's the scariest shit. I have dental phobia anyway, and that shit just traumatizes me.

(A dentist actually slapped me when I was 5 after trying to fill a cavity without numbing it...)

Ever seen Top Secret with Val Kilmer?

No, but I looked it up and it sounded amazing.

Usually my dreams like these are set in high school. And if I fail the class my diploma, A.A. and B.S. are all invalidated I have to go back to high school.

I've had the going back to high school dream too (for senior year). It happened when I was younger - think 22/23 - and they always fucking said "yes".

User 406

Banned
ALL of my anxiety dreams are my teeth falling out/being loose. It's the scariest shit. I have dental phobia anyway, and that shit just traumatizes me.

(A dentist actually slapped me when I was 5 after trying to fill a cavity without numbing it...)

Haha, it's funny, I have no problem with dental work, in fact I prefer it without novocaine coz I hate how it makes me feel for hours afterwards. I love it when the hygienist digs around my gumline with the metal scraper thing, I totally understand how those crocodiles with the birds feel.

So while I may not have had a dental anxiety dream about myself, I have had them about my wife and son. For some reason the idea of them losing teeth just freaks me out. Break mine with a hammer, fine, I'm cool with implants, but not them. :X

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So you think the polls are oversampling those who think they're properly registered?

There's 11 million or so registered voters in New York and 6 million or so are registered as Democrats. I don't think the number of people who think they are registered and really aren't, or are registered as independent while thinking they're registered as a Dem, is very large.

Twofold

A) I think they're oversampling it a little bit - just because even as we're seeing on the GOP side, people are forgetful about such things (see Trump's lawyer, who registered as a Dem).

B) I think a lot of the Sanders supporters are losing momentum and drive as the narrative turns to "How big will Clinton win" more so than anything. I think it's started to hit home that after NY, Sanders is done for. On top of it, I think Clinton supporters see this as a chance to end the primary once and for all, so they will be more motivated to come out and vote.

Also - 538's polling plus prediction has Clinton at around 61. So it's not a reach in any means.

Fuchsdh

"You'll like the way you look"

That'll only do so much when everything is insanely priced. There was a building with micro apartments that opened up recently and it's like 2.5k a pop. There's a lot of overcharging going on.

The problem is rent controls are haphazard and usually just squeeze one part of the balloon, passing costs onto everyone who doesn't have the shield. In the worst case scenario, they strongly discourage more building and only worsen the housing crises, especially in cases like NY where rent is tied to an apartment rather than a person.

At the end of the day there's only so much housing stock you can stick in a city populated by millions of people, unless we move into megacity territory and destroy the aesthetics people like. Yeah, this sucks—I'm already mentally preparing myself for the reality of how much my wife and I are going to burn on rent when we move to a (non-trendy) part of Brooklyn. But you don't have a right to keep living where you've always lived, and while I see benefits in trying to have a mixed economic populace I think there's a point it stops being feasible.

Realistically while you can shift resources into directly subsidizing housing for the poor, I don't see any option for middle-class rent-burdened people besides "leave" and go to the next city where you can afford to live and the process repeats itself. Today it's New York and DC, tomorrow it'll be Philadelphia and Baltimore, Richmond and Wilmington. Maybe slowing population growth will solve this down the road in our lifetimes, I dunno, or maybe the expulsion of the artists and creatives and such will end up eroding the prices of rents as they become intangibly less desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom