• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaekeem

Money in politics need to be regulated. But Bern outspending Hillary in NY 2:1 and probably losing, as well as that wrestling lady in California spending 50 million of her own money and losing the senate seat shows that the law of diminishing returns applies to money in politics. I like to imagine the money going towards ads helps the public "know" who the candidates are, but there is only so much you can know before you make up your mind. No amount of money will help you if people don't agree. It's like a tank of water being filled. After pouring x amount of money, it just overflows. SuperPACs included. I don't think this is an existential threat to democracy as Bernie makes it out to be. Lets not forget, Jeb Fucking Bush dropped out despite having the record and all the money in the world to support him.

The existential threat to democracy IMO is the voting restrictions red state governors pull. It always rustles my jimmies to hear about people being denied to vote, like that black guy who was turned away despite having 3 IDs. This shit needs to be tackled with and slammed to the ground ASAP.

I think the impact of money in presidential elections (which almost everyone already cares about) and really hot topic issues like abortion (which most people have strong opinions on one way or the other) is pretty overrated.

But if you've got a local judge up for election or something, then a massive flow of funding to one side has massive effects. That was the smart thing about the Tea Party, I think. You get the most returns out of your investment if you focus on funding local, grassroots elections.

You go to broad, trending topics instead of heavily curated ones. Now, this isn't super possible on Facebook (it could customize your sidebar with top posts from different viewpoints based on a "what are you interested in" question, but you still can't force opposing sides to friend each other), but that doesn't matter. People always segregated their friend groups like this. But other places like Twitter/Reddit/etc... need un-filterable content (based on interest) so that you have to catch those topics. If you say that you're interested in politics, you should get op-eds from Fox News, MSNBC, HuffPo, etc...

My father-in-law is a Trump supporter, but he's had a Baltimore Sun (pretty liberal) subscription for years, with no plans to cancel it. He reads it cover-to-cover, promptly states, "Well that was stupid," and recycles it. But I like that he's open to other viewpoints. Internet aggregation sites should try to curate that stuff less and less as time goes on.

That would require a complete change of the upvote/downvote mechanic on reddit (tbh the smaller subreddits are generally a bit better though its also easy for those to become echo chambers too (r/conservative and r/the_donald are absurd).

Easier solution: everyone has to take MDMA microdoses every day to amp up the intrinsic empathetic ability and dopamine antagonists to lower the thrill in echo chambers.

Pretty much this. If this primary has demonstrated anything to me, it's that money counts for a hell of a lot less than I thought it would back in 2008. Bush gets absolutely bodied despite amassing a warchest that dwarfs like the rest of the Republicans combined. Walker goes broke and drops out first despite being the so-called golden boy backed by the Kochs. Trump is being dramatically outspent and, despite the delegate shenanigans, is still winning a handy plurality of votes. And it's true on the left, too. Bernie's money is mostly coming in small donations, yeah, but he's still spending and amassing more of it, to remarkably little effect.

There's still too much damn money in politics, but a critical threat to democracy it is not.
Not in presidential elections, no.

The more dangerous effect of money in politics are in the form of guys like Art Pope, the Koch brothers etc. being able to buy out city councils, school boards, state legislatures... Where all it takes is a couple thousand to seal the deal. But that's not as sexy as the presidential election so people would rather bitch about those.

I think most people who care a ton about money in politics are mostly concerned with congress/more local things that don't have the advantage of absurds amounts of free media (imagine if trump had to pay for his air time, then money would really matter).

ColdPizza

Banned

FksNKMk.png

Not in presidential elections, no.

The more dangerous effect of money in politics are in the form of guys like Art Pope, the Koch brothers etc. being able to buy out city councils, school boards, state legislatures... Where all it takes is a couple thousand to seal the deal. But that's not as sexy as the presidential election so people would rather bitch about those.

True. I'd attribute that more to greater organization than more money, though. I mean, you need money to make organization happen, but still. There was this great bit on the Daily Show a while back about how in... I think 2012, the Kochs lost basically every single small election they tried to game by playing it national politics style. Just dumping money into it isn't enough.

Hey, he's admitting that they've suffered discrimination. That's moderate by Republican standards.

kess

If purity of intent is what matters, McCain ran on public election financing in 2008. I do think money in politics has a greater effect further down the line, especially in less visible races.

What is Bernie's solution to our corrupt campaign fiance system? Is it just overturn Citizens United and then : poof : it's all good? Does he have a detailed plan to deal with the problem? Or is this just another one of his issues where he can diagnose the problem but he'll look into a solution at a later date.

Teggy

Just got this. It asked for $19 at the end. I actually already gave today.

I want to let you know about a development that just occurred, because it matters. The tone of this primary matters, and the condition of our party at the end of it will matter as we prepare to face Donald Trump or Ted Cruz this fall.

Earlier today, the Sanders campaign wrote a letter to the Democratic National Committee, falsely accusing us of violating campaign finance law.

You won’t be surprised by what happened next: 26 minutes after the letter was sent, his campaign sent a fundraising email attempting to capitalize on the phony charges.

(Before you read any further, let's get one thing straight: this accusation is false. They're questioning our joint fundraising agreement with the DNC, which allows us to support Democrats running up and down the ticket -- the same fundraising structure used by President Obama in 2008 and 2012.)

This latest incident is part of a troubling pattern of behavior -- occurring just as Bernie’s mathematical odds of winning the nomination dwindle toward zero -- in which Sanders and his team are not just debating us on issues (which we all agree is perfectly fair), but rather attacking Hillary Clinton’s character, integrity, and motivations.

The fact that they include the Democratic Party in these charges -- an organization we want future generations of progressives to trust and support -- further confirms that the Sanders campaign has let things get out of hand in its waning days. To wit:

Over the weekend, they had protesters outside one of our fundraising events -- one whose proceeds went not just to Hillary for America, but to the Democratic National Committee and 32 state Democratic Parties -- throwing dollar bills at Hillary’s motorcade, as if they were at, shall we say, an adult entertainment venue. This was just days after someone introducing Bernie at a rally called Hillary a “Democratic whore.”
In last week’s debate, Bernie questioned Hillary’s commitment to fighting climate change because a whopping 0.2% of the money given to our campaign has come from employees of oil and gas companies. Not even 2%, mind you: 0.2%.
And of course, Sanders spent several days calling Hillary unqualified for the presidency, based on an entirely false claim that Hillary had said the same about him. She hadn’t (and still hasn’t, even after what he said).
To be clear, we welcome a debate on the important issues facing Americans, like how to prevent gun violence, encourage tolerance, and do more to level the playing field for Americans who are counting on us.

But it’s hard to see how anyone -- other than Donald Trump and Ted Cruz -- benefits from this downward spiral of irresponsible and baseless attacks. Right about now is when we ought to be talking about coming together as a progressive movement, not undermining a generation of voters’ faith in the Democratic Party and in the woman who is almost certain to be its nominee.

Thank you for everything you do to support our campaign.

Robby

Robby Mook
Campaign Manager
Hillary for America

kess

Kasich snaps at reporter who asks him about his single win

"Listen, at the end of the day I think the Republican Party wants to pick somebody who actually can win in the fall..." Kasich began.

“If you’ve only won Ohio…” Sevastopulo butted in.

“Can I finish?” Kasich said testily.

“If you answer the question,” Sevastopulo responded.

“I’m answering the question the way I want to answer it,” Kasich said. “You want to answer it?”

Kasich then snatched Sevastopulo’s voice recorder out of his hand and turned it toward him: “What do you think?”

"I think you should answer the question," Sevastopulo said.

Lol I went to a Hillary phone bank and was talking to my friend and this dude. Like 10 minutes in my friend goes. Hey this is xxxx city council man for xxxx.

Lol some NYC city council dude was just phone banking for Hillary and shooting the shit with us about the best Brooklyn bars.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I feel like Reporters should get a raise when they can manage to get that kind of response without being an asshole. It's doing the public a service.

Shit, that was a reasonable question all around, and I can think of several responses Kaisch could have given that were not 'Yeah, i'm an asshole'.

Small point, he usually says its about VAWA and not assault weapons ban. Very well sourced article but it begins to veer into gish gallop style with the sheer amount of arguments. I'm sure there could be an equivalent article for pretty much any politician and its pretty easy to twist half truths with barely any chance for anyone to refute every point.

But the stuff said about unrealistic platforms is pretty spot on even though I like bernie, there are things you can do with healthcare that aren't a huge political battle like single payer that hillary isn't really pushing.

You're right... buuuut only Sanders runs as the litmus test progressive and a paragon of morality and consistency and honesty.

It could also be they made a very easy political decision: endorse hillary so they don't get on her very serious shit list and even if bernie wins its not like hes gonna give them the cold shoulder.

Still dumb of sanders to call them establishment.

Only person who has a shitlist is Sanders.

Trancos

So apparently be TYT, Sanders campaign and S4P are calling for all ineligible registered voters to still show up at the polls and vote on a provisional ballot. They think a judge will change election rules on Election Day at 9 AM.

Knowing the incredible power that Sanders campaign has to mobilize freaked out people over social media (see Nevada and lol Missouri), and guessing the huge number of young people ineligible to vote I think it will be chaos at some polling stations.

And I can't help but think that that's actually the plan. No judge will open the primary on Election Day.

that's actually me with the list

It should be pointed out that that New York Daily News interview was mostly taken out of context. Could have been better, but it's more evidence that Bernie is not good at parsing his words and eliminating phrases that can be taken out and turned into sound bites.

so he's kinda like me at some job interviews, except i'm not interviewing to become the president of the united states

So apparently be TYT, Sanders campaign and S4P are calling for all ineligible registered voters to still show up at the polls and vote on a provisional ballot. They think a judge will change election rules on Election Day at 9 AM.

Knowing the incredible power that Sanders campaign has to mobilize freaked out people over social media (see Nevada and lol Missouri), and guessing the huge number of young people ineligible to vote I think it will be chaos at some polling stations.

And I can't help but think that that's actually the plan. No judge will open the primary on Election Day.
Yeah cause chaos at the polls. Sounds like a good idea.

Closed primaries are legal and there's precedent saying so. You don't get to change the rules the day of just because they're not favorable to you.

What? I definitely read here that hillary has a well known list of people who burned her which definitely makes it pretty simple politically who to pick even if you do rate sanders better by your own standards but w/e

The only person who has publicly attacked anyone over endorsing their opponent is Sanders:

Planned Parenthood, HRC, Emily's list, Clooney.

royalan

It should be pointed out that that New York Daily News interview was mostly taken out of context. Could have been better, but it's more evidence that Bernie is not good at parsing his words and eliminating phrases that can be taken out and turned into sound bites.

How can a full transcript be taken out of context?

That article has to decipher Bernie's own words as though he was speaking a different language.

That article has to decipher Bernie's own words as though he was speaking a different language.

Yeah taken out of context is the wrong way to phrase that. His interview was still disastrous whether he knew what he was talking about or not, but he isn't completely delusional on his own plan I guess

Trancos

There is a whole transcript of the whole interview. Word by word.
What that article is trying to do is explaining what he 'thinks' Sanders was trying to say but couldn't.
He is not citing sentences that where left out of the printed interview. He is just spinning what Bernie 'really' wanted to say.

He should have worked on his GOTV efforts months in advance to get new people registered. Mess.

Well, looks like we already found tomorrow's excuse/conspiracy theory and also next week's sue states with closed primaries strategy.

No, the parts of the transcript that everybody is going "!!!!" to are taken out of context. The article's points re: Sanders' answers - that the administration has the authority necessary under Dodd-Frank, that how the banks want to divvy themselves up should be up to them, as long as they do so, and that Sanders can't be expected to have studied the legal implications of an opinion that hadn't been published at the time of the interview - are basically correct. I read the interview, and it reads like, well, a pretty normal political interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom