• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interview with the Hillaryis44 people would be pretty great.

It's hilarious how, after their hard right turn, they haven't gone back even though Hillary's running. Last I checked it was mostly pro-Trump stuff with the occasional bit about how the Democrats were going to steal the nomination from her (I think it was to give it to Biden or something, I don't quite remember).

NeoXChaos

So hillaryis44 got its name because she was supposed to be the 44th president? 💀

Wowow I finally got it. 💁🏼

sam b should do a hillary voters segment. They will all be articulate and insightful im sure

Lol lolo

I am gonna gather lots of Twitter receipts to also make assumptions and generalizations about Hillary supporters.

I wonder if the conservatives that say we shouldn't take in Muslims because they might hate gay people and women (statistically!) think that California should ban immigration from West Virginia or Oklahoma.

Brinbe

24 hours from now and we can begin shoveling the dirt on that Sanders campaign coffin and finally, hopefully, start looking to the general. can't wait...

Sianos

Dang it, had a long reply and then deleted it accidentally <cry>

I've guest taught for the missus at Notre Dame, and I do think that the younger generation will handle it a lot better than we have. Since it's something they've had all of their lives growing up, I think they see it as more of an extension of the real world rather than those of us who grew up pre social media / internet, but then had it come into being during college / adulthood. I think our idea of a representative world is skewed, and that we often think our own online circles are representative, when they're instead heavily self-selected and biased.

Don't get me started on speech - I think you and I share similar thoughts on speech (and how to fight hateful speech) being Popehat readers. :D

Ah, that's the worst, I hate when that happens. :<

True, I think I'm being too reductive and not considering the people who merely let down their persona of politeness and are just being generally rude as opposed to those who are explicitly and directly hateful. I do think that the way a person acts online is reflective of at least a facet of their personality - people are who they are in (what they think is) the dark - and the abstract nature of internet conversation to those who are not saturated by it in conjunction with the perceived lack of direct consequences leads to them putting in less effort towards being kind and letting some of their darker side out.

People are also complicated and sometimes positive aspects in one area can coexist with negative aspects in another. People can be lovely in one context and unpleasant in another and manage to self-justify it to some unknown (usually flawed) internal moral code. I've known some people who were very progressive concerning gender issues (for their own race) yet were surprising racist, ironically refuting arguments about intrinsic gender inferiority and then using those same arguments about intrinsic race inferiority. I've met people who seemed so kind that I was shocked when they started talking about their feelings towards "the Jews". I believe that you can analyze people both in terms of individual qualities and facets and as a general composite of all of their traits. Related to how its possible for someone who hasn't demonstrated a general trend of being racist to say or do something that is racist, and how calling out how that particular statement or action doesn't suddenly brand them a permanent racist. Similarly, perhaps these people have a fragmented empathy in certain contexts but not others for various reasons.

Hillary, I like you, but you are a religious lunatic:

The first is the importance of religious freedom. The Book of Exodus recalls how the Pharaoh denied the Israelites the right to worship as they chose. Today, there are new threats to religious liberty and an alarming rise in anti-Semitism. In many parts of Europe, we’ve seen synagogues vandalized and gravesites desecrated. International efforts to malign and isolate the Jewish people – like the alarming “BDS” movement – are gaining steam.

Jesus Motherfucking Christ on a Donkey Dick, come the fuck on.

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/fighting-oppression-inequality-and-injustice-on-passover/

I love how U.S. politicians have shit to say about all the antisemitic tropes Americans actually believe in ("Jews control the banks!") and won't even force Twitter to ban its NeoNazis that hurl abuse on Jewish users, but will compare a protest movement to the fucking Exodus.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah, going to have to push back "|OT5| Nation Prepares to Say Goodbye to Cleveland" again.

pigeon

Banned
Hillary, I like you, but you are a religious lunatic:

Jesus Motherfucking Christ on a Donkey Dick, come the fuck on.

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/fighting-oppression-inequality-and-injustice-on-passover/

I love how U.S. politicians have shit to say about all the antisemitic tropes Americans actually believe in ("Jews control the banks!") and won't even force Twitter to ban its NeoNazis that hurl abuse on Jewish users, but will compare a protest movement to the fucking Exodus.

The first line of this article made me have a Bernie moment.

"I didn't grow up celebrating pesach, but over the years I've attended a lot of Seders."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME HILL

YOU ARE A PHONY

BREAK UP THE BIG BANKS

THE BUSINESS OF WALL STREET IS FRAUD

Okay, I'm better now. But seriously that article is depressing.

I'm nervous that I'm really going to miss when Hillary was only the second or third most powerful person in America.

ampere

?

How do you propose politicians ban harassment on twitter? I don't ask because it's not an issue, I ask because I'm not sure what solution you think exists. Accounts are free and people can just endlessly create them

?

How do you propose politicians ban harassment on twitter? I don't ask because it's not an issue, I ask because I'm not sure what solution you think exists. Accounts are free and people can just endlessly create them

Just have meetings with Twitter execs where they dress them down and then threaten to call out Twitter as a breeding ground for actual Nazis in public unless they more quickly respond to harassment.

There are dozens of NeoNazis I recognize on Twitter who have >20k tweets without getting banned and these people will even send anti-Semitic slurs to Jewish journalists.

Iolo

The idea of calling Hillary Clinton of all people a "religious lunatic" is only made more laughable by the presence of Ted Cruz in the race.

The idea of calling Hillary Clinton of all people a "religious lunatic" is only made more laughable by the presence of Ted Cruz in the race.

There are levels!

Comparing BDS to the Exodus (and seeming to pretend that the Exodus happened) is completely deranged.

Even if she's only comparing BDS to the hypothetical banning of Judaism in Egypt.

FksNKMk.png

7-11 was a part-time job.

Well, I'm dead.

So we have

Option 1: Trump: The nightmare candidate from the "How to lose everything and destroy your party for Dummies" guide on elections

Option 2: Cruz: A qualified and certified grade A asshole who has the uncanny ability to make people want to punch him in the face the second his his lips separate and what can only be constituted as verbal diarrhea starts spewing from his mouth

Option 3: Kasich: One female reporter away from having a mental collapse and destroying his election bid, which is great for him considering he's going to have to debate a women a handful of times on national TV.

This is playing Russian Roulette with a loaded gun,.

Reagans_with_the_Clintons.jpg

Just found this picture on Wikipedia of Hillary Clinton with then president Ronald Reagan at a governor's dinner in Arkansas. I wonder what he would say back then if he found out that the woman he was talking to would be the first woman president of the United States? And probably the most accomplished woman in American history?

pigeon

Banned
You really think Clinton isn't religious?

That is a wild misunderstanding of my post. Of course Hillary is religious, but she's a Gentile who lived in Arkansas.

I am also religious, and I also didn't grow up celebrating Passover. I also didn't grow up learning Hebrew or speaking Yiddish. That's why I call it Passover and not Pesach, to avoid grabbing and displaying cultural touchstones to which I am not entitled. Like if Mitt Romney went and took Communion on Easter, I would have feelings about that.

It just crossed the line of obvious pandering for me. You're supposed to be subtle about it.

Basically, if you want to pass legislation or put political pressure on colleges to suppress a nonviolent protest movement, you clearly do not believe in free speech.

This describes almost all Western politicians, not just U.S. politicians, of course! No one in the world actually cares about freedom of speech, they just pretend to when it's convenient for their argument (same for the constitution). But it's just super irritating to see Hillary come out as against BDS and therefore against free speech (just as it was irritating to see Trudeau come out against BDS).

That is a wild misunderstanding of my post. Of course Hillary is religious, but she's a Gentile who lived in Arkansas.

I am also religious, and I also didn't grow up celebrating Passover. I also didn't grow up learning Hebrew or speaking Yiddish. That's why I call it Passover and not Pesach, to avoid grabbing and displaying cultural touchstones to which I am not entitled. Like if Mitt Romney went and took Communion on Easter, I would have feelings about that.

It just crossed the line of obvious pandering for me. You're supposed to be subtle about it.
pigeon, I respect the views you have, but I think you're really far off the mark on this one. On a scale of clueless honkey to kippah, how in-the-know is a deeply religious middle American 68 year old woman supposed to be, whose entire job for 5 years was to understand and navigate the complex intersectional reality that is international politics? Who's been to Israel who knows how many times by now to negotiate the cease fire between Israel and Gaza, among other things? Who has worked her entire life to break boundaries? Who has made it a point to reach out to communities who have been marginalized and disaffected?

What exactly was she supposed to say? I don't celebrate Passover, but just like you I put my pantsuit on one leg at a time? I think there are a lot of people who are tired of the lip service politicians give disenfranchised people... And I think it's actually quite welcome when they give a little more of a shit than noting what the Americanized words for some holidays are. When Clinton says Pesach, that's huge. When George W. Bush spoke Spanish, that was huge. This stuff matters.

If you really think that's distasteful then I'm sorry but you're as bad as the people who think she's been pandering to black voters this whole time.

Reagans_with_the_Clintons.jpg

Just found this picture on Wikipedia of Hillary Clinton with then president Ronald Reagan at a governor's dinner in Arkansas. I wonder what he would say back then if he found out that the woman he was talking to would be the first woman president of the United States? And probably the most accomplished woman in American history?

Doubt he would be saying much with the stories of needing amphetamines to wake up. Neurodegenerative diseases are horrific. Glad Hillary is stepping up research funding for it (though im 90% sure it will be another obama Brain initiative aka taking money already allocated which doesn't really help anyone).

Doubt he would be saying much with the stories of needing amphetamines to wake up. Neurodegenerative diseases are horrific. Glad Hillary is stepping up research funding for it (though im 90% sure it will be another obama Brain initiative aka taking money already allocated which doesn't really help anyone).
2 bil in Alzheimer's matters.

royalan

pigeon, I respect the views you have, but I think you're really far off the mark on this one. On a scale of clueless honkey to kippah, how in-the-know is a deeply religious middle American 68 year old woman supposed to be, whose entire job for 5 years was to understand and navigate the complex intersectional reality that is international politics? Who's been to Israel who knows how many times by now to negotiate the cease fire between Israel and Gaza, among other things? Who has worked her entire life to break boundaries? Who has made it a point to reach out to communities who have been marginalized and disaffected?

What exactly was she supposed to say? I don't celebrate Passover, but just like you I put my pantsuit on one leg at a time? I think there are a lot of people who are tired of the lip service politicians give disenfranchised people... And I think it's actually quite welcome when they give a little more of a shit than noting what the Americanized words for some holidays are. When Clinton says Pesach, that's huge. When George W. Bush spoke Spanish, that was huge. This stuff matters.

If you really think that's distasteful then I'm sorry but you're as bad as the people who think she's been pandering to black voters this whole time.

I agree.

I had to roll my eyes at Black Twitter this morning thinking Hillary was pandering with the hot sauce reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom