• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
I'm assuming that by "taking corporate money" we're referring to taking donations from people who work at... corporations...?

If you work for a for-profit you're part of the establishment. McDonald's' employees are rigging the country in favour of Wall Street. Public sector workers and charitable volunteers are the only morally upstanding people in America.

User 406

Banned
Where exactly did this whole thing of tallying up individual contributions by where the donors work start anyway? The constant conflation of employees with the company they work for is terribly misleading.

I'm assuming that by "taking corporate money" we're referring to taking donations from people who work at... corporations...?

Either that or billionaires who are largely associated with a major corporation(like the Kochs), that's what I always took it to mean. It's always weird that liberals assume people working at corporations are all supportive of their corporation's sometimes unethical actions.

My mom works at Verizon but that doesn't mean she supported SOPA.

NeoXChaos

Ce3-GPGWwAASi2H.jpg

LJS2016033101-table1.png

Where exactly did this whole thing of tallying up individual contributions by where the donors work start anyway? The constant conflation of employees with the company they work for is terribly misleading.

Was it McCain-Feingold? Not sure, but I have a feeling it might have been.

Ecotic

Trump at 50 on PredicIt. What a horrendous 2 weeks. I wonder what the day after a 10 point plus loss in Wisconsin looks like. I think a 15 to 20 point loss is possible.

NeoXChaos

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 2h2 hours ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Joy Reid
This is a…problem.

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Donald Jay Bird
It isn’t about helping the “establishment,” it’s about the resources to win down ballot.

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted 7/11 truther
Because President Sanders can’t accomplish anything without a Democratic Congress?

Okay, President Sanders is still going to need their votes. Fundraising for them is one way to ensure he gets them.

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Anthony Resnick
Fundraising for the party builds allies. And you need allies to accomplish anything. Even a revolution.

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Jonathan Mann
Wait, so you don’t think a President Sanders would even have support from Democrats in Congress?

But Obama is only doing that because Republicans control Congress.

Sure! But like, a Sanders agenda will need those $25K a plate people too if it is going to make it through Congress.

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Jonathan Mann
In what world does President Sanders accomplish his agenda with a Dem Congress that doesn’t want to help?

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted STREEVER
Err, the handful of conservative Dems who were a challenge for Obama aren’t there anymore.

And so, spurning the party in fundraising will somehow make them more amenable to working with him?

amelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 2h2 hours ago
Unpopular opinion: You either have radically clean government or you have major policy change. You can’t get both.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 1h1 hour ago
I think one of Obama’s great weaknesses is he hasn’t been the best party leader—he has neglected building up the Democratic Party.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 1h1 hour ago
If Sanders wants to go the same route, that is his prerogative, but it will end badly.

Owzers

is the reasonable abortion view now to want it banned but only jail the abortion provider? Cruz has got to love this, with the media's help.

Cat

I think assuming that the GOP just has one plan is an error at this point. Part of the point of this cycle is that the establishment couldn't even pick their favorite establishment candidate even when the consequence was letting Trump win a bunch of states where winnowing the field earlier would have made his life much harder.

The coalition is so fractured that the establishment isn't even working with one mind any more. I think some people are earnestly planning for that brokered convention while others are already trying to find a way to let Trump win gracefully.

That makes sense.

My precinct is older and Asian. Turnout was strong but not outrageous. The way the polling worked, if you wanted to vote you had to be there at 1 PM or there was no guarantee that you would get to vote, as once everyone there finished voting then the poll would close and they would move on to other business. We definitely didn't get to standing room only and the poll reportedly closed kinda early, upsetting latecomers.

There were a lot of Bernie supporters (judging by stickers), of all demographics. But there were a lot of Clinton supporters too and she won my district by a small margin (reportedly by around a dozen votes out of around 1k cast if the numbers reported unofficially are accurate).

Apparently this is completely not what happened in other precincts so YMMV.

Also of note, this is Rep. Mark Takai's home precinct, he was there to support Clinton. Apparently the Sanders supporters are threatening to primary him because of that support (he is a superdelegate), and the guy that they are gonna run against him is some dude who apparently isn't even from Hawaii.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Primarying the superdelegate rep against someone who doesn't live there seems like a bad strategy.

That makes sense.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Primarying the superdelegate rep against someone who doesn't live there seems like a bad strategy.

Let's be clear:

This desire to primary everyone who doesn't feel the Bern isn't strategy...it's impotent rage.

User 406

Banned
Yeah I mean if you buy drugs you're okay and only the drug dealer goes to jail

????

Same logic with prostitution

And at this point, copyright infringement.

But really, the whole issue of the "guilt" of the woman having the abortion has been a kind of third rail for the anti-abortion folks all along. They're hot to see abortion providers punished, but they won't push for the women who get them to be thrown in jail. Part of it may be enough savvy to realize that it would really set their cause back, but I also think there's a certain hypocrisy there where they understand at some level that they or someone they care about may someday "need" one. There's been literature about anti-abortion women who have had abortions who justify their stance by claiming that their need was real, but everyone else is wrong to do it. There's a lot of class and race based sexism packed in there.

Let's be clear:

This desire to primary everyone who doesn't feel the Bern isn't strategy...it's impotent rage.

Yep.

And since it's impotent, there's really no need to get really worked up over it.

Let 'em blow off some steam, and wait until it's time to unify. We're all on the same side here.

NeoXChaos

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 3m3 minutes ago
Folks have a habit of treating parties and organizations as monolithic when they really aren't.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 4m4 minutes ago
I don't think Sanders' should "acquiesce" to the DNC. I do think he should build allies and influence within it.

7/11 truther
‏@austinjmichaels
@jbouie I think here's our fundamental disagreement. Best thing Sanders could do is blow up the Dem Party as it currently exists

I want you to explain how leftists—a distinct ideological minority—attain anything without coalition politics?

Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team Hillary, and then Team Hillary goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

NeoXChaos

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 2m2 minutes ago
It has entry points at every level of government—county, city, state—and critically, few people participate at those levels.

And while the Democratic Party is a deeply flawed, compromised institution, it also—in the fashion of American parties—is highly porous.

Electoral politics are not the sine qua non of making change but they are a large and important part of it.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 7m7 minutes ago
The Democratic establishment is a collection of groups and people with varied and cross-cutting interests.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 1m1 minute ago
You're much more likely to change a party's direction by becoming an indispensable part of it than by withdrawing from it entirely.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 1m1 minute ago
When you win elections for the party and expand participation, you also win influence.

20 of their friends & 20 of theirs can win local elections in most places.

In most places in this country, you and twenty of your friends can take over a local party organization.
Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 5m5 minutes ago
Christ people, politics is *hard*. To even come close to power, you have to organize, compromise, and even acquiesce.

https://twitter.com/jbouie

CCS

Banned
I got to 178. It seemed to me the higher the correlation the easier it was to have guessed the correlation. On the other hand telling the difference between a .1, .2, and .3 was hard.

I found the same thing. Got to 82, as you say it was when I got a run of low correlations that I ran into trouble.

Holmes

Oh boy. New York looks to be going down the same road as South Carolina where everyone thought "maybe Sanders will only lose by less than 20%!"

Oh boy. New York looks to be going down the same road as South Carolina where everyone thought "maybe Sanders will only lose by less than 20%!"

Actually, I think she'll win by less than 20%. I think 12-15% is the best we can hope for. While she was a sitting Senator, she only beat Obama by 15. I don't see her doing that much better this time.

NeoXChaos

Actually, I think she'll win by less than 20%. I think 12-15% is the best we can hope for. While she was a sitting Senator, she only beat Obama by 15. I don't see her doing that much better this time.

She has the AA vote this time...... she actually won by 18.

True, but I'm sure Obama got a big share of the minority vote..while now Clinton will get that majority.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I mean if you buy drugs you're okay and only the drug dealer goes to jail

????
In this world view the women (and fetus) are helpless victims of the perpetrators of the crime.

Bonus! This has the mysoginist side perk of implying a woman can't possibly give informed consent or have agency to decide to have an abortion in the first place. Women thinking for themselves? What's next in Obama's America?!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team Hillary, and then Team Hillary goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.
Just popping in to use this to exemplify a criticism of this community: instead of simply saying problems are overstated or poorly understood (money in politics), people feel the need to balance the argument with those on one far end (purity test) by going to the other (dismissing the problem) instead of meeting in the middle where you know the truth usually lies. This is especially bad when it involves Democrats, where criticism is discounted because the other side is so much worse.

Some people here very much recognize the nuance, much more than I do, but the hivemind (one I agree with the majority of the time) overwhelms it. It's more like-minded people agreeing than discussion.

Holmes

I wonder if this will follow Ohio, where Clinton actually won whites overall compared to Sanders, even if it is a small margin.
She won whites in Ohio because independents opted for the Republican primary instead so they could vote for Kasich/against Trump. Independents are not even voting in the NY primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom