• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
But she's going to lose a non-zero portion of the white vote this time. I hope I'm wrong. I just think expecting her to get a 25 point win is unrealistic. I could be wrong, though.
Ask Neo he has the scoop

Ce4mnAbXEAEZmzW.jpg

The smart thing about forcing Bernie to continue to compete in Wisconsin is that he can't spend time in New York. The longer you keep him out of New York, the better the margins. The longer he has to focus on New York, the less time he has for the April 26th states.

Make him blow as much money as possible. Don't give him a single media cycle. Repeat until you win.

(And my bad for getting the 2008 NY margins wrong. :) )

Kyosaiga

Banned
So I was reading Bernies wiki article and came across this:

Sanders entered the race for the U.S. Senate on April 21, 2005, after Senator Jim Jeffords announced that he would not seek a fourth term. Chuck Schumer, chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, endorsed Sanders, a critical move as it meant that no Democrat running against Sanders could expect to receive financial help from the party. Sanders was also endorsed by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Democratic National Committee chairman and former Vermont governor Howard Dean. Dean said in May 2005 that he considered Sanders an ally who "votes with the Democrats 98% of the time".[106] Then-Senator Barack Obama also campaigned for Sanders in Vermont in March 2006.[107] Sanders entered into an agreement with the Democratic Party, much as he had as a congressman, to be listed in their primary but to decline the nomination should he win, which he did.[108][109]

So the establishment is fine when they let you gain a senate seat eh?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Did I miss why we had our "hate Bernie for not already committing to party unity at the end of March" circlejerk?

I mean, maybe I'm a little more optimistic, but until Sanders decides to publicly state that he's staying in the race and trying to win because "look what happened to Robert Kennedy!" - I think everyone can sort of calm the fuck down. :p

Gods, I wish 2008 had happened with social media the way it is. People would have had full on meltdowns for like 5 months and then everything would have been normal and people would not have been able to handle it, lol.

Did I miss why we had our "hate Bernie for not already committing to party unity at the end of March" circlejerk?

I mean, maybe I'm a little more optimistic, but until Sanders decides to publicly state that he's staying in the race and trying to win because "look what happened to Robert Kennedy!" - I think everyone can sort of calm the fuck down. :p

Gods, I wish 2008 had happened with social media the way it is. People would have had full on meltdowns for like 5 months and then everything would have been normal and people would not have been able to handle it, lol.
I remember when Hillary said that me and my friends started speculating that she took out a hit on Obama.

Oh to be 16 and dumb. I probably would have been a hardcore BernieBro as opposed to merely a jaded supporter.

I just wish we could get to GE mode already. 2008 was a lot more vicious, but at the end of the day Hillary still did her part for Obama.

The smart thing about forcing Bernie to continue to compete in Wisconsin is that he can't spend time in New York. The longer you keep him out of New York, the better the margins. The longer he has to focus on New York, the less time he has for the April 26th states.

Make him blow as much money as possible. Don't give him a single media cycle. Repeat until you win.

(And my bad for getting the 2008 NY margins wrong. :) )

the long drawn out April schedule really kills his short term momentum.
Bernie thrives on generating bumps post victories while he suffers from having the next ''real'' contest dragged out 3 weeks away

who gives a shit about Chenney's Wyoming

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Some people want or think the DNC is in the same boat as the RNC. That is crumbling and infected.

I mean, the DNC is no shining beacon of effectiveness, but the RNC is a whole other level of shitfuckery.

It's not about party unity, although I cannot recall a time in 2008 when either President Obama or Hillary didn't immediately say they would support the other in the General. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember hearing it.

The "hate" is coming from Bernie refusing to say he'll support down ballot Democrats. The question wasn't just if he loses, but was just in general would he turn his support down ballot as well. The answer should have been yes. for no reason other than optics.

And the Kennedy comment was gross in 2008.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Some people want or think the DNC is in the same boat as the RNC. That is crumbling and infected.

To be fair, the non-Obama DNC is basically known for its ability to repeatedly fuck up elections on a regular basis. Leave it this way, even with the fiery shitshow that is the GOP, we're still not sure DWS is a better chairman than Preibus. I'm still not going to believe in a competent DNC until we win an election that we normally shouldn't. :p

It's not about party unity, although I cannot recall a time in 2008 when either President Obama or Hillary didn't immediately say they would support the other in the General. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember hearing it.

The "hate" is coming from Bernie refusing to say he'll support down ballot Democrats. The question wasn't just if he loses, but was just in general would he turn his support down ballot as well. The answer should have been yes. for no reason other than optics.

Clinton didn't end up actually bringing up the "support the nominee" bit until May, when exit polling started confirming that a lot of Clinton voters were planning to vote for McCain. (The exit poll in WV was that 36% of Clinton supporters in WV would vote for Obama. Keep that in mind when you worry about Sanders supporters currently.)

The Kennedy comment came near the end of May during the primary (the part that makes me mad about the Kennedy comment is that the next day, Obama gave her the benefit of the doubt on the comment, but then the Clintons blamed Obama's team for "pulling the quote out of context").

Hell it's not even April yet. :p I'm not too terribly worried about anything any of them say until like June. History has shown that people posture and talk and etc etc until it actually matters, and then they coalesce. :D

Just popping in to use this to exemplify a criticism of this community: instead of simply saying problems are overstated or poorly understood (money in politics), people feel the need to balance the argument with those on one far end (purity test) by going to the other (dismissing the problem) instead of meeting in the middle where you know the truth usually lies. This is especially bad when it involves Democrats, where criticism is discounted because the other side is so much worse.

Some people here very much recognize the nuance, much more than I do, but the hivemind (one I agree with the majority of the time) overwhelms it. It's more like-minded people agreeing than discussion.

Actually I just saw an opportunity for a Team America joke.

But whatever floats your boat.

Can't wait for the endless bitching that the DNC stole the election for Hillary by using superdelegates, even if she ends up with a lead of 400-500 pledged delegates as Nate mentioned the other day.

To be fair, Devine was probably the best player left out there. He's an idiot, but he's at least experienced. I can't think of anyone else who has run a national campaign that would be available....probably would have to go back to Carter, and I doubt most of them are still working.

Yes, let's break out old Tad's resume and take a gander... What Presidential campaigns has Tad worked for in some measurable capacity? Carter '80 (lost), Mondale '84 (lost), Dukakis '88 (lost), Kerrey '92 (lost nomination to Clinton), Gore '00 (lost), Kerry '04 (lost)...

Maybe Sanders should have hired someone a little less experienced.

noshten

Bernie will have exactly three weeks after WI to campaign in NY. March fundraising looking good already at 40 million more and looking like a late push to out raise his February total. So the Brooklynite campaign Bernie will be running in NY should be well funded.

Yep Hills is gross

Bowdz

Can't wait for the endless bitching that the DNC stole the election for Hillary by using superdelegates, even if she ends up with a lead of 400-500 pledged delegates as Nate mentioned the other day.

Wait, is that a legitimate possibility? A 400 delegate lead? Will that primarily occur in April 26th?

Wait, is that a legitimate possibility? A 400 delegate lead? Will that primarily occur in April 26th?
Huge delegate gains in NY, CA, MD, PA, and NJ. By far the five richest delegate states remaining, and Nate said if she won them by the margins polls are currently predicting she could double her current lead.

Holmes

Sanders can spend all his time in Brooklyn, Syracuse or Bumfuck upstate New York and Clinton can campaign in other states that vote in April.

Bernie will have exactly three weeks after WI to campaign in NY. March fundraising looking good already at 40 million more and looking like a late push to out raise his February total. So the Brooklynite campaign Bernie will be running in NY should be well funded.

Yep Hills is gross

2 weeks. April 19th.

And he can spend a ton of money like he did in SC, and I doubt he'll move the numbers really as NY is completely stacked against him. No independents at all, and any independents who wanted to register as Dem to vote in the primary had to do so by October before Bernie was really on fire. Also Hillary is well liked in the state among registered Democrats, has a huge ground game in place, and one of Bernie's biggest platforms, anti-Wall Street, is a center piece of the NY economy, so it will be the toughest crowd to convince IMO.

Bill is loved in NY.
Hillary can just parachute Bill there while she goes campaign elsewhere.

Plus she has Governor Cuomo on her side, so he can be put in Albany doing his thing

Open Primary? glad we have closed primaries coming up.

Yes, Wisconsin is an open primary.

You don't even have to reveal which primary you intend to vote in. They hand you a ballot with both parties on it and instruct you to only fill it out for one party. Whenever I was there it was inevitable that someone wouldn't listen, the machine would reject the ballot for having both parties filled out, and the poll workers would have to give them a new ballot and explain again that they can only vote in one primary.

At least, that's the way it worked when I lived there, which wasn't that long ago.

Yes, let's break out old Tad's resume and take a gander... What Presidential campaigns has Tad worked for in some measurable capacity? Carter '80 (lost), Mondale '84 (lost), Dukakis '88 (lost), Kerrey '92 (lost nomination to Clinton), Gore '00 (lost), Kerry '04 (lost)...

Maybe Sanders should have hired someone a little less experienced.

You are aware that with the singular exception of 92 that evaluation would have applied to every Democratic strategist who participated in any of those elections (and not Obama's campaign in 08) right?

The way the Washington state Democratic Party picks a presidential nominee is so insular and clubby it scarcely qualifies as democracy.

The caucuses held here last weekend were described in media reports as “packed” and “bursting at the seams.” Lines around the block were reported, as well as crowds in overflow rooms. It gave the feeling of massive civic engagement.

But in reality, only 5.8 percent of the state’s registered voters showed up. That means 94 percent of voters didn’t. Even the most moribund municipal election for, say, water commissioner, gets turnout rates five times that amount.

Two political scientists from Brigham Young University studied these events, resulting in a paper called “Who Caucuses?” Mostly it’s “the wealthy, educated, white and interested.” This fits with The Seattle Times portrait of one caucus in the city’s most nonwhite neighborhood: “While the caucus was located in the racially diverse but gentrifying Rainier Valley, most of those who turned out were white.”

Now the Sanders supporters are upset about another antidemocratic fixture of the Democrats, the superdelegates. These are the party bosses who can sway a close election. Sanders supporters righteously demand that they “heed the will of the people!”

Can you invoke the people’s will when 94 percent of the people weren’t there?

kingkitty

Tomorrow Hillary is stumping nearbyish in Syracuse. I kinda want to snapchat it but I'll probably miss it entirely. I thought Bernie would be stumping here first since I figure he'd perform better in central/upstate but eh, guess his eyes are still on Wisconsin at this point.

Two weeks

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Yep Hills is gross

You are as good at telling Time as Bernie is with financial markets ^_^

Sanders hasn't done anything as egregious as Hillary's spring 08 actions/comments. My problem with him is the continued milking of supporter's money, and his supporter's ugly delusions/slandering of Hillary Clinton.

I'm not going to get outraged at stupid comments Sanders makes because '08 taught me that the losing side in a drawn-out primary like this starts making a lot of stupid comments (as an Obama supporter back then, I was downright angry with Clinton).

What I think is significant about his comments signaling a lack of commitment to helping downballot is that it just confirms what BS the whole "political revolution" is. If it starts and ends with electing the president plus some lip service to the idea that young people should vote in midterms then it's not a revolution at all.

This isn't really specific to Sanders, but the left in this country is far too obsessed with the presidency over all else. If people want to move the Democratic Party to the left they need to start by getting candidates who are further to the left running for downballot races, all the way to the local level. They need to do likewise with positions internal to the party, again down to the local level. Finally, if people want to move the USA as a whole to the left, the way to do it is from within the Democratic Party, since third parties and independents aren't getting anything done with the way elections work in this country.

You are aware that with the singular exception of 92 that evaluation would have applied to every Democratic strategist who participated in any of those elections (and not Obama's campaign in 08) right?

Well yeah, but those aren't results that you should point to as a proven record of "experience." The only Democratic successes in 36 years have this guy's fingerprints nowhere near them, but he's involved in literally every single failure (soon to include Sanders)? It's time to stop giving this man work advising Democratic Presidential campaigns.

FiggyCal

Banned
Sanders hasn't done anything as egregious as Hillary's spring 08 actions/comments. My problem with him is the continued milking of supporter's money, and his supporter's ugly delusions/slandering of Hillary Clinton.

One of your problems with him is that people who are not him, online behave like people online tend to?

My mother's girlfriend invoked this line of reasoning the other day. She wasn't quite so delusional, but she was definitely playing up the "Super delegates will vote for Bernie and he'll win" line of reasoning. I had to gently remind her that the Super delegates have never risen as a monolithic group and overridden the pledged delegate totals, and Hillary leads pledged delegates by several hundred. She seemed somewhat resigned to failure after that, but she's older, so she doesn't get as emotionally invested as younger people going through their first big election. The delusion from younger Sanders supporters is starting to turn into vitriol against Clinton, and that's sad to see, since politically they are extremely close (certainly closer than any Republican competitor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom